• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

armada made me want to pick up peach

Younger people have better reaction times and learn easier. It's science! :bee:

Seriously, the top 3 at Genesis had like... less than 50 years between them.

And to really play Peach well, you have to be a kid at heart. ;)
I just think younger kids haven't learned the bad habits older people learned so they learn easier.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
Haha all your sets are under 2:30. Fast, indeed. :psycho:
lmao whoops

ive definitely played 3 games in under 2 30 tho lolol
everyone i play says i need to stop suiciding so much because i usually get 2 a match

scar told me something havnig to do with all my suicides once that made me mad happy but ill keep it to myself

JFox

Smash Hero
In case you havent read this yet

For the past three months, one of the main buzzwords for Smash players around the world has been "Genesis." This wildly successful tournament was the talk of the town for Smash players before it began, and prompted even more discussion afterward.

Not only did gamers from coast to coast in the United States make the trek to attend this momentous event, but even gamers from overseas made the pilgrimage. One such participant is Adam Lindgren, a visitor from Sweden that made a gigantic impact at this competition. Adam (known by the gamer tag of "Armada") is 16 years old and the fifth child in a family of eleven kids. Unsurprisingly, he loves video games, and is into football... that is to say, the kick-kick kind, not the tackle-tackle kind. We sat down with Adam in order to get his thoughts on the tournament, as well as his trip to America and the Smash community in general. Special thanks to his brother Aniolas for providing interpretation for this interview.

Smashboards: Describe your experience arriving in the United States for a Smash Bros. tournament. Was this an exciting experience?

Armada: It really was an exciting experience indeed. I had never played against the US top players before. But I felt prepared. After all, I have attended tournaments for 4 years here.

Smashboards: How big of an impact do you think you made competing at Genesis? Do you like the attention you've received since then?

Armada: In my opinion, U.S. players have always underestimated European ones, so it was fun to make it across the pond and prove that we, too know how to play Smash.

Smashboards: How much different do you feel the competitive environment was in Genesis than locally?

Armada: There are more good players in the United States, and the scene is so much bigger. But I think that the top players from Europe would give the top players from the States a good match.

Smashboards: All told, how much money did it cost to make the trip to Genesis?

Armada: The flight cost a little more than 1300 dollars. Then BART, bus, and things like that cost maybe 50 dollars total.

Smashboards: How long have you been gaming competitively? And how much time have you spent playing the Smash Bros. games specifically?

Armada: My first tournament was the Swedish Nintendo Championships 2003, and my first Smash Bros. tournament was RoS, hosted by Helios, in 2005.

Smashboards: There has been a constant on-going debate on whether Meta Knight should be allowed in tournament play. What is your region’s stance on this? And do you personally agree with it?

Armada: Brawl isn't played as much in Europe as it is in the States. Maybe that's why don't just have MKs in the top. At any rate, there's no one talking about banning MK here, and I'm fine with that.

Smashboards: Where do you feel the metagame of Brawl will go from here? Do you foresee certain characters being used more in the near future?

Armada: I guess we will see more Ice Climbers in the future. That's my only guess for now.

Smashboards: Who do you feel were some of the stand-out performers at Genesis?

Armada: I was really surprised that Zhu got that far. I had heard about him before I came to Genesis, and thought he was top 20 in the US, but he still impressed me quite a bit. The other one that really stepped up was Hungrybox, I don't think anyone would guess that he would get 3rd.

Smashboards: One question that people always want to know the answer to is what sort of mindset the big winners have going into tournaments. What sorts of things do you think about as you prepare to compete?

Armada: I tell myself that I will win. The other guy may be good, but he won't beat me. The second you doubt yourself and think you'll lose, you'll lose. Believe in yourself.

Smashboards: As a follow-up, what general advice would you give to gamers new to the competitive scene?

Armada: Stick to one character and practice until you really master that character. It's better to be good with one character than not-so-good with several. Try to play against different people, and against all characters so you learn how to play in a certain matchup.

