• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

APEX Staff Releases Statement Regarding Alex Strife Controversy

I just got introduced to the Smash community last year around when Nintendo began helping out the scene. Leading up to Apex, I saw a couple of comments about Alex once in a while and how much of a jerk he apparently is. Never expected something like this to happen. It's good to see he's been caught and taken down. What I read about him on Reddit was absolutely terrible.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Instead of talking about video games and the competitive scene (y'all should know there are far more important things in life than those), how about discussing on what y'all think they should do with this Strife guy. I mean just because he has stepped down from his duties at Apex 2015 doesn't mean he's gonna get away with it.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Instead of talking about video games and the competitive scene (y'all should know there are far more important things in life than those), how about discussing on what y'all think they should do with this Strife guy. I mean just because he has stepped down from his duties at Apex 2015 doesn't mean he's gonna get away with it.
That is up to the victims. We can't cause them to take action unless it is what they want.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Funny how The Derrit said "built around a love of our game series, Nintendo, and each other." Most people like only one or two of the games and hate the rest. People here never shut up about Nintendo and Sakurai's design choices, and people here never shut up about each other.
We're just people..

Who need to grow up. :glare:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I am not insinuating anything. I don't have an opinion on this one way or the other. Learn to read. Yet, at least I am not the ******* pretending allegations are facts. ;)
Get over yourself. None of the allegations are false.

Go ahead and try to tell me that something that happened to me in real life is only an "allegation", and I'll tell you what those pants on your head means about your critical thinking capacity.

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
Alex Strife has back-stabbed many people. He was rude and arrogant. This comes as NO surprise to me or to anyone brave enough to attempt to work with him. I have seen first hand his attitude towards people.

My question is why this wasn't addressed earlier? I know who the victim was who brought light to this, and it's terrible to think that for 4+ years this person (Strife) was able to get away with this.

I feel no sympathy for anyone but the victims. That ******* stepping down was light punishment IMO, and trust me the **** he pulled on me gives me enough of a right to speak out.

Apex tourney series should have responded to this sooner. The growing allegations are not doing the brand image any favors, coupled with terminal issues that have cultivated over the last few years. My question is this: why wait for so long to act? It comes across like this is an attempt to save a brand image (politically correct) and not a genuine attempt at justice. My opinion is my opinion that is all, but I do not like what happened to these women, not one bit.

Last edited:

TheArabSamurai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheArabSamurai
3DS FC
5172-1967-5562
The community is so supportive of everyone, only been a part of the community for a year or so and I certainly don't regret joining, the reactions just further cements my stay here.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Let's hope we all won't be viewed negatively towards this issue.

It only takes that one guy. Kotaku's not helping our situation

bunch of gits

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Well, I feel sorry for the staff members and his closest peers that had to deal with all his madness. He's clearly one of the larger thorns within the community that is finally being removed. Good riddance.

Love how Milktea misses the point hard and trying to degrade his post into blind AS-hate propaganda. Does she always do this?

Last edited:

Squii The Fish

Smash Journeyman

bunch of gits
Kotaku? Pls no.

False SJW's who are in the clickbait industry and make money off of distorting impressionable young free thinkers can jump off a cliff.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
We've said our peace.
Now, the best thing that could happen is a sincere contrition and real change of character from Alex Strife, yet I somehow doubt this will happen.
Hopefully, this situation humiliates him enough to become humble, rather than even more arrogant.
People that continually disregard the rights of others are characteristically psychopaths. There is no known treatment for the condition; Additionally, humiliation does not teach empathy. They are separate things.

Get over yourself. None of the allegations are false.

Go ahead and try to tell me that something that happened to me in real life is only an "allegation", and I'll tell you what those pants on your head means about your critical thinking capacity.
Get over myself? I don't have any stake in this, nor have I put forth any kind of actual boasting. Before you haughtily quote me again claiming I said something egotistical, know that being skeptical isn't egotistical. Know that being neutral, or even undecided, isn't egotistical. Here are a bunch of people having waited until just days before Apex 2015 to make claims about Strife with his announcement to step down spread by Derrit, someone known to periodically stir the pot so to speak, on Smashboards. And not to mention some of these people apparently did some pretty bad things themselves by their own admission. Alex seemingly wasn't alone on the handling of international players, for example. Only stupid or amoral people get "guilt tripped" into doing something like that. Not to mention the number of people involved yet this behavior supposedly went on for years day in and out without repercussions.

Of what I have read, the most significant evidence, in my opinion, comes from Emily's blog post from five years ago. But it seems like nobody is interested in taking anything to the police at any point, just shaming Alex. If so, you are all handling this irresponsibly because simply bringing this to the public awareness doesn't solve the situation. Alex will continue to be the same person regardless of the humiliation. We can't just appoint someone to follow him everywhere in the future to make sure he doesn't sexually harass minors in other communities. If it is really this bad, the victims are morally obligated to bring Alex to justice or isolation. Using only social media is not the way to go.

