• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are Project M Recoveries too good?

Are PM Recoveries Too Stronk?

• Total voters

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
At least you can edge guard fox's up B. I mean with others, it's more of a gamble and a lot more of a risk.

Sheiks isn't as bad as m2's
Are you crazy, if edge guarding anyone's recovery is a gamble, it's fox. Firefox above the stage? You pretty much have to guess where he's going. No extra landing lag and easy to sweetspot the edge from above, guess wrong and he either gets the edge for free or center stage for free. Granted, some characters can prevent him from finishing start-up of his up-b with good projectiles to cover options, but that's not the case for everyone.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
And the landing lag on Fox's up-B is absolutely ridiculous.

SAKURAI WHAT WERE YOU THINKING

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Are you crazy, if edge guarding anyone's recovery is a gamble, it's fox. Firefox above the stage? You pretty much have to guess where he's going. No extra landing lag and easy to sweetspot the edge from above, guess wrong and he either gets the edge for free or center stage for free. Granted, some characters can prevent him from finishing start-up of his up-b with good projectiles to cover options, but that's not the case for everyone.
Were we speaking melee , i would agree, fox upb was a lapse in judgement. In pm there are a plethora of characters that destroy the pause it takes for him to up b. Pit dk diddy Kong DDD jigglypuff link marth mewtwo. Not to mention characters like Samus falco sheik and Roy that aren't terrible at edge guarding him. I acknowledge in melee it was stupid, in pm it is just an ordinary recovery, initial pause characters shouldn't have too much lag after landing on top of that, the punish window is when they do the move. Example fox upb diddy upb . Now if it was as instant as marth or g&w with no land lag, that would be a problem.
At least in pm fox has some unfavorable matchups, and marth vs fox has improved for marth with fox nerfs and loss of light shield.

Last edited:

yohoos

Smash Apprentice
I really only have a problem with tethers as they just brainless recoveries that are super safe against most of the cast. As others have said, only certain characters can really punish tethers, safely at least. That and maybe give more ending/landing lag to good recoveries making them easier to punish if they don't sweetspot the ledge. And if no nerfs are coming then at least bring everyone else's recoveries up to par.

Narpas_sword

I really only have a problem with tethers as they just brainless recoveries that are super safe against most of the cast. As others have said, only certain characters can really punish tethers, safely at least. That and maybe give more ending/landing lag to good recoveries making them easier to punish if they don't sweetspot the ledge. And if no nerfs are coming then at least bring everyone else's recoveries up to par.
i may be missing something here.

Which characters dont have the advantage when a tetherer is reeling in and auto hops while you hold the edge?

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
i may be missing something here.

Which characters dont have the advantage when a tetherer is reeling in and auto hops while you hold the edge?
He means the punish level that many characters can give off of that is severely weak in comparison to guessing correctly on other character's recoveries. Admittably the most I get is fair side b or down smash, so could see the aggrevation for others.
Tethers as a whole were made easier is a good idea I think, though many have complained since z tethers are optional, they should have a harder learning curve than up b or side b tethers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I seriously cannot believe that "Yes" is in the lead. People blow chunks when it comes to edgeguarding. There is so much more depth to offstage fighting in this game since you can go further out to hit your opponent and still make it back. But no, apparently a lot of people would prefer it if you could smack a character offstage and then just stand there taunting as they fall to their deaths. Yeah, that makes for real skillful, invigorating, interactive gameplay.

You guys suck.

Last edited by a moderator:

yohoos

Smash Apprentice
I seriously cannot believe that "Yes" is in the lead. People blow chunks when it comes to edgeguarding. There is so much more depth to offstage fighting in this game since you can go further out to hit your opponent and still make it back. But no, apparently a lot of people would prefer it if you could smack a character offstage and then just stand there taunting as they fall to their deaths. Yeah, that makes for real skillful, invigorating, interactive gameplay.

You guys suck.
I think you missed the point here. It's not that the recoveries travel too far a distance it's that they are too SAFE. I would love to see more edge play and whatnot but it's not "real skillful, invigorating, interactive gameplay" if people can return relatively unharmed 90% of the time, in fact that actually takes away the "depth to offstage fighting." IMO Melee currently has more depth to its offstage fighting than PM because you can actually go out there to gimp people by reacting fast to their recovery option. It's not too exciting when I'm forced to basically sit around and watch someone like lucas tether-in knowing I can't do JACK because tethers are near impossible to punish effectively with several characters. I will admit however, that SOME edgeguards can still be improved because the metagame is so young.

