• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are Soulja Boy's albums good?

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
I listened to three of Soulja Boy Tell 'em's latest songs and though I'm no true fan of hip hop (it's not completely hip hop though) I really liked the beats in those songs. I can't stop singing them in my head now and I like that- hearing a good song continuously.

So I'd like to buy his album iSouljaboyTellem. Is it good? Did you like it? Are the songs good? Can you think of any more questions for me to ask you about the overall quality of the album?

Thanks guy :):)

HD

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
if you like soulja boy, then you like soulja boi. am i ryt?

try downloading them
I never said I liked Soulja boy. I said I liked the beats in Kiss me Thru the Phone and one other. I was asking whether I'd expect more of that from the other songs in that album. Wake up

Scott!

Smash Lord
Just look his songs up on Youtube and check them out there if you aren't sure. That's easier and more helpful than various opinions of people with different tastes from yours.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Just look his songs up on Youtube and check them out there if you aren't sure. That's easier and more helpful than various opinions of people with different tastes from yours.
Yeah I already found out that I don't like souljaboy

Snail

Smash Lord
Soulja Boy's lyrics mostly consist of about a hundred times "YOOOOOUUUUUUUU" per song.

No, his albums are not good. In fact he lacks any talent whatsoever >_>

his songs are just catchy in my opinion people can't really get mad at him he makin money by havin fun look at most of his songs seriously "turn my swag on" and "donk" are serious song titles but they are catchy as heck so i applaud him LOL

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I have listened to the bands were they just srceam and enjoyed it and understoood the meaning and his song= a 100% pointless song? it isn't even about nothing or random but somehow they a song that if a 100% pointless in everyway.

I like bananaphone a lot more

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I gotta be honest, I lose some respect for someone if they tell me they like Soulja Boy. His stuff is some of the worst non-music I've ever heard.

BlublacMH

Smash Apprentice
Soulja Boy sucks as a rapper really. He should just stick to making up dances. His lyrics suck and his swagg is weak, he isnt made to be a serious rapper. Just download his singles, the rest of his album isnt worth it.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Didn't Soulja Boy himself say his music was bad?

Spire

III
BRoomer
Soulja Boy is beyond awful.

And the Stanky Leg? I really have a hard time accepting that it exists. I remember my initial reaction upon first hearing about it: "are you f*cking kidding me?" It was like hearing Billy Mays was dead. I just could not and did not want to believe it.

Truly, I hate trash noise like this.

Dayzin

Smash Journeyman
Soulja boy is horrible...he's one of the reasons I switched to underground hip-hop and other genres.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Soulja Boy is a pathetic joke and makes the hip-hop community look bad. And this is coming from an avid fan of rap music.

He is, like many other mainstream rappers, the cancer killing hip-hop. I never understood how this f*cking garbage gets attention and praise and real underground artists like Immortal Technique and BootCamp Click don't get any recognition for their stuff. Or at least not to a degree which they certainly deserve.

There's only so much you can brag about swagger, money, and the same stupid trash over and over again. It's all wannabe, lame crunk pop-music consisting of no lyrical talent whatsoever.

I liked how this thread turned out. I felt like I was being trolled until I read you listened to his songs and didn't approve.

F*ck mainstream rap. Besides Eminem, Dr. Dre, and maybe three other individuals who used to be good back in the day, it's absolute garbage and makes me hate B.E.T. and MuchMusic more and more.

I can't understand how people like and listen to this sh*t. These mainstream artists are f*cking stupid and I would jump them if I ever catch them in my 'hood.

Stupid 13 year teenagers who live in $500,000 dollar houses.

UNDERGROUND HIP-HOP ALL DAY.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Soulja Boy is a pathetic joke and makes the hip-hop community look bad. And this is coming from an avid fan of rap music.

He is, like many other mainstream rappers, the cancer killing hip-hop. I never understood how this f*cking garbage gets attention and praise and real underground artists like Immortal Technique and BootCamp Click don't get any recognition for their stuff. Or at least not to a degree which they certainly deserve.

