• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Smash 64 Index THAT YOU OBVIOUSLY DIDN'T READ said:
Q: Why is Ness so low on the tier list?

A: Ness dropped because his DJC isn't broken due to bad aerial hitboxes, his approach is piddly due to the same reason, he has mediocre grab range and the attacks with passable hitboxes are the ones that don't see much use for one reason or another. Overshadowing all of this is the worst aspect: his recovery, which is absurdly predictable, slow and edgeguardable to a fault by anyone half-decent.

Q: Why is Jigglypuff so low on the tier list?

A: When it comes down to it, she has poor matchups against some of the worst characters in the game, which is why she has been dropped. The tier list was mathcrafted, and if you do poorly against even worse characters, you won't be high up. Jiggs certainly has good combos and the ability to 0-death a good majority of the cast, but she lacks a couple things. The first is range - her only notable attacks with range are N-Air and perhaps D-Air. Everything else, including her grab, U-Tilt and smashes, has either piddly or mediocre range, and as such her approach is limited.
Hyrule is one of the few stages not banned.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
You're welcome =)

Maybe you should play Smash 64 more to CATCH UP on the meta-game.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I have one of those adapters. It feels like it doesn't map out the range/deadzone right. I always have trouble doing fastfall uairs or trying to run, it likes to jump by itself sometimes lol.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Damn you, Nintendo. Outside of emulators is there an alternative to playing 4 players without any frame rate loss?

PS just ordered a Mayflash 2 port N64 to USB adapter on Amazon. Should come in the mail soon. Time to step up my game for Genesis.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I can't check in-game right now, could Yoshi jump OoS in 64? I'm assuming not, but I legitimately can't remember ever playing as or against Yoshi in 64.

Sangoku

Smash Master
What is OoS? Yoshi can double jump cancel and has a super armor while second jumping. That's the two features I can think of concerning yoshi's jumps.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Oos means out of shield.

If I remember right, Yoshi cannot if due to his odd shield. (Parry is the only exception of course as Yoshi can do basically anything out of a parry)

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Out of Shield. i.e. cancel your shield by jumping. I'm fairly certain you could in 64 in general, but in Melee and Brawl Yoshi is the only character who can't. I haven't been playing a lot of 64 lately, real life has been a *****.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Oos means out of shield.

If I remember right, Yoshi cannot if due to his odd shield. (Parry is the only exception of course as Yoshi can do basically anything out of a parry)
I'm sorry, I know we all forget things once in a while, or we all have bits of common knowledge we don't know, but the fact you are a Backroom member AND a Yoshi main, and you still didn't know that Yoshi can jump out of his shield, made me die a little lot on the inside.

Deep breaths, Star King, deep breaths.

EDIT: Also, Yoshi can't do "basically anything" out of a parry. He can only do what he can normally do out of a shield; jump, up-smash, grab, up-b, or drop through a platform.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Star King

Always calm

Except when people forget that Yoshi can shield jump in Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 64.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Anyone have EasyCap drivers (for Windows 7)? I switched computers and I can't find my install CD. That's why I haven't recorded anything lately.

I have a new combo idea I might try to record before I leave for the summer, so it would be for a good cause!

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
Does this happen a lot in online play? The game gets out of sync or something. My opponent will run off the stage and just attack mid air. He loses a stock and its 5 stocks to 4 stocks on my screen, but on his screen it is still 5 stocks to 5 stocks. Is there a way to prevent this?

Also Project64k closes itself ALL time time. I had to get a new n-rage driver and that helped. I had to get a new Glide64 driver and that helped.

Sangoku

Smash Master
The desynchronisations happen rather often if you're playing on server. Check the dedicated thread by JaimeHR (link in the smash index).

Concerning crashes I don't really know, it indeed also happens on a regular basis. Welcome to online is the only thing I can say I guess lol.

Battlecow

Play to Win
desynch is pretty bearable, for me it goes off like once every 5 games-ish and I just restart the match, takes like five seconds, no biggie. Kind of annoying, though.

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
Whats the fastest way that I can improve my smash skills?
I am at the point in smash we're I know what combos I should be doing but i just fail to connect them correctly, or i cant start them at the right percentages. I can play online, but most of the time my connection is weak and i feel i am better playing in training mode on my console. My main characters are pika and dk. I also started playing with falcon recently, since i heard that he was a good character to begin working with combos with.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Play against good players. If you want to stand a chance you'll have to learn how to chain combos quickly.

Otherwise, practise combos in training mode or against other people (doesn't matter if they're worse than you, you're practising combos). Most games involve techskill + knowledge + experience. Get techskill, learn how to apply techskill, play a lot to gain experience and you're there.

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
Play against good players. If you want to stand a chance you'll have to learn how to chain combos quickly.

Otherwise, practise combos in training mode or against other people (doesn't matter if they're worse than you, you're practising combos). Most games involve techskill + knowledge + experience. Get techskill, learn how to apply techskill, play a lot to gain experience and you're there.

Do you know of any good guides or videos for basic combos. Most videos online involve a lot of tech skill that I haven't mastered yet. Like for falcon/pika, are there any easy combos I can start with and then work my way up to the 0 to death ones? Just something simple like uair chains into upb or dair.

:phone:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Work on techskill first. You can do that by just doing basic Falcon combos...don't worry about failing.

64 isn't a game where you can just memorise BnB and do well. A certain number of U-Smash/Tilt (in Pika's case) leads to strings of U-Airs and finish with Up-B or D-Air (Falcon)/B-Air or N-Air or U-Air (Pika), but it's more experience and managing percentage than anything else. Experimenting in practice mode might be good for you - use Dreamland if you're using Pika/Falcon.

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
So I did the /lagstat and I average 150 lag spikes. Any advice on how to fix this? I am going to hit google up to see what can be done. My opponents always have like 5 while I am sitting here way high up.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Are you actually lagging, or just getting randomspikes? I assume you're lagging. If you're using wireless, get wired, if you still lag (assuming you're not doing dumb **** like downloading stuff in the background) get a better connection

Oh, and try playing offline; does your emulator still lag? If not, the problem is your connection rather than your computer.

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
Hey, i posted this in the Captain Falcon thread but thought it might get some extra attention here. I'm just wondering if anyone knows the percentages that Captain Falcon can F-Throw -> Falcon Punch on certain characters.

So far I know that Fthrow -> FalconPunch works on:
Fox @ 50-55%
Falcon @ ~45%
Link @ ~70%
Yoshi @ 42-48%

I read that it wont work on pika or kirby and possible not ness as well, im not sure though.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
I don't like when people claim to know the percentages for a f-throw falcon punch. Firstly there are defined percentages that would work in training mode, that is, offically link. But in game there are more percentages at which it would work because it is impossible to do anything out of f-throw because the hit-stun wears off too close to the punch.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I think they are talking about ingame connection. Otherwise the intervals would be tinier. Training mode connection would be 60-70 for falcon with a double jump. 50% and one jump doesn't connect.

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
Hey, i posted this in the Captain Falcon thread but thought it might get some extra attention here. I'm just wondering if anyone knows the percentages that Captain Falcon can F-Throw -> Falcon Punch on certain characters.

So far I know that Fthrow -> FalconPunch works on:
Fox @ 50-55%
Falcon @ ~45%
Link @ ~70%
Yoshi @ 42-48%

I read that it wont work on pika or kirby and possible not ness as well, im not sure though.
it works on all three of them

B Link

Smash Lord
2nd port for mayflash USB adapter barely works (i.e. stick is not sensitive, c buttons don't work). First port works fine. Anyone get this problem and know what causes it?

Top Bottom