• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

are you a left hander or right hander?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sephirothken

ken combo
BRoomer
hmmm, does being a left hander give you more of an advantage playing smash or being a right hander?

i am a right hander so i want to see how many left handers there are. i know for a fact that left handers have better manueverbility with their characters.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
I'm right handed and I think being right-handed is an advantage. Because if you're left-handed you won't be able to press X or Y as easily (losing manuberability). And also all of the buttons that you need to press fast are on the otherside of the controller, the right side.

DEOS

Smash Cadet
i dont think either one has an advantage, im sure most of us have been playing videogames for years and our left hands are always acustomed to joystick/movement control while our right is always for performing actions. so saying that one person has an advantage because they have a certain hand dominance would only really apply to a person who has never pick up a NES, SNES, N64, GC, SEGA, PS, XBOX, etc.. controller before

W.J

Smash Ace
im like ambidextrous, and i dont feel as if i have some major advantage, over others, if there was one, it would be when learning how to do new tech skill, but that only goes so far, you still have to implement mind games and crap

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't believe either side has the advantage. I'm lefthanded when writing and drawing, but otherwise, I alternate for certain things. Like when eating, I hold the fork and knife the way right-handed people are supposed to hold them.

As someone said earlier, if you've played videogames for a long time, you're accostumed to how to hold the controller.

ivootjes(nr18)

Smash Lord
Originally posted by FallenAngelII
I don't believe either side has the advantage. I'm lefthanded when writing and drawing, but otherwise, I alternate for certain things. Like when eating, I hold the fork and knife the way right-handed people are supposed to hold them.

As someone said earlier, if you've played videogames for a long time, you're accostumed to how to hold the controller.
same for me...

The Cape

Smash Master
Originally posted by RyokoYaksa
Somebody should make a completely inverted controller.
That would be an interesting idea, but with everyone used to the current controller setup, would this sell?

Flarefox

Smash Ace
I'm right handed and I think being right-handed is an advantage. Because if you're left-handed you won't be able to press X or Y as easily (losing manuberability). And also all of the buttons that you need to press fast are on the otherside of the controller, the right side.
I'm a lefty, and I really have no problem at all with the right side of my controller. In fact, I only use my left hand for l canceling and maneuvering with the analog. Everything else like wavedashing, shieldgrabbing, and roll/dodging I do with my right hand.
Also I believe that it would be more difficult to use L for wavedashing(even though i am lefthanded), bc you would have to time a jumb (X or Y) w/ right hand with L from the left. It takes good timing/coordination to have two hands working together at the right time. I find it easier to time a wavedash with only my right hand. It is very easy to time the index and thumb movements on the same hand. Also, this leaves the left hand free, waiting for whatever you may do next.
So last of all, I have to agree that there is really not much advantage from being a certain handed person. People really adjust and get used to things. I cannot imagine using my left hand for abxyz and r and my right for the analog and l.

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
Ken you are one of the top players in the USA. You are right handed. You can figure it out from there. ;)

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I have some trouble dash dancing, and I'm right handed... Not sure if there is any connection, but I just can't seem to get any better. I think it also deals with how "amidextrous (can't spell)" you are. I, am not.

FlowinWater

Smash Champion
Maverick does actually. I always thought he was the only one that hold the stick that way. I don't know if he is left handed though.

HOLLA

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
Yeha that's how I hold it. I've always done it that way with every joystick controller since N64. I'm right handed tho.

ANTX

Smash Ace
seabassdan: I try to say to myself "That thread isn't lame" because he is Ken...but it's pretty silly......
-dan smith.

it's true, this is silly, but i guess it could affect smash. we should researc this strange phenomenon.

Left-Hander right hurr tho.

Aly>>>>>>>>>>Ken.

dan smith

Smash Champion
I have a FVGKEB up thumb

My right thumb is short and weird...it's a genetic deformity. My great great grandfather and his brother also had this thumb...my grandmother said that a ton of other people in our family have had it over generations. (before she died)

It makes it hard to jump sometimes though....

DARN YOU BELOVED ANCESTORS!

Left or right? Don't matta...

I almost completely forget I have hands while playing smash.

sephirothken

ken combo
BRoomer
ALSO i have like small girly asian hands which makes it very easy for me to play smash.

MikeMonkey (Konkey Dong) on the otherhand has long stubby fingers and big hands. when he holds his controller you can see his hands like overlapping each other. i think it takes him more effort to play smash that i do. : T

that probably affects anyone more than being right or left handed

Tizex

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if being a lefty or righty really matters that much, because I think most of us are used to controlling with the left thumb, and button pressing with the right thumb. Basically, I think most of us are lefties at controlling.

