• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are YOU going to change what your buttons do?

Tobi-

Smash Ace
No. I play first. Then if it feels uncomfortable I'll switch the buttons around. But to even speculate if I'm going to go straight up change the configuration without playing yet..Not really my style.

Canvas

Smash Cadet
Right now I like the idea of using the standard Wiimote/Nunchuk controls, only changing grab to D-Pad Down and turning tap jump off.

I doubt I'll use shake smash, but I'll have to wait and see how useful that actually is.

who8therice

Smash Cadet
After seeing this update, I'm pretty psyched for the wii remote (NOT WIIMOTE- I REFUSE TO SAY IT!!!) and nunchuck combo. I think I want to try:

TAP Jump = off, the first thing I had a problem with in Melee is now gone! UTilt ftw!
B: Jump-- SUPER SHFF(L)
A:Attack
v direction:Special, gotta have it somewhere
C:Grab
A+B:Also Grabs, in case i mess up and press in air itll still do a nair
Z:Shielding

The other buttons don't matter, I'm really excited to try this out. It just looks so easy!
Oh yeah, ummm Shake Smash I'm not too sure about yet... depends on how sensitive it is

spindash

Smash Ace
Well, I know ONE change that I'll be making. Tapping up on the control stick won't make me jump anymore. Hello easier up+a juggles and short-hopped up+airs! :D

Irow

Smash Ace
I'll turn the tap jump off. I'll be using the gamecube controller. Also, I'll assign new functions for L and Y, considering I don't use them at all.

L=Grab or jump
Y=Smash? Maybe grab depending whether I like L.

Grod

Smash Apprentice
I'm not going to say right now what I "know" I'm going to use. I'm thinking that I'll try everything I can, see which way works best for me.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
I'm still debating between the classic controller and the gamecube controller.

Can anyone tell me what the classic controller is like? I haven't bought one yet and I am curious to see how it feels. Also the nunchuck and wiimote option might be pretty cool as well, especially with shake smashing.

Lucina Clash

Smash Apprentice
Will I change my control scheme? No. Will I change another person's control scheme? Well, of course! I will force--I mean--volunteer to help friends make a good control scheme, like having L attack, R jump, X down taunt, Y specials, control pad up attack, Z side taunt, A shield, B grab, and control pad down shield. That is better than the default. I am doing friends a favour for that.

Really, I will not change any of that minus the tapping jump off... ooooh, I hate that.

Zarckoh

Smash Apprentice
I am just going to turn off the tap jump with the GC controller. I hated to accidentaly jump when using some tilts.

Perhaps I will change the Wimmote and Nunchuk the same thing, but I don't think that I will use those controls much in the first place.

T-major

Smash Champion
all I'm going to change (probably; to early to tell really) is the Tap Jump. I almost never use Up on the control stick to jump, so it's a great option for me.

bizybozo

Smash Journeyman
i use tap jumps for jump cancel upsmashing... so i don't see myself changing that.

Kozo

Smash Rookie
Depends if it's possible to jump-cancel up-smash. If not, tap-jump off.

Oh, and switch Luigi's kick-taunt to up on the D-pad.

Irow

Smash Ace
I'm still debating between the classic controller and the gamecube controller.

Can anyone tell me what the classic controller is like? I haven't bought one yet and I am curious to see how it feels. Also the nunchuck and wiimote option might be pretty cool as well, especially with shake smashing.
The classics buttons feel nice. I would say they're better suited for some aspects, like if you need finger speed - Classic is better. However, the analog sticks feel awkward to use. I would say use the Classic if you want more precise L and R though.

RazeveX

Smash Ace
if i mained the ice climbers (or any other character that needs rapid button pressing for recovery), i would change x (the jump button i dont use) to b function. That way, when i use squalls hammer (or whatever the hell it is) i can alternate between buttons, giving me max height.

