• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Here's mine anyway:

1. Kirby
2. Jiggs
3. Pikachu
4-5. Luigi and Mario
6. Yoshi
7. Samus
8. DK
9. Fox
10. C. Falcon
11. Link
12. Ness

asianaussie

Smash Hero
How is Pika not on top? He has about a billion options for recovering, and you can even react to what the opponent is doing midway.

imo, Yoshi is next because of hax superarmor, then Mario because Up-B is surprisingly versatile (or Kirby and Jiggs when recovering high).

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
My opinion (with some situational instances)

1. Pikachu
2. Kirby if he can reach the stage without up-B
3. Jigglypuff when recovering from high up
4. Mario
5. Yoshi
6. Luigi
7. Samus
8. Jigglypuff when recovering from the side (mid distance)
9. DK
10. Fox
11. Falcon
12. Kirby when he must use up-B
13. Link
14. Ness
15. Jigglypuff when recovering from full distance

asianaussie

Smash Hero
DK > Samus, methinks.

The priority on that move is pretty big, plus you can stall momentarily or choose to rush ahead, and very few moves have both duration and disjointedness to counter both *coughPika'sF-Smashcough*. If you recover high, few characters can reliable knock you straight back. That applies to most characters though.

Luigi has a good recovery since it's cloned like Mario's :p and Kirby should take 2nd while Jiggs takes 3rd since they have the highest air speed with 5-mid air jumps but Pikachu is just so broken, he has lots of options to recover -_-

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Is it my imagination, or can the height of Falcon's up-B be altered (like Mario's/Luigi's)?
If you keep both buttons pressed (up direction) you can reach a little bit more vertically, im pretty sure of it... and when you grab someone with the up+b, you go even more up.

Luigi > Yoshi's recovery. Yoshi's super-armor can be pwned by just grabbing again. Luigi's has insane range.

Also, I think Samus recovery is very good if you are smart. Being floaty, she has a lot of options and can dodge or block incoming attacks and come back due to her high priority fair and up+b

TOP TIER
1. Pikachu
2. Mario

HIGH TIER
3. Luigi
4. Samus
5. Kirby

MID TIER
6. Yoshi
7. Jigglypuff
8. DK

LOW TIER
9/10. Falcon/Fox

BOTTOM TIER
11. Ness
12. Link

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Luigi has a good recovery since it's cloned like Mario's :p
Not true. Luigi doesn't have good fireballs to spam when coming back and his Up-B has virtually no defensive merit. His tornado has surprisingly little priority and makes you vulnerable when it's over, so you can almost forget about surprising them at the ledge with that. In terms of defensive recovery, I'd say even Link is better than him.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Not true. Luigi doesn't have good fireballs to spam when coming back and his Up-B has virtually no defensive merit. His tornado has surprisingly little priority and makes you vulnerable when it's over, so you can almost forget about surprising them at the ledge with that. In terms of defensive recovery, I'd say even Link is better than him.
Luigi's fireballs are clearly worse, but that doesnt mean they are useless. You have to time them well and position them well and you can have a good defense.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I never said they were useless, I just said he lacked Mario-esque fireballs. All I was saying is that the recovery aspect (and the aerial speed/jump height) is probably the one of the biggest points of difference between Mario and Luigi, and it can't really be described as 'cloned'.

It's actually pretty easy to edgeguard DK's recovery, just n-air with Link the move stops then Link recovers back to the stage. About the Link guide of yours cheeseball I don't see a Ness video.

D

Deleted member

Joke *** recovery list since Fox's recovery is great when you recover high

Yoshi's if you have a brain you will usually make it back, if you are getting ***** you might be humping the edge too much

if you are at the point where you might get smacked hard and pushed back a little bit you can DI really hard and still get the edge

Jigglypuffs is often excellent so since when you are smacked hard and survive Jigglypuff will be very high and difficult to kill her

Falcon you can kind of trick them but you don't have the aerial manuerability of Fox's horizontal speed

you can't do a tricky fox angle from below and Fox dash attacking over and over again will **** Falcon

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Oh, so it's outdated :( well I still find it helpful
It's been a couple weeks...it's not outdated. I think every recent 'guide' was turned into a discussion thread. I'm still glad somebody got some use out of the OP guide.

Which reminds me, people should use the character discussion threads. Somebody index them in the appropriate thread. I'll even do the writing for them, so they can just C+P it, since this place needs a cleanup...

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
You know, if I didn't try to change the subject...

