• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

NTA

Smash Lord
Installed project on a different pc for the first time in 7 months. Every thing went fine, Ive got the controller worling and everything. But when i Load the game I get failed to open file. Is there a noob thing I have done wrong?
Did you reset the rom directories and check in the settings to see what folder it uses for the roms?

Olikus

Smash Champion
What does n64 players use on threshold? If i have to high number i cant jump, if i have to low its hard to run/pivot.

Olikus

Smash Champion
I actually looked on the adapter thread, and went to ccontrol panel for controller settings, and it all worked out =)

Limaçon

Smash Apprentice
I have a new pk64k problem. It takes ~20 seconds for a kaillera game to start up and people end up dropping thinking that the game isn't opening. It is a fairly new problem (though it doesn't seem to have anything to do with connection speed) and everything else is perfectly fine. Is there any way to improve the start up speed?

DMoogle

A$
I have a new pk64k problem. It takes ~20 seconds for a kaillera game to start up and people end up dropping thinking that the game isn't opening. It is a fairly new problem (though it doesn't seem to have anything to do with connection speed) and everything else is perfectly fine. Is there any way to improve the start up speed?
I've played against a guy with the same problem, and he said it was because he was playing the game directly from a USB stick.

Do you have it stored anywhere other than your hard drive?

Limaçon

Smash Apprentice
I've played against a guy with the same problem, and he said it was because he was playing the game directly from a USB stick.

Do you have it stored anywhere other than your hard drive?
Nope, it is even stored in the same directory as another install of pj64k that never had the problem (it just started always crashing trying to load glide rather than the plugin I had selected).

I wonder if installing a copy of TinyXP rather than the ASUS OEM copy I am using right now will fix my persistent pj64k problems. If I can find a USB cd drive to borrow I will try that.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Good escape mashing is related to good DI

It's really not that hard to have good escape mashing. When I'm ready for it, I can escape pretty much before DK comes out of his jump animation- and I have notoriously slow fingers.

Anyways, if it's not effective against good players who do it right, I wouldn't make it a fundamental part of your game. The other good players will probably catch up someday (e.g. when DK matters)
Mashing isn't going to get you far, i have been practicing legit DI inputs and it is much more effective and improves your game, you can also just use the congo hold escape trick for DK.

#HBC | ѕoup

unless i'm not interpreting what you said, you were talking about mashing random directions is related to good DI, when i rebbutted and said that actual inputs are better than mashing, then some **** about escaping DK and i mentioned congo holds

Battlecow

Play to Win
-Being able to mash buttons fast is a critical component of both good wiggling and good DI.

-It's "Cargo Hold"

- We were talking about escaping DK's cargo hold fast enough so that he couldn't throw jiggs out of it and follow with a GP. This requires mashing, not whatever cargo-stall escaping technique you were talking about.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I know you don't ever really play on controller, but do you really not see the connection between being able to mash + wiggle quickly and being able to wiggle the stick quickly?

Like I said, good escape mashing is related to good DI.

+ we were kinda talking about KB SO THERE

The Star King

Smash Hero
Correct me if I'm wrong, but most people rotate the stick on controller when they are trying to escape DK's cargo hold, which anybody can do, but it isn't going to cut it for DI.

Anyways, I though you were talking about just button mashing, not button mashing + wiggling stick. You only threw that in there now.

We were talking about KB, but you can assume that Soupa wasn't.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
Play vs human players, then people will critque your playstyle.
my ISP caps my upload speed at 1MBPS, so when i play online the best possible fps i can get is ~50. I have a few friends i play locally, but no way to record my console games. I know computers are not ideal, but i'm trying to improve and playing computers is better practice than playing 10 laggy seconds online before a desync. =(

dandan

Smash Lord
btw, kaillera needs less than 1mbps of upload to run at full speed, and the lag can be a symptom of another problem.

Limaçon

Smash Apprentice
my ISP caps my upload speed at 1MBPS, so when i play online the best possible fps i can get is ~50. I have a few friends i play locally, but no way to record my console games. I know computers are not ideal, but i'm trying to improve and playing computers is better practice than playing 10 laggy seconds online before a desync. =(
I play just fine without lag on 22kB/s up, bandwidth is not the problem (even if you meant Mb/s, that is still enough).

Battlecow

Play to Win
OK, i'm getting smash 64 today and i was wondering what's a good starter character?
Kirby's the easiest to learn, but everyone will secretly hate you if you play him

Falcon's the manliest and most fun (no matter what the haters say)

Pikachu's "the best"

No one plays Mario but he's pretty good, so you could pick him and be original

Some people like Fox IDK why I think he's boring

Yoshi is wacky and different, really his own character

DK's tons of fun and no one plays him either

You can pick a ****ty character if you want, but I'd advise against Ness, Jiggly, Luigi, Link, or Samus- they're too ****ty for me personally, although some people get really good with them.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=250563

^^Tier list

The Star King

Smash Hero
You have horrible taste in who's fun and who's not, Battlecow.

Although I do think anybody can learn to enjoy any character if they want to.

:phone:

Mr Wizzrobe

Smash Journeyman
"Fun to play" Tier List. In my experience, anyway.

S tier: Link
A tier: DK, Falcon, Fox
B tier: Pikachu
C tier: Mario
D tier: Samus, Puff, Yoshi, Luigi
E tier: Ness
F tier: Kirby

EDIT: Wow Ballin you beat me to it.

The Star King

Smash Hero
THE REAL UNDENIABLE FUN TIER LIST:
S tier
Link/Yoshi

A tier
Fox/Falcon(if you don't go for just boring uair combos)
Jigglypuff
Samus
Ness

B tier
Pikachu
Kirby
Luigi/DK/Mario

Edit: On second thought, this list isn't really fair since I have more fun with low tiers simply because I win too easily with high tiers. This isn't really the characters' fault, but me being too good /arrogance. I bumped Fox and Falcon up to make up for this, but I didn't really for Kirby and Pikachu. Also, Yoshi was my least favorite character for a long time, which shows to me that you have more fun with characters that you are adept with. Anyways, it changes a lot; some days, I have the most fun with like, Mario, and hate Fox.

Wow this is dumb why did I post this

army man

Smash Ace
wow i just finished playing, i finally picked link as my main. fighting polygon team on very hard is so hard(if it's easy for you.....wow is all i can say)! pikachu looks like a gummybear rofl and his taunt is so weird. i love 64.

#HBC | ѕoup

THE REAL UNDENIABLE FUN TIER LIST:
S tier
Link/Yoshi

A tier
Fox/Falcon(if you don't go for just boring uair combos)
Jigglypuff
Samus
Ness

B tier
Pikachu
Kirby
Luigi/DK/Mario

Edit: On second thought, this list isn't really fair since I have more fun with low tiers simply because I win too easily. This isn't really the characters' fault, but me being too good /arrogance. I bumped Fox and Falcon up to make up for this, but I didn't really for Kirby and Pikachu. Also, Yoshi was my least favorite character for a long time, which shows to me that you have more fun with characters that you are adept with. Anyways, it changes a lot; some days, I have the most fun with like, Mario, and hate Fox.

Wow this is dumb why did I post this

Top -
people i win with

low -
people i lose with

/discussion

bleh

S tier -
Mario
DK
Spamus