• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Hey,
my raphnet adapter just came in so I'm using my hori online now. It seems like my joystick's a little sluggish though. I especially notice this at character selection, when everyone else's hand moves faster than mine. I've also missed some up B's, which rarely happened to me before.

I have real 64 range checked and the slider at full. Anything else to check?
You'll want to uncheck "real 64 range" and set it to 70-80%.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Think about what areas you can improve in your game and use friendlies focus on that/experiment.

For anyone that can do pivot utilts on controller consistently/easily, do you do the pivot on "top" of the controller and press a, or do you pivot normally then lightly tilt up and press a?

For anyone who is good at Yoshi DJC nairs (ballin?), do you button slide or use the same C button twice?

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
doo characters fall faster in free falll, or spinning "i just got attacked and dont feel getting out of this spiraling revene" thing?.. not to sure what else to call it
thanks!

asianaussie

Smash Hero
good question actually

im fairly sure the airspeed would eventually be the same, but you'd have to take into account the knockback and direction of the attack that caused the spiralling

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
okay heres what im getting at. flacon uair on any given opponenet. no more jumps. i want to dughug them but i think they may be a bit out of reach. if i attempt the hug, should i just get it over with, so if i miss i can kinda try to make my way to safety while there still paralyzed.
orr, should i wait a second (hoping that they mayy fall quicker if there in that paralysis state??) and than try it on safer terms.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
okay, thanks alot man.
ALSO. on this yoshi thing.
first off i double tap the same c. just saying.
secondly. im aware of fast throw. i dont know what you guys call it.. when you press z and a for a faster thow dealing only half the damage. on that note, lets turn the tables a bit. if i use r in the air as opposed to a, is there any advantage/disadvantage? other than personal preferance and less finger movement.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i don't think there's a 'fast throw', all throws do normal damage under all circumstances, subject to damage scaling (i might be wrong on the damage thing, but im 95% sure this is the case)

and no, there isn't any technical difference between R and A, because in smash, R is essentially a macro button that presses Z and A simultaneously no matter where you are

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
ohh gotchaa. and dude try the throw thing. it eliminates lag under certain cercaimstances and deffinitelly cut the damage in half

The Star King

Smash Hero
i don't think there's a 'fast throw', all throws do normal damage under all circumstances, subject to damage scaling (i might be wrong on the damage thing, but im 95% sure this is the case)

and no, there isn't any technical difference between R and A, because in smash, R is essentially a macro button that presses Z and A simultaneously no matter where you are
Shield grabs do half damage.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
lololol. bro dont sweat it. you main link right? really no reason to do with it link anywayy, i think the lag is the same for his throw regardless of what type of throw you do.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
that was half a joke, and link's grabs are really quite decent in a lot of situations

i just tested and mario, link and yoshi all do normal damage with all throws, unless it's a shield grab from a half depleted shield or something

technically, grabs do 0 damage and 0/2 is 0, so star king isn't wrong

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
i cant think of any examples of the top of my head. but im almost certain it does. thats where the cost of half the damage comes from. i kinda just know when to do which one so i dont think too much about it.

i could be wrong though. next time you have sheild lag, try it. it only works with some moves.

The Star King

Smash Hero
^No, as long as you don't drop your shield you can grab any amount of time after you receive shieldstun and your throw will do half damage.

And Kero, if you try shieldgrabbing it will always do half damage against any move, go try it out.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
If anything, doing a shield grab when you could just as easily do a regular grab would INCREASE lag, because of the frames it takes to pull up/put down the shield.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
there's no lag reduction

shieldgrabbing without receiving shieldstun is a normal throw, once you've taken any amount of shieldstun it's a half damage throw...is that right?

half damage throws also scale in the same way full damage throws do

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
dfdweoehughjfweb whatever. all im sayying is if your ever in a situation where you have sheild lag, just try it out. thats all.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Okay, so you're saying a shield-stunned shield grab (not putting down your shield before grabbing) all in all has LESS lag than a regular grab with the R-button?

Well, yeah... in a shield-stunned situation, it would take more time to put down your shield and press R than go directly to grab with a shielded A-button, but I don't think that's what you're getting at.

The Star King

Smash Hero
there's no lag reduction

shieldgrabbing without receiving shieldstun is a normal throw, once you've taken any amount of shieldstun it's a half damage throw...is that right?

half damage throws also scale in the same way full damage throws do
Yeah I think so.

Also sorry Kero but I think you're wrong. You never know though.

Sangoku

Smash Master
aa: I had already explained that in the shield thread. Star King asked about it, then I figured how it worked. Newbies don't read the smash index and old players don't read specific threads.

And I also double tap c, sliding is too fast for Yoshi, but it's good for Ness.

And Kero is wrong, there's no reduction of grab startup animation (which is the only "lag"), therefore it takes the same amount of time. Except if you drop out the shield first, then it's obviously slower.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Hey guys.
Anyone have any tips for beatting the pollygon team? because im so so so bad at it.
Allstar more.
I usually hang out in the center of the verry bottem. wait for them to come to me, throw throw throw. when its working well theres usually only one spawned at a time because of the spacing of the throws. Thumbs up.
but when it doesent work out well i get destroyed. and its one of those situations where your like, ... when the hell did i take 90 damage? thumbs down.
Thank you!

Battlecow

Play to Win
Hey guys.
Anyone have any tips for beatting the pollygon team? because im so so so bad at it.
Allstar more.
I usually hang out in the center of the verry bottem. wait for them to come to me, throw throw throw. when its working well theres usually only one spawned at a time because of the spacing of the throws. Thumbs up.
but when it doesent work out well i get destroyed. and its one of those situations where your like, ... when the hell did i take 90 damage? thumbs down.
Thank you!
Spam up-B with kirby

Spam up-b with DK

Spam get-up attacks with anyone, esp. DK

It's harder than that though, there are little tricks to the timings, etc...

The Star King

Smash Hero
OK well despite everyone saying double tap I think I'm going with sliding, feels a lot more comfortable. Sorry for asking then ignoring everyone lol.

I also made up a method for doing uairs without needing to tilt lightly and still avoiding midair jumping, since the kb player in me hates tilting. You basically press A and up on the controll stick at the same time, and it doesn't matter how hard you press the control stick. Don't know if other people do this but it seems way better to me than tilting. Can be used for ff uairs, platform drop uairs, dairs without fastfalling etc.

Top Bottom