• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Tenka

Smash Rookie
There seems to be quite a community here. A whole bunch of people really like Super Smash Brothers. Awesome. When I was younger I was very addicted to the game, the first one I mean. I spent ages trying to complete the story mode on level 9 with only one life, memorizing the CPU behavior and cheating against Fox, but then I took a very long break. After I'd found my way back to it I found that the controls had started to bother me, namely what I believe you call up-tap jumping. I usually couldn't manage to hold up for an up-a attack without jumping, and the more I thought about it the crazier it drove me. Most likely it's just something about me, but I lost the ability to enjoy the game, I wasn't capable of holding up without jumping and it seemed to be making me lose all the time. So I stopped playing and lost a lot of my ability, but I've always wondered if it were possible to create a Gameshark code to disable up-tap jumping, and every few years I'll scour the internet trying to find one, but was always disappointed only to find infinite time, infinite lives, and other game breaking seatbelts. Later still I discovered big dedicated communities to these specific games, like Smashboards here, on which I found all kinds of new codes. But all of these codes seem to be about tweaking much smaller values, and making tiny in depth corrections to ensure that everything in the game is even. It's fascinating how thoroughly some players have unwound the games and admired or corrected details which people like myself had never before considered; I have trouble even following the newspeak of these players. I have not found anything about a code for disabling up-tap jumping, but there are deep archives of discussion here that I haven't been around for, and I haven't been able to come up with a good enough question to search for.
Please, could any of you wise players tell me if a code or modification to remove up-tap jumping in my game is possible, and point me towards how I can manage this? Per-player is just fine, anything is just fine, I've found nothing for almost a decade. Thanks for listening, and ahead of time if you can help me.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
just train yourself not to do it. there are multiple different heights that you can achieve by using the stick to jump (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqIrZRA1XDs) and if you disable that, you lose many options.

realistically, it takes like a week of conscious effort of not double jumping when you uair or uairing when you usmash to get into the habit of doing it, and then it'll just be muscle memory after that.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Welcome to smashboards :)

Now concerning your problem, I think you might be expecting our answer: cheating isn't the way to go. First you need to be sure you know how not to stick jump while inputting up. You have several possibilities: you can buffer up, ie press up when you can't jump (during an attack for example) and keep the joystick up. Or you can lightly press (go half way with the joystick in a way you won't jump but still uptilt). Once you know that you just need training and it will come naturally, as it isn't supposed to be too much of a skill barrier.

To answer your question directly, there's no such cheat existing, but if you really want it that bad and you play on computer, maybe with a macro you can sort something out.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
^looks like falcon was just BARELY low enough to hit the ground before being shot by the hug; then missed the tech and slid Neat, never seen that b4

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
@ Sangoku Sangoku - can the european smash index be merged into the new one? and how long would it take before we can ask for the ranking system thread to be stickied?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I'm almost sure at one time I've read this whole thread. Too bad I didn't save the useful posts like that guy who compiled the 'Smashboards playbook', a word doc compiling various posts from the character threads.

But I occasionally see something and remember a good post that's related, like when tacos evaded Ruoka's grab with a jump OoS, and I remembered this post by Star King.

texh

Smash Cadet
Is there anything I can do about my joypad?

During calibration it doesn't register the Z axis and its rotation and so it's impossible to do tilts or some exact movements like pika's recovery as it's quite inaccurate. Or do I just have to suck it up and buy a new one? Have Gioteck PS3 wired controller.
Also was looking into Wii Classic Conyroller adapter, anyone got experience with that?

sman865

Smash Apprentice
Does anybody know specific frame data for pivot smashes? I feel like it should be the same for each character...not sure though. Basically, within how many frames of the pivot must you press A to get the smash off?
With that asked, it seems that you have to press A at least one frame after the actual pivot, is this true?

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
pivot fsmash is easiest, it's just smash one direction then smash the other. pivot jab is easy too, because it doesn't require the second smash, just a normal pivot + a. pivot ftilt is kinda hard for me.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
it seems that [to pivot smash] you have to press A at least one frame after the actual pivot, is this true?
yeah. for f-smash you pretty much hit the direction and then hit A. i'd think it's pretty impossible to miss that. it's easier to miss the pivot.
for d-smash and u-smash you have to wait. don't know the frames, but the timing is easy as well.

by the way, the frame window to pivot is not always the same. i discovered that when i did the dash dancing thing for the frame display.
if you are standing still and want to dash dance, or pivot, you have to wait longer to hit the opposite direction than you would if you were already dash dancing.

easy example: get falcon atop the tent. you can't pivot if previously you were just standing still (or landing, or attacking, or many other rules i don't care to find out)
but if you taunt cancel, you now can pivot off the top of the tent.
so if i were to make a gif of a character dash dancing as fast as possible, i'd need to record him from his second pivot onward. i think i'm repeating myself now. hope it's clear.

i can't pivot f-tilt on kb, but i can pivot turnaround f-tilt, f-smash (it's my way of wavedashing + attack)
it's not very useful. but it could be useful and it's cool (https://mediacru.sh/YpAr1q-Po0q8#autoplay,loop)

Last edited:

tehz

Smash Apprentice
I looked in @Madao 's calculator files, and he has the data in there, I think?

