• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ares' Snake Vids (More Vids added)

aresparadox

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, as suggested by my friend Kupo from the Pit boards, im posting some videos of my snake and asking for constructive criticism. More matches to come as Kupo has just started putting up some. All of the matches can be found in Kupos Video Thread as well(http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=168600)..im just posting a few here, that i enjoyed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcjXuFmyuC8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8P8xb9yBWg&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7onSgZyoJ9k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHYsIpsMu74

(Here's some of me losing, sorry to ruin the surprise, but try to critique so that i wont lose again :p)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-klb2TsbVI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvN4SckEgik

Anything helpful is appreciated!

~Ares.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Nice snake. Your very fun to brawl with ^_^
The first match of the 3rd vid is literally a battlefield. That was one of my favorites.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
umm better than me... lol
sooo since ican beat cpu level 9... i guess u are level 10 =P u seem pro to me...
so what can i say... um control the map more =P

i think i need to learn some stuff from u =P

2 bad i dont play online with people not in australia :X

-Ran

Smash Master
It's hard to judge a player's online play in order to provide tips.

1. You seemed to have a lot of unnecessary jumps throughout the fights that set you up for unnecessary damage.
2. You should save your F-tilt for kills against Pitt. Trying to kill him Horizontally isn't going to work too well.
3. You also seemed to have a lot of rolls, that would lead to tech chases or damage in a non-online match.
4. Lots of non-autocanceled Bairs which would set you up for shield grabs, or punishment offline.
5. More grabs, but grabs are annoying to do online. Grab -> Tech chase ftw.
6. You seemed to jump to C4 drop a ton, even when the opponent was close to you. Snake vs a fast moving character/projectile user sets up for too much punishment.

Going off of memory here, since I watched them last night, and I'm at work. Lawl.

-Ran

Smash Master
Ah, I thought they were online. Just ignore the 'Johns' about things being hard/annoying to do Online then. =p The best advice for any character is move and act with purpose.

aresparadox

Smash Cadet
Sounds good. And yes i agree id like to grab way more then i do with Snake, idk why i dont grab as much as i would other characters.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I have some honest questions from what I have noticed.

How come you dont use the second jump momentum for the Up B all of the time? I thought Snakes do that to get high for the recovery.

How come after you kill me and you mortar to the ledge to down smash, you hold the mortar to its full length? I know you use that to protect yourself while planting the dSmash but there is no threat.

Last question is why do you always mortar slide to the ledge to edgeguard when I always hit you with an arrow? Wouldn't it be better if you tried to set up the other side of the stage for a later time?

Just curious.

megamanexev3

Smash Journeyman
@Kupo: I think what he's trying to do is just create pressure. It is dangerous to fight on territory with a mortar in the air or a planted mine. It wouldn't be better to 'set up' for the other side because when it's time to do that, he could easy do it.

You're a good Snake, but I suggest a few things:

Down tilts. Use them when you can as they can easily lead into a double Up+Tilt + Nair (almost 60 damage right there)

[I only watched the first two videos, so the following comment may not apply]

You didn't seem to be using yours throws very much. If somebody is in your face with an A combo and you're shielding it, you should know that you can grab out of a shield. Now then, back to throws. At low percents, I suggest the Up Throw into one or two up tilts followed by a fullhopped nair/bair/dair depending on opponent's DI. Throws off stage are GREAT as you can easily land some damage while your foe is trying to make his or her way back onto the stage.

kupo15

Smash Hero
ah ok. I have no idea what the gameplay style of snakes are. They seem to be the most vague lol. Thanks! ^_^

aresparadox

Smash Cadet
To Kupo

1st question- im not good with my snake air game, i try to stay on the ground. If i can get on with just a jump im fine, that and you like to gimp a little too much.

2nd question- megamanexe pretty much answered that, i like to be always doing something, always planting,shooting, or throwing something. always putting pressure and always making you think whats out on the stage, and always making you worry about whats there. I'd rather get a mortar off and wait for your next move, i dont mind the arrow peg.

And 3rd....actually that answered both 2nd and 3rd questions ^

kupo15

Smash Hero
Yes I do like gimping! I guess you going super high against Pit is not a good idea since I can knock you out with an arrow and kill you.

megamanexev3

Smash Journeyman
It's very hard to gimp as Snake, but very easy to be gimped :p

What I love doing is chasing flying characters below the level with my Nikita missile. Usually, they run out of jumps.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
you have an okay snake. I would like to see better use of grenades. In the matches i saw i didnt see alot of nairs and no autocanceled bairs. auto canceled bairs are great, or even full hop double bairs. It would behoove you to use some jab cancels with snake as that can lead to virtually anything. nade shielding while close to pit seems to help me alot seeing as he has a ton of multi hitting attacks. and these guys are right, if ur are playing offline, heck if ur playing online, you need waaaay more grabs. grabs to tech chases are great or like someone mentioned earlier upthrow to up tilts/ nair. rolling is going to get you into trouble man. rolling is great but if done excessively, its virtually free damage for the opponent. And i need to see more dairs and dtilt. those moves are underrated and personally let me gauge how good a snake is cuz the average snake doesnt use them and wrongfully so. motarsliding is great, but trying to thing of creative ways to use it. like nade pickups and stuff helps. hey autocanceled nairs are great too for edgeguarding. i usually either fast fall it or u can just let it cancel which alot of ppl dont expect and jab ftilt their faces in.

aresparadox

Smash Cadet
thx for the input syon, im tossing in more grabs in my game and my snake is much more effective, i just couldnt get the right times for em.

cheifrocka

Smash Apprentice
wow, your snake is fun to watch :]

my only gripes would be that you could've DI'd a little better when smashed (I counted several times when you would've been able to survive with quick DI instead of getting KO'd) and you could've used arials a little more (autocancelled bair is sex :D).

Top Bottom