• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to work on my platform game. If I want to do an aerial right above a platform and then fall through the platform and aerial, should I still be shield dropping? Maybe 'should' is the wrong word because I think technically there's no reason to not shield drop. So I guess my question is, is the extra complication of shield dropping versus just holding down worth it?

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
I'm trying to work on my platform game. If I want to do an aerial right above a platform and then fall through the platform and aerial, should I still be shield dropping? Maybe 'should' is the wrong word because I think technically there's no reason to not shield drop. So I guess my question is, is the extra complication of shield dropping versus just holding down worth it?
yes u should sheild drop

as u zcancel still hold z and tap down to incorporate both actions into one motion

rustyw

Smash Cadet
What Knitephox said. Look at this combo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUKIqnz6-4w&feature=youtu.be&t=34s

B Link

Smash Lord
Also, dash -> drop aerial is too slow, whereas dash -> shield drop aerial is fast.

In my experience, you should keep both of them as options and use both depending on the game situation.

Camaroqqq

Smash Rookie
Ok, so how does everyone do small jump + UAIR without wasting the second jump? I can do it sometimes, but whenever I'm excited I slam that up and waste the second jump every time. Is there a trick or do you just have to practice moving the joystick only 20% there? Same with utilt I am jumping a lot more than I should be trying to do it ...

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
practice moving the joystick only 20% there?
this

when i do sh uair dair with luigi, for instance, i sh -> input the dair -> immediately move the stick to uair position -> hit a to uair. really tilt that stick for sh uairs. for uair chains, though, i've taken to just using the control stick to jump the first time so i already have the direction in place and hit a, thus preventing the second jump from coming out. just practice sh uairs in matches constantly until it's second nature!

Camaroqqq

Smash Rookie
Wow so all these people are just that good at not pressing all the way up on the stick? Because it seems like there are 0% errors with accidently jumping... crazy

Ok and for Z cancel....
Sometimes I end up with a shield on and try to sprint and end up rolling. I'm guessing I hit z too late... BUT other times, especially if I land a hit, Z cancel doesn't work at all. For example pikachu landing a fair, do you NEED to hit Z the moment before hitting the ground but after you land the move? I always seem to miss z cancel in this situation...

clubbadubba

Smash Master
i've taken to just using the control stick to jump the first time so i already have the direction in place and hit a, thus preventing the second jump from coming out.
I do this almost every time with captain falcon, and I must say it is an awful habit. It is basically reducing your error in exchange for potentially worse combo's because in some situations you are better served with a button full hop. Its not that big of a deal, but both of us would be better if we stopped doing it lol. I'm going to start stopping that TODAY.

@camaroqqq, tilting the stick isn't all that hard. Once you get used to it you'll actually feel like you have a **** ton of room for error. As far as Zcancelling, if you shield after you land that means that you are holding down the z-button. All you need to do is tap it, then let go and you won't shield. With regards to z-cancelling when you land a hit (like during pika's fair), the only thing that matters is the number of frames between when you tap z and when you land. So you can tap z, land some more hits, and then land, and if the maximum number of frames haven't passed since you pressed z, you will z-cancel. The issue when you land hits is that it produces hitlag, which changes the timing for your landing. Usually you will be in the air longer if you hit someone, so you probably end up pressing it too early when that happens.

Camaroqqq

Smash Rookie
I do this almost every time with captain falcon, and I must say it is an awful habit. It is basically reducing your error in exchange for potentially worse combo's because in some situations you are better served with a button full hop. Its not that big of a deal, but both of us would be better if we stopped doing it lol. I'm going to start stopping that TODAY.
Should It really matter if you want a full jump anyway? I just cant small hop with my joystick...so only way is a c tap. I tend to use the joystick as the first jump for falcon when there is no need for a small hop.

But getting down the shop and uair without wasting second jump would help a lot...especially when landing a falcon throw with them at 0%

clubbadubba

Smash Master
A stick full hop and a button full hop are different heights. Stick is slightly higher. It doesn't matter in most cases, and probably doesn't make enough difference for you to worry about it yet. It can be the difference between a 100% combo and a death combo in certain situations though.

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
The real reason you want to shield drop is because it gives you a frame of invincibility.

Konotomoto

Banned via Warnings
letting me be a mod wouldn't have stopped that. I was the one who texted A$ because that **** was ridiculous. Even after asking him to stop he continued spamming every thread in the forum. I don't know if a perma ban was needed but he certainly broke enough rules earn one.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL DATBUTTHURT

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Wow so all these people are just that good at not pressing all the way up on the stick? Because it seems like there are 0% errors with accidently jumping... crazy

Ok and for Z cancel....
Sometimes I end up with a shield on and try to sprint and end up rolling. I'm guessing I hit z too late... BUT other times, especially if I land a hit, Z cancel doesn't work at all. For example pikachu landing a fair, do you NEED to hit Z the moment before hitting the ground but after you land the move? I always seem to miss z cancel in this situation...​
when i am gonna do a short hop uair i always buffer the joystick upwards before i even jump. when u push the joystick up right as u attack its easy to get excited and push too hard causing u to use your second jump, but when u push up BEFORE the c button jump its easy to push up the joystick slowly. BTW u dont need hold the joystick at 20%, as long as u push up slowly on it u wont jump. As for Z cancel, if u see that u actually hit your opponent that obviously messes up the timing for when to press Z so i usually rapidly press Z in this situation until u hit the groud, however that may cause your sheild to come out but its still a pretty decent solution until you have the timing down.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I don't aerial shield drop much because I mostly end up rolling or grabbing (hookshot kills me) and can't seem to improve on that.

So to my miserable tech skill, those 2 frames are almost irrelevant because my human lag is already high enough.

Sangoku

Smash Master
From The Thread Nobody Reads:

3.3.2 To perform a Uair without jumping, there are several cases.
---On keyboard, your only possibility (except from buffering) is pressing up and "A" on the exact same frame.
---On controller you have the following possibilies:
------ you buffer up.
------ you smash quick enough (full tilt between two frames), then it's a keyboard situation, ie 1 frame.
------ you don't smash quick enough (which is more reasonable) and then again there's two situations:
--------- you catch it half-way, meaning you're pressing "A" while your joystick is moving up, and the press corresponds to when your joystick is tilted from 20 to 53.
--------- at one frame, you're at <53 (ie no jump), then the next frame you've pushed to >53 AND pressed "A" at the same time. Then it's again a keyboard situation.
--------- you don't smash at all, but rather lightly tilt the joystick so it ends up getting in the wanted range (20-53) then press "A"

Concretely, on controller there are 3 options. Sometimes buffering is good (Mario bros. short hop double aerial is an example), otherwise, lightly tilt and catching half-way. The latter is probably better, because it can be faster.

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
- Stand on the top platform of DL
- Run off without jumping and do an upair so you land on a side platform
- Run off side platform and uair without jumping so you land on the ground
- Repeat

After you do this for awhile, you won't ever worry about wasting your second jump. You can also do this with dairs to break the habit of accidentally fastfalling.

Camaroqqq

Smash Rookie
From The Thread Nobody Reads:

3.3.2 To perform a Uair without jumping, there are several cases.
---On keyboard, your only possibility (except from buffering) is pressing up and "A" on the exact same frame.
---On controller you have the following possibilies:
------ you buffer up.
------ you smash quick enough (full tilt between two frames), then it's a keyboard situation, ie 1 frame.
------ you don't smash quick enough (which is more reasonable) and then again there's two situations:
--------- you catch it half-way, meaning you're pressing "A" while your joystick is moving up, and the press corresponds to when your joystick is tilted from 20 to 53.
--------- at one frame, you're at <53 (ie no jump), then the next frame you've pushed to >53 AND pressed "A" at the same time. Then it's again a keyboard situation.
--------- you don't smash at all, but rather lightly tilt the joystick so it ends up getting in the wanted range (20-53) then press "A"

Concretely, on controller there are 3 options. Sometimes buffering is good (Mario bros. short hop double aerial is an example), otherwise, lightly tilt and catching half-way. The latter is probably better, because it can be faster.
Thanks a bunch. You have a link to this thread? Seems like there is some good info there :)

- Repeat

After you do this for awhile, you won't ever worry about wasting your second jump. You can also do this with dairs to break the habit of accidentally fastfalling.
Good idea, I'll practice some... Just so easy to get excited in this game lol

clubbadubba

Smash Master
- Repeat

you are a genious. I need to do this ****.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i actually don't do it ALL of the time, i dunno why i worded it that way. but i do it for a running uair, for instance, more often than not. sh uairs i still use cdown, and occasionally i'll try for the control stick sh. shrug. if i could play these days i WOULD TRY. i'll see how my falcon game develops.

I don't aerial shield drop much because I mostly end up rolling or grabbing (hookshot kills me) and can't seem to improve on that.
no exaggeration that happens to me 90% of the time when i play online because of the delay. it's the absolutel worst. it only works if they jump into my grapple beam. then it's worth it. otherwise, FAAACK

Olikus

Smash Champion
so anyone here have any inside information on the national japan tourney this summer? like the date, and place for instance.

Sedda

Smash Champion
Usually you will be in the air longer if you hit someone, so you probably end up pressing it too early when that happens.
Do you guys tap Z twice a lot if you're not sure an aerial is going to hit or do you just adjust your timing by reaction every time?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Does anyone have the hitbox gifs for pikachu's uair and bair? I'd greatly appreciate posting them.
here you go: http://smashboards.com/threads/character-hitboxes-new-table-format.276826/page-13

Do you guys tap Z twice a lot if you're not sure an aerial is going to hit or do you just adjust your timing by reaction every time?
Idk, man. The only time I'm actively thinking about the z-cancel is when I fair chain with Ness, and I hope it goes away lol.
And I hit Z multiple times with Link's Dair and because that bouncing **** is hard.
But the rest is automatic. I just press it once at the right time.

Top Bottom