Believe it or not, i think the "competitive" controller scheme will change quite a bit.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm going to ditch the GCN controller if possible and adapt to the Wii + Nunchuck. I have high hopes that it will probably be the best control scheme, but that's just a guess.

If possible, I'll set Smash to the D-pad. Although in said case, I'll have to use A+B to grab. If Shake to Smash works well for me though, then I'll keep the control pad to it's configuration in the picture.

Midboss

Smash Cadet
I'll experiment. I intend to use wiimote + nunchuk, since holding them is really comfortable for me. Also, I seem to be the only person who doesn't use a jump button, opting for the joystick instead. Embarrassing, but I actually can't shorthop or wavedash with the buttons, only the stick. Not so embarrassing is the fact I rarely if ever have problems doing tilts or aerial combos anymore, at least, that stem from accidental jumping.

I'd never be able to get used to up not being jump...Just too weird for me. I mean, down makes you go downwards more, so up should make you go upwards. It makes musical sense.

Nothingman

Smash Cadet
Ok, well i made a thread, and it quickly got shut down, so i'll just copy and paste to this one:

Hi everyone, im new here, long time lurker.
I was inspired to sign up and start this thread after hearing the last SMYN (#22) and noticing that it didnt have a great discussion about the controls update. So i guess I can quickly introduce myself.

My names Jimmy, but i'd rather go by Nothingman, Nman, 0man, what have you. Im a california born american smasher that currently is living in fukuoka japan, though i should be back in the US around next september. (yay, brawl 2 weeks early! ^^). in melee i juggle DK, Falcon, and Samus. I have quite a bit of competitive fighting game background and I love the smash games. Nice to meet you all.

Anyway, onto the controls discussion, and to start it off, i'll use this anecdote:

Im a big Street Fighter 3: third strike competitive player. in this game, i much prefer joystick controls over control pad controls, and for 1 reason. my entire right hand is used to press attack buttons. this is much faster, 5 fingers (and yes i use them all) pressing 6 buttons works much better than my thumb on 4-6 buttons. believe it or not, the time it takes to move your thumb from one button to another is a factor, most definitely in a game like melee and probably brawl.

now, looking at the four control schemes they gave us in last weeks update, i can already tell im going to use the Nun-chuck scheme. why is this? simple

if you notice, all movement is mapped to your left hand. jumping, shielding, shield rolling, dodging, moving. all of it. this leaves your right hand to concentrate solely on attacks. this is a big deal. where as in melee, you had to both jump and attack with your right thumb, it should go much faster with the nunchuck.

but this isnt even the half of it.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamem...14_071126f.jpg

now if you notice, you're going to have two fingers on your right hand solely for 2 attack buttons. combined, you can throw (which i think is a great addition)

also notice that the wiimote d-pad, by default, just has a bunch of crap mapped to it that you can already do with your left hand. so heres where it gets better. if you can map movement controls to that d-pad, you just opened a whole world of possibilities.

imagine if you will that you switched the special and normal attack functions on the wiimote. this means you're going to be using your trigger finger for normal attacks, most of the time, with a special here and there thrown in by your right thumb, which will mostly be free.

if youre right thumb is free, then you can use it to input a second directional movement on that little d-pad. that would make things like using an up-tilt WHILE running to the right with you left hand much easier. this puts a whole new level of control into the competitive scene.

im not sure about this shake smash feature (could or could not work depending on how jerky it is.) but you could essentially pull off things like:

ice climbers, you run to the right using your left hand, use your right thumb to press up on the wiimote d-pad and hit attack with your right trigger finger, causing an uptilt attack (you cant smash with a d pad) at the same time you could make nana up smash by shaking your wii mote. all the while your left hand could be mostly free to throw in short hops and shields and what not.
this kind of movement would be incredibly hard to pull off with the game cube control because of finger limitations.

i'm mostly just plugging what i think would be that best control scheme, and i know it sounds a little akward. but i think it opens up so many more possibilities in the competitive scene, where controls and speed are big issues. this makes advanced techniques much easier to pull off, because you have so many more layers of control.

two hands (one movement and one attack oriented), but also your right thumb could input a second direction (which wouldnt provoke smashing, just tilts) while your right index finger would take care of attacks, and your wrist could handle smash attacks.

thats a whole lot better than your right thumb on both attacks, jumping, and c stick smashes i think.

anyone else see the possibilities of this control set up in the right hands with enough experience?

