• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Studstill

Smash Ace
Yeah, I`m looking at the .8 Mupen64k, that has Kaillera. Seems to have the record functionality. I guess my question remains about downsides, is it really just not used due to inertia/status quo? So as of right now, there is now way AT ALL to "convert" krecs, either to another emulator, or to another video format in general? The only option is to screen-capture, and FRAPS worked poorly for me at best. Perhaps that`s a pc load issue, but regardless is a bit of a rigged solution.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

Not sure if I haven't experimented with initial dash animation, yet. But I think my controller isn't letting me dashdance? Does that happen, to some people, playing on emulator? I'm using a PS1 controller. For all I know, it may not be sensitive enough?

I apologize if it's been asked, before. Not sure if it fits in that "calibration" thingy. 'Deadzone' is set to 30%, for what it's worth.

EDIT: Other question.
- Can one get a decent practice, against CPU's? They seem to fall down alot, after I hit them. What do I do to continue the combos?

Last edited by a moderator:

SilentShottt

Smash Cadet
This might be a very dumb question lol

About a year ago, i was playing reep (what happened to that guy?) and he told me that DKs fair 'armpit hit box' (the one that sends you forward instead of spiking) can break yoshi armor at any %.

Is there any truth to that?

Shears

Smash Master
Yeah, I`m looking at the .8 Mupen64k, that has Kaillera. Seems to have the record functionality. I guess my question remains about downsides, is it really just not used due to inertia/status quo? So as of right now, there is now way AT ALL to "convert" krecs, either to another emulator, or to another video format in general? The only option is to screen-capture, and FRAPS worked poorly for me at best. Perhaps that`s a pc load issue, but regardless is a bit of a rigged solution.
Dude, why do you always use the backwards apostrophe? In skype, smashboards, your website. Its just weird.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I've told him already that it was wrong and ugly, but he's convinced he's right and everyone else is wrong... While I do think it is unprofessional to use it on his site, in the end it is his site, so he's free to do what he wants.

But it's disgustingly ugly.

Madao

Not sure if I haven't experimented with initial dash animation, yet. But I think my controller isn't letting me dashdance? Does that happen, to some people, playing on emulator? I'm using a PS1 controller. For all I know, it may not be sensitive enough?

I apologize if it's been asked, before. Not sure if it fits in that "calibration" thingy. 'Deadzone' is set to 30%, for what it's worth.

- Can one get a decent practice, against CPU's? They seem to fall down alot, after I hit them. What do I do to continue the combos?
30% Deadzone might be too high. First of all, are you using an analog stick? Also you should try using the tas input plugin, because it will show your exact input values. So you will know if you have full range for X and Y. I don't remember where I got the tas input plugin, so you will have to google it.

Assuming you are talking about training mode, you can use a gameshark code or if you are playing on emulator, you can use a memory editor like cheat engine to set the training mode cpu to lv 9. The only problem with that is, they sometimes hold the shield out until it breaks (if the cpu is set to stand).

Studstill

Smash Ace
It`s a mark, people. I feel like if I [for instance] used brackets (instead of parentheses) you people would....you people. It`s a mark. It makes the contraction more noticeable, and IMO isn`t even covered under the grounds of any grammatical law, maybe even not typographical.
But for real...UNPROFESSIONAL? Seriously?

I always liked 2 Level 9 Marios, once you can crush that add in a Luigi, all on teams, team attack off. But honestly, computers aren`t really for combo learning. They teach things like how to space, how to read and also a great window into "frame perfect" timing, in that the computer never misses the input window, so you know exactly
when you, or your opponent, will recover.
3v1 is great for teaching you not to get caught, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
accent graves are meant to give accents to letters in words. they do not take the place of a missing letter in contractions and they do not show possession.

for real, unprofessional. that's like using periods to show time (3.30 instead of 3:30), two dots to indicate pauses..instead of ellipses...or 'single quotation marks' instead of "double quotes" when you're quoting someone. your bracket example is the same thing.

also: computer opponents do not teach you how to read. this is a silly statement. the cpu will always do the same things over and over. the habits, trends, likes and dislikes of real people are not comparable to the programmed habits of the cpu.

