• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Apr 19, 2014] No Johns Monthly! April 19th!! Project M ! (Nanuet, NY)

Scar

#HarveyDent
Shaking hands is a great sign of sportsmanship but everyone is different and that's the way Eggm is, I don't judge him for it and the post he just made is definitely in good sportsmanship... you can't ask for too much bro, you got mad props from basically everyone there so it really shouldn't be a big deal.

Plz guys let's not divide the scene, tristate Melee is the best in the world right now IMO so let's just keep it all chill.

Venom NY

Smash Lord
nah son im definetly coming =] yo someone get at me in gears son =]
and or any other game i have lol...also someone help me get the rust of with some melee huh?
any takers?

Cia

das kwl
DBR, I was hoping you guys would consider hosting a tournament using a 3 on 3 format.
Super Battle Opera, a major fighting game championship held every year in Japan, continues to use the format for certain games. It is not only SBO that uses the format though, many street fighter tournaments, in Japan and the US, use the format.

There are several advantages to the 3 on 3 format. One is that it provides character diversity. The rules state that no more than 1 of the same character per team, and that the players of each team must use the same character throughout the entire tournament. Therefore, the 3 on 3 format adds another level of depth in character choice. Low tier characters become more powerful when their obscurity is backed up by a solid high tier power.
The format also has potential to be a tremendous crowd pleaser. The crowd that a high profile match draws is always a wonderful, unique experience. When these high profile matches are played back to back, with a team of great players, the experience will only be more powerful.

Ultimately, it is one more experience for smashers to share. When the tourney is said and done, the crews will be talking about their performance and amazing moves they watched others pull off. They will talk about the nihonjin-style 4 to 1 stock come backs, the wombo combos, the DSF beating Ken upsets. Maybe, they will also talk about the amazing team of player X, Y, and Z, and how the final battle was nothing but 10 minutes of the most amazing, diverse, high level play they have ever seen. Maybe being on a team with their crew will bring them all a little closer together, and not just as smashers, but as people.
we should try this. seriously, it sounds amazing

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
I'm in need of a permanent, reliable partner who doesn't mind teaming with a low tier main user, likes doubles alot, and enjoys his/herself with the game. I say this because I'm most of the time left in the dust for a teammate. Everyone always got someone they can go to for teaming. I'm really tired of teaming with random people all the f*cking time. Doubles is the only reason I've been playing Melee all these years and its getting wack for me. I understand some people have their permanents but still team with other people sometimes or once in a while. I feel like I suck at this game because no one ever asks if they wanna team with me for the next or following tournament. Although then I see those people randomly teaming with someone else they don't usually team with.

Anyway, Happy Quit Life New Year's everyone.

Cia

das kwl
i'm not that big on teams, but i do like to enter and i'm pretty good at it. But it's like everyone is paired off except me and Teco doesn't team with me anymore.. so if you want to try teaming with me, let me know.

Eggm

Smash Hero
You've stayed for crews before, you do bring mad setuos for that im grateful, you wouldnt even shake my hand after though. Thats why i was pissed. And splitting to third, i wouldve played for placing regardless.and i didnt say the same thing. I said i shouldve camped more because you outcamped me. Not that i was bored. I said i was impatient. When you say my heart wasnt in it and oh ig ot bored, that really shoots down any win. Like oh you won congrats but i was sandbagging. Etc. Plus u should just stayyy for crews bc i waat to play friendlies with u =/ but at least shake my hand jeeze.
I shook your hand immediatley aftewards just not the 2nd time when you were standing like 5 minutes after the set finished. At that point I wanted to try a MM with my fox which you refused so I didn't shake ur hand the 2nd time. RIGHT after the set ended tho we shook hands if you forgot.

Edit : I stayed for crews the very first time and the times that I didn't drive myself so i had to stay late. I shouldn't even have to defend not staying for crews, its my decision. My family wakes up mad early and I have no where else to sleep so I choose to sleep than play poorly when tired in crews.

Also on splitting I don't know why your upset I didn't split top 3. I had something to prove since you beat me at the last tournament and me and hbk have a friendly rivarly going on, I wanted to play you both. If anything you should be thanking me for keeping the competitive spirit alive and giving you your first real win. If we had split and played for placing then you won itsn't a real win IMO. Your posts were very offensive to me and not called for IMO.

Not to mention I helped keep the NY scene alive when everyone was brawling bringing you all to mad tournaments and keeping you interested and not charging gas at all. Money has nothing to do with why I didn't want to split. I felt like you guys were creeping in on my status at the top and I wanted to prove I was still better. If money mattered sooo much I would have charged everyone for gas and lots of other things. Everything I do is to keep the community getitng better competitive and bigger and last longer cause I love the game.

And yeah scar tristate *****. Honestly I think our reigon is the absolute best without question.

BrawlLover

Smash Champion
I'm in need of a permanent, reliable partner who doesn't mind teaming with a low tier main user, likes doubles alot, and enjoys his/herself with the game. I say this because I'm most of the time left in the dust for a teammate. Everyone always got someone they can go to for teaming. I'm really tired of teaming with random people all the f*cking time. Doubles is the only reason I've been playing Melee all these years and its getting wack for me. I understand some people have their permanents but still team with other people sometimes or once in a while. I feel like I suck at this game because no one ever asks if they wanna team with me for the next or following tournament. Although then I see those people randomly teaming with someone else they don't usually team with.

Anyway, Happy Quit Life New Year's everyone.
Are you serious? Why would you think that man, you are like ****. If I lived closer, I'd be your teams partner, cause I like teams A LOT, but since we'll never play with each other, it wouldn't really make sense.

R3N0

Smash Lord
I shook your hand immediatley aftewards just not the 2nd time when you were standing like 5 minutes after the set finished. At that point I wanted to try a MM with my fox which you refused so I didn't shake ur hand the 2nd time. RIGHT after the set ended tho we shook hands if you forgot.

Edit : I stayed for crews the very first time and the times that I didn't drive myself so i had to stay late. I shouldn't even have to defend not staying for crews, its my decision. My family wakes up mad early and I have no where else to sleep so I choose to sleep than play poorly when tired in crews.

Also on splitting I don't know why your upset I didn't split top 3. I had something to prove since you beat me at the last tournament and me and hbk have a friendly rivarly going on, I wanted to play you both. If anything you should be thanking me for keeping the competitive spirit alive and giving you your first real win. If we had split and played for placing then you won itsn't a real win IMO. Your posts were very offensive to me and not called for IMO.

Not to mention I helped keep the NY scene alive when everyone was brawling bringing you all to mad tournaments and keeping you interested and not charging gas at all. Money has nothing to do with why I didn't want to split. I felt like you guys were creeping in on my status at the top and I wanted to prove I was still better. If money mattered sooo much I would have charged everyone for gas and lots of other things. Everything I do is to keep the community getitng better competitive and bigger and last longer cause I love the game.

And yeah scar tristate *****. Honestly I think our reigon is the absolute best without question.
I agree Eggm, you're completely right.

I'm 100% wrong.
I have no idea why I posted that crap.
My Vag must've been sandy.

Sorry eggms.

Alukard

Smash Hero
updated thread with next date ... i hope lots of peeps can make it still =]

BTW wat do u people think about doing that stuff forward said ... having a team of 3 and with different characters like a mini crew battle thing ... but it has to b 3 different chars .... lemme kno people i can definitely do that =]

Cia

das kwl
forward said:
VaNz said:
Hey, i wanted to ask if you could tell me specifically how each tournament round would work with your ruleset. We want to try it in a tournament and if we get a good response from it, we're going to make it a regular event and post vids with commentary, and try to popularize it. So if you could give me some specifics, that would be great. Thanks
Hey, I'm glad to hear that you are interested in the idea. Let me tell you what I had in mind.

3 people sign up as one team, and they each choose one character that they will use throughout the entire tournament. Therefor, a team will always use the same 3 characters throughout the tournament, and you cannot have more than one of the same character per team.

So for example, if Me, Zelgadis, and King all teamed up, and used Falco, Fox, and Jiggs respectively, then that would be our team for the entire tournament. I'm not sure if there should be a set order. Teams could either decide who goes first at each round, and counter pick accordingly. Or they can be forced to use one order throughout the tournament. The option to counter pick would probably be more appealing to most people.

So each round between teams is like a crew battle. I think there could be several ways to do this. You could do 3 stock matches, and then your stocks replenish after each match. Or you could do 4 stocks, and once you lose a stock, it is gone for that entire round, like the traditional crew battles. Or you could even do 4 stocks each, and the stocks replinish after each round. I like this idea the most, since it ensures that each match will be a lengthy one, however time constraints might make it hard.

Considering time constraints, round should only be best of one. Games will be between 3-5 matches, so it is already long enough.

Stage rules could also be done several ways, but this is what sounds most appealing to me. Only neutral stages will be used. The first round is random, but each person can strike a stage to play on. The next player that comes in counter picks a neutral stage against the winner of the previous match.

If you had any ideas for the rules I'd love to hear them as well.
ok so this is the ruleset he gave me. it's sounds sooo frickin good. we gotta try it. oh and i vote we do it crew battle style where you come in with the stock you lost.

R3N0

Smash Lord
this is the same ruleset like in other fighters that have crew battles.. for instance Guilty gear and street fighter "crews"

since hp replenishes, its not like stock.

however, it'd pretty much be 3 man crews that have to stay their character. I don't mind that.. for a funsies tourny.

to make it fair though, u have to draft captains.

unless u just wanna do whatever lol.

Cia

das kwl
Hmm.. i like Reno's draft captains idea. That sounds cool for a bi-weekly. but for a larger tournament, people should definitely be aloud to select their own teams. Either way, we should try both at different times. this is gonna be hot

.. and lol at my sig. it's definitely doing the single ladies LOLOL

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Next one is on my birthday. I have plans to go to a bar in Philly on saturday night, but I would love to do singles and doubles. I doubt I could stay for crews.

R3N0

Smash Lord
WHO KNOWZ!! i dont think im gonna make it to the one on the 10th. lol..

DCScribZ

Smash Apprentice
That 3 on 3 idea sounds really fun. Although, there could still be stage counterpicking if the crew rule carries over that allows character switching upon the stage counterpick.

Alukard

Smash Hero
That 3 on 3 idea sounds really fun. Although, there could still be stage counterpicking if the crew rule carries over that allows character switching upon the stage counterpick.
thats a good question dc ... but sadly i dont have the answer lol

my guess would b no character switching ... but it stays on random the whole time ... like the solid 3 neutrals

Cia

das kwl
Hmmm, we can iron out those details tmr.. i can't even think right now.. lolz

but i'm sooo hyped for this. This holiday season is ****ing amazing with all these melee tournaments. :)

HannahMontana

Smash Rookie
Hannah Montana here. I'd like to come to one of these events, however, since I am a superstar, I should not be charged for venue fee.

Alukard

Smash Hero
Hannah Montana here. I'd like to come to one of these events, however, since I am a superstar, I should not be charged for venue fee.
definitely dont care who u are ... u paying that 10$ ... especially since i think ur music and show sucks more **** then ... well urself

dam i'm in a bad mood

LOL

or i like bashing anonymous'

Top Bottom