• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arguments against IC chaingrab banning/limiting

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Just don't worry about the ban. He's trying to earn some money from the scrubs who go to them, and you're scaring them away. Personally, I don't blame him. It's not like it's a serious tournament or something like that.

In other words, don't use the cg. You'll likely win without it.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
IC's on par with MK? If only that was true lol.

Nintendogs

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for all the support guys, but I left out one part... he had actually banned the chaingrabs in the finals when I was facing a spammy snake. He announced the news right in the middle of our brawl! I then miserably lost the match, and next lost the match against ANOTHER snake in the losers finals.

I also found out some more things about what happened... the guy that convinced the Play n trade TO to ban the chaingrabs WAS A TO OF THE ONLY OTHER LOCAL TOURNEY! So now I have pretty much no tournies to go to. (I live in Southern California, where lots of tournies are, but unfortunately I cant go anywhere more than 45 min away due to parents :(

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Is it possible to limit the percentage to 40%-50% for the IC chaingrabs, making it fair?

I saw a blog about this in AiB and I'm wondering... t.t

blakinola

Constantly Delicious
I don't mind being chaingrabbed. I remember playing Meep at Cot4 with DK in pools and it came down to the last game. I got grabbed--I did what I could to get out but it really is futile. Against such a skilled player like meep it's hard to avoid being grabbed. But I did take a game off him.

Their grab range is HORRENDOUS. If you get grabbed--you deserve it. Space and stall...when they're separated then the matchup becomes a lot easier to deal with. Everyone makes mistakes--and not every grab was zero to death. If the CG was as rampant as the whorenado--i'd say something. But if someone wants to limit it--make it around 50 damage or something.

What bothers me about one of the CG's is dthrow -> nana fair. Why the **** can't that **** be teched. If that wasn't in there, I'd be fine with the way things are. You don't even bounce. You just stay there.

/johns

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
What bothers me about one of the CG's is dthrow -> nana fair. Why the **** can't that **** be teched. If that wasn't in there, I'd be fine with the way things are. You don't even bounce. You just stay there.

/johns
At low percents you can't tech Nana's F-air. Assuming you were grabbed at 0%, this property only lasts for one or two F-airs (I think it varies slightly by character), after which the move becomes a tech-able meteor smash.

Sky`

Smash Lord
Desynching in General should be banned MUCH before CGing.
Seeing as it's much more broken. X]

J1NG

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgsCQA_FC48

DSF is NOT a scrub. IF you notice, DSF is trying to space. It's harder than it sounds to not get grabbed once while the IC's are together.

Any player can learn to wobble. When you wobble, all other characters become Ganondorf against a normal char.

Technologikall

Smash Apprentice
Nice list. I especially like number 1.

But number 4 is really weak IMO.
Imagine that IC CG would be broken (which they are not). That if you land a CG you auto kill, even at 0%.
But, it requires the avarage person to practice for 1000 hours. Should it be allowed? I think not. Who is waiting for a broken teechnique that only a few people know? It would still be broken and destroy the game when used, no matter how much time has been put into learning it.

Ice Climbers can be counterpicked by stage. No matter what, every Ice Climber user that want's to do well (even Lain the SO FAR best IC User) requires a secondary for game 2/3. It is impossible to win a set against someone that knows what they are doing if u go full ICs.
It's not. The neutrals are pretty good for IC's, so at worst they have to fight one out of three matches in abad stage.

Omniturtle

Smash Rookie
Ice Climbers do a RE-grab, NOT a chaingrab. Huge difference. If the subsequent grabs occur before the knockback of the previous throw takes effect, this is a RE-grab, NOT a chaingrab.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Actually sir, the knockback DOES occur before the grab connects. It's just very very brief.

The person getting Chain Grabbed has to go into the Knockback Phase before they can be grabbed again. The IC's are not grabbing them before they move period, trust me the other character does travel a distance with Knockback induced.

Roxas M

Smash Master
play n trade tournies are gay in general. i almost got DQ'd in 1 of their tournaments for using lucario and using force palm 2 times in a row on a DDD. that is VERY escape-able and they banned it while i did it. lol

like everyone else said. the play n trade TO's want the money.

paying scrub customers that complain about losing> IC main that does what IC's normally do.

Firestormzero0

Smash Ace
Nice list. I especially like number 1.

But number 4 is really weak IMO.
Imagine that IC CG would be broken (which they are not). That if you land a CG you auto kill, even at 0%.
But, it requires the avarage person to practice for 1000 hours. Should it be allowed? I think not. Who is waiting for a broken teechnique that only a few people know? It would still be broken and destroy the game when used, no matter how much time has been put into learning it.
unless you learn not to get grabbed. u should take those 1000 hours and learn not to get grabbed when going against IC's. not our fault that ppl dont wanna go through that extra bit of training. i play against people all the time that is really good at not getting grabbed. so IC's are beatable. simple as that.

PANTSMAGEE

Smash Apprentice
Desynching in General should be banned MUCH before CGing.
Seeing as it's much more broken. X]
???

2v1 sounds fair though, unlike 1v1 THAT is just rigged.
And why is it so hard to not get grabbed(you should try/be avoiding all attacks anyway against anyone, so this includes CGs for the ICs)?

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Wait I'm in so Cal too. When do they hold tournaments at Play N Trade? Please tell me because a bunch of us here in SoCal need a tournament scene to go to

Rockan

Smash Apprentice
that's the only thing they have it takes them the whole game to get a set up for a grab

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
Also, Screaming wins vs ICs.
lol this is too funny and I'll do it if I ever get cg'd in a tourney. With that being said, I suggest telling him that all characters in brawl can be ghey, but only show him the examples that can actually happen. As in stage stall with sonic, pick MK and nado someone real quick then glide around for the rest of the match, plank with Marf or MK, do DK's invinicbility glitch on YI over and over (would only work on a scrub), MK infinite cape (if its not banned), show him a vid of pika's QA lock, or D3's wall infinite. You have a lot of ammo that could reverse this decision but I would highly reccommend against the "MK is easy to learn" argument, its a bit played out and not all too true. Also agree to a damage limit since IC can kill anyone at 300%.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
there was only one mistake I saw, The footstool to ice-block infinites are not escapable if you get the footstool off. On heay characters like snake it is impossible to DI out of the chain grab so the foot stool will be gotten off.

Other then that those are really good arguments

Nintendogs

Smash Journeyman
I forgot to tell you guys earlier, my local PNT that started the IC chaingrab ban system actually went bankrupt along with a few other PNT stores due to the fact that no one was showing up for their tournies! Sweet, sweet revenge!

Prawn

Smash Master
anybody who thinks they should banned is a scrub lol.

Lain got 9th at pound 4, arguably the best IC main in the US. Are ICs top 5 or 7 potential? I think so.

But are they bannable? that is lol.

Top Bottom