Last edited:

Baky

Smash Journeyman
Purge his ass and those like him. Send a strong message to his kind.

Lets get back to smash, this drama isn't for our community.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

bunch of gits
Kotaku? Pls no.

False SJW's who are in the clickbait industry and make money off of distorting impressionable young free thinkers can jump off a cliff.
Their article was very supportive of the community's handling of this actually.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
If you want the community to grow and mature, the proper thing to do is not to "get over it" or "avoid the drama." The proper choice is to deal with the terrible aspects of our community in a mature and responsible manner. Alex Strife is far from the only misogynistic, sexual harassing, or cruel member of our community with some level of power. It's a good step forward to remove him from the Apex team. It's a better step forward to remove him and others like him from our community; do not allow them into our tournaments. Do not give them the time of day. We have a responsibility to make sure everyone in the Smash scene is treated with the equality and respect they deserve, and when we band together to display solidarity in a course of actions, that this behavior will never be tolerated or accepted, only then can we achieve that. When we see behavior like this, our reactions should be swift and immediate from now on. No more quiet tumblr blogs or twitter feuds that are ignored by people at large. People will either shape up or be excised as cancerous tumors that were eating us from within.

It's always surprised me when a TO has no idea for a plan on how to handle the existence of young players, women and non-cisgendered and the problems they may face. Make sure people are aware they can come to you about problems with harassment, and make it clear you will not tolerate anyone who does it. At large tournaments like Apex, there really needs to be a secure and discreet method of reporting possible incidents of violence and sexual harassment, and you need to make sure your competitors are aware of it. It's high time we got our acts together and acted like professionals.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
I did not know this kind of thing would happen! I've known Alex ever since I got into the community, and he was so kind to me! I saw him across the years, and I've grown fond of him.

Can't believe something like this would happen! Well, I guess I really did not know him on the inside.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
i never understand why some items on couldn't go competitive
Apparently you have never loss solely because the game gave the enemy a boon that cut down your options. Basically what I am saying is that you have never actually played with items on.

Latkes

Smash Rookie
At this time, Alex Strife will be stepping down from his duties at Apex. We will be moving forward with Apex 2015.

As it stands Apex 2015 is the largest Smash Brothers tournament ever and the Apex staff hopes to bring you the best experience we can.
Apex didn't so much release a statement as they did confirm an occurrence. Apologies and explanation not included, I guess. :ohwell:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Their reputation precedes them otherwise.

Cheers.
Well you can read it for yourself, it pretty clearly supports the handling given that Alex stepped down so soon after credible evidence surfaced and the community is 100% behind the victims. That's pretty much exactly what the "SJWs" want, so it seems unrealistic to think they'd react otherwise.

Heck, r/feminism is holding us up as an example of a good gaming community because of our handling of the harassment, I don't think anyone has the grounds to criticize our handling of this.

Last edited:

CJ14r43

Smash Cadet
NNID
chukswag
3DS FC
4854-6956-3319
Switch FC
SW-4733-8968-8769
Wait. Fill me in, and forgive me for living under a rock...what is going on?

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Well you can read it for yourself, it pretty clearly supports the handling given that Alex stepped down so soon after credible evidence surfaced and the community is 100% behind the victims. That's pretty much exactly what the "SJWs" want, so it seems unrealistic to think they'd react otherwise.

Heck, r/feminism is holding us up as an example of a good gaming community because of our handling of the harassment, I don't think anyone has the grounds to criticize our handling of this.
You misunderstand. I'm not against how they handled the situation. I'm against the majority of Kotaku's articles. One thing doesn't immediately change my impression of it.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
I hope not to offend anyone. But this Alex person just seems like a crazy homosexual. The dude was out of line though

richie137

Smash Cadet
I hope I will offend anyone but Alex Strife will deserved for what he gets. what he did in my eyes as a person, as a Christian and a volunteer/player, he will deserve for what he gets. I knew since he was in Fordham and I was in a different college.

Especially the way we view the world now and all the recent events not only here but in the world in general. Because of all this in general plus all the recent stuff I have seen here and in the world, plus CT being force down wrongly I need to step down from attending tournaments forever, I do not have the fire to continue on plus I am 29 just graduated from college and no job so far, there are more real issues out there. But as a community we need to do more for every gaming community in the world, here, FGC, Shooters, etc. I will not welcome him back because of that you never know, he can do anything and in light on recent events in the World, anything can happen. I am not going to APEX being its on Super Bowl Weekend and even no $$$, but now my own safety. Anyways, I feel this community will get stronger regardless. I will watching the final on that Monday, but I will be awesome tourney believe that.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I hope not to offend anyone.
Right up there with "I'm not racist but..."

If you're starting a statement with that the statement is probably dickish and you should reconsider your views, people don't usually preface non-dickish statements with something like that.

But this Alex person just seems like a crazy homosexual. The dude was out of line though
A guy sexually harasses women, MUST BE A CRAZY HOMOSEXUAL AMRIGHT? :awesome:

Seriously that makes 0 sense and to associate upstanding non-straight members of the smash community like myself with his atrocious behavior is ludicrous.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Getting real tired of all the BS posing about being such a loving, tolerant, and united community. Yeah, you guys are real compassionate as long as someone wants to play Melee exactly the way you want to. The moment someone mentions the blasphemies of items, equipment, or stages with scary moving parts though, the pitch forks and torches come out, and they don't get put away until that person is silenced.
While I wouldn't put Sexual Harassment on the same scale as "haters gonna h4te," I think you've got a good point. Not everyone is like this, to be perfectly honest, but the elitist attitude is something we need to rid ourselves. We should listen to others thoughts and respect their choice to play what they want.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Only stupid or amoral people get "guilt tripped" into doing something like that. Not to mention the number of people involved yet this behavior supposedly went on for years day in and out without repercussions.
This is such a wrong and awful thing to say.

Have you ever been sent awful messages about your social status, picked on for not fitting in, or been a victim of an emotionally abusive relationship? It's not easy to talk about with anyone, let alone when they threaten you with blackmail like Strife threatened Chibo.

You have a good post otherwise about reporting Lugo to the police (imo, he should be if only to for the safety of others, because he's escalating), but calling victims of emotional abuse and sexual harassment "stupid or amoral" people is not only wrong, but completely offensive and ignorant. It's not easy to speak out, and it's especially difficult when it's someone you know.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
Due to the violence and discrimination transgender people face (often from their own families) it's considered extremely wrong and dangerous to reveal someone's status as trans without their consent. Also, "work done" doesn't equal trans all the time. A person can still be trans without having had the surgery. (It's pretty rude to talk about how you can "spot them" as well.)
I think no matter what I said you would have thought it was rude. I could care less if you think what I said was rude because I know it wasn't intentionally being rude. You still didn't answer my question.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
This is such a wrong and awful thing to say.

Have you ever been sent awful messages about your social status, picked on for not fitting in, or been a victim of an emotionally abusive relationship? It's not easy to talk about with anyone, let alone when they threaten you with blackmail like Strife threatened Chibo.

You have a good post otherwise about reporting Lugo to the police (imo, he should be if only to for the safety of others, because he's escalating), but calling victims of emotional abuse and sexual harassment "stupid or amoral" people is not only wrong, but completely offensive and ignorant. It's not easy to speak out, and it's especially difficult when it's someone you know.
Oh boo-hoo, those people were guilt tripped into driving people in unsafe conditions. Did you really not catch that? They were not sexually or emotionally abused or in any way coerced in this instance. There is no escuse for how they decide to treat others.

Learn to read, moron. And cut the sensationalist bull.

Pokechao

Smash Apprentice
Because pedos are evil people. Just like Hitler, gays and blacks, right?
Out of all the dumb **** I've read from you, THIS IS THE WORST.
Yes, Pedos are ****ing evil, its easy for you to defend them because you aren't the ****ing victim. Taking advantage of a child, sexual harassing them, and among other things they do that aren't worth repeating, and the victim is unable to do anything to protect themselves in these situations.
If you seriously think thats not awful then I don't know what the **** is wrong with you.
And you know what, yes Hitler was indeed evil considering how he was responsible for MASS AMOUNTS OF MURDER.
Gays and Blacks are not evil and I don't even why the **** you even mentioned them. Gay is just a preference between two men, if men like each other that way, they aren't hurting anyone. And black is just a race, nobody here was targeting blacks or gays so I don't even ****ing know what you were trying to achieve with your ****ty analogy. If this was your sick idea of trolling, congratulations, you've made yourself look just as bad as Alex. If you're going to attempt to troll, have some ****ing decency at least.

For ****'s sake I thought this **** was common knowledge

Last edited:

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Out of all the dumb **** I've read from you, THIS IS THE WORST.
Yes, Pedos are ****ing evil, its easy for you to defend them because you aren't the ****ing victim. Taking advantage of a child, sexual harassing them, and among other things they do that aren't worth repeating, and the victim is unable to do anything to protect themselves in these situations.
If you seriously think thats not awful then I don't know what the **** is wrong with you.
And you know what, yes Hitler was indeed evil considering how he was responsible for MASS AMOUNTS OF MURDER.
Gays and Blacks are not evil and I don't even why the **** you even mentioned them. Gay is just a preference between two men, if men like each other that way, they aren't hurting anyone. And black is just a race, nobody here was targeting blacks or gays so I don't even ****ing know what you were trying to achieve with your ****ty analogy. If this was your sick idea of trolling, congratulations, you've made yourself look just as bad as Alex. If you're going to attempt to troll, have some ****ing decency at least.

For ****'s sake I thought this **** was common knowledge
I thinit is safe to say the bait was taken here, folks. Maximum sensationalist over-reaction equating sexual attraction (not action) to evil.

Top Bottom