• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Apr 4, 2015] SWEET XX: A Super Smash Bros. Melee Tournament feat. Westballz! (East Lansing, MI)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i actually really hate smash 64, but most people disagree with me.

Tinkster

Smash Apprentice
im not saying 64 is a great tournament game(never tried it there), but playing with your friends, having a good time....the games pretty great for that.

and i was just saying in general, snuggleRob :p.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
Wrong place for this argument/discussion.

Smash is awesome. We all have our preferences. Get hyped for all of them in one place

Battlecow

Play to Win
I don't really play Brawl either. Not really relevant.
I guess you could have good reasons that don't require any sort of game knowledge

I'm just gonna pretend to myself that you hate edgeguarding and that's why you're opposed to 64

wait you're one of the people making PM, right? Lol my theory actually makes total sense

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I actually hate extended combos that lack any sort of meaningful player interaction, with which Smash 64 is filled. It's also why I hate Marvel.

ORLY

Smash Master
i have one little thing to square away before i reserve my seat in the chicago car

super salty about my low singles placing at SMYM

hungryyy

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I don't know about the players' perspective, but as a spectator, I find Smash 64 and its combos to be amazing to watch.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Smash 64 is GDLK.

The combos are brutal so the neutral game is everything. This is where the game's intensity comes from. Good DI can definitely help, but if you get hit, be prepared to be comboed to death or extremely close to it. The difference of opinion on the game is ultimately a matter of preferred level of intensity. Brawl is far more relaxed because if you mess up, its whatever just return the game to neutral. In 64 you have to be fully engaged at all times because if you slip up, there goes a stock.

"DONT GET HIT" - Isai

Rat

Smash Lord
Gotta back out last minute. I have work i need to get done this weekend.

Sorry for the super grimey last minute bail-out. (And confirming the Chicago grime-factor.)

I hope PM can still be run =(

JTsm

Smash Master
I don't know about the players' perspective, but as a spectator, I find Smash 64 and its combos to be amazing to watch.
Pretty much this.
Even if the game seems primitive, it's still so much fun to watch.

Dopey

Smash Lord
sooooo whos going to this from lansing/east lansnig either friday (today) or early tmrw morning? ;D

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
I'll be attending and bringing a PM setup if we need it... I have an HD tv though :/ if the lag is a concern... Do we still need setups? I figure worst come to worst we could use if for friendlies.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
We absolutely need setups, but leave the HD TV at home, it won't work for our purposes due to lag.

If you can manage to bring a CRT TV, then you'd qualify for the $5 discount.

Roller

Smash Legend
Smash 64 is GDLK.

The combos are brutal so the neutral game is everything. This is where the game's intensity comes from. Good DI can definitely help, but if you get hit, be prepared to be comboed to death or extremely close to it. The difference of opinion on the game is ultimately a matter of preferred level of intensity. Brawl is far more relaxed because if you mess up, its whatever just return the game to neutral. In 64 you have to be fully engaged at all times because if you slip up, there goes a stock.

"DONT GET HIT" - Isai
Moneymatch. Screw up against me in Brawl. Then I'll screw up against you in 64.

Whoever punishes harder wins.

zyth

Smash Lord
welp with brawl bein at 1 i doubt ill make it in time since i get off at 1:30. I'll still come but doesnt look like i'll be entering

JTsm

Smash Master
I wish there was a specific time for P:M. Then I don't have to guess when to go.. lol.

W.C.N

Smash Lord
Is it after brawl or after brawl and something else? Brawl should be done by 1:45 as long as Loe1 doesn't have to face roller or m2k twice

RyeJew

Smash Journeyman
I'm free to team with someone halfway decent for melee doubles, if I arrive at a decently early time..
Looking forward to some fight from ya Canadians~

Top Bottom