And if for some reason the PMBR approves of super safe recoveries, then at least buff the weaker recoveries to balance out the roster.

D

Deleted member

people can return relatively unharmed 90% of the time.
The only reason you would see your opponent return unharmed 90% of the time is because you are either being predictable with your edgeguarding and/or you are just not very good at edgeguarding in general.

I'm tired of people asking for nerfs to characters (barring their own mains because bias) rather than admitting that the problem is with them.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
@SmasFromThePast

i don't agree with you but i'm trying to be reasonable, but you really don't give any good reasoning or examples that help prove your point

claiming that people are just bad at edgeguarding and that all they want are easy edgeguards is pretty....baseless

i could just as easily counter your argument by saying that people's onstage-game are just bad and all they want are easy and safe recoveries so that they can make it back everytime.

baseless claims = opinions

Whether you want to believe it or not, edgeguarding in Melee requires much more than just standing at the edge and taunting. I assure you that tactic won't work on M2K or Mango

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The people claiming that recoveries are too good are the ones who need to provide examples because they are the ones advocating for change. The burden of proof is on you, but so far the only reasons you and others who agree with you have provided are "tethers are braindead" and "they make it back 90% of the time!"

At this point, there is only one character whose recovery I feel should be looked into - Mewtwo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
The people claiming that recoveries are too good are the ones who need to provide examples because they are the ones advocating for change. The burden of proof is on you, but so far the only reasons you and others who agree with you have provided are "tethers are braindead" and "they make it back 90% of the time!"

At this point, there is only one character whose recovery I feel should be looked into - Mewtwo.
I'd say that Lucas's magnet stall lets him come back from waaaaaaaaayyyy too far away and still be able to tether. It should have diminishing returns on every use, kinda like when you use Roy's side-b to stall

yohoos

Smash Apprentice
Tethers are most definitely braindead recovery options, you don't have to judge when or where you do it as long as you are within tether range and you always snap to ledge so no aiming required. Edgeguarding can happen in a few ways. You can go out very far for a gimp, intercept the recovery move, or edge hog/ force on-stage recovery usually with landing lag or something to allow punishes. As far as tethers go, it generally takes away the latter two of the three edge guarding possibilities so that the only way most characters edge guard is by going out deep before the tether begins usually putting themselves at huge risks to do so. Characters with secondary tethers like lucas and samus don't even bother using UpB anymore, cause why give yourself more work when you can just have the game reel the character in for you.

Is it possible to intercept a tether? I'm sure it is and but the timing is very strict and highly character dependent. Not to mention when trying to intercept a tether, it's no longer an interaction between 2 players such as when someone is trying to figure out where Diddy/Fox is going to UpB but rather it's one player trying very hard to get the timing right against an automated recovery mechanic while the other player presses a couple buttons and hopes for the best.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
That's not how burden of proof works. No matter what your claim is you must provide evidence to support it. Don't act like saying "you guys r bad" gives you a free pass because it only makes you look stupid if you honestly think that is a sound argument.

I'll be back with a more detailed post about which recoveries are too good later.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Tethers are most definitely braindead recovery options, you don't have to judge when or where you do it as long as you are within tether range and you always snap to ledge so no aiming required. Edgeguarding can happen in a few ways. You can go out very far for a gimp, intercept the recovery move, or edge hog/ force on-stage recovery usually with landing lag or something to allow punishes. As far as tethers go, it generally takes away the latter two of the three edge guarding possibilities so that the only way most characters edge guard is by going out deep before the tether begins usually putting themselves at huge risks to do so. Characters with secondary tethers like lucas and samus don't even bother using UpB anymore, cause why give yourself more work when you can just have the game reel the character in for you.

Is it possible to intercept a tether? I'm sure it is and but the timing is very strict and highly character dependent. Not to mention when trying to intercept a tether, it's no longer an interaction between 2 players such as when someone is trying to figure out where Diddy/Fox is going to UpB but rather it's one player trying very hard to get the timing right against an automated recovery mechanic while the other player presses a couple buttons and hopes for the best.
I think the biggest issue with tethers is how non-committal they are. Tethers wouldn't be so bad if a tetherer couldn't detatch from the ledge and pick a different recovery option on a whim (think how Link can tether, see how you are grabbing the edge to intercept him, and before you do anything he can let go of the tether and upb).

