• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Wasn't there a very large number of directional tilts? Is it really just the five? I thought that with enough precision, you could get a whole load of different angles. Maybe I'm just imagining that.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
If you want to use 3D8 1.6 instead of Glide64, you have to manually change the video plugin .dll files lol.

Go to this folder:
Project64k_0_13 -> Plugin

In order to use a certain video plugin online you need to rename the file to "Jabo_Direct3D7.dll". Right now I have Glide64 named as 3D7, so just take Jabo_Direct3D8.dll and rename it to Jabo_Direct3D7.dll and it'll work online just fine.
Saved my *** again
Thanks dude!

:phone:
And serendipity maybe you're thinking of that post/video semi-recently about how you can stick hop all different heights.

ozybonza

Smash Rookie
We've got an N64 + smash, but my friends and I are hoping to "improve" our ssb64 experience through emulation on an awesome PC.

I'm wondering if anyone knows a good guide, or can give me some advice regarding smash bros emulation?

I know that project 64 is the way to go, but I'm hoping to get some more info:

Are there any worthwhile hacked ROMs? I don't care about playing as master hand, but new levels/standard characters, graphics improvements etc would be awesome.

How well can PC controllers emulate N64 controllers? If we bought 4 x high end wireless analogue controllers, would it be just as good as a N64 controller?

My friends and I are pretty serious about ssb64, so we want the emulation experience to be as smooth as possible while hopefully improving graphics and maybe adding other features. Any other tips are appreciated!

Sangoku

Smash Master
I think this has been mentioned already and I don't think it is possible, but is there a way to modify the way CPUs play? Maybe it could be less boring playing them. Some things that would need improvement:
-tech
-z-cancel
-re-upb if hit while not above the stage
And maybe harder ones:
-edgeguarding
-intelligent recovery (avoiding hits)
-less rolls
-better DI (not always towards you)
-character specific stuff (shdl instead of grounded laser spam, specific recovery, ...)

So if anyone has an idea or knows vaguely how things work, that would be great. I'm willing to try modifying myself, provided I understand a thing about all that stuff first (which I don't).

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
We've got an N64 + smash, but my friends and I are hoping to "improve" our ssb64 experience through emulation on an awesome PC.

I'm wondering if anyone knows a good guide, or can give me some advice regarding smash bros emulation?

Are there any worthwhile hacked ROMs? I don't care about playing as master hand, but new levels/standard characters, graphics improvements etc would be awesome.

How well can PC controllers emulate N64 controllers? If we bought 4 x high end wireless analogue controllers, would it be just as good as a N64 controller?

My friends and I are pretty serious about ssb64, so we want the emulation experience to be as smooth as possible while hopefully improving graphics and maybe adding other features. Any other tips are appreciated!
If you've got a dynamite PC, you're probably better off with Mupen. It's a smoother emulator that's a little more CPU intensive. Take a peek at the INDEX topic to get some more info. You'll have to be a bit more specific in your questions if you want help, though.

I'd also recommend using wired controllers instead of wireless, just because of stability and lag. A wired Xbox 360 controller is on of your best options.

I think this has been mentioned already and I don't think it is possible, but is there a way to modify the way CPUs play? Maybe it could be less boring playing them. Some things that would need improvement:
-tech
-z-cancel
-re-upb if hit while not above the stage
And maybe harder ones:
-edgeguarding
-intelligent recovery (avoiding hits)
-less rolls
-better DI (not always towards you)
-character specific stuff (shdl instead of grounded laser spam, specific recovery, ...)

So if anyone has an idea or knows vaguely how things work, that would be great. I'm willing to try modifying myself, provided I understand a thing about all that stuff first (which I don't).
As far as I know, there's no way to modify CPU behavior... I don't even know if there's a way to break down the code to figure out how the computers were programmed. I think I heard something about implementing tech/cancel cheats where the computer just spams the Z-button, but I really don't know.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master

http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/gc_n64_usb/index_en.php

This adapter will emulate your n64 controllers well, but it's a tad expensive compared to other(****ty) adapters.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Are you guys aware of online play?

Also, no, there are not any worthwhile hacked ROMs, but yes, adapters will provide just-like-console controls.

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
ugh my horis already having the sticky button/not registering problem and its only been a few months. anyone have problems with theirs/wanna donate one to me? :D

killmaster

Smash Apprentice
can anyone tell me why saffron city isn't legal anymore ? is it only online or everytime ... i know the ness rule for random starter stage but i havn't found a tread about this stage ...

Pink_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
The most serious issue I think is helipad camping as some characters are nearly impossible to approach safely there. On top of that I think people dislike the pokemon that come out.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
can anyone tell me why saffron city isn't legal anymore ? is it only online or everytime ... i know the ness rule for random starter stage but i havn't found a tread about this stage ...
A Kirby in the lead on the helicopter pad u-tilting all day against a character without projectiles = GG NO RE. It sucks because saffron is such a cool stage. There goes kirby ruining things for everybody again.

killmaster

Smash Apprentice
A Kirby in the lead on the helicopter pad u-tilting all day against a character without projectiles = GG NO RE. It sucks because saffron is such a cool stage. There goes kirby ruining things for everybody again.
lol yeah that map is awesome thx for explaining.. i hate kirbys :O even more now

Pink_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
I think it's this type of situation that item spawns were meant to alleviate. Maybe if certain items were turned on at low frequency camping would be less of an issue.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
it's cuz the helipad sucks as others have said.

also that ness rule is dumb.

but yeah you can definitely have some fun in friendlies on saffron ... it's just probably not a good idea to have it in tournaments

Dingus

Smash Cadet
I got to play on console this weekend and surprisingly I was able to SHDL consistently for the first time ever. I tried practicing on emulator yesterday and I just couldnt hit them at all? Is there any difference in frame data? or could it be something about how my controller is set up on the computer? Is there any reason at all this could be true or is it probably just coincidental?

