• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

sharksquail

Smash Ace
I've been having trouble dealing with Link's projectiles. Is it best to just try to avoid them or to try to knock them away with another move?

sharksquail

Smash Ace
I just borrowed a super pad 64 from a friend, and tried to use it on PJ64K, but it just wen haywire. Does anyone know of a pulgin that works with the super pad, or does it just not work online?

dandan

Smash Lord
I just borrowed a super pad 64 from a friend, and tried to use it on PJ64K, but it just wen haywire. Does anyone know of a pulgin that works with the super pad, or does it just not work online?
it also might be your adapter. for example, the hori pad does not work with any adapter.

RedhatPika

Smash Rookie
if mupen is considered the better emulator to PJ64K, why do so many people prefer PJ64k over mupen? if that's not that case, why do more people use PJ64k as their base emulator?

The Star King

Smash Hero
if mupen is considered the better emulator to PJ64K, why do so many people prefer PJ64k over mupen? if that's not that case, why do more people use PJ64k as their base emulator?
A more powerful computer is required, but the main factor seems to be that people don't want to use it because nobody else is using it, and they'll only switch if everyone else switches first. Kind of silly to be honest, but I'm as guilty of it as the next guy.

RedhatPika

Smash Rookie
oh, i only ask because for some reason PJ64k doesn't recognize ROMS, but mupen recognizes them perfectly fine. I want to play online, but it seems tough getting games. i ask in chat room but no on responds. I feel like I have to develop a name before getting games.

Still have to finalize getting a controller to work well though

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
by my understanding it has several problems, the most serious of them is frame skips.
ohh, hmm.

At least 2v2 seems less laggy.

W/e, it's not like I like using GC controllers anyways. I was just curious :p ty

RedhatPika

Smash Rookie
It's not that hard to find them >_>
i worded my OP wrong. I've tried at least 5-10 different ROMS, and for some reason PJ64K always says "Bad rom? Use GoodN64 for check for updated INI", but mupen has no problem recognizing the ROMs and lets me play them. I've tried everything, and can't seem to get it to work, so I'm stuck with mupen

Sangoku

Smash Master
Hi everyone!

I was wondering how to do a bomb recovery with Link. I don't think there is a thread talking about this and I can't manage to hit the bomb after dropping it...
Anyhow is it useful as a recovery move or does it almost never work?

Thanks in advance!

DMoogle

A$
i worded my OP wrong. I've tried at least 5-10 different ROMS, and for some reason PJ64K always says "Bad rom? Use GoodN64 for check for updated INI", but mupen has no problem recognizing the ROMs and lets me play them. I've tried everything, and can't seem to get it to work, so I'm stuck with mupen
Explain exactly what you mean by trying different ROMs. How, step by step, do you load them?
Hi everyone!

I was wondering how to do a bomb recovery with Link. I don't think there is a thread talking about this and I can't manage to hit the bomb after dropping it...
Anyhow is it useful as a recovery move or does it almost never work?

Thanks in advance!
Lightly throw your bomb down and b-air into it.

Full procedure:
1. You get hit away from stage.
2. Once you're out of hitstun, you use your mid-air jump and pull out a bomb.
3. Lightly throw it down.
4. Use your back-air to hit it, it will explode.
5. The explosion knocks you forward, but turns you around.
6. Try to recovery.

It almost never helps. But almost never is not the same as never.

DMoogle

A$
Once you figure out how it's done, it doesn't take all that much practice.

But honestly, it's literally only helped me recover two or three times, and I use Link a lot.

Of course, those two or three times were totally awesome...

Sangoku

Smash Master
Okay! Should I always try or is it better to do it only in desperate cases? I mean is this recovery (when it fails) worse than classic recovery?

And do you have any video of a working bomb recovery? ^^

dandan

Smash Lord
btw only bairing is really not enough, as it turns you around, you also need to di the hit to get yourself closer.

RedhatPika

Smash Rookie
Explain exactly what you mean by trying different ROMs. How, step by step, do you load them?

I DL a ROM from a website. I would extract all the zipped files using winrar, and place them into a folder. I would set my directory as where I saved them (usually a folder on desktop) and refresh. Would show up as "Bad Rom? Use GoodN64 and check for updated INI" However, using those same ROMs work perfectly fine on mupen. (on vista btw, and yes, I downloaded the PJ64K for vista)

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman
I DL a ROM from a website. I would extract all the zipped files using winrar, and place them into a folder. I would set my directory as where I saved them (usually a folder on desktop) and refresh. Would show up as "Bad Rom? Use GoodN64 and check for updated INI" However, using those same ROMs work perfectly fine on mupen. (on vista btw, and yes, I downloaded the PJ64K for vista)
you shouldn't be using project64kVE in the first place

download this:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mjgzlwymczz

extract like usual, place it on a place like maybe your desktop, set your new directory and set-up like usual. You won't be having that problem.

