• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
It would suck though if shield were really good ... I mean they're called fighting games not blocking games. Also it is lame how in Melee/Brawl shield breaks basically never happen.
Also obligatory "shield is good if you know how to use it"
Actually, I would say that the reason why shield breaks in melee rarely occur is due to shield poking being so prevalent and the fact that you honestly have to aim your shield vs certain moves. I mean I know this is a bottom tier character but take a look at Game and Watch's shield and a few others. They are ridiculously bad, I mean a full GaW shield (normal, not light shield) does not cover his entire body.

In terms of brawl, it is probably due to shield stun and how slow characters are. The only character I ever see shield break in tournaments when i used to play brawl were Snake and Peach (+ the random shield break marth.) Snake specifically due to f-tilt and grenade having massive shield stun) and Peach due to d-air/glide toss turnip pressure

If shields properly well shielded like in 64, I could image shield breaks being pretty common in melee, at least in spacies matches.

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
[URL='http://smashboards.com/members/ballin4life.134689/' said:
ballin4life[/URL]]It would suck though if shield were really good ... I mean they're called fighting games not blocking games. Also it is lame how in Melee/Brawl shield breaks basically never happen.

That's true. 64's shield is on a pretty significant level of terrible, though, and one of the things that aggravates the problem is how broken almost everybody's throws are. Brawl shield is stupidly good as the opposite extreme. Melee's shield always feels a little chunky to me, but that's the game that probably balances it best. 64 is just...don't block, or you will be shield stun for the next 30 seconds and unable to do anything.

Exaggeration, yeah, but hopping over attacks or just outright running away is pretty much always the superior option.

And speaking of shield pokes, what a broken mechanic. I get hit by stuff where there must have been about a pixel of me poking out of the shield. If the brunt of an attack hits your shield, can you still get poked by it if part of it continues going and hit outside the shield, or something? That's what it feels like sometimes.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
In terms of shield pokes/shield stab (I have heard either term,) if there is a 2nd hit/multiple hits, yes. See Peach's d-smash in melee or Metaknight's tornado for great examples of that (and by great I mean broken as something that rhymes with truck)
You also might see fancier Marths/Roys in brawl/melee go for it with dancing blade, usually being the downward hit at the end. marth's d-tilt works well as well. Game and Watch's b-air, Peach's d-air in barlw, and IC's blizzard are also good examples
In 64. The only move I have ever really shield poked with is Yoshi's d-air and Kirby's u-tilt, mostly since they let go of their shield to prevent shield breaks. Quite useful.

fMaster

Smash Cadet
I know the thread says to read all, so this question may have been asked. I am currently in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. What is the closest Server that I can play online?

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I have serious trouble with link vs. jigy. I can only manage to do 2 hit combos ending with upb (which i always rely on) and find myself getting cornered and 0-death comboed. I got lucky one match because this player kept missing with rest and sleep.
What do I do in this matchup?

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I have serious trouble with link vs. jigy. I can only manage to do 2 hit combos ending with upb (which i always rely on) and find myself getting cornered and 0-death comboed. I got lucky one match because this player kept missing with rest and sleep.
What do I do in this matchup?
Camp with bombs and boomerangs. If a bomb hits up close, a f-air, d-air, or u-air can be followed up depending on where the opponent goes/how high a percent. Don't rely on up b combos as if you miss one you will probably lose a life (and don't grab too often as it also has massive lag.) I think Link's u-air also works vs. Jigglypuff's d-air. If Jigglypuff gets close, don't use laggy moves. Maybe n-air or b-air depending on where Jiggs is. Use d-air if Jiggs is really close but be careful as in certain weird circumstances, it can be punish.
I personally love this matchup, one of my favorites as Link. Most of my kills are bomb to f-air or boomerang to f-air btw.

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
can anyone explain why my online recorded matches desync sometimes when i watch the playback?
Well, it could have something to do with lag messing up the inputs. When they're desynched are they like that from the beginning? If not, it might be a plugin thing—sometimes the plugins you're using online aren't the ones you'll see loaded if you just start up the ROM offline (I think).

asianaussie

Smash Hero
b-air is so good against impatient jiggs players, can almost singlehandedly win you the matchup until they twig to it

that's when you start throwing things

Timotheus

Smash Journeyman
Well, it could have something to do with lag messing up the inputs. When they're desynched are they like that from the beginning? If not, it might be a plugin thing—sometimes the plugins you're using online aren't the ones you'll see loaded if you just start up the ROM offline (I think).
it randomly occurs in the middle of the playback like in online play. i'll check the plugin thing. thanks!

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I need to a website to order a N64 Mini Hori Pad from. To be shipped to England.
Besides the UK Ebay, what are the videogame sites that sell stuff? I never bought videogame stuff online so I have no idea.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Yo I am thinking about stopping maining Ness (again) cause he is pretty bad, but I don't want to sell out and main Pika, Kirby, Falcon (the trifecta of easy/boring)

So I am caught between Fox and Yoshi, I am leaning towards Yoshi, but before I pour oodles of hours into Yoshi I need to know if the character is viable against the top/high tier so I don't end up wasting my time. Is he?

