• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Sangoku

Smash Master
Nah, all we have is the thread by AntD. What do you mean by real weights though? Like whether link is 140 or 150 pounds? And where would it be even possible to find those?

SSBPete

Smash Lord
You can only measure objects in pounds on Earth's surface since it takes gravity into account. Since their is no uniform 'gravity' in the game, it's reasonable to conclude you can't give characters 'real weights'. If you want masses, that would be more plausable, and would also be measured in kilograms.

Drasis

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

I've been playing steadily more and more on console, and now that I can feel things starting to click, there are also a few moves bothering me bc I can't get them down.

First, with Kirby (though I seem to screw this up with other characters too) I'm constantly doing Usmash? and Uair? when trying to UTilt. This happens just standing still and especially when coming out of Dair and Fair. I'm using a controller....maybe I lack the finesse? I think I read about 'buffering' once, what is that and is it relevant?

Also, I generally feel like I'm usually on the ground too long after landing. I Z cancel (though not all that well). I used to end up shielded on the ground, but now it seems like I'm constantly rolling one way or the other. But it would be useful to just hop back up....does this have everything to do with timing? I've started trying to tap or jam the c buttons faster, sometimes almost spastically, but I'm not sure I'm on the right track at all... I really started noticing this the more I play with Link. I can rang and bomb like a wizard in the air but touching back on the ground gives me the slug.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Tilting is a matter of holding the stick partway to the maximum range. Don't smash it too far or you will end up smashing/jumping with an aerial.

You can buffer too, which is holding a direction to the maximum range during an animation, and keeping it held. More relevant on keyboard, though you can buffer on console, I guess.

Master Z-cancelling. Mashing Z and getting shields/rolls 50% of the time will not do. Aside from that I'm not sure as to what you're asking in that last paragraph...if you want to be in the air a lot, time it and get used to characters' landing animations. Link in particular has a slow-ish jump anyway. Also, staying in the air the whole time is not always wise.

kenshen

Smash Journeyman
You can only measure objects in pounds on Earth's surface since it takes gravity into account. Since their is no uniform 'gravity' in the game, it's reasonable to conclude you can't give characters 'real weights'. If you want masses, that would be more plausable, and would also be measured in kilograms.
So we can't just hack open the game and dump them but if it is the only option so be it.

tyhiggz

Smash Apprentice
I've read all there is on yoshi and have been trying to work on making my djc quicker and trying to combo n-airs but I can't get the combo past 1 because they always hit the ground before I can hit them again. I think the problem is a combination of me being too slow and not z-canceling well. I also am wondering at what point you can input movement to chase the opponent; my sideways movement is very poor when I try this chain. I often f-air or b-air as I am trying to chase them while also doing djc. I was inspired by Prince and Alancitu and would like to get this down.

Olikus

Smash Champion
allright got a new project64k from dandan and tried recodring with that one too. Still doesnt work.

omg >_____________________>

The Star King

Smash Hero
Maybe your computer is placing them somewhere else. Maybe run a search on your computer for "SuperSmashBrosU.krec" files?

IDK just throwing ideas out there

Olikus

Smash Champion
Found out that I cant either watch krec files in my playback from others. Maybe my playbackl is broken or something.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I've read all there is on yoshi and have been trying to work on making my djc quicker and trying to combo n-airs but I can't get the combo past 1 because they always hit the ground before I can hit them again. I think the problem is a combination of me being too slow and not z-canceling well. I also am wondering at what point you can input movement to chase the opponent; my sideways movement is very poor when I try this chain. I often f-air or b-air as I am trying to chase them while also doing djc. I was inspired by Prince and Alancitu and would like to get this down.
There's some subtle joystick manipulation involved sometimes.

You have to jump, double jump while holding forward, move stick to neutral and hit a for a nair, then move the stick back to forward.

Also, if you time the double jump a little late, you'll go a little bit higher and a lot farther forward. Experiment and you should see the difference.

tyhiggz

Smash Apprentice
I'll be sure to hit up training mode today. It will take some time, but that's the exact advice I needed. Thanks, ballin.

brentosfreshness

Smash Cadet
NNID
brentvickers
i'm interested to know how this works? i have only done ssb64 tourneys irl. how do you do these online? through wii or emulator or what? i am admittedly ignorant when it comes to this, but i love ssb64 !!!!

DMoogle

A$
i'm interested to know how this works? i have only done ssb64 tourneys irl. how do you do these online? through wii or emulator or what? i am admittedly ignorant when it comes to this, but i love ssb64 !!!!
We play on emulators that have Kaillera, which allows them to connect with other people and play over the internet. There's more information in the Smash Index thread. Feel free to ask questions that aren't answered there in here about setting it up and stuff.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
The same thing apply with Ness I assume? I always fair when trying to DJC nair with Yoshi. Should go to training mode more ^^.
Same joystick movement.

The extra horizontal boost works a LITTLE with Ness if you're going forward (pretty much negligible), and a LOT if you're going backwards (Yoshi will turn around in his second jump so it's a moot point for him).

