• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

mixa

Banned via Warnings
It's an old folder, so there's some variation on the content and how it's displayed, but primarily:

Bracket
Screenshot of the results + payouts + characters used post
Ruleset (copied in a txt file or simply stated)

Also, thanks cobr for the info.
Does Peru have a boards? I wanted to see if I can get the bracket for their national.

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
peru has a facebook page, i don't recall it though

next: i'm trying to practice my ledge di and i've noticed that if i'm on stage and roll towards and against the ledge, smash di in the opposite direction will give me reverse. if i'm not at this specific point, i can't get reverse. i'm having trouble doing the stuff in pt 2 of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGYgPxKzDlo&feature=youtu.be , namely being able to get those opposing inputs off in time. give me tips please.

also best way to DI down and up when i use **** METHOD

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I need to remake that.

When I roll to the edge, I don't get the reverse by any inputs: https://mediacru.sh/ivloqB2R6dRY -- sorry about mouse cursor, when I get focused I never notice it.
If I DI towards, I get a normal ledge DI. (1st DI in the video)
If I DI towards and down, then I get the reverse. (2nd DI in the video)
If I DI down then towards, I get all that mess, but finally a weaker reverse. (all the other DIs in the video until I finally get it right)

For the opposing inputs, I'd say the hardest thing is to actually remember to use them in a match. To execute it, it's just a matter of timing: after the attack connects, you must DI away and towards (I believe you can't mash this DI). To practice it, get hit by an attack with a huge hitlag (falcon punch) so you'll have a wider DI window. Don't forget that this applies to when you are close to the edge but not right at it.
For example, in M2K vs Fireblaster the only DI that could maybe save Yoshi is the opposing inputs one. DI'ing towards center stage is useless.

Why do you wanna DI up and down?

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
up to avoid kirby utilts, falcon uairs, survive drill gimps, luigi/mario uairs. down because of reverse ledge, avoid drills on stage to counter with an uair and not eat a bair or fair, maybe some other things. basically i don't like being limited to up+direction, and i really need to work on down in general, because i don't feel like i can do it as well as any of my other di's.

that video is a little bit confusing. you mean you can't do what i said i did? roll towards the right ledge, hit left, get reverse ledge?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Oh ok, I thought you meant DI'ing up and down as in Up Down Up Down Up.

Is this better? https://mediacru.sh/23axJjRzqwPQ

You can get the reverse by inputting up and towards too. It goes a bit higher.
And you also can get the reverse by inputting a pure left. It just seems harder to me, though. I didn't TAS this, but I'd say that if the DI window is 10, only one or two give the reverse after a pure left DI input.

But I mean, this is a very special case, even more rare then the ones I talk about in the video.

enzinaty

Smash Rookie
I just (a week ago) found my old nintendo - so I started playing some super smash

However, it just.. died?
I were in the middle of a match and a buzzing sound appeared. The image froze, so I shut the nintendo off and on again. "No signal".
Never had that before, the red light turns on, but no sounds/images :(

Anyone had that / knows what's up?

Shears

Smash Master
I just (a week ago) found my old nintendo - so I started playing some super smash

However, it just.. died?
I were in the middle of a match and a buzzing sound appeared. The image froze, so I shut the nintendo off and on again. "No signal".
Never had that before, the red light turns on, but no sounds/images :(

Anyone had that / knows what's up?
Blow on the cartridge

Shears

Smash Master
You must be new to cartridge gaming. This isn't like the red ring of death on an xbox. Simply blow on the cartridge, blow on the console cartridge slot, insert cartridge, turn on. If problem persists, rinse and repeat until it starts working again. Magic.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
clean the cartridge contacts with q tips and either water+baking soda or alcohol, if there's any corrosion blowing won't help

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Are Smash Till You Crash 4 vids lost forever? I found no results thread; stream archives had nothing.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
I don't know. I was there, and I saw the stream setup, but I don't know what channel. Montreal Smash or something like that probably.

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
What states can you mash to get out of sooner?
Yoshi egg and DK cargo hold I know
What about
- Jiggly sing (for both people)?
- When you are shield broken?
- Anything else?

rpotts

Smash Lord
You can mash, rotate the control stick or both. The most efficient way is alternating A and B while mashing the stick, like Up + A -> Down + B alternating as quickly as possible. Just FYI.