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
Ok, well i made a thread, and it quickly got shut down, so i'll just copy and paste to this one:

Hi everyone, im new here, long time lurker.
I was inspired to sign up and start this thread after hearing the last SMYN (#22) and noticing that it didnt have a great discussion about the controls update. So i guess I can quickly introduce myself.

My names Jimmy, but i'd rather go by Nothingman, Nman, 0man, what have you. Im a california born american smasher that currently is living in fukuoka japan, though i should be back in the US around next september. (yay, brawl 2 weeks early! ^^). in melee i juggle DK, Falcon, and Samus. I have quite a bit of competitive fighting game background and I love the smash games. Nice to meet you all.

Anyway, onto the controls discussion, and to start it off, i'll use this anecdote:

Im a big Street Fighter 3: third strike competitive player. in this game, i much prefer joystick controls over control pad controls, and for 1 reason. my entire right hand is used to press attack buttons. this is much faster, 5 fingers (and yes i use them all) pressing 6 buttons works much better than my thumb on 4-6 buttons. believe it or not, the time it takes to move your thumb from one button to another is a factor, most definitely in a game like melee and probably brawl.

now, looking at the four control schemes they gave us in last weeks update, i can already tell im going to use the Nun-chuck scheme. why is this? simple

if you notice, all movement is mapped to your left hand. jumping, shielding, shield rolling, dodging, moving. all of it. this leaves your right hand to concentrate solely on attacks. this is a big deal. where as in melee, you had to both jump and attack with your right thumb, it should go much faster with the nunchuck.

but this isnt even the half of it.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamem...14_071126f.jpg

now if you notice, you're going to have two fingers on your right hand solely for 2 attack buttons. combined, you can throw (which i think is a great addition)

also notice that the wiimote d-pad, by default, just has a bunch of crap mapped to it that you can already do with your left hand. so heres where it gets better. if you can map movement controls to that d-pad, you just opened a whole world of possibilities.

imagine if you will that you switched the special and normal attack functions on the wiimote. this means you're going to be using your trigger finger for normal attacks, most of the time, with a special here and there thrown in by your right thumb, which will mostly be free.

if youre right thumb is free, then you can use it to input a second directional movement on that little d-pad. that would make things like using an up-tilt WHILE running to the right with you left hand much easier. this puts a whole new level of control into the competitive scene.

im not sure about this shake smash feature (could or could not work depending on how jerky it is.) but you could essentially pull off things like:

ice climbers, you run to the right using your left hand, use your right thumb to press up on the wiimote d-pad and hit attack with your right trigger finger, causing an uptilt attack (you cant smash with a d pad) at the same time you could make nana up smash by shaking your wii mote. all the while your left hand could be mostly free to throw in short hops and shields and what not.
this kind of movement would be incredibly hard to pull off with the game cube control because of finger limitations.

i'm mostly just plugging what i think would be that best control scheme, and i know it sounds a little akward. but i think it opens up so many more possibilities in the competitive scene, where controls and speed are big issues. this makes advanced techniques much easier to pull off, because you have so many more layers of control.

two hands (one movement and one attack oriented), but also your right thumb could input a second direction (which wouldnt provoke smashing, just tilts) while your right index finger would take care of attacks, and your wrist could handle smash attacks.

thats a whole lot better than your right thumb on both attacks, jumping, and c stick smashes i think.

anyone else see the possibilities of this control set up in the right hands with enough experience?
QFT: Wii-mote/nun-chuck will eventually rule the competitive scene. You can already tell that it will be the preferred choice, for all of the reasons listed above, and more!

