• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
I used to have trouble with the c-buttons depending on the adapter I was using. They would sometimes have a whole second of delay, or just not work at all. You can test out the gamepad in windows and see if all the buttons work. If they do then you'll know its something wrong with it's communication w/ pjk64. Otherwise it could be your adapter. I use a raphnet adapter now. It's pretty much the ****, Hori mini pads even work on it

:phone:

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
i'm using n-rage's direct-input8 1.61.
it's win7...with win7 ver of pj64k...that's why i have to re-setup.
Use 1.83.

Or you can use the modified beta by some other guy, which fixes a few things and allows for X-input support. Battlecow will vehemently argue against the use of this plugin, however, with no basis for his argument, so just watch out for that and don't be discouraged. It works great.

http://www.mediafire.com/?wsrq8ppoi1fquqq

EDIT: Oh ****! Looks like V2.2 final was just recently released! Everybody go get that!

http://www.mediafire.com/?qr6dad57iyqrhua

Battlecow

Play to Win
^Pretty sure I argued against making kero download something from mediafire, and that I was totally right to do so, bro.

>____________>

X ta C

Smash Rookie
im new to the whole smash online thing... what character do i start to use, im semi good with fox, or do i go right into pika or someone else

Sangoku

Smash Master
Play whoever you want. If you're new to the game, play every character and learn the basics until you're familiar with the concept of the game. If you know the game, but you're new to competitive smash, I would suggest you decide one main and you mainly play him. Doesn't mean you shouldn't play other chars. On the contrary, it's always good to change (less boring for you and for your opponent). If you want an easy char to learn the basics, I'd say Falcon is a good choice. If you want to get kinda decent quickly pick Kirby or Pikachu (you might get bad habits though, so I wouldn't do that). You might want to avoid "weird" chars such as Ness and Yoshi or other difficult char such as Fox.

But really, it's up to you and who you enjoy the most playing.

Concerning Star King's question: I've done the fast falling part and I got a weird result. On an opponent (with hitlag), you have a difference of 5 frames if you don't z-cancel. But I don't find any difference if you don't land the attack on an opponent. In other words, you can z-cancel or not, it doesn't change. Might have made a mistake, but I don't think so (did it several times, even tried to "smash" z to be sure of the timing, etc). Still it's weird.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah that is weird. Drat, I asked in the first place because I thought that unlike the lag for z-cancels, landing lag for non z-cancelled aerials doesn't increase if you fastfall it, so if it's like 8 frames landing lag you can miss the cancel for a fastfall dair with no cost and an extra hit. That was my original thinking, anyways.

Thanks a bunch ;)

Peek~

Smash Lord
I think this has been asked before but ill ask again just cause im curious

Can Yoshi Fair another Yoshi during Yoshi-Bomb?
like say Yoshi1 was trying to recover and Yoshi2 Bombs the edge and tries to catch the ledge, something like that

The Star King

Smash Hero
I think this has been asked before but ill ask again just cause im curious

Can Yoshi Fair another Yoshi during Yoshi-Bomb?
like say Yoshi1 was trying to recover and Yoshi2 Bombs the edge and tries to catch the ledge, something like that
Why wouldn't he be able to?

Banana Jack

Smash Cadet
Use 1.83.

Or you can use the modified beta by some other guy, which fixes a few things and allows for X-input support. Battlecow will vehemently argue against the use of this plugin, however, with no basis for his argument, so just watch out for that and don't be discouraged. It works great.

http://www.mediafire.com/?wsrq8ppoi1fquqq

EDIT: Oh ****! Looks like V2.2 final was just recently released! Everybody go get that!

http://www.mediafire.com/?qr6dad57iyqrhua
neither of them worked for me...
i can open pj64k, but when i try to go to settings:
"the program can't start because xinput_3.dll is missing from your computer. try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."
then "failed to load C:\etc\etc\nrage 2.2.2 beta.dll" or "C:\etc\etc\nrage_input_v2.dll"

hmmmm...never mind that. i guess i should have just calibrated from the beginning...

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
neither of them worked for me...
i can open pj64k, but when i try to go to settings:
"the program can't start because xinput_3.dll is missing from your computer. try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."
then "failed to load C:\etc\etc\nrage 2.2.2 beta.dll" or "C:\etc\etc\nrage_input_v2.dll"

hmmmm...never mind that. i guess i should have just calibrated from the beginning...
that's... a directX problem, isn't it?

is it working now?