Smashboards: How do you feel about online Smash Bros? Do you play online much?

Armada: Don't like it at all, it lags too much for me. Like the idea, but I don't play it.

Smashboards: What other games (if any) do you like to play competitively now?

Armada: SSB64... ohh, and Mario Party. Awesome game to have tournament in!

Smashboards: Do you feel you’ll probably come back to America for another major Smash tournament?

Armada: Yeah, I'll come to Pound 4, if I and my brother can get housing. Otherwise, I won't be able to afford it.

Smashboards: And finally, if you were faced with a horde of zombies, what weapon would you use to fight them all off? Style factor is a major grading point, here.

Armada: I would pull up a stitchface and combo them like I did with Mango.

~

BrianTheLion

Smash Journeyman
armada made u want to play peach in brawl i think hes an amazing melee peach player but i think he plays shiek in brawl. but idk

Quaz

Smash Master
armada made u want to play peach in brawl i think hes an amazing melee peach player but i think he plays shiek in brawl. but idk
yeah bro he posted it in the melee forums for a reason.

Smashboards: And finally, if you were faced with a horde of zombies, what weapon would you use to fight them all off? Style factor is a major grading point, here.

Armada: I would pull up a stitchface and combo them like I did with Mango.
LOL too good. I love Armada more than ever now.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Don't be a follower, be a leader. Pick your favorite character.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
i do lol

picking up a character doesnt mean anything

i still play my falcon cuz it *****

peach is just fun, and intresting because of how lame her dj is

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
man, trying out armada's efficient playstyle REALLY helped out my peach game. i learned a lot from just dash attacking, fair, dsmash, turnip and using a lot of priority

rather than trying to play technical with nair pressure and stuff, sometimes its just better to be gay!

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think Cort once said

"All you really need to do with Peach is space Fair and float back sometimes"

Or something to that effect.

I think Armada's shown that you also need to D-smash and Dash Attack too, and then you're good.

Being gay is always the best strategy but it's not conducive to making the internet think you're good, which is apparently more important than money and actually being good.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I think Cort once said

"All you really need to do with Peach is space Fair and float back sometimes"

Or something to that effect.

I think Armada's shown that you also need to D-smash and Dash Attack too, and then you're good.

Being gay is always the best strategy but it's not conducive to making the internet think you're good, which is apparently more important than money and actually being good.
KK always joking. :laugh:

I wish I could uthrow > dash attack > uair like Adam. It's so beautiful.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
wow
thats so easy lmao

ive done some pretty beast combos with peach like no lie
if you play peach like falcon it *****
spacies are so fun to combo

everyone should up air spacies when the get on platforms, its just leads to ****

Samochan

Smash Master
if they crouch cancel it you just do another one
Uair? <_< Nu-uh. If you fc an uair, they cc it and might ven drop down on yoru face with dair or dsmash cause your head is up there lol. If you manage to get one, you might not be able to combo as effectively if you were to full jump uair instead.

Believe me, peki knows those anti-peach combo tricks well, too well. ~_~

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
im talking about a sh uair on a lower platform
ive done this like a million times
what usually happens is, i upthrow or something
they fall down on the platform and tech straight up, then i short up air
they crouch cancel, do a get up attack and i get another up air

Samochan

Smash Master
im talking about a sh uair on a lower platform
ive done this like a million times
what usually happens is, i upthrow or something
they fall down on the platform and tech straight up, then i short up air
they crouch cancel, do a get up attack and i get another up air
If they fall down after the uair, they have a fair bit of % under their belt already then, nair/fair on that occasion would sent them in very low angle and into edgeguard position cause they cc'ed it while unable to stay in one place. But yea, if they always get up attack, then it would be too easy to punish them. Falco and fox however only have 6 frames of vulnerability after they do a standing tech before they can already move. Also if they tech away from where you are moving to, it makes it all the more difficult to land a hit on them. Not forgetting a simple rise up, timed right, can avoid that uair alltogether.

Top Bottom