• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
so, question. I was hardwired into my 16 meg connection earlier today, and tried playing online. My ping was 31, with 2 frames of delay, yet while playing it was insanely laggy, just ask killer and whomever else beat my ***. are these due to limitations of my computer? (the emu runs just fine offline, so I don't think it is)

Battlecow

Play to Win
so, question. I was hardwired into my 16 meg connection earlier today, and tried playing online. My ping was 31, with 2 frames of delay, yet while playing it was insanely laggy, just ask killer and whomever else beat my ***. are these due to limitations of my computer? (the emu runs just fine offline, so I don't think it is)
1. Are you sure it's you? Killer always lags a ton, so if you just played him, odds are it was him, not you.

2. Assuming it is you, running it fine offline means that the problem is with your connection, not your computer.

3. One way to fix it (maybe) is to spoof your ping up a bit; you should be using Ownasaurus' Kaillera client (link is in the Smash Index), and it allows you to mess with your ping. If you make your ping 35 instead of 31, you'll get three frames, which is lame because more delay but 3 frames is still pretty good and it might stop lagging. No promises.

4. Make sure you aren't running any programs, don't have any browsers open, and especially aren't downloading anything.

5. Make sure no one else is using your interwebs; if they are, tell them to GTFO because you have video games to play.

dandan

Smash Lord
of course your notebook's battery is going to last a lot longer than a laptop's, they are built differently. notebooks don't draw near as much as power as laptops.

ballin4life, did you let your battery die and then fully recharge it the first time you used it? if you didn't, that's probably why your battery life is so low.
not that it matters, since you never use the battery. neither do I in my laptop.
i meant laptop, which is sometimes called a notebook, as opposed to netbooks.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
notebooks are not the same thing as laptops. they aren't interchangeable terms.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Anyone wanna help me practice my DI?

it needs work, but i re-read antd's thread about it, and i realize my DI is awful.

Battlecow

Play to Win
DI helper would be the most boring job ever

just do random CPU matches and practice it, or play regular matches online, making sure to consider what direction you're doing carefully and really mashing that sum*****.

Or you could play King of Buttons or a similar game and practice dat mashin'.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
How the **** are you supposed to practice DI against CPUs? They don't combo or do much of anything really.

My DI is garbage because I don't play against people enough.

Battlecow

Play to Win
eh I didn't think that one through, you're right (although you can still kinda practice sometimes, it ain't great for it)

Point is, no one wants to sit there and do the same combo on you over and over so that you can learn to DI it.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I'll help you, Supa. I know how it is when you want to practice something that would be a lot more productive with two people.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
awww, thanks star. :D

anytime you're on kailera give me a shout-out, we can both practice our di too, unless you have hax di already.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Star King does nothing out of altruism.

Watch yourself, young Supa. One day, he will ask you for a favor in return.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
You practice DI while I practice my combos on you (with probably different DI effects at every try...) :p
Sound like a good/fun deal.
lol

Sangoku

Smash Master
Play against fox cpu and approach from above. Or simply play against samus (waiting for her upb). That's about the most useful things against cpus. I should really train DIing out of fox uair btw.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
^^I play cpu's when I get bored when I am in an area with bad internet.

I usually play against 3 level 9's (FFA) on Japanese smash 64 (as the AI seems better for some reason) and I try to get all 15 cpu kills (No suicides, no Tornado kills, it is harder than it seems. The Japanese Ness/Link CPU kill other CPU's quite often.

my main use of cpu's otherwise is to practice DJC combos or shield break combos.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
^^^ Turn "Team-Attack" off, for a better challenge.
:p

EDIT: When 3 against you that is. >__>

Peek~

Smash Lord
Does sharing Kaillera recordings actually work?

Can others see everything normally when they play it?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
it should work, seeing as they're just button sequences

just showing them as youtube vids is more convenient if all you want to do is share, but if you have problems encoding a vid or don't want to upload, it should be okay

Peek~

Smash Lord
Hmm cool, maybe Ill try it next time

Seeing players replies during the match should be fun, plus if you've seen everything on youtube and want more youve got the recordings

The Star King

Smash Hero
Player chat is recorded. I vaguely remember now, it was a recording involving Smasherx74. Anyways, you could see what they said.

IYM!

Smash Lord
hey i have a question

some time ago asianaussie did a post about japanese Smash 64, he said than Link is better there becaus he have a better recovery an arials.

well, this is true, he is more balanced there, and not only him, Samus have a better recovery too, and i find her charget shot stronger.

any way those things dont have much relevance with my question, just i want to give the thanks to asianaussie for tell me that about (J), i have a lot of fun now thanks man!!!!

OK, on topic, my question is, why is recomended the NTSC version in tournaments?
in (J) the low tiers characters are better, well kirby and Cfalcon are better too, but my point is, the low/bottom ones have more chance here.

maybe i am in a mistaken, but i dont lose anything with ask.

locopoke

Smash Rookie
On kaillera, how do you retrieve your video after you click the "Record game" option?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
OK, on topic, my question is, why is recomended the NTSC version in tournaments?
in (J) the low tiers characters are better, well kirby and Cfalcon are better too, but my point is, the low/bottom ones have more chance here.

maybe i am in a mistaken, but i dont lose anything with ask.
(J) is considered a completely separate game. There are different physics and enough differences to make it so certain skills don't really transfer over.

More than that, (J) version is very difficult to find a lot of copies for, and you want 3 or so setups running. While you could compensate with an emulator, it's simply an access issue, and it's best to either have all (J) or all (U).

I do find that (U) and (E) are somewhat interchangeable though.

Battlecow

Play to Win
The standard "J differences" thread says that samus remains almost completely unchanged. I don't think she gets charge shot or recovery buffs.

Top Bottom