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
ill stick with the control buttons ive used for over 6 years... besides tourneys might ban it as you say or some guy will occur to john for different controller buttons lol

Kazydai

Smash Apprentice
Banning control schemes in tournaments would be very stupid. You might as well ban playing at all, and just imagine all of your fights.

Like, right now, I'm imagining myself fighting Ken Hoang...wtf, I lost?! In my own daydream?!?!?!

Flaminglink

Smash Journeyman
Yeah im going to take off the tap jump because i main link and i sometimes jump when doing my up a attack by accident and sometimes I even jump when doing my up b on the ground by accident.

Hallowed Storm

Smash Journeyman
I'm turning off tap jump, and I might experiment with some different control schemes, but the Gamecube one feels SO natural to me, I think I might just stick with it.

Micahc

Smash Ace
Banning control schemes in tournaments would be very stupid. You might as well ban playing at all, and just imagine all of your fights.

Like, right now, I'm imagining myself fighting Ken Hoang...wtf, I lost?! In my own daydream?!?!?!
Lets imagine you have a tournament with over 300 people. Chances are you have a few dozen Wiis, and a third of the people decide to play with a Wii-mote + Nunchuck. Now you have to waste time setting 100+ people up. But you could accidentally screw up a deciding round between Mew2King and Korean DJ. Or you accidentally connect your controller to a Wii upstairs, making the match a 3 player 15 minute coin match. That's why Wavebirds are generally banned in tournies, and why Wiimotes will be to. It's just easier to use Game Cube controllers.

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
I'm sticking with the Gamecube controller and the default settings from Melee in all likely events. Though I may tweak it some just for s&g.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
I'll keep the Melee control scheme for my GC most likely, and then try to find something comfortable with the Wii remote. I don't think I'd want to use the Classic controller at all for this game.

Irow

Smash Ace
What if 4 controllers were already pre-synched to each Wii, and you bring your own attachments. The organizers could also set up a few alternate common button configurations for each controller.

Also, has anyone considered using this? It plugs into the GC ports, I believe.
That would cost way too much money.

And no, that wouldn't be too good. A control pad like that doesn't help too much in a game like Smash. You might as well just use a gamecube controller. Plus, it's only $25.

KaptKRool

Smash Apprentice
Where the St Lawrence meets Lake Ontario (Tibbets
I've only got 3 gamecube controllers (4, if you count controllers with soda spilt on them), so if we get some 4 player Smash going, I want to be prepared with the WiiMote-Nunchuk feeling natural to me.

So I plan on getting some good practice in with the Wiimote-Nunchuk set up, which I would greatly alter. My Nunchuk set-up would be:

Wii-Mote:
A-Standard attack
B-Special move
A+B- Smash Attack
D-Pad Down- Grab
D-Pad Up- Taunt Up
D-Pad Left- Taunt Over
D-Pad Right- Taunt Down

Nunchuk:
Analog Stick- Unsure, but probably movement ;)
C- Jump
Z- Sheild

Tap Jump- Off
Shake Smash- On for fun unless it's too twitchy and gets in the way

I most likely won't ever hit 1 or 2, so I'll set them to taunts or something, just for the hell of it. I plan to expiriment with C and Z, seeing if they might work better for attack and special attack, but probably not, but I might end up switching the jump and shield around, to get the one that feels more natural. I will ALWAYS be playing with Tap Jump off, it was one of the very few things in Melee that actually sucked and annoyed me. And I'll switch A+B to Smash Attacks and D-Pad down to Grab because I think it'd feel more natural for me to have to hit a seperate button to grab than to attack, since I'm used to hitting Z on the gamecube controller.

As for the other control schemes, I don't think I'll ever use Wiimote only, except once or twice just for the sake of expirimenting. I don't have a classic controller. And for the Gamecube, everything would remain the same, except Tap Jump would of course be turned off.

Top Bottom