Also I don't really do nair chains with Ness. I find fair chains better and easier.

Limaçon

Smash Apprentice
PJ64k is giving me a lot of trouble. I was running .24 fine (except for excessive ds) but a couple of weeks ago it simply stopped launching games (without giving any error messages). I switched to .28 which seems to crash every 20 minutes, and I can't get above 50fps online (offline gets 60fps) where I never had trouble on .24. Does any remotely stable build of this software exist, or is that simply not possible due to the lack of central development?

As far as the constant ds'ing (even with .24) I have no idea why it is happening. I get no network congestion, stable bandwidth, consistent pings of <60 on galaxy, and no dropped packets, yet I have never been able to go more than 10 minutes without a desynch. Again this suggests to me software instability, has anyone else been able to overcome this problem?

I would also like to note that I suffer none of these problems using mupen.

[EDIT]: Network testing was done using web100.

[EDIT2]: I got dandan's build working, but in kaillera whenever I enter a server the window doesn't actually open (it does show up properly in the taskbar, just no actual window), even after switching to a known working kaillera.dll.

[EDIT3]: I got all of the previous problems worked out (dandan's runs so much nicer than the smasherx version), but I can't see damage percentages. I think it is a plugin problem, but I guess it will just force me to get better at keeping track of them mentally (I don't want to try and fix it and break something else).

Sangoku

Smash Master
Same joystick movement.

The extra horizontal boost works a LITTLE with Ness if you're going forward (pretty much negligible), and a LOT if you're going backwards (Yoshi will turn around in his second jump so it's a moot point for him).

Also I don't really do nair chains with Ness. I find fair chains better and easier.
I felt Ness wouldn't go very far forward too. I never chain nairs either with Ness, which makes it complicated when I switch to Yoshi lol. How do you chain fairs btw? I simply slide from right c to down c to a with the joystick tilted forward.

Chickennugg

Smash Rookie
Smash moves with keyboard?

I use a keyboard to play SSB64 and I find it hard to do smash moves, often it will just do a basic upkick or rightkick when I try. does anyone else use a keyboard? and if so is there any special way you have found out to execute smahs moves and combos?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I usually play on controller, but I have played enough on keyboard to be not completely pathetic at it. I had the same issue when I first played on it. I find that you have to hit the direction key slightly before the attack button if you want to smash

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Depends on the keyboard and your settings. Some keyboards will let you smash by hitting them simultaneously.

Activating 'real N64 range' means you have to have a brief delay between pressing the direction and pressing A. Some keyboards will force this without that setting. Mine works with simultaneous presses.

Limaçon

Smash Apprentice
I have a new problem. When starting games sometimes everything works, but a lot of the time I don't send cheats even after reticking them in the cheats menu. Every few games I'm not hosting I also don't receive cheats and the game ds's immediately. Does anyone know a way around this?

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
I have a new problem. When starting games sometimes everything works, but a lot of the time I don't send cheats even after reticking them in the cheats menu. Every few games I'm not hosting I also don't receive cheats and the game ds's immediately. Does anyone know a way around this?
iv never ever had this problem before until just tonight. like it started out of nowhere and its pissing me off so much

RickySSB

Smash Ace
I use a keyboard to play SSB64 and I find it hard to do smash moves, often it will just do a basic upkick or rightkick when I try. does anyone else use a keyboard? and if so is there any special way you have found out to execute smahs moves and combos?
I use keyboard man And isn't hard.

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
I'm still climbing up the massive smash learning curve and i was just wondering how often players pull off finishing combos. I've been playing with captain falcon and have been trying to learn just some simple u-air combos, but i can't ever seem to pull off more than 1-2 u-airs after a grab / usmash. I seem to do grab/usmash into 1-2 u-airs all game and then finally finish the player off with a pivot fsmash / b-air once they are high enough %. Am i on the right track, or should my combos be going from low % to death the majority of the time?

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
With falcon if you play heavy chars on DL you should be able to 0-death pretty easily. Otherwise, even though falcons one of the easier chars to combo with, 0-deaths are not going to be a consistent in anyone's arsenal for a while.

The few people who DO 0-death consistently are pretty much just Malva and Boom.

I'd say you are on the right track, learn to adapt and use the best combo for what ever situation you may be in. One of the better things to do when comboing, is try to at least end it with your foe going off stage. Even if they dont die the edge guarding is another thing they'll have to overcome before you even have to worry about combos again.

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
ok thanks. Another problem i've had lately is being with being edgeguarded. I have a few friends i play on console pretty frequently and they edgeguard tons. For example, my friend will play mario / fox, spam projectiles on one side of hyrule until i approach, and then grab and toss me off the edge. I can normally beat them with characters like pika, who have good recovery, but when i play with falcon I constantly get edgeguarded and die at low %.

It's just so frustrating when I do a 0% to 90% combo, then they get 1 grab and spike me off. >.<

Whats the appropriate steps to take in order to beat this? I cant simply wait until they approach or we would probably wait for a long time. I have been getting better at sweet spotting and z-canceling my b-airs for a safer approach, but it's still an uphill battle

Top Bottom