• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are there any Smashers here who's origins are in fighting games?

KazenoZ

Smash Apprentice
Just a gnenral wonder, how many people from the Smash community are hardcore fighter gamers, or just like fighting games alot.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Me for example. I haven't played that many fighting games like usual "hardcore" gamers, but I'm a learner, always at a look out for more fighting games who likes the usual stuff like Tekken and Soul Calibur.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I like smash because it isn't like other fighting games. So, no, I"m not in that category. I think Smash is more about platforming and movement than anything else, which is why (and not beginning arguments or anything) I don't like Brawl as much as Melee.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
Yea, I agree with coreygames, the reason I like smash is because it's different from other fighting games. In other fighting games, I can just button mash and have a pretty good chance at winning, or I could just pick the rediculously overpowered character >_>

I.T.P

Smash Ace
Yea, I agree with coreygames, the reason I like smash is because it's different from other fighting games. In other fighting games, I can just button mash and have a pretty good chance at winning, or I could just pick the rediculously overpowered character >_>
Says a Meta Knight player XD

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
My favourite genre is Beat'em Up. So yeah, I'm a pretty good example

It started years ago with Street Fighter 2, Street Fighter 2 Turbo to Super Street Fighter 2. In the meantime, there were also Mortal Combat and Turtles Tournament Fighters. This is the SNES Era. Very seldom I even played Tekken, but I never had a playstation, so i wasn't very good. On N64 I think there was also a Mortal Combat Game. But there I was playing mainly Smash 64. Meanwhile I played more and more SNES Beat'em Up's on my Emu. Every DBZ game with Hyper Dimension the best game ever. Every Ranma 1/2 Fighting game, even if one of them is the most suckiest of all. I tried once the Sailor Moon fighter, but wow... that was horrible, and the Justice league one is ...wow... too sucky to describe. I even played Sonic Blast man for SNES. Once I borrowed a playstation and could play X-Men that was awesome and Die Hard Arcade that is like the best game I played in that time. There was another running around beat'em up, which was great too, but I forgot like everything, even the name (Just the feeling of this game will be in my heart forever). Nowadays I play Melee and Soul Calibur 2. Not many fighters for Nintendo. And I should not forget boxing on Wii sports!!!
The only thing I need is Brawl.... Just two months

Edit: How could I forget Guilty Gear XX. I played that like one month without break... I should play it again

acojan

Smash Apprentice
I started out with tekken --- i actually started out with tekken 5 and i was surprise at just how deep the tekken series was .... i was hooked on tekken for the longest time and almost our whole class would play tekken in the morning before the bell would right with our PSPs .... great fun ---

So Anyways ... i like super smash because there is always an element of randomness and WTF moments ..... not like in tekken where super pro people are god .... period .... you loose in 5 seconds ......

While in supersmash although PROs obviously win against newbies its not boring and sh*t for the losing guy ...... especially with items ^_^ which is why i love playing with items even if i get screwed over by a 9 year old .....

Tamis2Hamis

Smash Rookie
I've always enjoyed playing fighting games, I just never got "hardcore" with any of them. I'd play Capcom vs. SNK 2 with friends all day long and that would be a blast.
The only game that I've come anywhere close to hardcore is WoW (and may it burn in Hades).

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I absolutely hate traditional fighting games. I hate memorizing ridiculous button combinations that don't make any sense. I hate being essentially restricted to ground-based, face-to-face punching and kicking, that's so boring. I hate trying to guess whether my opponent is gonna attack high, mid, or low, and blocking accordingly. I hate having to anticipate one of the 100 or so moves every character has.

I avoided fighting games like the plague until Smash 64 came out, with button presses that actually made sense, more interesting ways to fight, and much more varied characters than anything that came before. Then Melee came out in all its glory and perfection and my life was complete. Then Brawl came out and I died a little inside, but that's a different story.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Smash was my first Competitive fighting game. Didn't stop me from dabbling with others, though. I've only become moderately good at Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 (which isn't that traditional or popular) and Soul Calibur III (which is).

ShinGuara

Smash Rookie
Have loved fighting games since Street Fighter II hit the arcades. Then it broadened to Samurai Showdown, Mortal Kombat, World Heroes, King of Fighters (Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury). Used to go to this little gaming place down the street just to hop on a Neo-Geo to play all the fighting games it had to offer.

Played Project Justice and Tekken in the arcades for a long time, which then went into Marvel Vs Capcom (1-2) and Capcom Vs SNK (1-2). As of late I hop on my brother's Xbox 360 to play umk3 online turning people into babies and laughing, and playing Guilty Gear with my friends. Trying to learn Melty Blood, which is a bit different though.

So yah, fighting gamer here :chuckle:

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
I started out with Street Fighter 2 and a little bit of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles tournament fighting game. If wrestling games count, I played a lot of Royal Rumble for Genesis and WCW/NWO Revenge for N64 too. I rented the original Smash Bros. about a week after it came out, bought it the following week, and have been addicted ever since.

