• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Destiny Warrior

Smash Apprentice
I've got a question.

While Fox is a fastfaller, could it artificially make itself a slower faller by using Reflector multiple times?

This is purely theoretical, as in a match, it likely wouldn't be a good idea.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
well..yes, but as you said, it wouldn't be a good idea.

do you bring this up because you having trouble with something?

it would help if you a bit more specific.

Destiny Warrior

Smash Apprentice
I'm basically just messing around with the game, learning exploits and stuff. I'm trying to see if Fox's Reflector could be used for purposes outside of Spiking and the obvious projectile reflects.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Yeah it makes yourself a lot more slowly. Useful if both you and your opponent are falling to your deaths, and you want to make sure he dies first.

Can also be used as a mindgame sometimes, like approaching from above then using it quickly, avoiding their hit.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Top -
people i win with

low -
people i lose with

/discussion
I worded it badly. I didn't mean to say that I win too easily with low tiers and thus I have fun, I meant that meant that I win too easily with high tiers so I have fun with low tiers. Lol. So it's kind of the opposite of what you said.

Why does Yoshi and Kirby not exist in your list

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
S:
Ness
Falcon
Yoshi

A:
Kirby
Fox
Link
DK

B:
Pikachu
Mario
Jigglypuff
Samus

C:
Luigi

Kirby is heckers fun with final cutter combos, weak nairs>fsmash finsihers, uairs and more.

Too underappreciated

Mr Wizzrobe

Smash Journeyman
If you aren't gay with Falcon, he's a lot more fun to play.

Go through an entire match without Uair. It's painful at first, but you get to be so much more creative with combos.

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
I've been trying to play online but i keep getting lag spikes. I average around 50-55 fps when playing. Can anyone help figure out whats going wrong?

Heres all the information I can think of that could help.
I'm not online
i'm alone on my network
i'm connected from my computer to my router to my cablebox via eithernet
My download / upload speeds are 5Mb/s and 1Mb/s
My ping is always <100, normally around 50-60
I always play with 0 other programs open. I even use a program to close out of all my background services.
I use P64KVE .13 core 1.4 and n02 v0.5r1 (kaillera 0.9 compatible). I've been playing on galaxy and godweapon servers.
P64K runs perfectly fine when im playing offline.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
I worded it badly. I didn't mean to say that I win too easily with low tiers and thus I have fun, I meant that meant that I win too easily with high tiers so I have fun with low tiers. Lol. So it's kind of the opposite of what you said.

Why does Yoshi and Kirby not exist in your list
because kirby is troll material and my yoshi is bad, so it wasn't technically directed towards you, :o

Battlecow

Play to Win
I think people get too into doing crazy/stupid combos, gimmicky techniques, etc. in matches. Yes, it's impressive. Yes, it's fun. But for me, at least, you get a lot more fun out of improving and winning and trying to outplay your opponents and stuff.

tl;dr

Stop having fun. Smash is srs bsns.

Limaçon

Smash Apprentice
I've been trying to play online but i keep getting lag spikes. I average around 50-55 fps when playing. Can anyone help figure out whats going wrong?

Heres all the information I can think of that could help.
I'm not online
i'm alone on my network
i'm connected from my computer to my router to my cablebox via eithernet
My download / upload speeds are 5Mb/s and 1Mb/s
My ping is always <100, normally around 50-60
I always play with 0 other programs open. I even use a program to close out of all my background services.
I use P64KVE .13 core 1.4 and n02 v0.5r1 (kaillera 0.9 compatible). I've been playing on galaxy and godweapon servers.
P64K runs perfectly fine when im playing offline.
Is VE the only build that will run for you? I was running a version that had the exact same problem (no network issues, running ~50fps online, fine offline), but switching to Dandan's bundle solved it for me.

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
Is VE the only build that will run for you? I was running a version that had the exact same problem (no network issues, running ~50fps online, fine offline), but switching to Dandan's bundle solved it for me.
The original one was failing on me, but im willing to try anything to play online. Can i get a link to this download? Is it the one listed in the sticky?

Edit: I used the one found here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=262536
I downloaded the mediafire link posted by dandan to download the 'Very Important Files - Project 64K - Updated"

Still no luck, i am still stuck at 50-55 fps. =(

Zorabotic

Smash Rookie
Would anyone mind helping me get better by playing with me and telling me what I'm doing wrong/right? I'm in Galaxy as Zorabotic.

:phone:

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I think people get too into doing crazy/stupid combos, gimmicky techniques, etc. in matches. Yes, it's impressive. Yes, it's fun. But for me, at least, you get a lot more fun out of improving and winning and trying to outplay your opponents and stuff.

tl;dr

Stop having fun. Smash is srs bsns.
I would agree until you reach a certain point.

The best times I had in SSB was when I was totally **** and everyone was better than me. Had a couple of rivals and you would follow the path to greatness together, taking on the bumpy roads along the way. Then you reach your destination and you're just chilling there and it's pretty rubbish.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I agree with ciaza. Being good is actually really lonely IMO. Destroying everybody gets old pretty fast, and playing good people is rare.

Oh, and Battlecow, you can try to go for flashy combos and gimmicks and still try to improve and outplay your opponent.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Lol you guys

I would accept that from Isai. Literally no one else has any right to say it whatsoever. "Being good is lonely"? What rubbish. You could both strive to improve, try your hardest to beat what rivals you have left or to reach a new pinnacle of skill. Star King, if you're starved for competition, ask someone in S-tier for p2p. they'll oblige. You're not that good. Ciaza, move to America, or work your *** off to get a high-paying job so that you can move to America.