Anyway, on to your question:
You can wake up from Jiggly's sing quicker but Jiggs cannot mash out to end her own ending lag, if that's what you're implying.
After your shield is broken you are popped up into the air briefly then stand up. Once you are standing you can start inputting buttons, stick inputs etc as described above. I believe it's percentage dependent, i.e. the more damage you have when your shield's broken the more inputs it takes to mash out.
I think there's something else I'm not recalling right now. Idk if there's another instance or not.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
is it possible for samus's jab cancel to break shields? i looked at that thing about 8 frames or something and i think her jab is 3 and blah blah point is i dunno anything about frame stuff in that regard

rpotts

Smash Lord
What states can you mash to get out of sooner?
Yoshi egg and DK cargo hold I know
What about
- Jiggly sing (for both people)?
- When you are shield broken?
- Anything else?
I think there's something else I'm not recalling right now. Idk if there's another instance or not.
I forgot Kirby's neutral B inhale, I think you can mash out too.

is it possible for samus's jab cancel to break shields? i looked at that thing about 8 frames or something and i think her jab is 3 and blah blah point is i dunno anything about frame stuff in that regard
I don't have any frame data but I'm pretty confident that you can't break a shield with just repeated jab cancel, there's no way it's positive on shield after more than 1 or 2 jabs. I'll let one of our framemasters prove it one way or the other, if it's necessary, and they care enough, lol.

Last edited:

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
I've never played melee before, but I've played a ton of SSB64 and have decent technical skill (I use a lot of z-cancels, short hops, dash dancing and pivot attacks). So my question is, coming from SSB64, what melee character would I be most comfortable playing?

The reason I'm asking is because some friends challenged me to a game of melee after getting whooped in SSB64. So, I don't really have access to melee to try out all the characters before hand. So here's a bit more information about my smash playstyle to help me pick a decent character:

I can play all characters comfortably in SSB64, but some of my favorites are Falcon, DK, and Pika:
  • With Falcon I typically play very aggressive and utilize a lot of pivot grabs to start aerial combos, finishing with a up-b, u-air or d-air (spike). I also use a lot of pivot f-smash and b-air to finish opponents at higher percentages. I always edge guard with d-air, d-tilt, or b-air.
  • With DK I play more of a punish style, often waiting for the opponent to approach and punishing with his powerful back throw. Typically my style with DK is gimmicky, chaining grabs off walls or spiking them off the stage when the try to recover. I just enjoy comboing his powerful punch, especially in FFA if you can get two or three in 1 punch.
  • With Pika, play much more defensively and use u-tilts when they approach. I pretty much use all aerials when playing pika except for u-tilt and u-smash finishers.

My best character is probably Falcon, and I enjoy his playstyle the most since his combos are relatively easy and can go from 0 to death.

I also asked this in the melee discussion forum and was suggested Sheik. I trying playing a bit but felt her short hop was extremely high so I had trouble landing any aerials. I also felt she wasn't aggressive enough to overcome some camping friends of mine. Any other suggestions for N64 equivalents on melee?

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I've never played melee before, but I've played a ton of SSB64 and have decent technical skill (I use a lot of z-cancels, short hops, dash dancing and pivot attacks). So my question is, coming from SSB64, what melee character would I be most comfortable playing?

The reason I'm asking is because some friends challenged me to a game of melee after getting whooped in SSB64. So, I don't really have access to melee to try out all the characters before hand. So here's a bit more information about my smash playstyle to help me pick a decent character:

I can play all characters comfortably in SSB64, but some of my favorites are Falcon, DK, and Pika:
  • With Falcon I typically play very aggressive and utilize a lot of pivot grabs to start aerial combos, finishing with a up-b, u-air or d-air (spike). I also use a lot of pivot f-smash and b-air to finish opponents at higher percentages. I always edge guard with d-air, d-tilt, or b-air.
  • With DK I play more of a punish style, often waiting for the opponent to approach and punishing with his powerful back throw. Typically my style with DK is gimmicky, chaining grabs off walls or spiking them off the stage when the try to recover. I just enjoy comboing his powerful punch, especially in FFA if you can get two or three in 1 punch.
  • With Pika, play much more defensively and use u-tilts when they approach. I pretty much use all aerials when playing pika except for u-tilt and u-smash finishers.

My best character is probably Falcon, and I enjoy his playstyle the most since his combos are relatively easy and can go from 0 to death.

I also asked this in the melee discussion forum and was suggested Sheik. I trying playing a bit but felt her short hop was extremely high so I had trouble landing any aerials. I also felt she wasn't aggressive enough to overcome some camping friends of mine. Any other suggestions for N64 equivalents on melee?
If you're good at kirby, pick jigglypuff in melee. She's like a more mobile and footsies based 64 kirby.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I suck at Melee and I've been wondering the same things quite often. I've always been told sheik. While it's true that you can spam tilts à la 64 (tilt to fair as well), I find her short hop hard to perform (as you said) and her initial dash really short, which makes it hard to dashdance. I think marth is a good alternative as well. You can wavedash back to fsmash to substitute 64's pivot fsmash.

So I was wondering what would happen if a mine were activated on a Yoshi's island cloud disappearing. Would it explode if it touches a character while falling? And the answer is yes, once activated, it falls and explodes on contact.

Vale

Smash Ace
I think Marth and Jigglypuff are the best options for people transitioning between 64 and Melee, but I also suck at both games so my opinion is probably wrong. Shiek is harder than people claim initially, but it can get easier I guess.