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
hey could someone help me with calibrating the hori pad? So i found out how to fine but when I actually calibrate it it goes crazy. I used an old n64 to calibrate it first and changed the deadzone to 8 and the range to 80% but this seems slower than how the hori actually performs on console. When it asks to put the slider up and down all the way/ Z direction whats it mean? sorry if these are newbish questions.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Slider and Z direction don't matter, just skip them. Deadzone 4 range 80 should be about right if you're calibrated with the right input plugin (NRage V1.xx)

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
hey could someone help me with calibrating the hori pad? So i found out how to fine but when I actually calibrate it it goes crazy. I used an old n64 to calibrate it first and changed the deadzone to 8 and the range to 80% but this seems slower than how the hori actually performs on console. When it asks to put the slider up and down all the way/ Z direction whats it mean? sorry if these are newbish questions.
You need to use the raphnet adapter with a Hori mini pad.
The control stick works differently from the normal N64 sticks, so it's not compatible with most adapters. the raphnet ones added Hori mini compatibility intentionally.

http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/gc_n64_usb/index_en.php

you can purchase and read about his adapters there^

Hope this helped, see ya on kaillera

Edit: also, feel free to PM me if you need settings for the hori when you get your raphnet.
quick edits!!!

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
@Battlecow: is the nrage plugin needed with the raphnet? it seems to be ok. just at certain times ill have the stick all the way to the right and barely up but will somehow register as an uair and the same for having it all the way up and barely to the right. Going to try the deadzone and range to see if it works

@jimmyjoe thanks man! hopefully i wont have any more problems. im online already jus not nearly at 100% ^^

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yeah, you need the Nrage plugin with the raphnet. If the stick is doing funky things, fooling around with Range and deadzone might help.

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, you need the Nrage plugin with the raphnet. If the stick is doing funky things, fooling around with Range and deadzone might help.
Thanks Battlecow. For me the deadzone worked best around 6 and range 80. Btw, I seem to be lagging alot when im playing online. Pretty sure its because its a wireless setting at my apartment. Is there any way I can fix it? Not sure how to show you my settings but I will give out whatever info I can. (trying to get a wired connection but theres no where to plug in the chord.)

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Wireless or wired, f there are a lot of other people using the same network as you, you can pretty much kiss your lag-free online experience goodbye.

B Link

Smash Lord
1. If anyone has a mayflash adapter, what are the closet-to-console settings that you can get?

2. Does anyone have a guide as to how the "modifiers" work on any nrage version? Like if I put 200% on a button what does that mean? What do the X/Y axis mean? If I put 50/200% on a left analog direction what does that mean?

Also, I want to try and make my c buttons more like console because the mayflash adapter reads them as an analog, making the sensitivity different. I feel like I have to press a lot harder on console.

Finally, pivot fsmashes are too easy on emulator, shield upsmashes are too easy with my adapter. How do I change this?

M!nt

Smash Champion
Can someone tell me how to Di out of samus's Up+b? Do i just mash randomly or is there a certain direction for her up+b?

M!nt

Smash Champion
Thanks :D. Do you know what do do for some of the specific characters, say falcon and ness?

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I'd probably just do as the DK did and DI down first if possible, if you're a little late upwards.

You might need a second opinion on this though.

M!nt

Smash Champion
So i smash DI down before actually getting caught and then slide DI upwards if caught?

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I think, but I'm just going off what was written in the description in the video, I can't actually speak form experience.

Also Slide DI is preferable to Smash DI if you can.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I always DI down, no matter what and I can get out of it more than half of the time. Maybe if I DIed up, I'd be able to get out of it more often, I don't know, but I personally find DIing down easier than up (technically speaking).

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Smash Rookie (0-24 posts)
Smash Cadet (25-74 posts)
Smash Apprentice (75-199 posts)
Smash Journeyman (200-499 posts)
Smash Ace (500-999 posts)
Smash Lord (1000-1999 posts)
Smash Champion (2000-2999 posts)
Smash Master (3000-4999 posts)
Smash Hero (5000-9999 posts)
Smash Legend (10000-19999 posts)
Smash Obsessed (20000+ posts)

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
How do I Yoshi?

Very serious question, I want to get not free by Apex. Like I have stuff like DJCing down... but that's about the extent of it. I'm just sort of not good at 64 in general.

Top Bottom