Code:
                      Damage  Effect  Ang KBS FKB GT AT  SD   BKB
fsmash                20      Slash    50 100   0  1  1   0    30
fsmash                12      Slash   361 100   0  1  1   0    20
KBS = Knockback Scaling and BKB = Base Knockback. #TYBM

Last edited:

MrTea

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0189-8820-9279
I've been playing this lately on an emulator, and I was wondering if there was anyway I can set a sort of hotkey that can change how far the emulator reads the joystick being pressed? Possibly using some sort of Joy2Key work around? (I use a d-pad controller)

As in: I will normally go a full 100% with a keyboard button press of say "D" or Right, but how can I temporarily toggle it in game to read, say, 40%?

Short question: How can I do tilts on PC without buffering.

Last edited:

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Ditch the d-pad controller, and get yourself a controller with an analog stick.

@NovaSmash uses a d-pad controller, so he might have some insight.

Last edited:

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing this lately on an emulator, and I was wondering if there was anyway I can set a sort of hotkey that can change how far the emulator reads the joystick being pressed? Possibly using some sort of Joy2Key work around? (I use a d-pad controller)

As in: I will normally go a full 100% with a keyboard button press of say "D" or Right, but how can I temporarily toggle it in game to read, say, 40%?

Whoa a 64 player from pensacola. we should play console sometime.

Don't have any insight on your problem though. The best I could do is maybe give you an old controller of mine and you get an adapter they're fairly cheap

Last edited:

MCG

Smash Apprentice

I'm not a keyboard player and but I know I can achieve this with N-Rage's Direct-Input8 V2 1.83. I don't know if there's any drawback from using that method.

Basically, once you've choosen N-Rage Input plugin, you go under the modifiers tab, and use the following settings :

http://i.imgur.com/bspmf9H.png

When you press the modifier key (in the example key 'Q'), movement is reduced by 50% and allows you to tilt without jumping.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
i'm sure this has already been asked a thousand times but i have a question about recording matches for emulator. once u have the krec file how do u get that file to play on the emulator so that u can record it?

mixa

Banned via Warnings

MrTea

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0189-8820-9279
So after I got home I tried to figure it out for myself (i was using school internet, I dont have a connection at home) and tinkered around and found the n-rage thing myself lol thanks though.

Okay so I'm also having a problem where the game would randomly freeze, like not crash just freeze for like half a second, mid match, and if I ever actually get a connection at home i don't want to end up constantly causing a dysync because of it.

Im using the jago d38 or whatever it is for video so idk, what could be the cause of it?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
how do u guys stream

i tried and it's like endless lag

also, i can't play the J version online because to me it shows (J) and to the host (p2p) it shows (J) [!]
I get "ERROR: Game not found on your local list", but the rom is there, I can create a room on a server, play offline etc.
pretty sure the rom is the same. how do I solve this

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
along the way I remembered about that, changed it (I renamed it from pj.rbd to project64.rbd to match the old one,
and had the host change his too.)
but I'm afraid it wasn't of any use. thanks anyway.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
Tried online smashing with @bowl and we couldn't get both of our controllers to work. If I loaded the game then his controller wouldn't work, if he loaded the game then my controller wouldn't work. What is going on here and how can we fix it?

prisonchild

Smash Ace
ok, I recently came across a situation when my friend and I were playing the other day.

he was falcon and had caught me with a grab facing left. now, I know you can't DI grabs but you can DI into walls and such. I started my DI early (nervous DI'er) and was DI'ing right anticipating an fair hit, I was at about 60 damage. it seemed that I bounced more vertical than usual but I didn't say anything and just played on. when my friend finished the combo he paused and asked me if I DI'ed his throw because he thought the throw's trajectory was more vertical than usual (or at least I ended up closer to him than usual).

is it possible to DI when you are bounced off the ground in falcon's fthrow or were we both just tripping?

The Star King

Smash Hero
ok, I recently came across a situation when my friend and I were playing the other day.

he was falcon and had caught me with a grab facing left. now, I know you can't DI grabs but you can DI into walls and such. I started my DI early (nervous DI'er) and was DI'ing right anticipating an fair hit, I was at about 60 damage. it seemed that I bounced more vertical than usual but I didn't say anything and just played on. when my friend finished the combo he paused and asked me if I DI'ed his throw because he thought the throw's trajectory was more vertical than usual (or at least I ended up closer to him than usual).

is it possible to DI when you are bounced off the ground in falcon's fthrow or were we both just tripping?
It was probably that thing where if Falcon's (among other characters) back is to a ledge and he FThrows, it does a weird thing with the trajectory. What was your position on the stage (and what stage, for that matter?)

Last edited:

prisonchild

Smash Ace
It was probably that thing where if Falcon's (among other characters) back is to a ledge and he FThrows, it does a weird thing with the trajectory. What was your position on the stage (and what stage, for that matter?)
it was on DL, we were on the right side of the stage pretty close to the ledge but I don't think his heel was on it. usually I would have ended up on the top platform or somewhere around there but I ended up closer to the right platform.

my memory isn't the best since this happened on sunday though.

Top Bottom