Who do you guys think has the second best recovery (after Pikachu)? I think so far we've had Kirby, Mario, Puff, and Yoshi mentioned as possible candidates. I would say Mario is the second best due to using fireballs to make edgeguarding much harder.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
wouldnt be kirby due to lack of priority in its up-b otherwise good vertical and horizonal recovory. might be yoshi but once hes out of armour hes too vunerable, although he can use b-down when saving vertically to sweetspot. might be puff due to the ability to fastfall mindgames, high priority attack (b) which also moves her forward and multiple jumps. very bad vertical height though. i would also say mario is the 2nd best, due the fireballs, tornado (mindgame sweetspots and massive vertical and horizontal recovory) and a hugh high priority up-b which is fairly easy to sweetspot.

DMoogle

A$
Definitely not Puff. Her's is similar to Kirby's, but the biggest difference is that her attacks don't have nearly the range and priority that Kirby's does to defend against the edgeguarder. I really disagree with Yoshi too; if you mess up and get caught without a second jump on land anywhere near a ledge (which is everywhere on Dreamland), you're dead. Plus the super armor loses its effect at higher percents, and his ledge-to-land options aren't that great either. That doesn't even factor in the fact that he's extremely likely to take some percent almost every time he has to recover at all. Kirby vs. Mario is close. I think I recover a lot better with Kirby, but I feel like Mario's has more potential.

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
It's hard to make an accurate list. Everyone has pros and cons about their recoveries. Though, no doubt, Pikachu has the best recovery, followed by Kirby or Mario. The worse recoveries are Link and Ness. All the others are pretty hard to decide.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Kirby and Puff recoveries are great on high height, but they suck on low height. Mario's recovery is good on both low and high height.

D

Deleted member

Definitely not Puff. Her's is similar to Kirby's, but the biggest difference is that her attacks don't have nearly the range and priority that Kirby's does to defend against the edgeguarder. I really disagree with Yoshi too; if you mess up and get caught without a second jump on land anywhere near a ledge (which is everywhere on Dreamland), you're dead. Plus the super armor loses its effect at higher percents, and his ledge-to-land options aren't that great either. That doesn't even factor in the fact that he's extremely likely to take some percent almost every time he has to recover at all. Kirby vs. Mario is close. I think I recover a lot better with Kirby, but I feel like Mario's has more potential.
Jigglypuff hit hard and surviving will be super high and you can rising pounds and crap, very hard to smack her and pounds give her good horizontal movement while keeping her high. If Jigglypuff gets smacked hard again and survives she can just pound her way back

Kirby's problem is that kirby doesn't move sideways as good and if Kirby gets smacked hard there's often no coming back. If Kirby is forced to use up-b then any smart guy will smack Kirby off

smart players with a brain can gauge when to attack and not to attack with Yoshi. If you factor a character's recovery by only common mistakes of noobs or severe accidents then theoretically every recovery is horrible

and taking percent is worth it if you live, can't say that for a lot of other characters

Mario's recovery is decent but highly counterable. The thing is a lot of people don't know how to deal with it that well. You can trade most spikes with it and get single coined while they get spiked to death if you hit them with the correct timing. Stuff like Fox's down-tilt works good too. You can run off and up-air with Falcon and horizontal spike them off the stage if they hump the stage while up-bing

Skrlx

Smash Champion
i hate how i went from watching that vid to 10 other vids through related videos.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Am I the only one who sucks at recovering with Yoshi? If I come up against the edge they grab me, and if I go further back, they wait for my jump to end, hit me right after, and I'm done. I'm only succesful when I'm close to the edge already.

And Near, you're not as bad as me. I would have spent a few hours watching related videos (but for that video, I already saw the related vids). I get majorly addicted to Youtube.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who sucks at recovering with Yoshi? If I come up against the edge they grab me, and if I go further back, they wait for my jump to end, hit me right after, and I'm done. I'm only succesful when I'm close to the edge already.

And Near, you're not as bad as me. I would have spent a few hours watching related videos (but for that video, I already saw the related vids). I get majorly addicted to Youtube.
fair when ur coming for a save that you have a bit of extra distance to land - high priority and good range. fastfall can be used too but b-down helps more on vertical saves.

edit: random question. i was practicing djcs on training mode and i relised u can move backwards at a fair speed while nairing. does this mean backwards sheild breakers? :O

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
fair when ur coming for a save that you have a bit of extra distance to land - high priority and good range. fastfall can be used too but b-down helps more on vertical saves.

edit: random question. i was practicing djcs on training mode and i relised u can move backwards at a fair speed while nairing. does this mean backwards sheild breakers? :O
that's exactly what it means. i'm pretty sure i've seen sheer pull it off quite often

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Backwards shield breakers don't seem any harder than forward ones. But then again I'm fairly certain I've played Yoshi infinitely more than anyone else on here has over the past 4 years. Anyway heres a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh_o8mh8Gpk

@ 3:18

Upsmash is a better shieldbreaker than downsmash anyway so backwards shield breakers are prolly even more effective.

Top Bottom