• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are cold hand johns a legit john?

Are cold hand johns a legit john?

• Total voters

C.SDK

Smash Ace
Loss of dexterity, in a game such as Melee, that requires the utmost dexterity, sounds like something that would affect your performance.

What do you think?

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
I voted no but I'll explain why. Had you said the venue your playing in was unreasonably cold then yes by all means legit john.

But if you decide to show up for a match late and just get there in the nick of time after being outside in the cold for a brief period of time long enough to get your hands cold, that's your own fault and poor decision making. NO JOHNS.

BrahmenNoodles

Smash Cadet
It depends on if you consider it a john.

Personally, I suffer from quite poor circulation in my forearms and hands, particularly on the right where I have a damaged finger from a very old, quite serious injury. My hands are virtually always cold, freezing to the touch if I were to touch a warmer body part. The winter time of year makes the whole situation particularly worse; they never really warm up (in a literal sense) and if they do, they do not stay that way for long. Even with staying indoors, my hands are invariably cold.

That being said, I've been doing various dexterous things with this condition for most of my life. Video games, guitar, what have you. I'm used to it. To me, I may consider it a factor in my performance at certain times, but from being used to it I never would outwardly use it as an excuse. If I suspect it will be an issue before hand, I do my best to get the circulation going and move on.

So to me, no, it is not a john, nor a 'legit' one. It is indeed an issue, probably encountered by most at some point or another, but it is up to them to decide if it's actually worthy of being used as a legitimate excuse.

TheLake

Smash Master
Its the only actual legit john

whoever feels other wise

will die a slow and painful death

Ove

Smash Journeyman
When having cold hands, it's impossible to play like you normally would. I'd say it is a legitimate john.

Beat!

Smash Master
Unless you were literally forced to go outside and subsequently forced to play your tournament matches without warm-up immediately after going back inside, having cold hands is your own damn fault and not a legit john.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
It's only a legit john if the player's hands were actually cold. If they suddenly say after a match that their hands were cold to justify their loss when their hands were perfectly fine, then it becomes an illegitimate john. That's just my opinion.

:phone:

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Yeah it really is honestly, in both the figurative and literal sense. Not being warmed up sucks but have you tried to play with freezin cold hands? It blows *** hahaha, my hands cramp up fierce in the cold.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
@ Moose 1, the venue was quite cold actually, the heat didn't kick on until a set time. i didn't have a problem, but my rival and sparring partner Life is anemic, had a hard time with it.

so depending on circumstances, it can be a legit reason for poor play

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
It depends on if you consider it a john or excuse.

Personally, I suffer from quite poor circulation in my forearms and hands, particularly on the right where I have a damaged finger from a very old, quite serious injury. My hands are virtually always cold, freezing to the touch if I were to touch a warmer body part. The winter time of year makes the whole situation particularly worse; they never really warm up (in a literal sense) and if they do, they do not stay that way for long. Even with staying indoors, my hands are cold.
I feel you man, I got ****ty *** circulation. I notice when playing games with my hands being held up its harder to pump blood to my extremities. Any PC shooter turn my hands to ice after an hout. That being said cold hands are only legit to ask for a minute to warm up. Once you get your blood pumping they warm up pretty fast and turn into sweaty hands. So no johns but legit enough for hand warmers.

BrahmenNoodles

Smash Cadet
I feel you man, I got ****ty *** circulation. I notice when playing games with my hands being held up its harder to pump blood to my extremities. Any PC shooter turn my hands to ice after an hout.:phone:
It sucks, doesn't it?! I spend most of free moments I have during FPS play flexing my hands to keep the blood flowing. My arms have to go upward to desk level too, but with a higher chair there would be no leg room :(

C'est la vie

dkuo

Smash Lord
I say they're legit but they don't affect me personally that much. But I understand how it might affect others a lot.

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
I vote yes. Having to walk to apex from about a mile away, to show up around 9:40am for them damn 10am melee pools was quite bad. My fingers were so cold and I would mess up the simplest tech skill (dash dancing, JC grabs). So ya

TheGoat

Smash Ace
No, you can always breath warm air on them and practice before your real match. The only legitimate john ever is a messed up controller.

dkuo

Smash Lord
^ some people take a really long time to get warm blood flowing in their hands, me being one of those people. after being outside for a few minutes in the cold, i can run my hands under warm water and have them warm for about a minute, but until my body temperature adjusts to being warm my hands go straight back to being cold and it can last for a really long time. same with my feet. i know im not the only person like this. everyone's physiology is different.

again cold hands don't really affect me *personally* but it can be pretty long-lasting for some people who may actually be hindered tech-wise.

of course given enough time it shouldn't be a legitimate john, and people who know they get cold hands should prepare proper attire before an important event AND avoid exposing hand to the air/holding cold objects (drinks etc). but if it's like...someone just showed up at a smashfest and playing their first friendlies of the day, cold hand johns are definitely legitimate.

Massive

Smash Champion
If your hands being cold is a circulation issue, it can take 10-20 minutes to get them completely warmed up. I know this because it happens to me pretty frequently. If my hands are at or above heart level for very long, they lose circulation and get very cold. My dexterity takes a dive and it becomes difficult to do fine motor tasks with any reliability. In the winter they get very dry, crack, and bleed like a mother****er. I am helpless to do much about it. I guess the only real bonus is that my hands don't sweat, ever.

I would definitely say it's a legitimate john though, I have before requested some time to get my hands at least partially warmed up when I was put on the spot about it. If I was forced to play with cold hands or did so unintentionally (can't tell sometimes until your fingers just don't work right, poor circulation=poor sensitivity), I can guarantee it would negatively affect my performance.

This is purely my anecdotal evidence though, it should in no way define anybody else's experiences.

Scar

#HarveyDent
I'm really not sure what a "legit john" is. I think that it's completely possible that a player could lose a match/set that they would normally win as a direct result of having cold hands.

But, I don't think that that player deserved to win that match if it were a tournament set.

IMO winning tournament sets is a combination of how well you can play, and how well you can set yourself up to play your best. So if you don't learn to keep your hands warm, that's going to end up affecting your sets and ultimately affecting your "skill" as a competitor.

tl;dr cold hands can cause players to lose sets, but playing a set with cold hands is a bad idea.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Whether or not the john is legitimate isn't relevant. The phrase is "No johns," not "Legitimate johns only."

Zodiac

Smash Master
this is legit, but hey, its up to you to keep your damn hands warm.

C.SDK

Smash Ace
Whether or not the john is legitimate isn't relevant. The phrase is "No johns," not "Legitimate johns only."
Interesting point. In fact, this whole "No johns" mentality is interesting to me. I sat here for about 5 minutes thinking of a way to rebut your point but as I pondered on it a bit more, I kept ending up in dead ends.

v4extreme

Smash Journeyman
Johns are by definition illegitimate. Like other people have already said you should wear gloves/get there early or whatever.

That being said it's borderline impossible to play with cold hands imo.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
It's legit in friendlies when you've just came in and started playing.

Not a legit tournament john though, it's your fault for not warming up when you know that there is a tournament.

stelzig

Smash Lord
I'm really not sure what a "legit john" is. I think that it's completely possible that a player could lose a match/set that they would normally win as a direct result of having cold hands.

But, I don't think that that player deserved to win that match if it were a tournament set.
This. So I voted "yes" in the sense that it does legitimately make you play worse.

Armada

Smash Lord
If the veneue was extremly cold (which basically never happens) yeah I guess it is a "legit john". People don't wanna hear it all the time though.

If the venue is alright then it is your own fault for sure.

Top Bottom