For the record I play emulator on an N64 controller.

Thanks

Sangoku

Smash Master
The only reason I could imagine is that your emulator wasn't able to run the game at 60 FPS, but you got a constant lower FPS so you had a wider input window for the SHDL.

This however seems unlikely and I'd say it's probably luck.

The input differences between emulator and console should only be involving the joystick. Examples are DI, combos (controlling the momentum), uair without jumping, tilts, etc. Moves that only involve "normal" buttons shouldn't be affected. I don't think so at least.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Emulator is definitely a different feel from console. The controller settings don't match up quite right no matter what you do, and emulators just aren't as smooth in general imo. It takes a bit of time to adjust.

Sangoku

Smash Master
If you could explain a bit instead of saying "it feels different, fake smash, etc", that could be cool. In what way a button press could feel different?

And no offense to anyone, but you need to be really good in order to feel all the subtle differences. I for example have been playing this game for quite some times and I can barely tell the difference between console PAL and emu NTSC. No, I don't think I'm that bad, I just feel people tend to see a difference just because they know there is one. Not talking about those who are really good and precise, etc. But come on, don't tell me "I can SHDL everytime on console, but not on emulator!"

If you can do it on console everytime, you can do it on emu really often, no johns.

Dingus

Smash Cadet
If you can do it on console everytime, you can do it on emu really often, no johns.
Honestly I figured it was probably coincidental, but thought I would ask anyway. I dont get enough practice on console right now to really comment one way or the other.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
This is simply a lie. Just as an example in my recent exploits, I could not come close to getting the same btt times on emulator as I do on console, believe me I've tried. Other things I can do easily on console but not on emu include shdl, shdair->uair w/ mario, shdoubleuair w/ pika. No I don't land these things everytime on console, but I do them with enough frequency that I can attempt them in matches. On emu, I don't even bother doing them in matches because I can't land them with the same frequency. Most of these tech skills I would say have to do with the smoothness of emu vs. console. For 1v1 matches, console is just smoother, and sorry if I can't explain that any better. Maybe my cpu sucks and is dropping frames, but I don't think so.

Another issue that affects spacing is that no one has found controller settings that are a perfect match to console. Any deviation at all makes spacing different from console, even for mediocre players like me.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Why are you talking about BTT? Do you SHDL only to break all the targets? I'm talking about buttons input, not joystick. Don't mix up everything please. So all your spacing or BTT thing is just irrelevant to what I said.

"Other things I can do easily on console but not on emu include shdl, shdair->uair w/ mario, shdoubleuair w/ pika."

^This is simply a lie.

What a good argument you bring there btw. You say I'm lying and you're not even proving the weird things you say. The "I can't explain it better, I just feel it" will totally convince everyone.

No point arguing, don't bother answering. (or if you do, I won't in return)

By the way, I can SH double uair EVERYTIME with Falcon on console (as well as a lot of insane combos), but never on emu. Too bad nobody plays me on console, I'm sure I'd beat all Europe.

Dingus

Smash Cadet
Thanks clubbadubba for the input. Im glad that I might not be entirely crazy. My inconsistency is probably mostly due to sucking, but maybe its partly playing on emu as well.

Unrelated. Is it possible to do grab chains 0 to death in the tent with DK on floaties? I couldnt get it to combo properly when I tried, but I suck.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Well I wasn't going to respond Sangoku, but then you edited you post to take more unjustified shots at me so you didn't really leave me a choice.

I'm talking about btt because you use lots of tech skill that isn't joystick related. That techskill I can do on console but not on emu, and I have hard evidence of that as my times on console are much faster than my emu times. In fact, I cannot complete many btt's on emu without taking my sweet sweet time. None of the techniques are shdl, but there are many techniques used that require similar button timings. It is not a stretch to say shdl is similarly affected. [Here is some proof, don't say I didn't provide it]

As far as saying you were lying, maybe that language was harsh and is why you got mad at me, so I'm legitimately sorry for phrasing it that way. I argued console tech is different than emu tech, and I backed up my argument by listing things that I can do much more easily on console than emulator, so don't say I didn't "weird things i said" when I did support them. I suppose I could measure percentages of times I land each technique to 'prove it,' but I'm not going to waste my time doing that. But for you to take those techniques I mentioned and say I'm lying about them without ever seeing me play on console doesn't make sense.

So we aren't really disagreeing that emu is harder, just on how much harder it is. I suppose the different for each person and probably varies from cpu to cpu as well.

Battlecow

Play to Win
fix your settings and emu should be just like console.

Works fine for me and I do Btt stuff on both.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I will definitely be looking at my joystick settings next time to see if I can make them better. I think its mostly the input lag that ****s with me though

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
I will definitely be looking at my joystick settings next time to see if I can make them better. I think its mostly the input lag that ****s with me though
same for me, in terms of joystick, its about 90% good so it doesnt mess me up that often, but for input lag, it destroys me. specially if im playing online and there are any lag spikes at all. however i havent spent much time messing around to try to find the best settings... oh well. maybe ill try it this friday...

Drasis

Smash Rookie
Hey,
my raphnet adapter just came in so I'm using my hori online now. It seems like my joystick's a little sluggish though. I especially notice this at character selection, when everyone else's hand moves faster than mine. I've also missed some up B's, which rarely happened to me before.

I have real 64 range checked and the slider at full. Anything else to check?

Top Bottom