RedhatPika

Smash Rookie
you shouldn't be using project64kVE in the first place

download this:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mjgzlwymczz

extract like usual, place it on a place like maybe your desktop, set your new directory and set-up like usual. You won't be having that problem.
wow. thank you. it works. why is p64kVE even available if that works fine?

my next question (lol) is, how do i get my gameshark codes to carry over online, so that i have all characters + stages + item turn off. i have it set and it works single player, but not online. do i have to have a game set up and do it every time? or just once online and it will stick?

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman

my next question (lol) is, how do i get my gameshark codes to carry over online, so that i have all characters + stages + item turn off. i have it set and it works single player, but not online. do i have to have a game set up and do it every time? or just once online and it will stick?
open project64k.exe, when it's loaded, do this:

Run the smash 64 ROM > Options > Gameshark codes (codes) > check the All Characters box > Expand the Vs. Mode cheats by clicking the plus button > check "Have Mushroom Kingdom"

After you have them selected, they'll stay so you don't have to worry about having to check them every single time you play. When you're the host, the cheats will transfer to your opponent and if you're not the host, hope your opponent has those cheats on ;)

EDIT: there's a cheat out there for auto items off but i wouldn't deal with it now, sometimes it causes desynch and if you have that checked and join a game, it also affects that game (even though you're not the host)

dandan

Smash Lord

your cheat settings will automtically affect p2p, you have to reset them when you are playing on a server.

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman
your cheat settings will automtically affect p2p, you have to reset them when you are playing on a server.
i'm not sure what server you're playing on but that's not the case. EmulinkerSF 58.9 was plagued by that bug where you had to reset your cheats before the game starts but it has been updated quite a while now.

DMoogle

A$
i'm not sure what server you're playing on but that's not the case. EmulinkerSF 58.9 was plagued by that bug where you had to reset your cheats before the game starts but it has been updated quite a while now.
You used to have to reset the cheats every time you loaded a game (after you loaded it, not before) on Galaxy 64, but yeah, they fixed that a long time ago.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I think we need a video critique thread. Maybe with a featured video (a good one or one that highlights a really glaring flaw, and how to avoid it).

Most character forums on the site have this sort of thing going, and I think we should have one where critique from both sides can be given, seeing as everybody knows the basics of every character in this game.

The Star King

Smash Hero
You go higher if you start Kirby's up-b on the ground than in the air, so maybe you're pressing B a little late after tapping up, causing you to jump first... If you do it low enough, Kirby can't reach the top of the **** tent.

tre11

Smash Rookie
So my friend and I play smash alot I play as kirby and he plays as ness after a couple hours we usually end up with the same number of wins. What I don't get is how ness is ranked so much lower than kirby, and on Smash wiki ness is also said to be at a disadvantage, even though in most collisions ness wins, he also has a more effective spike (Dair), and a better grab. Why are kirby and ness ranked where they are and what are some things that could help me with Kirby vs Ness?

DMoogle

A$
The tier list is created for a certain (high) level of play. At certain low levels, Ness is absolutely one of the best characters to use, IMO.

rpotts

Smash Lord
It's very hard to give you advice if we can't actually watch vids of you/play you.

General tips

If ness is above you, coming down to spike or whatever, use up tilt. It breaks through all of ness' aerials if you time it right. After you hit him, use your drills to rack up damage and finish with a high knockback move like fsmash or bair. Once you've got him offstage hes a sitting duck. (This is one reason hes low on the tier list) Intercept him during his upb, or wait for him to land and exploit ness' high landing lag. You can even spike him during his PK thunder 2 if you space it right.

If you get grabbed alot, practice dashdancing and pivot fsmashing to better avoid his grab.

Approach with drills or space bairs/nairs and wait for an opening, like a missed uptilt or fsmash.

Don't bother grabbing a lot with kirby, he usually has better options.

Edgeguard with Fsmash/dtilt at the ledge, dair during his double jump/upb or really whatever you want, kirby has many good methods to edgeguard ness.

Top Bottom