Too many recoveries in PM give the tempo advantage with the recoverer and do not funnel the recovery decision making for the recoverer severely enough. Tetherers in particular maintain all of their options at almost all times.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
I think the biggest issue with tethers is how non-committal they are. Tethers wouldn't be so bad if a tetherer couldn't detatch from the ledge and pick a different recovery option on a whim (think how Link can tether, see how you are grabbing the edge to intercept him, and before you do anything he can let go of the tether and upb).

Too many recoveries in PM give the tempo advantage with the recoverer and do not funnel the recovery decision making for the recoverer severely enough. Tetherers in particular maintain all of their options at almost all times.
Which is why the only sound argument on tethers was that z tethers should have the same drawbacks as regular tethers. No one suggest making it harder for zss or olimar to tether, but many have a problem with Samus and link being able to do both with no commitment to either. I will probably have to play more good dual option characters before I choose a side, though it does sound like a free pass back to the stage. imo though, if they opt to nerf z tethers, toon link's tether can stay as is, it is a staple part of his recovery shenanigans and he needs some buffs over link.

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
So this may sound stupid, but... in conversations like this, generally the first thing I notice is that what is being discussed is not actually "defined" universally. In this case... where do you draw the line at too good? I think, for example, that most people could agree that someone shouldn't find it advantageous to be recovering, but how far down the list do you go until recoveries are okay? Should recovery be more or less a given, in the sense that someone should likely be able to recover without too much trouble, with the big problem being momentum belongs to the one who sent them recovering? Or should recovery itself be a very difficult skill, a guessing game where the recoverer is on the wrong side of?

I ask because usually half of these conversations will be people arguing because they didn't even agree on the above, and so one character's BS is another person's working as intended. And as much as I love watching people argue or discuss things, I tend to find that all being on the same page provides much more useful results.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I also don't like recoveries that give the recoverer complete tempo control. Things like mario upb wall jumping comes to mind, in addition to infinite magnet stalling with lucas. I don't like that weird pk freeze thing lucas can do out of hitstun or love jumping which can lead to pretty free recoveries. I'm not a fan of how little ending lag all these recoveries have that are hard to punish because of their massive range (diddy kong), and it's probably not right that pkt2 presents such a threat for people to challenge. I wish there was a way to turn down its kill power while still making it a hype combo ender. Maybe its ending blast could use less kill power.

D

Deleted member

That's not how burden of proof works.
Actually yes, it does. If you want something to change, you need to explain why you think it should change and provide solid reasoning. If you can't do that, then things are going to stay the same.

because it only makes you look stupid.
I don't think you are really in a position to be calling anybody stupid, buddy, since your post failed to provide evidence of anything. Come back with a more mature retort once you've gotten around to posting your list of complaints.

And if anybody wants me to go copy/paste my post about why people are awful at edgeguarding Zelda and have no right to whine about her recovery, I'd be happy to do that. It's a perfect example of this lazy edgeguarding mindset that a lot of Project M players seem to have.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
The collision detection values for many stages are being experimented with to make recovering even easier in the unoffical Summer Pack. You can hit a ceiling using your Up B and just slide up to safety.

If the PMBR goes ahead to make every aspect of getting on the ledge incredibly user friendly, even when you miss it which looks to be the direction they are going, then the ridiculous recoveries of some characters will need to be adjusted.

Why? For balance reasons. If you can't screw up even an imprecise recovery at low to medium percentages then it can't be so difficult for the opponent to edgeguard you. Risk vs. reward.

Last edited:

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace

I totally agree with this. I think something that could be a good fix is that if you use your z tether, you can't up-b afterwards. Then they would suffer the same drawbacks as characters with an up-b tether.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I also don't like recoveries that give the recoverer complete tempo control. Things like mario upb wall jumping comes to mind, in addition to infinite magnet stalling with lucas. I don't like that weird pk freeze thing lucas can do out of hitstun or love jumping which can lead to pretty free recoveries. I'm not a fan of how little ending lag all these recoveries have that are hard to punish because of their massive range (diddy kong), and it's probably not right that pkt2 presents such a threat for people to challenge. I wish there was a way to turn down its kill power while still making it a hype combo ender. Maybe its ending blast could use less kill power.
I'm cool with PKT2's killing power. You shouldn't get hit by that after a match or two, having played a fair amount of Ness players I've learned to judge when I can and can't intercept them. Once you know how long it goes and roughly how long Ness takes to shoot himself, it's very easy to punish, more so given the fact that you know for sure which direction he's going, unlike firefox or firebird.