take into consideration these facts: all the computers are easily gimped and do not upb more than once when recovering, don't DI, consistently dsmash on platforms, use b moves to excess, don't combo, don't edgeguard, don't ledgehog, don't read your habits so you can react and mix up, seldom tech, seldom perform advanced techniques (like jabgrab, platdrop ff uair, etc), consistently roll if you get near them, and pull off things humans rarely do (like instant ledge cancel techs that result in punishes).

none of these things translate well to playing a human opponent.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Training against one CPU is already a bad idea, so playing against multiple ones is really the worst thing you could do. Some things that work against a CPU don't work against a real player and some things that work against a real player don't work against a CPU. This will only result in you developping an anti-CPU playstyle completely inefficient against a human being. Simple examples: 1) Kirby's rock works everytime against a CPU and almost never (or really situationally) against a real player. 2) Spamming rolls to dodge attacks/move on the stage. And there are a lot more. If you played against real players (and good ones) often, then it wouldn't do much harm to play CPUs, but CPUs only is a bad idea.
In addition to what Cobr said, shielding is OP against CPUs and you'll get used to shielding way too much.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Don't listen to these jobes. Playing CPUs is a fantastic training tactic. Hell, I learned how to play the game from playing CPUs.

If you're going mad serious, trying your hardest to win against computers, that's bad lol. Don't do that.

Like any SSB training, the secret is simple:

Do not play to win. Instead, play to learn.

You've gotta do what works for you, man. Do what makes YOU feel comfortable.

Advice will only get you so far.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Sorry Studstill but I have to agree with them about your apostrophe issues. And it really doesn't even bother me like some people.

But it will shed a bad light on you once you get out into the professional world if you're sending e-mails to co-workers and clients using the wrong apostrophe key.

You really should get out of the habit before it costs you.

Last edited:

Studstill

Smash Ace
Cobr, Sheer, you claim authority, you state conclusions, yet your attempts at "evidence" are woefully anecdotal or even make the opposite point!

Cobr:

"also: computer opponents do not teach you how to read. this is a silly statement."

Silly statement comment is unnecessary and counterproductive; if you are trying to engage or participate in a debate, just show why you think the other side is wrong, don`t waste words and offend by insulting the other person`s theory.

" the cpu will always do the same things over and over."

Exactly. This is precisely my point. It`s a computer. If you are in spot X and they are in Y, then Z will always happen. It is an advanced form of Training Mode, where the opponent attacks you in the same way for every situation. This is not to say they just Forward Smash, they use all the moves in the game, when appropriate, and frame perfect. Most humans cannot reproduce the latter, and most likely don`t or shouldn`t do the former. This leads to learning spacing in a relaxed, controlled environment, as opposed to against the more unpredictable humans. Having the exact same input every time is the basis of fundamentals; let`s try an analogy:

Bruce Lee doesn`t train how to block a punch by walking around Manhattan picking fights. He gets one of his students to stand in front of him and LITERALLY throw the same punch, thousands of times. That way the desired skill is focused upon, and the unpredictability of fights, of human behavior does not get in the way of PRACTICE.

" the habits, trends, likes and dislikes of real people are not comparable to the programmed habits of the cpu."

Yes, no one is disputing this, so again, unless it`s relevant to a counterpoint that you are making, than you are committing a major fallacy, stating facts that all agree on as part of your argument.

"take into consideration these facts: all the computers are easily gimped and do not upb more than once when recovering, don't DI, consistently dsmash on platforms, use b moves to excess, don't combo, don't edgeguard, don't ledgehog, don't read your habits so you can react and mix up, seldom tech, seldom perform advanced techniques (like jabgrab, platdrop ff uair, etc), consistently roll if you get near them, and pull off things humans rarely do (like instant ledge cancel techs that result in punishes)."

You then just ramble on with more "facts" about what the computer does, again, NO ONE IS DISPUTING THESE THINGS. You fail to make any point at all, until finally just stating your thesis again, still completely unsupported:

"none of these things translate well to playing a human opponent."

Thankfully for you, Sangoku came in with an ACTUAL argument:

"shielding is OP against CPUs and you'll get used to shielding way too much."

Which is both insightful and correct. This is a downside to exclusively playing CPUs, or as Kero said, having the wrong mentality about playing CPUs. It is training on Spacing and Reading, not on how to beat a specific human player or playstyle.

And finally, WTF? Sangoku too, for "adding on" [to your 'point'] The guy said:

" Can one get a decent practice, against CPU's? They seem to fall down alot, after I hit them. What do I do to continue the combos?"