And yeah, you can do both, and there's no harm in it, but a lot of people here take their gimmicks and flash too seriously IMO- it's their decision, obviously, but I think that focusing on improvement would be more fun in the long run.

Or you could be like me and focus on improving until it becomes hard and then make halfhearted stabs at it once in a while.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I get 4 frames or more with malva, JaimeHR, and Boomfan, which I don't really enjoy against people better than me. Frogles is rarely on, and Sensei disappeared from the face of the earth. Not an option.

The A tiers are fun to play, but none of the others are on that often except Sheer, who kind of gets stale after a while (no offense).

I'm sure that it would be even worse if I was good as say, Isai, but it's already pretty bad.

Oh, and I'm not saying any of the other top players are lonely. This is only really because of the type of person I am. I have more fun having good competition as opposed to destroying somebody.

Battlecow

Play to Win
So use my Ciaza advice and pull some of your starlord strings and move to Champaign, land of 2 frames with absolutely everyone and 1 frame on server.

Or teach me how to be legit so that we can spar with each other in a never-ending spiral of ascending skill, where the victory of one over the other serves only to incite the loser to new poetic heights of sublime smash skill.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Thing is, Australia is an isolated community. I could be absolute rubbish compared to you guys in America for all I know, but in Australia, I would argue at least, that there is no one significantly better than me.

I'm probably coming off arrogant but that's my viewpoint. One day imma go to America and p2p all you nubs though ;)

Battlecow

Play to Win
No, you're right. That's why you need to come to America, like I said in my first post.

Anyways your response sounded like it was meant to apply to everyone, and not just the 8 people from Australia.

Battlecow

Play to Win
"Most" means there's still room for improvement. "Most" means that it's time to kick it into gear.

And you couldn't just FYI

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
And I will go into top gear once I go to America. In Australia there's no need to do that unless I'm playing my RIVAL Rom or something, which I'm saving to do at Smash Bash. Anyways, we're going to drag malva and stuff down here in 2012 for that Aussie tourney that was hype ages ago, so that's probably when we'll actually get some real perspective.

And I can BTW

Battlecow

Play to Win
All right then. Practice obscure stuff and be bored, save it up for that mythical moment when you, too, can journey to America, land of opportunity and wonder.

And no, you couldn't. MM when you get here?

Battlecow

Play to Win
(U) [!], of course. Console... maybe. We'll see how good I get at that ****.

How much?

Also I'm not obligated to drive more than 5 hours to do it so if you're in NYC or Cali and there's no big tourney NICE TRY but no

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Well I'm not MMing online with stuff like lagswitches floating around. I'd settle for console or offline emulator even. I suggest NTSC because I know you're used to online so NTSC will be the 60FPS you're accustomed to.

I'll see how much spending money I have at the time. But since this so hype I'd go upwards of $250 if necessary. Subject to change once I see the caliber of talent for myself once I get over there.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Oh yeah, offline for sure. But I might have to hang onto my KB so if you don't mind, and I haven't made THE SWITCH, emu might be good.

I should have enough cash to cover any bet you can throw my way.

And I'm fully aware that at my current skill level I'll almost certainly lose, FYI.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Well if you're certain you'll lose and you're accepting any offer, I can put up the 15K I've saved up, if I wanted to.

Even though I'm certain you're just MIND-GAMING me.

We'll see, it won't be for a while.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Oh, I'm not. I just hate money. Ask anyone- I'm certain to lose. Don't pay any attention to the people who say I've never lost a MM, or that I'm perfectly capable of sandbagging the American servers for years in advance to prepare for just such an occasion. They don't know me.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Pshaw, who are you, James? Seen it all, son. He did the same thing for our Aussie tournament.

Looks like it's time to get my Ness, Samus and Luigi in gear - my best characters FYI. I'd start practising against them if I were you.

Battlecow

Play to Win
My best character is Polygon DK, just FYI. Yes, Olikus and I have been the same person all along. I've just been testing the skills of Europe to see if there are any worthy victims there.

I'm also Harryponting just FYI, but you guys failed to produce worthy competition even before I had the chance to play you.

I'd tell you to practice, but no amount of practice will prepare you.

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
i gotsta questions.

does getting hit while you're fast falling have an effect on knockback?
crouching reduces knock back, i think... is this ever useful/tactical/better than shielding?
who is the best tech chaser?

The Star King

Smash Hero
Or teach me how to be legit so that we can spar with each other in a never-ending spiral of ascending skill, where the victory of one over the other serves only to incite the loser to new poetic heights of sublime smash skill.
I'd actually like that lol

Teaching people IRL is way better than online, though

Battlecow

Play to Win
True

OK we gotta go to the same college now.

One of the Ivy Leagues, obviously. I think Princeton, don't you? Too much grade inflation at Harvard.

IN THE MEANTIME I had a couple of breakthroughs on minipad last night so I'm gonna get another adapter (sigh) and start playing online with that.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Haha, not likely.

This might surprise some people, but I'm actually a pretty bad student, even if I'm smarter than like 99% of people my age.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
i gotsta questions.

does getting hit while you're fast falling have an effect on knockback?
crouching reduces knock back, i think... is this ever useful/tactical/better than shielding?
who is the best tech chaser?
"does getting hit while you're fast falling have an effect on knockback?"
Shouldn't afaik.

"crouching reduces knock back, i think... is this ever useful/tactical/better than shielding?"
You're right, it's called crouch cancelling. At really low percents it might be better than shielding, as your hitstun would be less than that of the shield hit stun you would have gotten from shielding, allowing you to recover faster and counter-attack quicker.

"who is the best tech chaser?"
I would argue Ness, his ability to DJC allows him to tech chase repeatably at ease at very low percents.

Top Bottom