There's only so much you can brag about swagger, money, and the same stupid trash over and over again. It's all wannabe, lame crunk pop-music consisting of no lyrical talent whatsoever.

I liked how this thread turned out. I felt like I was being trolled until I read you listened to his songs and didn't approve.

F*ck mainstream rap. Besides Eminem, Dr. Dre, and maybe three other individuals who used to be good back in the day, it's absolute garbage and makes me hate B.E.T. and MuchMusic more and more.

I can't understand how people like and listen to this sh*t. These mainstream artists are f*cking stupid and I would jump them if I ever catch them in my 'hood.

Stupid 13 year teenagers who live in $500,000 dollar houses.

UNDERGROUND HIP-HOP ALL DAY.
Yeah man everyone who posted in this thread has reached a similar conclusion.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Quick, someone get Xiivi in here. Hopefully he namesearches.

I really don't mind Soulja Boy. He's making music that people obviously like. He's more successful than any of us will probably ever be, that alone gives me more than enough reason to not hate the guy. He's doing something he loves and it's working for him.

I just can't say I'm a fan, I don't like a lot of hiphop outside of Lupe.

FrancisM2DaIzH

Smash Cadet
Personally I HATE soulja boy! i also have a strong hate for lil wayne and most of todays hip hop. Everyone should go back to great artists like Biggie Smalls, The Beatles, Tupac, Pink Floyd, Big L, Wu Tang, MJ. 90 percent of todays music in my opinion is garbage. but hey thats just me

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Quick, someone get Xiivi in here.
Thank you for the invitation. I guess it's time for me to explain some **** for you guys so you understand the world a little bit better.
---
One of the main problems with DeAndre Way, or Soulja Boy Tell 'Em (his full stage name), comes from the on-going mislabeling of musical genres in the music industry today.

Time and time again, the music industry carelessly throws around genres based on whatever they feel like. It's truly haphazard nowadays. You'd be hard pressed to convince anyone paying attention Sean Kingston's "Fire Burning (On the Dancefloor)" or Flo Rida's "Sugar ft. Wynter Gordon" are Hip-Hop/Rap songs and not bubblegum pop songs.

So, back to our friend DeAndre. Mr. Way has provided us with quite a diverse set of albums actually. However, thanks to the case I mentioned before, you'll often see the entirety of these albums labeled as Hip-Hop/Rap. This is a terrible, terrible misuse of the whole genre system and comes from a few misconcepts that occur in the music industry today.

One being that all black people are incapable of creating music outside of the Hip Hop, Rap, and R&B genres. I don't know why everything attached to Flo Rida needs to be labeled as Rap simply because he sings his verses quickly. His 'rapping' is closer to Savage Garden than it is to Nas. That's for sure. And don't even get me started on how 3OH!3 somehow got labeled as an 'Alternative' band.

The second misconception is that all songs from a CD (and sometimes artist) MUST be of the same genre. You could put a demo track of LoveGame, Second Chance, and D.O.A. (Death of Auto-Tune) on the same CD sung by the same demo artist, and have it labeled the same genre for each song.

Well then, now that these have been explained, let's get back to Soulja Boy. One of the biggest complaints I see is that 'He's the cancer that's killing Hip-Hop & Rap!'. Well, that's because (while present) there is very little Hip-Hop and Rap found on his CDs.

A large majority of his music actually falls into the 'Snap' genre. One that finds stylistic orgins in both Hip-Hop and Disco. The music industry today was quick to toss this into the Hip-Hop/Rap category (anything that is Hip-Hop must also be Rap at the same time!) and run with it after hearing Crank That (Soulja Boy). I'd place Snap closer to Pop than I would Hip Hop even.

So this is where the problem emerges. The music industry is attempting to convince their audience that this is Hip-Hop/Rap and those who actually expect these genres will find the music an awful representation of the music they expect to listen to. However the majority of the populace does not have a strong affinity towards any single type of music (although many will try to convince you otherwise, they have wider tastes than they'd like to let on.), and will thus not pay attention to this and simply enjoy the song.