I also played this one arcade fighting game featuring a green monster who had claws like Wolverine(XMen), and also featured at least one guy with a samurai sword. The more damage you took, the more red the character got. Anyone know the name of this game?

ShinGuara

Smash Rookie
That would be Samurai Showdown. Your thinking of Haohmaru, the "Ryu" so to speak of Samurai Showdown. The Green guy with the claws was Genan, who could exhale poison gas and rolls in a ball (kinda sounds like blanka in a way)

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Oh, wow.

The very first fighting game that I have ever had the chance of playing was Mortal Kombat for the Sega Genesis. Ever since then, I've been hooked on the genre. I've pretty much played just about everything its had to offer. Street Fighter, Samurai Showdown, Primal Rage, Darkstalkers, Power Stone, Naruto, Soul Calibur (SC3 sucked, Yuna! I don't care what you say! GIMME MY BROKEN *** NIGHTMARE FROM SC2 BACK!), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (btw, the Genesis version was better than the SNES version), Clayfighter, Killer Instinct (K.I. Gold=win)...you name it, I've pretty much played it (except for Sukapon).

Competitively, though, I've played Smash and GG (well, okay, I lie about the GG part. I have a fond wish to play the game competitively and have been told by other notable players that I could go real far. As much as I would like to believe the ego assuaging, I know the truth of the matter is that I'm still technically not a competitive-level player in that game).

Smooth Criminal

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
That would be Samurai Showdown. Your thinking of Haohmaru, the "Ryu" so to speak of Samurai Showdown. The Green guy with the claws was Genan, who could exhale poison gas and rolls in a ball (kinda sounds like blanka in a way)
YES! That's the one. Thanks!

I also played a lot of Eternal Champions for Genesis. I liked Eternal Champions' fatalities the best.

Nwordtim

Smash Journeyman
Well to be Honest I started off with tekken, the vs series (up to marvel vs capcom 2) and street fighter 2 (up to alpha 3) however, I didn't get competitive until I started playing smash a lot. Afterwards I started to play 3s, KOF series, Blitzkampf, Hokuto No Ken, CvS 2, and Guilty Gear series. Lately thought I've been narrowing down my fighting games to Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, KOF XI, and Hokuto No ken however this doesn't included brawl/melee which is my strongest in the fighting game genre.

Sundown

Smash Journeyman
Started out with Street Fighter II Turbo at my local arcade... kept playing only SF2T untill 3rd Strike came out lol, then my next game was DOA4, and i was pretty hardcore about it, then i realized it was a joke (lol at CGS and the bull**** they pull off, a coorporation runs that ****ty community). Then i went into Guilty Gear, and lastly (pretty late), i head about competitive melee, so i tried it out, and loved it, although i was never awesome at it.

Now id like to see where Brawl takes me.

mangodurban

Smash Journeyman
I learned how to wavedash and l cancel in pong. But my favorite fighter is thumb war, some serious mind games go on there.

Nick A

Smash Cadet
There seems to be a correlation between Smashers and 3d fighters. That doesn't surprise me.

I've played smash since release but didn't become competitive in gaming until I started play Marvel vs. Capcom 2. Now that's a real man's game.

Nwordtim

Smash Journeyman
There seems to be a correlation between Smashers and 3d fighters. That doesn't surprise me.

I've played smash since release but didn't become competitive in gaming until I started play Marvel vs. Capcom 2. Now that's a real man's game.
O_o MvC2 has the worst fighting game community ever and yes I know it's the biggest fight games scene in America (well 2nd to smash that is).

Nick A

Smash Cadet
O_o MvC2 has the worst fighting game community ever and yes I know it's the biggest fight games scene in America (well 2nd to smash that is).
if by worst you mean dynamic, then yes, i would have to agree with you.

MVC2 and its counterparts are just entirely more competative than smash. I believe you are jealous sir.

Darkslash

Smash Master
lol I like Smash because instead of other fighting games you use tactical advantage!!!!!1. You can do circles around a guy and not get hit.........that ****ing awesome.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
I like Soul Caliber, and even Mortal Kombat (especially the older ones) but I love Smash because it's not your average fighter. It's still entirely skill based, but in a different way. It's funny, it's still a fighter for sure, but a different flavor of the genre. I appreciate Smash significantly over traditional fighters.

Once you've gone Smash, you can never go back!

missedwithtruestrike

Smash Journeyman
i was always big on the mortal kombat games since the 2nd one i liked those. i played alot of tekken and street fighter too, but until i found melee in 2005 my favorite fighting game was an old one: eternal champions, it was really fun.
edit: i forgot to mention primal rage, go fighting dinosaurs and for awhile i was hooked on the second DBZ fightin game on ps2 but i forget the name now.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Killer Instinct Gold on the N64.

Do I have to say more?

Top Bottom