• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

As a Smasher.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Remember SSB64?
How about Melee?
And of course don't forget about Brawl.

This game series Super Smash Bros. Is unique, it is different, like Guilty Gear, and possibly Soul Cal..
I have been a avid Smasher since SSB64 and I like what has been going around. I'm going to make this clear, I like Melee the best out of the Trio, but still, Smash is Smash.
I also do martial arts, 21 in-fact.

The thing is when I go to practice my Tae Kwon Do, and I go into compititons, People look at me and say,"Wow! That's cool", or "He must be really skilled".
And I can say yes! This is because I have a passion for Tae-Kwon-Do, or Savate, and heck even Judo.
I take pride in being able to do the atheletic things That I can preform.

And yet, when I go and pick up the gamecube controller, and turn Brawl on.
What happens?
<Nerd>
That's what happens, and guess what?
That is bull.

I am writing various of these in different fourms whether it be Smashboards, or Uncommonfourm, or even B3ta.

I'm spreading my thoughts, because it is true.

When I play smash, or do martial arts, climb trees, swim, and even sailing, I take pride in what I do and no matter if it is different from other skills do I count one thing more than another, because it is all who I am.

So now hopefully you all read the beginning I will start on my rant.

As a Smasher

I take pride in being a great smasher, and I cannot say that I have not changed by this game.
The game was very interesting because unlike most games, Smash was very technical and the definition of newb and pro could be vastly listed, a newb could never beat a veteran smasher because of all of the techniques that must be induced to the game play that makes a good smasher. DI, Shffl'ing, Wavedashing. was all techniques that made the game unique, fast paced and very complicated, to the point that a lot of people could not play Smash.

But for those who could untap the true potential of these techniques, they would strive to the top.

This changed me, it made me think deeper into life, making me want to find the hidden 'techniques' in life itself, I became much more tolerant, I found myself indulged in information such as books and articals that had intresting point and theories.
Smash had made me want to go and dwelve deeper into life.

Now for the first question.

Question #1: Is it bad that I became a better person because of a game?
Is it pathetic?

Post your response.

More to come.

Zeldasalsa

Smash Cadet
ooohh.... a smasher and a philosopher. very interesting combination.

gaming does indeed help you with life, but it hinders your health.

jakeadactyl

Smash Apprentice
yeah, i drive like i play smash. perfect spacing, without a lot of aggression. i wait to see what others do, then react.

not to sound weird, but on this note, i've always considered game characters my friends. especially my pokemon, i really do love them! i love them like i love irl friends. and now I'LL get flamed. i don't care though. that much at least.

and mother and earthbound have shaped my life more than i can ever describe, without the mother series, there is no jake-adactyl

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
yea, it is kinda weird that a video game would actually help you become a better person in the real world, but I do not believe it's bad as long as it's not anything negative, then I think it acceptable to think it's right

znintendotaku

Smash Journeyman
yea, it is kinda weird that a video game would actually help you become a better person in the real world, but I do not believe it's bad as long as it's not anything negative, then I think it acceptable to think it's right
could you repeat this better...i dont understand what you mean :(

Wakaremas sem

jakeadactyl

Smash Apprentice
its a shame that this thread (one of the few with potential) has been reduced to this znintendotaku guy just being an ***... once again. i can't understand why he feels the need to polute the boards with useless posts, or why he decided to do so here, and its funny that he has the gall to say "inb4lock' because i've never seen a thread of his open for more than a few hours

PDawgy

Smash Journeyman
well for me smash has ruined my life my wife my son all have been killed because of me, all because of some stupid game I regret the day I bought this game I can still rember the blood, the horror the horror....I spelt verything wrong huh? yeah I'm nopt looking at the keyboArd, I'm just looking on the screen lololololol

PDawgy

Smash Journeyman
its a shame that this thread (one of the few with potential) has been reduced to this znintendotaku guy just being an ***... once again. i can't understand why he feels the need to polute the boards with useless posts, or why he decided to do so here, and its funny that he has the gall to say "inb4lock' because i've never seen a thread of his open for more than a few hours
leave my homeboy alone yur just jealous cuz his super sexy :bee::bee::bee::bee::bee:

jakeadactyl

Smash Apprentice
its times like these where i wish i was a mod...

i'd be a good one! a little over the top, and a little dangerous to have as a mod, but nonetheless, a good one.

i'm excited for more questions to be posted! like i said, this thread actually has potential!

PDawgy

Smash Journeyman
its times like these where i wish i was a mod...

i'd be a good one! a little over the top, and a little dangerous to have as a mod, but nonetheless, a good one.

i'm excited for more questions to be posted! like i said, this thread actually has potential!
I think you're taking yourself and the forums way too seriously, remember this forums are about a fun game. Just a game, we are not talking of politics, world crisis, etc. So just chillax, this is the smash world forums we are here to have fun.

Iron Thorn

Smash Lord
Going to Gamelon. I'm taking the Triforce of Spag
Original poster, you're a nerd, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Otaku, you're a spammer, which is a bad thing.

