• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

M!nt

Smash Champion
I think left-c is easier to djc with with yoshi than down-c imo because it's just right above the A button and you can really quickly move your thumb down and you don't have to do a weird diagonal direction.

Double tap is better imo for yoshi because you have to time your djcs unlike ness where you can just slide from right-c->down-c->A

novakain

Smash Rookie
Way too good. It's frightening.
Most of us are going to this: https://www.facebook.com/events/1376025239327400/
Yeah I saw that, and I was gonna go with a couple of my friends who play a lot but i'm kinda (more like very) short on cash. How frequent are big tourneys? I really want to get out there and play some new people, because me and my friends have sort of plateaued from playing each other all the time.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Yeah I saw that, and I was gonna go with a couple of my friends who play a lot but i'm kinda (more like very) short on cash. How frequent are big tourneys? I really want to get out there and play some new people, because me and my friends have sort of plateaued from playing each other all the time.
Before December there were basically zero tournies. Now we're picking up a little more. If this tourney on Saturday goes well, the same guys will probably have another one sometime soon, but the venue fee is pretty high.

reallyfastcar

Smash Apprentice
Thanks phox.
I downloaded version 2.9, but it just says I have version 2. I thin, im doiing it all right.
Ill have a good fiddle with it tonight, I calibrated it through the calibfixer program, and it seemed t ocalibrate it to something which felt good.
I'll give it a good fiddle with tonight. And i'll let you know.
THanks heaps though, I think it is working.

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Hi. I have a few questions regarding stale moves.

1) I know that a move gets stale if I use it a lot of times in a row. How many times do I have to do a move before it gets stale? When will it get unstale?

2) Do moves have a "maximum" staleness or will they always get more stale the more I use them?

3) I know that stale moves are "weaker" than unstale moves. What exactly does "weaker" mean? Does it do less damage? Does it have less knock back? Both?

4) Do moves actually get "stale" or do characters get more resistant to moves? Let me give you an an example: Let's say I'm Fox and I have done 10 forward airs to an opposing Falcon. Obviously the forward airs are weaker. If a second Fox that hasn't done any forward airs goes and forward airs the Falcon, will it be stale? Similarly, using the same example, after I have done the 10 forward airs with fox to the opposing flacon, if go and forward air a Donkey Kong will it be weaker?

Does anybody know the answers to these questions? Thanks.

M!nt

Smash Champion
http://smashboards.com/threads/compilation-of-technical-frame-data.325142/
When you connect with move X, it is then considered stale. Connecting with a different move increases the power of move X by one stage; there are three different stages between "stale" and "fresh".

Stale: 0.75x
Level 1: 0.82x
Level 2: 0.89x
Level 3: 0.96x
Fresh: 1.00x

The damage done by a move is multiplied by these factors and rounded up. Because of this:

Moves that deal 24% or less are basically fresh at level 3.
Moves that deal 9% or less are basically fresh at level 2.
Moves that deal 5% or less are basically fresh at level 1.
Moves that deal 3% or less are basically immune to staleness.

I'm having trouble testing this, but I believe the staleness of a projectile is determined on creation. This would mean that if you can fire two projectiles without either hitting, they'll both be fresh if they do connect.
4. Pretty sure the moves for that particular player get stale

Last edited:

Sangoku

Smash Master
@ Chaostatic Chaostatic
The thread M!nt linked should contain all the necessary info. However it's a bit long and I know most people don't want to read too much, so I'll try to be more concise here. Here's the direct link to the stale move thread. This should answer your first 2 questions, if not please ask. Concerning 3) weaker means less percentage dealt. Since knockback is based on percentage and since hitstun is based on knockback, everything is altered. Finally, staleness is a property of the attacker.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
the answer to all your questions are in that thread, but let me just give an actual application of this in a match:

say your opponent is at ~80%, and you'll uair him as fox for the vertical kill.
sometimes the second hit of the uair won't connect, the opponent will pop up a little bit and what do you do
this is where some people forget about stale moves and try to uair once more, since most of the time it's a free continuation of the combo.
unless it's way, way past the kill %, that second uair won't kill, because it's now stale.

the same goes for edgeguarding vs mid-low %s, sending the opponent offstage with a string of nairs and fairs (finishing a combo), etc.
your last hit of the combo should be the strongest

related to that, find out what are your character's strongest options on the ground, in the air, etc. this is relevant because people usually get accustumed to whatever and use that all the time when it's literally the worst option in terms of knockback. example: falcon bair. bair is the pretty much the worst option, but for various reasons, falcons will bair to finish combos and to send opponents away. (f punch > hi-fsmash > f-smash > hug > nair > bair)