Me: Proposed tried and true personal training methods to focus on the things CPUs can teach you.
Kero: Encouraging words and general advice, again, on how to get the most out of CPU practice

Cobr: No. Don`t play the computer. (Not even some advice on what actually to do to train instead, assuming no humans, which is what the OP was)
Sangoku: Adding on to No, it will form bad habits, because you`re an idiot scrub who can`t learn how to shield less against stronger opponents. (Shield is OP against normal humans, too.)

SEE THE DIFFERENCE?

Sheer:

"Sorry Studstill but I have to agree with them about your apostrophe issues. And it really doesn't even bother me like some people."

That`s great news. If what I, a citizen of the United States and a free-willed human, use to JOIN TWO WORDS bothers you it`s going to be a tough life.

"But it will shed a bad light on you once you get out into the professional world if you're sending e-mails to co-workers and clients using the wrong apostrophe key. You really should get out of the habit before it costs you."

How do you know this, that it will "shed a bad light" or "cost me"? Are you in an HR field? Or perhaps run your own firm? Have you ever had a boss or client remark on whether or not ' or ` was used in a negative light? Did they fire the employee, or end the contract?
The answer to all of these is No. And further, as a paid content writer, "adminstative assistant" at law firm, and general writer, I have produced literally thousands of pages of documents; most of them I`m sure with contractions. I have never heard anyone even notice, much less object to something so trivial. Not even once. It will not "cost me" professionally, and again, do either of you ever support anything point you make with evidence and reason? You should get on that. The internet and SB will be a better place for it. Or is it SWF? Who the hell knows, because we`re more concerned with
`
versus
'
than having a consistent name for our forum.

Peace.
[drops mike]

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
you make the least sense of anyone who has ever played smash and i am sorry that you do not realize it

playing against the computer doesn't mean you have learned how to read human opponents, and it never has, and your belief that it does greatly inhibits you from improving

that is all

mixa

Banned via Warnings
stop the offtopic guys take it to the social thread this is a question thread

question: if bruce lee had a month to learn the game, would he beat m2k?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Studstill if you don't think poor grammar or blatant incorrect use of the English language can have a negative effect in the professional world you simply live in a different world than the rest of us.

You're right, poor grammar has never once resulted in the loss of a job opportunity or a negative performance review. *rolls eyes*

Keep using your accent marks instead of apostrophes. You're a rebel out to change the world. Don't let anyone stop you.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
bruce lee would just kick m2k in the face

next question: are me jimmyjoe kero and valoem really going to connecticut tomorrow

Sangoku

Smash Master
Alright, exams are finished now I can go back on spending time arguing about trivial subjects on an internet video game forum.

There was a question about training with CPUs and there were answers. Since no agreement was reached, I don't think it's offtopic to discuss that. The apostrophe vs l'accent grave thing is indeed offtopic and unrelated to smash (ie -> social thread if someone wants to continue lol).

Now on the CPU subject. Studstill I don't know if you're super salty because of the apostrophe discussion, but you shouldn't mix it up with the other argument and you should stay civil.

Some of the things you say are making me wonder if you've already played a good player. Have you played someone of Boom's or Zenyore's caliber? I'm not trying to bash your skill with a rhetorical question, I'm legitimately asking. Because saying shielding is OP against real humans is simply wrong (maybe I just didn't understand what you said). And I'm speaking from my experience as I play CPUs too much I tend to shield too much and Zenyore (for example) punishes me with ease.

Shielding is just one element of the overall passive playstyle one would develop against a CPU (again, because it works), and why would you do differently if you only play CPUs? You see that a combo is working against a CPU and you see that a passive* playstyle is working against a CPU, how on earth would you know (if you never play good human players) that the former is something beneficial to keep, while the latter is detrimental to your game? The dilemna holds true for anything that works against a CPU, thus so many Kirby's rock spammers and roll spammers among non competitive players. I see absolutely no reason why someone would be able to distinguish and I'm sorry to say, but experience proved me right. How many CPU only players entered the scene by being good? And the fact Kero is stepping in with his cliché/naïve/Narutoesque attitutde is laughable. He says he learned to play against them? Well yeah, then he got destroyed by Battlecow. Of course you will learn the game by playing against CPUs, but that's not the point, we're talking about getting good. Now he is really good, but he has played in a ton of tourneys, he plays with different good human players, and he plays against CPUs. Also funny he says that you need to play them to learn and not to win, while he is himself doing the wait&shield strategy against them (which is directed at winning and not learning). If you read my former post (the one I quoted), I said "If you played against real players (and good ones) often, then it wouldn't do much harm to play CPUs, but CPUs only is a bad idea.". That's exactly Kero's case.

