• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arkansas Smashers Chat

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
should i go casual style or technical style for saturday?
That sounds like "Should I try?"

If you want to win, play the way that makes you win more at this moment. If you want to use this as learning/super experience, make the appropriate decision.

DUUUUH

memk

Smash Cadet
NNID
memk1213
That sounds like "Should I try?"

If you want to win, play the way that makes you win more at this moment. If you want to use this as learning/super experience, make the appropriate decision.

DUUUUH
but when i play casual i lose

when i play technical i win (recall the time it was me, arby, yohsi, and chamb. I was all alone with 1 life you both(arby, chamb) had three altogether and i won :awesome::awesome:)

I don't take that as you all's full potential.

chamberlin

Smash Ace
I tend to play to win and only take on a new tech skill if I think it is useful and vital to my play style. For example, I had to learn shine-turnaround-bair because I needed to cover more options whenever I would jump off the ledge to gimp/edgeguard. Another is I also needed a quick option to get Fox on the ledge, so I opted for something I saw M2K do, which was the dropdown-shine-turnaround-jump-firefox. As far as Fox tech skill is concerned, I'm still only mostly concerned with getting the basics polished and making sure I'm making good options in certain situations.

The next tech skill thing I need to implement is probably upsmash out of shield. Even though simply shield grabbing->uthrow is still an amazing option, there are times when I can simply kill someone immediately with upsmash instead thus making it a better option.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I tend to play to win and only take on a new tech skill if I think it is useful and vital to my play style. For example, I had to learn shine-turnaround-bair because I needed to cover more options whenever I would jump off the ledge to gimp/edgeguard. Another is I also needed a quick option to get Fox on the ledge, so I opted for something I saw M2K do, which was the dropdown-shine-turnaround-jump-firefox. As far as Fox tech skill is concerned, I'm still only mostly concerned with getting the basics polished and making sure I'm making good options in certain situations.

The next tech skill thing I need to implement is probably upsmash out of shield. Even though simply shield grabbing->uthrow is still an amazing option, there are times when I can simply kill someone immediately with upsmash instead thus making it a better option.
Clay's motto is if it ain't broke don't fix it. I.E - If I'm not losing, don't worry about being innovative. It's just recently that he realized that the rest of Arkansas isn't sitting still, so he's being forced out of his comfort zone, and he's having to actually improve. Isn't it crazy?

Me on the other hand, I'm always trying new things and trying to be creative. Honestly it really pays off though. Because I don't see things as Clay does, with an " A ~> B ~> C" method, and if that doesn't work I'll go to " D ~> E ~> F" I'm not limited to "B" after "A." It's more of a different mindset approach to smash. For instance, like Clay said, upthrow uair with fox is an amazing option, but sometimes you may be near a platform, and after you upthrow you may jump on the platform allowing them to think the uair is coming, then you'll land on the platform and bair or nair them after baiting the double jump.

I hope at least some of that makes sense. And I'm not making fun of Clay in this post or trying to make him sound ridiculous. He simply has a more "plan" based playstyle than me, and I'm trying to show the difference. Besides, he still wins more of the matches between us two.

Edit* What's happening this Saturday? And what times?

chamberlin

Smash Ace
like Clay said, upthrow uair with fox is an amazing option, but sometimes you may be near a platform, and after you upthrow you may jump on the platform allowing them to think the uair is coming, then you'll land on the platform and bair or nair them after baiting the double jump.
I was careful to not add the "uair" part of the statement because there are a billion things that can happen after an upthrow. Usually if there is a platform around when I upthrow, I look for them to either tech on the platform, bounce or lay on the platform in some way while in hitstun, or look for them to avoid the platform and use a jump (in which case what you said is a great option). I am still however a great supporter of the upthrow->uair though, because it is AMAZING lol.

Also, Smash N Thrash is this Saturday. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=107217302691116

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I was careful to not add the "uair" part of the statement because there are a billion things that can happen after an upthrow. Usually if there is a platform around when I upthrow, I look for them to either tech on the platform, bounce or lay on the platform in some way while in hitstun, or look for them to avoid the platform and use a jump (in which case what you said is a great option). I am still however a great supporter of the upthrow->uair though, because it is AMAZING lol.

Also, Smash N Thrash is this Saturday. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=107217302691116
I thought VTS/Arby and the rest of the guys are going to be going to some big tourney...like Event 52 or something.

And Clay aren't you going to be out of town as well going to Haiti? Am I going to be the only one here able to go? I hope the melee tourney is early, cuz I gotta go to a birthday dinner and stuff for a good friend of mine at 7:00 PM

memk

Smash Cadet
NNID
memk1213
I thought VTS/Arby and the rest of the guys are going to be going to some big tourney...like Event 52 or something.