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
Characters that get more than one ability refreshed after being hit are the worst culprits (ZSS, Lucario, maybe more idk).
Diddy Kong's recovery is ridiculously good. It's easy to smack away, but nearly impossible to actually stop him from eventually recovering unless he hits a blast zone. On top of that, it has one of the shortest endlags I've seen yet, meaning he can always opt to not go for the ledge and just go passed you straight onto the stage with little to no worry about being punished.
If all that weren't good enough for him, hitting him often results in a heat seeking barrel bomb that could potentially give him a free recovery if his opponent is hurt enough to flinch too much from it.
Tethers are stupidly easy to edgeguard with a few characters, but nearly impossible to edgeguard with most, and they also exist mostly on characters with already great recover options (ZSS, Samus, Lucas).

TL:DR
Yes, in most ways, they are too good. Brawl recoveries especially (Sonic, Diddy, Squirtle, Charizard, Lucario, ZSS, ugh)
EDIT: Being sent off stage should be a threatening time for you, no matter what. This game is essentially King of the Hill, you should be trying to stay on the hill, not treating off and on as the same situation.

Last edited:

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
For the record, ness's pkt2 knockback is around the same power as fox's sweep spotted. As a pikachu main, I found it easy to gimp ness because it kind of works like fox's, so I can do a low forward tilt and finish with an up air. Even better, that because he is floaty, you can kind of time yourself to get above ness so that when he does pk thunder, you can take the hit and his stock. Lucas is kind of dumb in that he basically has a down b that works like marth's, except he can do it more than once. If they could change it like that, it would make sense for the tether because lucas has a crappy mid air jump.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
I wish there was a way to turn down its kill power while still making it a hype combo ender. Maybe its ending blast could use less kill power.
Or perhaps just give Ness a different "hype combo ender"? Get rid of PK Flash, no one likes that move anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh and regarding PKT2 as a recovery option; it's not about how "easy" it is to intercept and / or edgeguard. The problem exists with the move's versatility and distance. Ness can just PKT2 until he's in a position where the opposing character can't punish, or the player using said character gets outplayed. I think that--recovery versatility and resilience--by itself is toxic to PM's metagame and should be looked into.

Also gonna piggyback on tether recoveries being cancerous as well. Whether or not it's part of the character's integral moveset (i.e, not mapped to Zair) is irrelevant, as the same principle of working around or even completely evading some edgeguard attempts is still unnecessary.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Or perhaps just give Ness a different "hype combo ender"? Get rid of PK Flash, no one likes that move anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh and regarding PKT2 as a recovery option; it's not about how "easy" it is to intercept and / or edgeguard. The problem exists with the move's versatility and distance. Ness can just PKT2 until he's in a position where the opposing character can't punish, or the player using said character gets outplayed. I think that--recovery versatility and resilience--by itself is toxic to PM's metagame and should be looked into.

Also gonna piggyback on tether recoveries being cancerous as well. Whether or not it's part of the character's integral moveset (i.e, not mapped to Zair) is irrelevant, as the same principle of working around or even completely evading some edgeguard attempts is still unnecessary.
Regarding ness, it is not bad enough that a random projectile can take your life line away. It isn't bad enough that you go at a predictable trajectory. It isn't bad enough that this move is even harder to sweet spot to the ledge than deep Kong, but you still want it to be nerfed? With all t:he triple option recovery characters ness is where it goes too far? Ignoring the fact that literally every disjointed attack hits him out of the move, what makes pk thunder 2 so o.p? IMO I actually think he should have a little bit more influence in the form of cancel points or holding back after hitting himself. Ness has been a bad character in three iterations, at least he is viable here, please don't ruin that lol.
In regards to its versatility, extremely rarely you will see it as a combo ender. Outside of that its about trying to make it sweet spot through sheer force of will or land cancel using yourself as bait to immediately djc bair.
If you try playing well with him for five minutes, you will want to switch to a (Relatively easier) character like fox or Lucas.

Last edited:

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Ness has been a bad character in three iterations, at least he is viable here, please don't ruin that lol…

If you try playing well with him for five minutes, you will want to switch to a (Relatively easier) character like fox or Lucas.

Before I frame a response, I just want to point out that both of these arguments are sort of meaningless when coming up with good design philosophy. Ness can be good without being obnoxious, and if his current toolset only makes him good or viable because he is obnoxious, than it should be redesigned. Personally, I think Ness is on the cusp of being a very very well designed character, but he could use a tiny bit more changing.

Secondly, something does not need to be “op” for it to be changed. It merely has to have a negative effect on the game. For example—pkfire is by no means op. But it is brainless, has very little differentiation as far as a skill ceiling, and its inherent strengths promotes players to optimally play campy and safe when any form of aggression is more or less worse than simply pkfiring form the air

Now, let me talk about what I like and don’t like about pk thunder 2. Allow me to number your points so its easier for me to respond to them.

1. Regarding ness, it is not bad enough that a random projectile can take your life line away. 2. It isn't bad enough that you go at a predictable trajectory. 3. It isn't bad enough that this move is even harder to sweet spot to the ledge than deep Kong, but you still want it to be nerfed? With all t:he triple option recovery characters ness is where it goes too far? 4. Ignoring the fact that literally every disjointed attack hits him out of the move, what makes pk thunder 2 so o.p? 5. IMO I actually think he should have a little bit more influence in the form of cancel points or holding back after hitting himself. Ness has been a bad character in three iterations, at least he is viable here, please don't ruin that lol.

In regards to its versatility, extremely rarely you will see it as a combo ender. Outside of that its about trying to make it sweet spot through sheer force of will or land cancel using yourself as bait to immediately djc bair.

PK thunder 2 is balanced around the following principles.
+During the startup of pkt1, he has a hitbox around his body
+Pk thunder Is much faster and can be maneuvered around with plenty of time to “stall” the startup at will
+pk thunder has a much longer tail, making pk barrier much more consistent and common. If an opponent tries to hit a ness doing regular recovery, it seems that 20-30% of the time, the pkt will prevent your knockback
+It has one of the longest distances of any recovery (especially linear recoveries)
+it has intangibility for frames 1-6
+does 25% and powerful knockback during frames 1-6, 21% moderate-high power from 7-14, low power from frames 15-31
+It is lagless if he hits the ground
+PKT2 is faster than it ever has been in a smash game
+ it has low lag if he is in special fall
+he can maneuver in the air freely when in special fall (unlike in any other smash game)

-It telegraphs itself with the angle of the pk thunder
-at no risk to the opponent, the stage will sometimes eat it (Yoshi’s story, brawl, smashville balloons)
-At high risk to the opponent, he may jump in its path to absorb it
-At low risk to the opponent, he may throw a projectile to kill the pkt
-There is startup (and therefore vulnerability) inherent in the pkthunder process
-Disjoints will hit a Ness in the middle of the pk thunder 2 animation
- You can’t sweetspot from the bottom with any reliability (sweetspotting from above can be replicated with practice)

Most characters with multiple recovery options have been cut down (diddy’s forward b doesn’t go as far, wario can’t side b into the wall as usefully, lucario can’t wall cling). I believe in the next patch, we will see more recoveries lose their insane versatility (I hope). With that said, its worth saying ness’s magnet IS a secondary recovery option as it stalls him and pushes him forward after a 2nd jump. On top of that, he has a MASSIVE second jump. In my opinion, I think every character has the tools to edge guard Ness. Because of how much he telegraphs, fast opponents can either jump at him before he gets a thunder off, or move to where he will be and throw a hitbox out there. Bigger opponents might opt to simply predict where ness will go and throw a massive disjoint out there (every big character has an adequate disjoint).

But my issue with how powerful pkt2 is at close range has to do with how it operates in combination with pk barrier. Good Risk and Reward dynamics dictate that if an opponent takes on a ton of risk, the reward should be massive. In this case, if an opponent chooses to get in ness’s face (and risk a stock if they are above 70%), they should get a big reward (i.e. knock ness far enough that he HAS to recover from below or outright die). Because of pkthunder’s reliability, very often, an opponent will get in ness’s face, hit him, at which point the pkt tail touches him, and the enemy is actually at a disadvantage because they are off stage, without a jump, without the tempo advantage, and they won’t be able toe get into position to properly edge guard ness again. This dynamic would be fine in my eyes if it wasn’t incredibly risky already for an opponent to try to bring the fight to Ness off stage.

I think with the massive distance, ability to stall his recovery, and the land cancelling aspects, pkt2 is versatile enough. It doesn’t need to reward you with free unintentional kills.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
While I ultimately disagree, I can at acknowledge the well thought out response and justification for wanting actions taken against pk thunder . This however is where my problem lies in it.
1. The slight invincible startup was put in to place to ensure that the pk thunder was not eaten up before even coming out. This keeps characters from just jumping near him till he hits up b.
2. The tail having a chance to save ness after being hit acts kind of like a safety line to ensure that since he only has one option, it is at least a decent option to recover.
3. Nobody likes pk fire, even when you SDI it is annoying. Even if not hit by it its annoying.
4. The time to edge guard ness is meant to be before he hits himself, or after frame 15 with disjointed attacks. While the ability to greatly influence where he falls is valuable, I believe moves that have initial startup (which is a risk) should be rewarded with minimum landing lag.
5. Again do appreciate you aren't mindlessly complaining and actually did homework on the move before complaining about it. That doesn't happen often here.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Regarding ness, it is not bad enough that a random projectile can take your life line away. It isn't bad enough that you go at a predictable trajectory. It isn't bad enough that this move is even harder to sweet spot to the ledge than deep Kong, but you still want it to be nerfed? With all t:he triple option recovery characters ness is where it goes too far? Ignoring the fact that literally every disjointed attack hits him out of the move, what makes pk thunder 2 so o.p? IMO I actually think he should have a little bit more influence in the form of cancel points or holding back after hitting himself.
Why are you ignoring how good Ness is onstage? Taking into account Zap Jump camping (well, PK Fire camping in general), this becomes of question of what's necessary and what isn't. If only the distance of PKT2 were to be changed--shortened, in this case, would it really have THAT much of an effect on how "bad" Ness is offstage? I would much rather give Ness the shaft in that aspect so there would be more room to change PKT2 where it matters, such as your aforementioned of idea of more control. Incidentally, shortening the distance of PKT2 would make keeping the initial explosion much more sensible.

Ness has been a bad character in three iterations, at least he is viable here, please don't ruin that lol.
I know that I'm strawmanning here, but: with or without the utility of PKT2, Ness' viability would remain the same, just saiyan. I mean... there's a reason why Awestin is currently the best Ness.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Ignoring the dbz abridged reference. Awestin being a good ness could be because he put in a lot of effort and practice hours into that character. Ness is one of the most technical demanding characters in the game suffering greatly against ranged characters and being outzoned. If it is a reward system based on difficulty then he should technically be the best character in the game.
And if Ness's viability would stay the same regardless, then why make the pm team spend extra time on a non busted character to appease mid-midupper level play. Though the cancel idea would be an OK change, though the distance of move would have to be cut some because of that.

TylerX5

Smash Apprentice
But my issue with how powerful pkt2 is at close range has to do with how it operates in combination with pk barrier. Good Risk and Reward dynamics dictate that if an opponent takes on a ton of risk, the reward should be massive. In this case, if an opponent chooses to get in ness’s face (and risk a stock if they are above 70%), they should get a big reward (i.e. knock ness far enough that he HAS to recover from below or outright die). Because of pkthunder’s reliability, very often, an opponent will get in ness’s face, hit him, at which point the pkt tail touches him, and the enemy is actually at a disadvantage because they are off stage, without a jump, without the tempo advantage, and they won’t be able toe get into position to properly edge guard ness again. This dynamic would be fine in my eyes if it wasn’t incredibly risky already for an opponent to try to bring the fight to Ness off stage.

I think with the massive distance, ability to stall his recovery, and the land cancelling aspects, pkt2 is versatile enough. It doesn’t need to reward you with free unintentional kills.
You don't even need to go for an attack dude, Literally all you need to do is jump at the pk bolt, get hit by it, and it will gimp Ness.

TylerX5

Smash Apprentice
one of the most technical demanding characters in the game
What is it with PM and people saying this? Pretty much anyone with a move that cancels into a jump is technically demanding and there are a lot of people in the cast like that. And of course the higher the lvl of game the higher the technical skill demanded.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Ignoring the dbz abridged reference. Awestin being a good ness could be because he put in a lot of effort and practice hours into that character. Ness is one of the most technical demanding characters in the game suffering greatly against ranged characters and being outzoned. If it is a reward system based on difficulty then he should technically be the best character in the game.
Ness is literally overcentralized around one move. Technical potential or not, that one move is what the character is best at abusing.
And if Ness's viability would stay the same regardless, then why make the pm team spend extra time on a non busted character to appease mid-midupper level play.
For the sake of good design. Were you here for 2.0/2.1 Sonic? He wasn't borked, but quite a few of his assets had to give for him to follow the direction in which PMBR wanted PM to go in. Many players could argue that 2.1 Ike and Lucario were healthy for PM's metagame (e.g, "we need Fox-level newcomers"), but they too were changed for the sake of design. Why should any other character be exempt from changes if they ride on bad design choices? Why should any player be complaining about or questioning the validity of PMBR's "wisdom" in hindsight? Why leave unnecessary recovery options in this game despite them, by the definition set, being "predictable" and "easy to edgeguard"?

Top Bottom