Now you're free to prove me wrong by providing examples of people who got so good by playing CPUs only. I personally don't know any, and even if one existed, we're talking about rules, not exceptions. Telling someone "yeah, do that training, it worked only for one person in the world, but that's good enough" isn't a good advice.

*Just so we agree on the definitions, passive doesn't mean defensive. While it is arguable that a defensive playstyle is optimal (or at least very good) in that game, it's not the case of being passive. Being defensive means you work a lot on your spacing (ie putting space between you and your opponent, moving to stay out of their range), while passive is waiting and shielding an aerial then punish on the landing lag (for example).

Kati

Smash Lord
What is the history behind the smash 64 stagelist? What was the largest amount of stages people agreed to play on?

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Alright, exams are finished now I can go back on spending time arguing about trivial subjects on an internet video game forum.

There was a question about training with CPUs and there were answers. Since no agreement was reached, I don't think it's offtopic to discuss that. The apostrophe vs l'accent grave thing is indeed offtopic and unrelated to smash (ie -> social thread if someone wants to continue lol).

Now on the CPU subject. Studstill I don't know if you're super salty because of the apostrophe discussion, but you shouldn't mix it up with the other argument and you should stay civil.

Some of the things you say are making me wonder if you've already played a good player. Have you played someone of Boom's or Zenyore's caliber? I'm not trying to bash your skill with a rhetorical question, I'm legitimately asking. Because saying shielding is OP against real humans is simply wrong (maybe I just didn't understand what you said). And I'm speaking from my experience as I play CPUs too much I tend to shield too much and Zenyore (for example) punishes me with ease.

Shielding is just one element of the overall passive playstyle one would develop against a CPU (again, because it works), and why would you do differently if you only play CPUs? You see that a combo is working against a CPU and you see that a passive* playstyle is working against a CPU, how on earth would you know (if you never play good human players) that the former is something beneficial to keep, while the latter is detrimental to your game? The dilemna holds true for anything that works against a CPU, thus so many Kirby's rock spammers and roll spammers among non competitive players. I see absolutely no reason why someone would be able to distinguish and I'm sorry to say, but experience proved me right. How many CPU only players entered the scene by being good? And the fact Kero is stepping in with his cliché/naïve/Narutoesque attitutde is laughable. He says he learned to play against them? Well yeah, then he got destroyed by Battlecow. Of course you will learn the game by playing against CPUs, but that's not the point, we're talking about getting good. Now he is really good, but he has played in a ton of tourneys, he plays with different good human players, and he plays against CPUs. Also funny he says that you need to play them to learn and not to win, while he is himself doing the wait&shield strategy against them (which is directed at winning and not learning). If you read my former post (the one I quoted), I said "If you played against real players (and good ones) often, then it wouldn't do much harm to play CPUs, but CPUs only is a bad idea.". That's exactly Kero's case.

Now you're free to prove me wrong by providing examples of people who got so good by playing CPUs only. I personally don't know any, and even if one existed, we're talking about rules, not exceptions. Telling someone "yeah, do that training, it worked only for one person in the world, but that's good enough" isn't a good advice.

*Just so we agree on the definitions, passive doesn't mean defensive. While it is arguable that a defensive playstyle is optimal (or at least very good) in that game, it's not the case of being passive. Being defensive means you work a lot on your spacing (ie putting space between you and your opponent, moving to stay out of their range), while passive is waiting and shielding an aerial then punish on the landing lag (for example).
i didn't start training against comps until like a year after battlecow you goon

and **** off with the naruto comments ya ****in jabronies

we both want to be the best

that's about it

i'm getting too old to deal with this ****

goddamn kids

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
What is the history behind the smash 64 stagelist? What was the largest amount of stages people agreed to play on?
I remember in the jurassic period of kaillera people used to find any stage acceptable for 1v1. Then Mushroom kingdom was the first to go. I believe yoshi's story and sector Z stopped being played at the same time. After a while Zebes was taken out and saffron city was used for tournament rules for a long time (with the idiotic rule that only ness players were allowed to ban that stage) before it was also banned and the american metagame became hyrule centric. Then hyrule was banned last year and here we are.