And Clay aren't you going to be out of town as well going to Haiti? Am I going to be the only one here able to go? I hope the melee tourney is early, cuz I gotta go to a birthday dinner and stuff for a good friend of mine at 7:00 PM
THX FOR ADVICE :)

G.vice they are suppose to be going thats the plan (at least thats what vts said) Im going as well. Also I was told yoshiman might go.

smash n thrash is actually within biking distance of my place

chamberlin

Smash Ace
I don't leave for Haiti until the 25th. I am curious as to who's showing up at Smash N Thrash though. There are a ton of people on the "Attending" and "Maybe Attending" list that I've never heard of. There are actually quite a few posts on the wall as well. It might actually be a good turnout. Lately the Smash community of Arkansas has been surprising me with all the random new people learning not only Brawl but Melee.

memk

Smash Cadet
NNID
memk1213
I don't leave for Haiti until the 25th. I am curious as to who's showing up at Smash N Thrash though. There are a ton of people on the "Attending" and "Maybe Attending" list that I've never heard of. There are actually quite a few posts on the wall as well. It might actually be a good turnout. Lately the Smash community of Arkansas has been surprising me with all the random new people learning not only Brawl but Melee.
the new people look tough but looks can be deceiving.

So this might be easy.

I'm also bringing one buddy and maybe a second (both suck compared to the "real competition" of arkansas)

one quick question: Whats the easiest way to shine -> Bair

Vts

Smash Champion

we called off event 52, would get off work at 10pm drive 8 hours play tournament then leave drive another 8 hours back for work on sunday.

so smash n thrash instead

idk if i'm running it or just going to attend, i might be forceful and say i'm running it lol

but my IC suck now and always will, now i'm a boozer main!
in friendlies never serious matches

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Jump out of shine with control stick and bair with c-stick at the same time. If you want to practice, ask someone to DI in so you know if speed is your problem.

Like VTS said, if they keep DI'ing away so it doesn't work, just do a bair instead and you'll probably catch some bad DI and punish them for denying you your fun.

*that bowser is alright, but you should retire the ganondorf. just the worst thing ever.
**except our amazing double ganon team. as long as we don't run into level 9 ganon... !

memk

Smash Cadet
NNID
memk1213
Jump out of shine with control stick and bair with c-stick at the same time. If you want to practice, ask someone to DI in so you know if speed is your problem.

Like VTS said, if they keep DI'ing away so it doesn't work, just do a bair instead and you'll probably catch some bad DI and punish them for denying you your fun.

*that bowser is alright, but you should retire the ganondorf. just the worst thing ever.
**except our amazing double ganon team. as long as we don't run into level 9 ganon... !
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I was doing shine rush over to X back to back A

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
What is this, actual melee discussion. I can't have this.

... time to go practice

Here are the results for the fun time and work we put into that essay.

Hi William,

When preparing your portfolio, I expect you to review page 199 in your book, clarify your thesis and partition, limit the narration, and work on a precise organization for the arguments against piracy and moe. Read all of these comments carefully.

I know you can do much better work.

30% Prewriting (Homework items 45, 46, 47, 49, 50, & 51) must be completed and relate to the topic of the revised essay submitted for this assignment.
Your points = 20 I am glad you went back to the prewriting assignments and updated them to your new topic. You would have written a more effective argument if you had developed a full thesis statement as required for Homework 45 and a more detailed paragraph plan for Homework 50. I have given you credit for Homework 51, the draft essay, but I am taking points off here for not submitting it in time to receive comments and prepare revisions.

30% The topic and content must fit the assignment. This persuasive essay must include all the elements of the classical form of argument. The essay must be 4 1/2 to 5 pages long.
Your points = 25 Piracy and moe are controversial issues. The source is fine. Your narration is long, and the thesis, partition, confirmation, and refutation are limited. The conclusion is very good. These problems could have been avoided with careful prewriting, or repaired in a revision. Carefully revise your entry for the portfolio.

30% The essay should be complete and well organized so the reader can easily follow your argument from the beginning to the conclusion without getting confused.
Your points = 25 You give excellent background information, but way too much. As I cautioned you in the Learning Modules, the narration should be limited, even for a unfamiliar or complex topic. Your first line describes anime just fine. You don’t need to go on about cartoons for this argument. Moe and the issue of subtitling should be explained early and briefly. Don’t leave your reader wondering what moe is until the end. Focus on your arguments. Concisely list the points you will make about moe and piracy, then use the bulk of the essay to confirm and refute the points in the same order as you present them in the partition.

10% Typos, spelling, grammar, and formatting.
Your points = 7 You have a few errors and wording issues that can be caught with careful proofreading. Watch out for the misuse of single quotes. Review the information I’ve given you about MLA essay format, MLA in-text citations, and MLA works cited. There should be four lines in the identification block. Don’t insert any extra blank lines. Since you use a web-based source, check each of the eight items listed in the MLA Works Cited document from the Week 14 Learning Module. Also, note that the in-text citation parenthetical entry should tie to the works cited list.

Total points = 77

You could have easily written an A essay if you had dedicated time to keeping up with the class. aka worked by myself writing about something I don't care about and finished it in 5 hours, thanks guys...
Anyway, I still get an A for the semester. lolz

Regards,

Ms. Henthorn
I don't own a book for this class, so I don't know what all those page numbers mean :/

Vts

Smash Champion
i think we have a money match going on or more along the lines of betting

yoshiman vs memk seif has either $5-$20 on yoshiman winning

no one has taken memk's side but arby might

Vts

Smash Champion
to rich for my blood, unless this is done after the tournament where i might have won some money then maybe

you should so u lose and then get the money :D

then MM seif and win again and rub it in his face of taking all his money

Top Bottom