For those interested, the best representations of 'Snap' found on Soulja Boy's discs, SouljaBoyTellEm.com and iSouljaBoyTellEm, would come from the following tracks:
Crank That (Soulja Boy)
Snap and Roll
Let Me Get Em
Donk
Bird Walk
Gucci Bandana
Hey You There

Particularly Gucci Bandana, which is definitely Snap at its finest. Many won't be able to appreciate the song for what it is when they are walking in expecting a hot Hip Hop or Rap track. However, if you are open, you'll be able to enjoy the music for what it is.

Soulja Boy is not tied down to Snap alone although. He actually has a very diverse set of genres spread across his tracks. You'd have a hard time explaining to me a logical reason why Kiss Me Thru the Phone isn't a Pop song. He's ventured into that genre a few times (not to mention with Snap being close to the genre already):
Yahhh!
Kiss Me Thru the Phone
SouljaBoyTellem

However he has taken his stab at the Hip Hop and Rap genres, and the results aren't as bad as many would like to make (Do you know how many actual rappers have done their own remix of Turn My Swag On?). Here's some examples for you all:
I'm Bout Tha Stax (Intro)
Turn My Swag On
P.O.W.

He's even gone ahead and made a commendable stab at R&B with the track "Soulja Girl".

Overall, DeAndre still has a lot of room to grow. He's exploring his own ability and is hopeful of coming back stronger with The DeAndre Way after the poor reception of iSouljaBoyTellem (thanks to a poor move from the industry wanting to market him as a dance-craze artist by wasting time with Birdwalk instead of focusing on solid tracks such as Kiss Me Thru the Phone and Turn My Swag On).

There's your daily dose of Soulja Boy for ya'll. ;)

RDK

Smash Hero
If you like to Soulja Boy, please kill yourself.

Go listen to some Immortal Technique or something, stupid 15-year-olds and their ****ty music.

rhan

Smash Hero
Is this a serious question?

I'd rather listen to Miley Cyrus.

Soulja boy and Plies are the death of hip hop.
Plies is good if you actual listen to what he says. I personally don't like his semi racist attitude towards white people but he has made a few features in songs that I can relate to. Mainly "Single Again (Remix)". Seriously if you want death to hip hop Souljaboy is number 1 next to Rick Ross.

teeman92

Smash Lord
Pensacola, FL. That place that Tristen de Luna fou
Personally I HATE soulja boy! i also have a strong hate for lil wayne and most of todays hip hop. Everyone should go back to great artists like Biggie Smalls, The Beatles, Tupac, Pink Floyd, Big L, Wu Tang, MJ. 90 percent of todays rap music in my opinion is garbage. but hey thats just me
this this this this THIS!! ^^^^^

i mean i noticed that the hip hop/rap is losing the lyrics, the poetry like rhyme, those iambic stuff.

Melfice z

Smash Ace
wow.. ive got too many things to say now XD

plies isnt whats killing hip hop, hes actually a decent lyricist, (if thats how you spell it) but hearing him rap about sex 99.9% of the time does get really... dull -.-

Youd be wrong to say lil wayne is horrible/cant rap, hes borderline... but still not half of what everyone makes him out to be. its actually quite frustrating

HIP-HOP IS NOT DEAD. its just not on the radio :p you really have to break through the media bull**** but ive found real, good rap/hip hop easily on music on demand, certain radio stations, etc.

Rhan, miley Cyrus??? that may be a tad extreme, my friend ;)
Also, whats wrong with rick ross the BOSS?

and now for my synopsis:

Do not buy soulja boy's album. If anything, download your favorite singles that hes made. Thats all youll get out of the album anyway XD While people categorizing his work as rap/hip-hop is obviously incorrect, you cant hate on him for that. Hes been really sucessful and people like his stuff. can you blame him for sticking to what works? I mean look what happened to lil' wayne (prom queen LOL). So in short, no. ;) if you dont like him, good. If you dont like him, dont worry about him! I dont like country but im not ranting about it all the time :(

Top Bottom