Are there any good Yoshis other than Sheer?

Is Yoshi "shut out" if your opponent knows how to play against him?

Does Yoshi have big Kirby/Falcon problems? (my theory crafting suggests so)

Who are the model Foxes? (Other than Isai)

mixa

Banned via Warnings
[...] but before I pour oodles of hours into Yoshi I need to know if the character is viable against the top/high tier so I don't end up wasting my time. Is he?
Strong characters.
Weak characters.
That is only the selfish percepction of people.
Truly skilled players should try to win with their favorites.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
Truly skilled players should try to win with their favorites.
this

think about it this way: jousuke is what, one of the top players in japan, and plays samus. isai got second place with link. theory crafting is just theory. it's better to just play who you like.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Don't listen to Han Solo ****ing everybody plays Fox, play Yoshi

cobr that's a Pokemon quote so it might not be serious lol, just saying

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
ARE YOU SAYING POKEMON ISN'T SERIOUS?

brb playing red yellow and silver for the rest of the night.

still, statement stands.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
In answer to one of your questions, ballin is the model Fox I think. He does everything pretty well. For top play, watch boom vs jaime apex 2013 game 2.

Also, don't listen to Starry King, play both like he does, and see who you like better. You might like the djc stuff Yoshi has because you main Ness (although lots of the timing is different).

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
Jaime probably shows the most effective way to play a conservative fox.

Sensei, Ballin, and Boom are who I would watch to get a good idea of how to utilize most of fox's moveset, learn most of his textbook combos, and between the 4 of all of them you can really see how versatile fox is in most situations.

and of course

watch han solo for dem shines

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I've been having a lot of fun with Yoshi lately. He might edge Ness as my new favorite now.

Disclaimer: only been playing against CPUs while watching TV

For Fox I feel like I learned a lot from Sheer's Fox, especially for lasering. Dunno if there are good videos of his Fox online though.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Does anyone actually main luigi? Are there any good luigi players?

(Isai doesn't count.)

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
I need to a website to order a N64 Mini Hori Pad from. To be shipped to England.
Besides the UK Ebay, what are the videogame sites that sell stuff? I never bought videogame stuff online so I have no idea.
Since they were only made in Japan your best bet is to use Japanese auction websites.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
When you're at 0%, and Yoshi starts to do combos starting with fair. Also, when you're mid-combo and Yoshi does dash attack to fair off the ledge.
Its pretty situational, and its really a mind game in itself in the middle of the game. I like to DI behind Yoshi when I get faired until they catch on, then you can mix it up. But again, depends on the situation. I'd say definitely go right or left, because up or down doesn't yield much success in my experience.

If you get faired off the ledge, you di towards the stage in almost every scenario I can think of. You might be lucky enough to di back onto the stage if you are high/close enough, or you might get a bounce off of the stage which at low percents can give you a chance to recover.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Does anyone actually main luigi? Are there any good luigi players?

(Isai doesn't count.)
NTA won a offline tourney with good players, while playing luigi. So I guess its one of his mains. Ruoka used luigi at apex. Secondary but still pretty good. TANK and killer have mean luigis allso Even though its not their main.

Battlecow

Play to Win
ebay works pretty good for horis

but don't check for another couple days K I'm about to get some at hilariously low prices

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Since they were only made in Japan your best bet is to use Japanese auction websites.
have you got any websites to recommend?

ebay works pretty good for horis

but don't check for another couple days K I'm about to get some at hilariously low prices
1880 yen (out of stock) is pretty hilarious, I guess. but I found nothing unusual on Ebay, all around 60 bucks.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
So maybe it was cause we were using a TV that had slight discoloration, but I think the brown Mario may be really tough to see at Congo besides dark falcon, Samus, and DK.
I didn't notice or think of it until I was loosing sight of him mid fight on the stage. Anybody else notice this?

mixa

Banned via Warnings
keyboarders, how do you DI diagonals?
when DIing, say, down+away, do you alternate hits on the down and away key? or you hold down while mashing away?
do you ever use 3 directions?

Sangoku

Smash Master
In theory, you want to input only two directions, distant by 90° with the direction you want to DI to right in the middle. So upper left should be: alternate between up and left as fast as you can. I can't tell you which way is more efficient though. As I said in another thread, this is the best distance per input you can have, not the best input per time (that depends on the player).

If you want to DI down, it's the same principle: you want two directions distant by 90°. In that case, down left and down right. I guess holding down while alternating left and right could work.

If you hit a wall do you get out of hitstun sooner? In the little hut, I have seen many times where someone bounces off a wall directly into an aerial to get out of their death combo.

Top Bottom