Radius-86

Smash Ace
I need some help against a particular playstyle, which is centered around staying on the ground dash dancing and grabbing.
This strategy seems to shut down a large amount of options and makes the gameplay pretty stale.

First, if your character has a projectile, then this is non-issue. If not, then...

If you approach a grounded opponent from the air and whiff an attack because of a dash dance, the options available are:
Jab - in some matchups the opponent's grab range out-ranges your jab. Even if that doesn't apply, in most cases you can still be grabbed inbetween your jabs
Any other attack other than jab - does not work because grabs have less startup frames
Jump - also doesn't work because grab has less startup frames than jumping
Roll - grab has very low recovery time so most characters are fast enough to chase your roll for another grab attempt

It seems to me that all air options are not viable. Also, no character possesses the horizontal aerial momentum (e.g. Melee Falcon) to just fly in with a kick.

You have better options on the ground, which mainly involve running the extra distance before attacking to hit your opponent when they dash away from you.
However, your opponent can choose to attack directly so that you will run into their attack.

The ground approach results in a mindgame, and there is nothing inherently wrong with that.
The problem is that if the only approach viable is a 50/50 gamble, then there isn't enough variety in the approach game and it becomes extremely stale (especially if both players do it).

There is no approach that gives you favourable odds such that it forces your opponent to switch up (unless as mentioned before, you have a projectile).

Sensei

Smash Lord
I need some help against a particular playstyle, which is centered around staying on the ground dash dancing and grabbing.
This strategy seems to shut down a large amount of options and makes the gameplay pretty stale.

First, if your character has a projectile, then this is non-issue. If not, then...

If you approach a grounded opponent from the air and whiff an attack because of a dash dance, the options available are:
Jab - in some matchups the opponent's grab range out-ranges your jab. Even if that doesn't apply, in most cases you can still be grabbed inbetween your jabs
Any other attack other than jab - does not work because grabs have less startup frames
Roll - grab has very low recovery time so most characters are fast enough to chase your roll for another grab attempt

It seems to me that all air options are not viable. Also, no character possesses the horizontal aerial momentum (e.g. Melee Falcon) to just fly in with a kick.

You have better options on the ground, which mainly involve running the extra distance before attacking to hit your opponent when they dash away from you.
However, your opponent can choose to attack directly so that you will run into their attack.

The ground approach results in a mindgame, and there is nothing inherently wrong with that.
The problem is that if the only approach viable is a 50/50 gamble, then there isn't enough variety in the approach game and it becomes extremely stale (especially if both players do it).

There is no approach that gives you favourable odds such that it forces your opponent to switch up (unless as mentioned before, you have a projectile).
good post, and yup I agree. this is especially apparent in falcon dittos where a falcon can easily out dash a falcon aerial and counter with a grab or upsmash. in reality its better to allow your opponent to approach first unless they have a projectile lol. I get bored really fast with that strategy so I usually go really aggro because its more fun lol, but I still use a lot mindgames and space my attacks where I can't get punished if I whiff but if my opponent runs into it, it can lead to a zero to death lol

MrMarbles

Smash Lord

with certain characters a dash attack can be used to hit a pivoting falcon. for instance pika's dash can be used in this situation becuase the hitbox stays out long enough to outlast a pivot. however there are a few problems with this. First this will only work in the mid-high damage range otherwise the knockback will be negligible and you will get punished after. Second you cant use the strategy too often or your opponent will catch on and easily avoid and punish. However as long as you are confident that your opponent is going to pivot if you dash forward and he is at mid-high damage this is a pretty reliable technique. after you have done this once or twice your opponent will catch on to your new strategy and then you can try to bait them into thinking you are going to dash attack again and see if you can get a punish based on how they react

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the help, I'll try sheik, marth and jiggly.

idk what you mean by short hop too high
I think its because in order to hit the enemy you need to SHFFL, but I'm not used to the Fast Fall part since you don't really need to Fast Fall and Short Hop on N64. In melee though, I just try to Short Hop f-air to approach or finish an enemy off and I ALWAYS miss by jumping over them.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Sheik's SH is definitely low enough to hit players with fair and nair, except for maybe really short characters like Pichu or a crouching Jiggs. I'm guessing you were full hopping and not even noticing. Her jumpsquat is one of the shortest in the game so her SH needs to be performed very quickly. In general she isn't much of an approaching character either, she's floaty enough that if you SH fair an opponent's shield they'll have time to shield grab or WD OoS or whatever before you've even hit the ground again.

If you want to be as aggressive in Melee as you are in 64 I'd recommend using Fox, Falco or Falcon, although they will be harder to use at the beginning than the characters others have recommended.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Space aerials well. Works in every matchup that's not like falcon dittos. What character, specifically, are you having trouble with?

Top Bottom