Shears

Smash Master
Where can I read documentation on tio files and their format? Also are there other file types used for tournament data? Basically is there any comprehensive documentation on tournament data storage and formatting?

rpotts

Smash Lord
how do i make a sticky z button unstick? wd-40 or something like that? unscrew it and lube it?
Take apart the controller, remove the z button, clean the z button, clean the controller around the z button. DO NOT USE WD40 ON PLASTIC AS IT IS CORROSIVE TO PLASTIC. If you really want you can put some silicon oil or spray lubricant or even white lithium grease as I see some people use on their sticks to make them wear down slower. Most likely cleaning off the sweat, dirt and gunk buildup in the controller will do the trick.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Also, while you have the controller apart you should just clean all the buttons and the entire controller plastic, all around A, B the C buttons and R too. It'll prevent the problem from arising later.

texh

Smash Cadet
What's the best way to play against someone who uses grabs all the time?

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the info, Sangoku, M!nt, and mixa!!

Concerning 3) weaker means less percentage dealt. Since knockback is based on percentage and since hitstun is based on knockback, everything is altered. Finally, staleness is a property of the attacker.
How does this apply, if at all, to moves with set knockback?

Annex

Smash Ace
What's the best way to play against someone who uses grabs all the time?
What works for me is spacing with aerials and approaching diagonally. Should they shield an aerial, they'll probably have enough hitstun for you to get a grab of your own.
If you haven't got z-cancelling down yet that should be top priority.

maton1200

Smash Rookie
I have a question I've decided to post here before opening up a new thread.

Since there is no way to get brand new official N64 controller's sticks, which ones are the best N64 counterfeit replacement sticks to play SSB64, and where can I buy them? ebay seems full of low quality sticks.

I want to try these ones: http://www.ebay.com/itm/X2-Controll...US_Video_Game_Controllers&hash=item58aa933b99

But the seller may be lying about the overall quality and feeling.

I don't want to ruin my OEM controller, so I want to practice with counterfeit sticks.

M!nt

Smash Champion
I don't even see how you guys ruin your controllers, like I've never greased this controller and I've had it for forever and it's still in pretty nice condition. I also mash pretty hard for di so idk. Speaking of which my 2 xbox 360 controllers I used before basically broke to where you couldn't move the character in 2 months.

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
What is the best thing to do if I Dair a shield with fox? It seems like the opponent always has the advantage in that situation.

Edit: I'm sorry for asking so many questions lol.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
What is the best thing to do if I Dair a shield with fox? It seems like the opponent always has the advantage in that situation.
what moves are you using to follow up the dair and what are you being punished with? the scenario of fox dairing a shield is slightly in fox's favor. so long as you're fast and use quick moves, you should be getting the follow up.

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Well they usually grab me. An opposing Yoshi might Usmash out of shield and an opposing Samus will typically Up B out of shield. Should I grab them after I Dair? Fox's grab has such a bad hit box when you're close to them so I never try it, should I? I usually try to apply pressure to the shield by jabbing or doing a down tilt. (Although when I Dtilt them they usually roll behind me and punish me. It's a bad habit, I know.)

Sometimes I'll pivot behind them and apply pressure from the back so that they can't grab me. Although I usually do that after Fairing or Nairing a shield because I sense that the Dair doesn't apply enough shield pressure for me to get away with pivoting behind them.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Well they usually grab me. An opposing Yoshi might Usmash out of shield and an opposing Samus will typically Up B out of shield. Should I grab them after I Dair? Fox's grab has such a bad hit box when you're close to them so I never try it, should I? I usually try to apply pressure to the shield by jabbing or doing a down tilt. (Although when I Dtilt them they usually roll behind me and punish me. It's a bad habit, I know.)

Sometimes I'll pivot behind them and apply pressure from the back so that they can't grab me. Although I usually do that after Fairing or Nairing a shield because I sense that the Dair doesn't apply enough shield pressure for me to get away with pivoting behind them.
if you're consistently technical, shine cancel into anything. If you're not, either time the jab or grab well. Once the jab is blocked, you have more safe options.

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi shouldn't be able to usmash after getting blocking dair. Both jab and grab are strong options that shouldn't be able to escape from if you have proper timing and spacing.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
slow moves such as yoshi u-smash should never win.
grabs might win against your grab, but shouldn't. (being able to act as soon as possible is a very good skill to have. practice the timing.)
those defensive up-bs are too fast, so while they'll win, they're risky for the opponent. for samus' up-b you have to DI out and then punish.

i know what you mean by fox's grab sucking at close range, but i assure you that after you dair a shield, you cannot miss the grab by being too close.

in any case, you should never simply guess the outcome of a move in a scenario. simply try them all out. that's what every match that is not a tournament match is for.

Top Bottom