Last edited:

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
ness is funner so that means he can ban saffron
Unrelated to your post but a good way to get your attention. In The Apex 2012 set vs Isai, around 12:45 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YxmW1KkMDj8#t=761) you jump out of shield into a dair to escape his shield pressure. Is there any reason you did that specifically? Would things like usmash oos work too?

Another general question for anyone to answer: Does weight affect shield stun like it does for hitstun? An example would be Samus, who is difficult to combo due to her heavy weight and getting out of hitstun quicker than others.

Last edited:

gomez

Smash Rookie
A somewhat vague question mainly directed at high-level players who play both Melee and 64:

Can you outline the general differences in how to approach the neutral game? I sometimes find it hard to adjust my mindset when switching games and it would be good to have a rough list of things to think about.

Examples of the sort of adjustments I consciously think about already:
-Shielding is terribad in 64. Things like dashdance grabs seem to be better ways of punishing poorly spaced attacks.
-Because there are fewer defensive options, "playing safe" usually means spacing aerials and making the occasional feint, seeking that super important first hit. In melee I feel I can be a little more ground-based because aerials have lag and the average ftilt/dtilt poke seems better.
-Crouch cancelling is useful.
etc

Also, is rolling equally bad in both games?

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
A somewhat vague question mainly directed at high-level players who play both Melee and 64:

Can you outline the general differences in how to approach the neutral game? I sometimes find it hard to adjust my mindset when switching games and it would be good to have a rough list of things to think about.

Examples of the sort of adjustments I consciously think about already:
-Shielding is terribad in 64. Things like dashdance grabs seem to be better ways of punishing poorly spaced attacks.
-Because there are fewer defensive options, "playing safe" usually means spacing aerials and making the occasional feint, seeking that super important first hit. In melee I feel I can be a little more ground-based because aerials have lag and the average ftilt/dtilt poke seems better.
-Crouch cancelling is useful.
etc

Also, is rolling equally bad in both games?
Rolling is basically equally bad in both games with some exceptions (mostly melee such as rolling out of some pressure with certain characters in some matchups like vs. a Falco's shine pressure maybe.) CC is useful but more in melee for certain characters or vs. certain matchups (like you don't want to CC usually vs peach's in melee due to that dishwasher, i mean down smash, or maybe not crouch cancelling vs. Kirby's up tilt in 64.)

In terms of poking, you are kind of right, though there is aerial spacing/aerial camping in melee, it is quite more apparent in 64.

Honestly, if you are using Pikachu like in your profile, the best way to learn how to approach is watching videos. There are many ways to play your character simply due to how good Pikachu is. A great examples are the players in Peru (like Marca or Gerson) since a lot of their videos are Pikachu dittos or Pikachu vs. Kirby, though the majority of matches are now on Dreamland and well they play Hyrule mostly. Outside of there, Kefit and Banze are great examples.

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
URGENT

this ****ing mayflash adapter is being a ****ing prick

my laptop has been saying "usb device not recognized" whenever i plug the mayflash into it, and the controller just won't work

i have to unplug it and plug it in like 30 times before it register
and then it'll stop working halfway through a session

sometimes i even have to plug just the adapter and then the controller in, i can't have both connected

laptop has said it was installing unknown device drivers, but there are no drivers for the mayflash, it's plug n play

knitephox said it may be a soldering problem but i don't think it is, i feel it's a laptop thing

help

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
URGENT

this ****ing mayflash adapter is being a ****ing prick

my laptop has been saying "usb device not recognized" whenever i plug the mayflash into it, and the controller just won't work

i have to unplug it and plug it in like 30 times before it register
and then it'll stop working halfway through a session

sometimes i even have to plug just the adapter and then the controller in, i can't have both connected

laptop has said it was installing unknown device drivers, but there are no drivers for the mayflash, it's plug n play

knitephox said it may be a soldering problem but i don't think it is, i feel it's a laptop thing

help
As Knite said, if possible, try it out on another computer. Recently I had some issues where every single one of my USB slots completely stopped working for everything. I did a google search on my brother's computer and a recommendation was to take out my power cord for like 10 minutes then put it back in and boot up. Worked for me, but it's more likely a wire issue than a laptop issue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom