• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Well I can't test things out anymore as my wii stopped working about 20 minutes ago... *insert suicidal death of preference*

I have no idea what happened to earlier today at like 3 P.M. my game froze for like 5 seconds after a wifi match but I didn't pay it any attention because I was just about to turn it off and when I wanted to play it at around 9 P.M. which is like 30 minutes ago the same thing happened and then a green screen came up saying Error eject and turn off the power then check the Wii users manual or something like that. Now it doesn't read any Wii or gamecube games. The good thing is I got a 2 year warranty when I bought it but the bad thing is that I have to wait for some sort of box to arrive at my house (which will be in 5-7 buisness days so that means at least 7-9 days) then ship it out to some place that they told me would be on the box.

This really sucks too because I was trying to organize my own tournaments and I think I found a pretty good location but now I'm screwed. once again *insert suicidal death of preference*

Guilhe

Smash Ace
So, I went and tested the whole cast aerial and ground release traveling distance. This is what I found out:

• Ankoku grab release proprieties are true! See them here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187615

• Most of the cast doesn’t slide far enough to escape the jab combo first hit but, they can perfect shield the first hit in time so this is not a true combo. Still very useful though

• Just Wario can be hit during his aerial release (and I still have not tasted that in humans), so we’re not going to score any more cheap kills out of or grabs. Good. Cheap kills will get no sympathy from me.

Now my attention turns back to the tech duck propriety from the Jump Canceled Usmash. It seems a very viable approach against projectile spammers.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
well, projectile spammers? Only if they short hop. But yea, i love its ducking power. Slide under the person while they short hop w/e over you, as long its not a dair/huge hitbox, and profit. I find myself using it against Diddy Side B spammers the most though.

comboking

Smash Master
what exactly do you mean

countering a returning Ike

i do not do it but I have considered learning it
I will use it soon

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
no no no, i mean, when you're on the ledge, you get off the ledge and counter. I've only seen Marth's do it, but why don't any Ikes do it? It's pretty nice sometimes.

you simply ledge jump and counter right away. its a good thing to exploit when you know your foe is gonna attack you.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
I don't think so, if you know well your opponent's recovery strategies you can time your counter efficiently. Oh wait... using counter FOR recovery?

MysticKenji

Smash Master
no no no, i mean, when you're on the ledge, you get off the ledge and counter. I've only seen Marth's do it, but why don't any Ikes do it? It's pretty nice sometimes.

you simply ledge jump and counter right away. its a good thing to exploit when you know your foe is gonna attack you.
I don't think Ike's counter would be fast enough...I'll give it try when I can though.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
no using Counter from the ledge. But countering recoveries is good to do to on some characters.

I use counter and it works sometimes, depends on what the person does.

and by Kirk's counter video, Counter is only 2 frames slower than bair, i believe bair is 8 frames right?

comboking

Smash Master
if i am recovering and i know they are going to attack I counter and it works

Bottom line. It does work pretty well

noobslayer

Smash Apprentice
if i am recovering and i know they are going to attack I counter and it works

Bottom line. It does work pretty well
He meant countering other character's recoveries - a lot of the time it's very hard to hit some characters during their Up-B, but Countering it gives you a good chance of retaliation + safety from their very predictable recovery 'attack'.

XZA143

Smash Journeyman
counter can be used in a lot of ways lol, very useful anti-recovery

I'll have to try that. I've been trying to test countering their attack when their recovering from the ledge.
Nice avatar also. Love that series;)

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
So, one thing I've been noticing on other boards was a character match up thread with individual character match up discussions going on weekly or so.

Looking at this board I see that we have a detailed Snake match up in Arturito_Burrito's W.I.F.H. thread and some in the "I write for my friends" guide but nothing more. We all know that Ike has bad match up's but we have no details to them and I was thinking something like this could be organized, it would not be hard to set up(I'd be willing to if no one wants to) and it would help this board.

So what is everyone's opinion on this?

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
My match up thread might go into to much detail. I end up getting lazy at points but I think I'll finish up falco soon lol. I actually hoping that Timmay opens up his match up thread again because some people even got mad at him because of how great a job he was doing.

as for the ledge hop to counter thing I can see it working on bowser DK and DDD because there up b recoveries are pretty predictable if done from far away. Others may take a little pratice but have the same effects.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I discovered Ike has ONE ok combo.

At 30% (for Mario), you can do a fullhopped D-air, and if you connect, then you can double jump into a B-air, and it COMBOS for 30% more damage.

You can autocancel B-air from a SH, you can autocancel F-air from a full hop. D-air and B-air complete in a full hop allowing double jumped aerial follow ups.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
On a tall heavy like ganondorf. You can basically do a free 41 if you land it starting from 0 by doing full hop down air into double jump down air then land an up tilt afterwards. After that you have until I think 58 before ganondorf pops up too high to land a full hop down air into double jumped back air, then until like 65 you can do down air into nair.

Infern Angelis

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8ccma_5w0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB0W3fS1rmA

rest of the set. After I saw you beat OS I had to look for the rest.
Thanks, last time he had not uploaded them all yet. I think i idd pretty good even though i lost (suicides) lol

On a tall heavy like ganondorf. You can basically do a free 41 if you land it starting from 0 by doing full hop down air into double jump down air then land an up tilt afterwards. After that you have until I think 58 before ganondorf pops up too high to land a full hop down air into double jumped back air, then until like 65 you can do down air into nair.
One of u guys should post a video of this combo

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Ok gentleman, what about we choose one of our various incomplete matchup guides and continue or discussion? I just posted a Luigi matchup on the W.I.F.H. matchup guide.

XZA143

Smash Journeyman
Your pretty good. Great matches, I liked how you placed the f-smashes.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Ok gentleman, what about we choose one of our various incomplete matchup guides and continue or discussion? I just posted a Luigi matchup on the W.I.F.H. matchup guide.
Thx for that I need to hurry up and finish falco but a lot of stuff have come up. I'm going to have to update the first 2 sections as well though since the SBR stage list came out and I'm missing a good bit of stages (some which I have no pratice in) so giving advice on those would be helpful.

As for all the vids that people just decided to upload while I was gone I'll get around to it sometime, still working on doubles and other stuff for the videos, school starts tomorrow so it might be a while.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Sorry if this was mentioned before, but I feel that for some of the older match-up videos should be updated; some are when the game first game out, so the metagame (for both Ike and the opponent's character) did not have time to evolve. The point of having a match-up video archive is to provide visual examples of how to deal with the current playstyle; because of this, I propose that the following videos be replaced.

As a disclaimer, I really think this is one of the best threads we have here at the Ike boards; massive kudos to Arturito_Burrito. I just want to suggest some improvements that I think will make it even better.

1) The Diddy in the Ike vs. Diddy video didn't even throw a banana and died twice because of sloppy edgehog attempts.

2) Both Ike vs. G&W videos are actually Ike vs. Snake videos.

3) The players in the Ike vs. Ganondorf videos (2Dios and Shin) look mediocre compared to the Ike and Ganondorf players of today.

4) The D3 in both of the Ike vs. D3 videos doesn't follow the current metagame for D3; yes, it is a video of Silven, but in any Ike vs. D3 fight there is going to be chaingrabbing by D3, which this video lacks.

5) The first Ike vs. Link video; yes, it's Kirk, but Shadow Moses Island (1) does not have edges to show how bad Link's recovery is and (2) is banned from tournaments; the same goes for the second Ike vs. Link video - Eldin Bridge is also a banned stage. In the third video, Another Side has a pretty good Link considering how old the video is; however, a good Link will be sure to utilize ZAir, which is why I believe this video should also be replaced.

I didn't watch all of the matches, so there may be more that I didn't find. Again, these are just suggestions.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I'm not saying all of my vids are perfect examples of matchups at all but please check them out in case you want some decent/good ones, the people I play arent exactly slouches in the slightest. If nothing else it can fill up the gaping hole in footage for fox and give some recent videos of older matchup stuff.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Sorry guys like I said in the post above I got a lot of things going on. If anyone competent (which are most of the frequent posters in this thread) want to go ahead and post a few videos in match up format I'll add those.

As for the oldness well its a library we need history records. Maybe in a few years we can go lol look how much Ike used to suck and now hes banned from tournies because we owned so much. *crosses fingers* *feeds stereotype of character boards being in denial*

How ever I can assure you that I will finish this before November because I'll be getting my 1st tournament footage then and I want to put my self up there =p.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Might as well put it here, too. Two of the kills are a perfect demonstration of why Eruption is a platinum edgeguard move (especially at low damages)

Me vs. Some Dumb Level 9 Captain Falcon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7n19CfaLaQ

Dumb Captain Falcon is right! Still, you play Ike as he should be played, in any case. You might consider using Quick Draw to move around a bit and attempt some Air Draws, especially against CF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom