• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Sangoku

Smash Master
Hi everyone!

I usually play with a controller, but I've been thinking that trying the keyboard might be useful (obviously when I play on emulator ^^).

Do you have advices concerning in which way I should assign the keys? Or at least, can you give me your configuration?

Thank you!

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I can't seem to Jab cancel with Pikachu. Do you jab then press grab after? I'm using a keyboard if that helps.

DMoogle

A$
I think that's how you do it (grab IMMEDIATELY after). It's tricky for sure, just keep practicing.

Also, we're not too far apart geographically. Any interest in getting together some time for some console Smash 64?

dandan

Smash Lord
I can't seem to Jab cancel with Pikachu. Do you jab then press grab after? I'm using a keyboard if that helps.
i find it really really hard to jab grab on keyboard, a lot easier on pad for some reason.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Jab grabbing is easier on a player or on a shield than empty. The hitlag from the jab increases the time til you should hit R. It's still almost immediate but I can rarely jabgrab on nothing, but its easy on a shield/char.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Nobody is willing to answer to my previous question? :(

If it's because my question is pointless, tell me at least. ^_^

Thanks!
Find a keyboard setup that works. Make sure your keys are close enough to z-cancel. Most people use the up down, left, and right arrows for movement, a key close by for short hops, and a few others on the opposite side of the keyboard for A, B, L, R, and Z.

Or, if you wish to use a controller, buy a n64 controller adapter.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
why would you waste your time with keyboard when you have a controller already?

most people use wasd for movement because using movement controls on your right hand is very awkward

dandan

Smash Lord
most people use wasd for movement because using movement controls on your right hand is very awkward
i still do not get why it is akward, is it because they are used to pads where they control the movement with the left hand. i dunno, i am right handed and play with the right hand for movement, seems logical to me as i want the more percise hand control the fine movements.

The Star King

Smash Hero
When does anything with the arrow keys require anything remotely technical...? I use my dominant hand (right) for the button keys for increased consistency, and WASD for mocement.

dandan

Smash Lord
When does anything with the arrow keys require anything remotely technical...? I use my dominant hand (right) for the button keys for increased consistency, and WASD for mocement.
i think it works really well for DI.
ofcourse keyboard works very well to that enf anyhow.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Thank you everyone for your answers!

why would you waste your time with keyboard when you have a controller already?
It's just that if one day, by any chance I only have a computer and no controller I wouldn't be stuck (on holiday for example). And also my controllers are getting old and I haven't found any website where I could buy a new official (nintendo) controller. I bought EAXUS ones, but they are so crappy I can't even play (when you tilt down, the character sometimes jumps).

Anyway I'll try both wasd and the arrows to see which I find more comfortable.

Thanks again!

dandan

Smash Lord
Thank you everyone for your answers!

It's just that if one day, by any chance I only have a computer and no controller I wouldn't be stuck (on holiday for example). And also my controllers are getting old and I haven't found any website where I could buy a new official (nintendo) controller. I bought EAXUS ones, but they are so crappy I can't even play (when you tilt down, the character sometimes jumps).

Anyway I'll try both wasd and the arrows to see which I find more comfortable.

Thanks again!
ebay is your friend

Sangoku

Smash Master
Are there new controllers on ebay? I didn't know that! ^^ I thought it was only second hand (which might be as old as my own ones) or unofficial ones.

And I don't have a credit card, so I'll have to find somebody accepting bank transfer...

rom2014

Smash Rookie
Hi all,

I'm curious to know what people have their analog range and deadzone set to when they play online? And does it make much of a difference? I assume everyone uses the n-rage plugin so yeah.

Thanks.

mother_brain

Smash Rookie
so after watching a ton of youtube videos of luigi players (mostly videos of isai, tbh), i'm pretty sure i've (almost) decided to pretty much go against the tier list and main luigi. however, before i really set it in stone, since i'm relatively new to the community, i'm really curious as to how players come to a decision of which character to main with, and also, if players think it's a good or bad choice to decide to focus on playing as one character.

i'd really appreciate all responses to either of these issues.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Who cares about the tier list, 64 is the game in the series where you can play any character and do fairly well.

I main Link because I like him and he's fun to play as.

Learn to play as one character and you'll be able to play as others when your general skill level gets better. Luigi might be hard for your first character, but I'm certainly not going to discourage you from using him.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Having one character that people associate with is cool, but to be a better player you should be playing almost every character to an extent, to learn how to play against them at the very least.

Otherwise listen to what Cheeseball is saying.

DMoogle

A$
Having one character that people associate with is cool, but to be a better player you should be playing almost every character to an extent, to learn how to play against them at the very least.

Otherwise listen to what Cheeseball is saying.
THIS.

Besides, playing against someone who only plays one character can get boring.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
How do I get counterpick *****? Yoshi is fairly good vs everyone in ssb64.

It's not like Pichu vs Sheik ***** in melee or something.

Top Bottom