Oh topic, Smash helped introduce me to the internets, and since much of my beliefs are influenced by stuff I've read on the internets, it had impacted me.

It also is a favorite within my group of friends, and it's kind of a bonding activity.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Gaming has introduced me to a lot of people and ideas that I would never have been exposed to otherwise, so I'd have to say it's a good thing.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Gaming has been a replacement for books for me in many ways.

Somehow, that doesn't sound healthy. Also, I probably play Smash too much, as it doesn't have a long enough story line to convey any for of lessons that warrent the 200+ hour power play time. In Brawl alone. I think I exceded 4000 matches in melee easily.

mzink*

Smash Ace
If video games have helped you grow as a person, that's great. I don't see it as pathetic in any way. People learn from all kinds of things, if it has a positive affect on your life then it is a benefit to you. Smash has also affected my mentality in the way you describe.

MaxThunder

PM Support
not to sound weird, but on this note, i've always considered game characters my friends. especially my pokemon, i really do love them!
i too like my pokemon... or i should say liked... my pokemon game broke... i actually cried a little when it happened... oh my poor ampharos=( it DIEEEEEEEEED=(=(...

uhm... back to the topic...

i think games are something you should do whith friends=)... in onlinr games you should get some friends online to play whith if you dont play whith other friends... and games like smash you should play whith... friends=)... i play whith Judofyr... though i think we played a little to much the third day after the release of brawl... i was dissy at the end of the day.... that's not good... first time in my whole life that i have noticed that i have played too much...

but games does indeed ruin your health... so you gotta do domething else too... like... martial arts=)... dont ask me what kind of martial arts i'm doing... i just train by myself teaching myself all the stuff... i train whith wooden swords too=)=) like a ninja=) whith wooden weapons=|... that cant kill anyone=/... um... basically thats it...

oh! and Judofyr does... well judo... thats where the name comes from...

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
in b4 lock
dude...your picture is the cookie monster..........
oh...funny pic tho :) ;) :) :0 :p
what? i said your pic is funnie :/
could you repeat this better...i dont understand what you mean :(

Wakaremas sem
grrr duck off....... JK hahaha
All you do is spam threads? Quit it.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Well, For those who posted good things. I salute you.
But for the others..... Stop posting on this thread, you are wasting your time, and pissing people off, which this thread was to do the exact opposite.

Keep the intellegence rollin', poeple.

Iron Thorn

Smash Lord
Going to Gamelon. I'm taking the Triforce of Spag
*sigh* We've got plenty of youth, tell Ponce de Leon to go look for a Fountain of Smart.

Anyway, as an artist, I am easily distracted by pretty pictures, and I think Smash has helped me with my artist's eye, not to mention inspired many pictures. Right now I'm working on portraits of my mains.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
As a Smasher: Part 2

I left off with a question, this was mainly to add discussion towards the thread. I like the results so far, keep it up.

As a Smasher: Part 2

When I pick up the controller, I know one thing, and that is to show my best in smash, whether I do good or bad, I feel that the time I am playing I will only do my very best.
This additude shows a lot about myself, such as, If I am devoting my time to do something, wether a game or job, I will show my best at it and that I believe a time of not trying is a time wasted.

Some people may ask," why?".
"Why would I devote utter attention to a silly game?"

My answer is that even though it is a game, it take a different skill, not physically but mentally, and that I may not be losing carbs. but does it still make Smashing any less worthy of trying?

I believe not, I play my best and devote time praticing and getting better because it is a skill, it takes timing, perception, and intellegence to play smash, and though it is a game check this information out....

I did a study.
While engaged in reading or making an essay the information the brain is sync'ing is increase a little over 1.9X to 2.2X than the output of a brain in a calm "unmoving"* phase.
This shows that as we read or apply work towards a job, our brain is adapting and learning and has focus.

When playing Smash the output of brainwaves move up to 1.6X to 2.2X than the amount of a unmoving brain.

This data is not the most accurate but for the most part, true, as the brain is focus on a specific task it works at the same level as reading or doing something "Productive", as my dad likes to call it.

Yet, if the mind is being used and applied with same amount of work, that must mean that the brain is still sync'ing as being used to a degree that is just as productive as reading, therefore is just as challenging as reading and can in fact increase intellegence.

This can refute the claim that reading is better then Smashing.
Don't get me wrong I like books, and that Smashing can't teach you things books can, but Smashing can apply a different skill just like a book can.

A lot people look at Smashing and think that it is usless that it premotes on good attributes but to direct a stick and press buttons. Yet, when they look at a pro tennis player they some times envy them?

Why? Just because it is atheletic?
What about Chess? Isn't that a non-atheletic thing that involves skill?
Well, I'll tell you something, Smash takes just as much skill applied as Chess, or Tennis.

So for the next question.

Question #2:What makes Smash less of a skill then anything else? And what can we potentially learn from it?

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Wow brawl makes your brain work that much :O that is awesome!! Though really to answer your question... there isn't. Playing video games takes just as much skill as soccer and basketball the only diffrence is it uses a lot more of one muscle then another.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
Gaming is a skill just like any other. It takes time and practice to get good at it and isn't something someone is born with. The only difference is that some skills require physical strength while others require more of your brain.

acv

Smash Journeyman
brawl ruins my life.i classify my friends in tier lists and i always come home drunk from too many falcon punches.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Well, do you see that there is a fine line of stupidity and truth?
This thread is to show people that open mindness is the key, spreading the understanding that a game can be influance a great deal, and that Smash doesn't have to "Be-Just-A-Game", that we can learn from anything.

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
Remember SSB64?
How about Melee?
And of course don't forget about Brawl.

This game series Super Smash Bros. Is unique, it is different, like Guilty Gear, and possibly Soul Cal..
I have been a avid Smasher since SSB64 and I like what has been going around. I'm going to make this clear, I like Melee the best out of the Trio, but still, Smash is Smash.
I also do martial arts, 21 in-fact.

The thing is when I go to practice my Tae Kwon Do, and I go into compititons, People look at me and say,"Wow! That's cool", or "He must be really skilled".
And I can say yes! This is because I have a passion for Tae-Kwon-Do, or Savate, and heck even Judo.
I take pride in being able to do the atheletic things That I can preform.

And yet, when I go and pick up the gamecube controller, and turn Brawl on.
What happens?
<Nerd>
That's what happens, and guess what?
That is bull.

I am writing various of these in different fourms whether it be Smashboards, or Uncommonfourm, or even B3ta.

I'm spreading my thoughts, because it is true.

When I play smash, or do martial arts, climb trees, swim, and even sailing, I take pride in what I do and no matter if it is different from other skills do I count one thing more than another, because it is all who I am.

So now hopefully you all read the beginning I will start on my rant.

As a Smasher

I take pride in being a great smasher, and I cannot say that I have not changed by this game.
The game was very interesting because unlike most games, Smash was very technical and the definition of newb and pro could be vastly listed, a newb could never beat a veteran smasher because of all of the techniques that must be induced to the game play that makes a good smasher. DI, Shffl'ing, Wavedashing. was all techniques that made the game unique, fast paced and very complicated, to the point that a lot of people could not play Smash.

But for those who could untap the true potential of these techniques, they would strive to the top.

This changed me, it made me think deeper into life, making me want to find the hidden 'techniques' in life itself, I became much more tolerant, I found myself indulged in information such as books and articals that had intresting point and theories.
Smash had made me want to go and dwelve deeping into life.

Now for the first question.

Question #1: Is it bad that I became a better person because of a game?
Is it pathetic?

Post your response.

More to come.
The funny thing about this post is that I don't know if the author realizes how self-indulgent he's made this sound.

I know you've moved on, but to answer this question; No, it isn't bad that you've became a better person because of a game. Your life's experiences are constantly altering the way you look at the world, whether it be winning the Nobel prize or simply talking to fellow Smashers on a forum. As an individual, your views/attitudes are constantly changing and being changed by the interactions you've had with the rest of the world, no matter how big or how small.

I guess what I'm trying to say is; just because it's a game doesn't mean it can't make a positive/negative change in your life. What's really important is how you react to that change.

Stelfe

Smash Apprentice
yeah, i drive like i play smash. perfect spacing, without a lot of aggression. i wait to see what others do, then react.

not to sound weird, but on this note, i've always considered game characters my friends. especially my pokemon, i really do love them! i love them like i love irl friends. and now I'LL get flamed. i don't care though. that much at least.

and mother and earthbound have shaped my life more than i can ever describe, without the mother series, there is no jake-adactyl
You drive like you play smash? So that means you do some mindgames on the road, and trick them into doing something they didn't want to? Oh, and also sending them towards the "hazards"?

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
God, if I drove like I played Smash, I'd probably hit someone, or end up entering an exit lane so to speak. Actually, I did both those things in one day, so meh. The driver that can be stupid but avoid the outcomes usually.

But actually being on-topic Smash obviously helps us all hone in on our reflexes, but it's so much more than that. Skill at Smash involved tearing off the norm and exploring everything that could be had in the game, people found out wavedashing, hitboxes, things that we consider bare basics now. The debug menu, to my understanding at least, really helped with this. Skill in Smash helps you find things you don't expect, and then you learn from those surprises. When the shck wears off it becomes mundane, something you don't even think of when you're puling an AT off.

I think skill in Smash helps one learn to adapt, and it also helps a lot with foresight. When you're up against an opponent, you're full of knowledge about any ATs at their disposal, whether character-specific or generalized. You need to know everything about your own character, and react resposnsibly using the advantages you have-if any, concerning some matches--and predict what's coming next so you can dodge, DI, or outprioritze the attack (if possible). It's just as respectable as any other skill, though it's nice to have other hobbies as well.

Top Bottom