I have to agree with the small girly hands point, though. It was incredibly easy for me to shorthop and attack immediately out of a jump, because my thumb fits perfectly with the y and a (the tip of my thumb pressed jump, and then I bent it back which naturally pressed the joint into the a button).

Konkey Dong

Smash Journeyman
i lefthanded so maybez i handle joystick better, i dont even use l button so whole right side (it opposite!!) of brain dedicated to joystick. so forth so on.

Cubed64

Grimer Elitist
Im right handed, but i dont think it matters much when playing smash. Its more the size and flexibility of the hands and fingers that matter when smashing. Someone with short stubby fingers will obivously have a harded time than someone with slender fingers, and someone with arthritis will have a harder time than someone without.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
and someone with arthritis will have a harder time than someone without.
LOL. This one cracked me up.

I don't think it makes much difference either way, considering I forget about what buttons I press when I play. Until I actually looked into it recently, I thought I jumped with X, but it turns out I jump with Y. Crazy huh? :crazy:

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by sephirothken
ALSO i have like small girly asian hands which makes it very easy for me to play smash.

MikeMonkey (Konkey Dong) on the otherhand has long stubby fingers and big hands. when he holds his controller you can see his hands like overlapping each other. i think it takes him more effort to play smash that i do. : T

that probably affects anyone more than being right or left handed
Ouh, me too! :D Too small for men's rings. Too big for women's rings XD.

dan smith

Smash Champion
I am going to write Nintento a letter.

They need to make 1.5 times size Gamecube controllers. (for white people)

Ultra Luigi

Smash Ace
My hands a farely good size so its good for a gamecube controller.
The thing about WD with the L, I do that, I tried it with the R but its a lot harder for me.

Mav

Furries For The Win
Originally posted by ANTX
BIG HANDS MAKE SMASH HARD!
BREAK CONTROLLER!
GGGRRRRR!!!!!
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

USING LEFT THUMB AND LEFT INDEX FINGER TO HOLD STICK MAKE SMASH HARD! BREAK CONTROL! GGGRRRR!!!! lmao

I'm right handed, but I hold the control stick differently then most players. If that gives me an advantage or not I don't know. But it's always nice to be able to distinquish yourself from others =D

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
my hands are big...i did find it very difficult to learn SHing..i just couldn't get the sensitivity down, but i'm glad i finally got over it(though i can nowhere keep it consistent w/ fox)

i'm lefthanded, btw, as well...i've always done all jumping w/ the stick since n64..until about half a year ago, i forced myself to change...hoping for the better

i now jump w/ X,Y, and teh stick.....all depending on wether its a fulljump attack, SH, dashing SH, which attack i'm using, and wether or not i want to continue to 'drift' after tossing a reverse pill and such.

sounds like it'd be confusing but for what i assigned each for-unintentially, it IS how i do it now, w/out thinking.
i also use C-stick for certain aerial attacks(marth's F.air, falco's dashSHD.air, ect)
its not how i planned, but it seems to have served me good

Greta_the_Great

Smash Ace
My hands fit perfectly on the GC controller. I'm right handed and use the L for everything and the Y to jump. But I scratch my nuts with my left hand :confused:

sauce

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by rmusgrave
LOL. This one cracked me up.

I don't think it makes much difference either way, considering I forget about what buttons I press when I play. Until I actually looked into it recently, I thought I jumped with X, but it turns out I jump with Y. Crazy huh? :crazy:
Laugh it up but I am developing arthritis beacause I use X to jump.
That and years and years of Nintendo games.

It hurts....make smash hard... CMAO (crying my *** off) :(.

ChuDat

Smash Master
Wellz.... Im Left Handedz Wen it comez 2 playing "One Handed Smashin"... which iz awesome since u canz Eat/drink while u play. :chuckle: .

Im also Left handedz wen it comes to "Long objects" like...... Raking leavez, playin baseball (which i SUK at haha), Tennis, Sweepinz the floor... thingz like dat. I have no clue why, itz jes natural andz very random of me lolz.

Other than datz though.... Im right handedz all the way kekekz.

hahaha xD. ChuDatz ken!

W.J

Smash Ace
K that crazy, if u can play one handed, it would be even crazier if u could do one handed styles with both hands and play ur self...but thats goin a bit too far

CStick

Smash Lord
I'm lefty and I don't notice anything between manuevering or pushing the R/Z/A/B/X/Yetc. buttons. It feels natural, but then again, I'm weird....so whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom