• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

APEX Staff Releases Statement Regarding Alex Strife Controversy

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
Still don't think Alex stepping down now justifies 4 years of ignorance in terms of Apex staff and/ or anyone who viewed K's article post identifying this asshole Strife and his perverted tactics.

Instead of just going with the whole "saving face" phase that the tourney is putting on, I think the real question has to be asked: "Who are we looking to pioneer the image of this competitive community?"

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious. What was the aftermath of this situation? Strife just got exposed as a pedo, stepped down from Apex and that's it?

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
While I wouldn't put Sexual Harassment on the same scale as "haters gonna h4te," I think you've got a good point. Not everyone is like this, to be perfectly honest, but the elitist attitude is something we need to rid ourselves. We should listen to others thoughts and respect their choice to play what they want.
I would also add that "guilty until proven innocent" is another really stupid and ****ty attitude we could do without. If this story doesn't smell fishy, I've got a used car to sell ya.

James N.

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 5335 0867 6499
I think no matter what I said you would have thought it was rude. I could care less if you think what I said was rude because I know it wasn't intentionally being rude. You still didn't answer my question.
Doesn't matter if being rude is intentional or not. Rudeness is rudeness. And I explained that trans people come in all shapes and sizes. Your point is irrelevant because you shouldn't be trying to figure out if a person is trans in the first place, it's their business.

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
Doesn't matter if being rude is intentional or not. Rudeness is rudeness. And I explained that trans people come in all shapes and sizes. Your point is irrelevant because you shouldn't be trying to figure out if a person is trans in the first place, it's their business.
I agree with this 100%

There is no reason to intentionally attempt to expose one's personal information. Not only is it extremely RUDE, but it's very unprofessional. Strife tried doing it to me (about my position as a T/O and such), but I countered him hard and he backed off after he purposely tried to avoid paying me and my partners..

Last edited:

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
I would also add that "guilty until proven innocent" is another really stupid and ****ty attitude we could do without. If this story doesn't smell fishy, I've got a used car to sell ya.
He got accused by a large amount of people. He got kicked from Apex for all intents and purposes. He also didn't even try to defend himself and prove his accusers wrong. I'd like to emphasize that last part.

Why the **** would someone just shut up and hide in the face of grave accusations like that? He did not present one single piece of evidence against him being guilty.

You know what's fishy? Someone being called a pedo, losing his job, and not saying a single word.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Oh boo-hoo, those people were guilt tripped into driving people in unsafe conditions. Did you really not catch that? They were not sexually or emotionally abused or in any way coerced in this instance. There is no escuse for how they decide to treat others.

Learn to read, moron. And cut the sensationalist bull.
How is that not emotional abuse? You're saying I need to read, but did you even read Chibo's entire story, or just skim through it? How is that not emotional abuse? Guy was tormented through social media and continually harassed, he couldn't even talk to a person he called his best friend because he was so scared.

Seems like you've never been a victim. I hope that you never are. But if you unfortunately happen to be, I hope that no one responds "boo hoo, you have no excuse, it's your fault."

Last edited:

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
How is that not emotional abuse? You're saying I need to read, but did you even read Chibo's entire story, or just skim through it? How is that not emotional abuse? Guy was tormented through social media and continually harassed, he couldn't even talk to a person he called his best friend because he was so scared.

Seems like you've never been a victim. I hope that you never are. But if you unfortunately happen to be, I hope that no one responds "boo hoo, you have no excuse, it's your fault."
You don't get to blame someone else for something you do because you feel guilty, idiot. You're not just skimming- you are missing the entire point. Some of these people aren't completely innocent. Get that through your dense skull. Or at least reach and 5th grade reading level before running your mouth.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
You don't get to blame someone else for something you do because you feel guilty, idiot. You're not just skimming- you are missing the entire point. Some of these people aren't completely innocent. Get that through your dense skull. Or at least reach and 5th grade reading level before running your mouth.
Chibo already got cut off from streaming Apex. I'm well aware no one is entirely innocent: what Chibo revealed in his post was pretty unprofessional. It still doesn't change what Strife did, and baffles me that you would call someone "stupid and amoral" when gone under those circumstances.

You've educated me from 5th grade reading level.

So the point is the story about a U-haul truck, according to you, so let's gang up on Chibo because the hell with what Strife did, he's stupid and amoral for being guilt-tripped by his best friend to do it. The hell with anyone who gets guilt-tripped: that will never happen to me though, because I'm among the elite of the human race and immune to manipulation.

I must have done the wrong thing when my friend came to me asking for advice when she was manipulated to break into my high school. Instead of helping her out and letting the teachers at the school know what happened, I should've instead told her "boo hoo, get over yourself, you did something illegal," and ended the friendship there. Cause she was stupid and amoral.

Thank you for educating me. You're obviously the mature and knowledgable adult hurling insults and calling others "morons," so from now on I'll lead by your example.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Chibo already got cut off from streaming Apex. I'm well aware no one is entirely innocent: what Chibo revealed in his post was pretty unprofessional. It still doesn't change what Strife did, and baffles me that you would call someone "stupid and amoral" when gone under those circumstances.

You've educated me from 5th grade reading level.

So the point is the story about a U-haul truck, according to you, so let's gang up on Chibo because the hell with what Strife did, he's stupid and amoral for being guilt-tripped by his best friend to do it. The hell with anyone who gets guilt-tripped: that will never happen to me though, because I'm among the elite of the human race and immune to manipulation.

I must have done the wrong thing when my friend came to me asking for advice when she was manipulated to break into my high school. Instead of helping her out and letting the teachers at the school know what happened, I should've instead told her "boo hoo, get over yourself, you did something illegal," and ended the friendship there. Cause she was stupid and amoral.

Thank you for educating me. You're obviously the mature and knowledgable adult hurling insults and calling others "morons," so from now on I'll lead by your example.
I never said the entire point of Chibo's post was that thee victims were to blame nor did I say we should forget about Alex or that anyone eclipsed his offenses. Shut the **** up. The bottom line is there is you can't justify putting people in threat of injury just because someone made you feel guilty. What is so hard to understand about this? And yes, your friend is stupid for breaking into the school. Heh. What other people do doesn't absolve individual guilt. It's irresponsible to blame others for our own faults.

ninrok

Smash Cadet
NNID
rokninja

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
This whole thing has brought a huge skeleton out as a community. There needs to be guidelines for future tourneys such as apex regarding this. When I hosted events we had a report and strike system for behavior. I would've personally kicked the ass (figuratively) of anyone harassing anybody else. They would be kicked out, no refund, even if it was staff, and the information would be publicly posted.

Bear in mind IMO this reflects on Apex as a whole. It's a brand whose "ceo" or face of the brand was busted doing some terrible things.

Last edited:

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Yo', wow.... well, oooooookay then.

Step away from the keyboard and take a Kit Kat break or something man. Calm down.
If you're being dumb, people will call you out for it. You guys better get used to it. Nobody is going to appease your fragile little feelings.

In the adult world, you get treated like you are a grown ass person capable of reflection and critical thinking and handling criticism. Coming on heavy has nothing to do with emotional state. It has a lot to do with matching the volume of idiocy, however.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
While I wouldn't put Sexual Harassment on the same scale as "haters gonna h4te," I think you've got a good point. Not everyone is like this, to be perfectly honest, but the elitist attitude is something we need to rid ourselves. We should listen to others thoughts and respect their choice to play what they want.
He got accused by a large amount of people. He got kicked from Apex for all intents and purposes. He also didn't even try to defend himself and prove his accusers wrong. I'd like to emphasize that last part.

Why the **** would someone just shut up and hide in the face of grave accusations like that? He did not present one single piece of evidence against him being guilty.

You know what's fishy? Someone being called a pedo, losing his job, and not saying a single word.
So the argument for being intimidated into silence works for the people accusing him en masse, but it doesn't apply to him? Okay.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator

So the argument for being intimidated into silence works for the people accusing him en masse, but it doesn't apply to him? Okay.
Beware, people are getting crucified left and right for not taking every claim made against Alex as absolute truth. Few people have not forgone an actual investigation and are already foaming at the mouth. Indeed, almost everyone in this thread is part of a sensationalist mob. I have some merry conversations with a few.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Which is why I personally think this should be taken to the police instead of "leaving it up to him to get better." They'll run a much more thorough investigation, + if he is actually guilty he could at least be guaranteed to get the help he needs.

I understand that going through court is quite painful and unpleasant (I know that), but, if what was said online is true, Strife is escalating. For his own good, I think he should be reported for his safety and those around him. And if it wasn't true, apologies are in order.

If you're being dumb, people will call you out for it. You guys better get used to it. Nobody is going to appease your fragile little feelings.

In the adult world, you get treated like you are a grown *** person capable of reflection and critical thinking and handling criticism. Coming on heavy has nothing to do with emotional state. It has a lot to do with matching the volume of idiocy, however.
Your emotional state is definitely connected to your actions. It may not excuse them, but they are connected. Are you going to tell me you've never gotten angry at someone over the internet and started hurling insults at them?

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Which is why I personally think this should be taken to the police instead of "leaving it up to him to get better." They'll run a much more thorough investigation, + if he is actually guilty he could at least be guaranteed to get the help he needs.

I understand that going through court is quite painful and unpleasant (I know that), but, if what was said online is true, Strife is escalating. For his own good, I think he should be reported for his safety and those around him. And if it wasn't true, apologies are in order.

Your emotional state is definitely connected to your actions. It may not excuse them, but they are connected. Are you going to tell me you've never gotten angry at someone over the internet and started hurling insults at them?
If I was enraged, the whole boards would know it, not just the soft brained people on an article.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
Beware, people are getting crucified left and right for not taking every claim made against Alex as absolute truth. Few people have not forgone an actual investigation and are already foaming at the mouth. Indeed, almost everyone in this thread is part of a sensationalist mob. I have some merry conversations with a few.
Now that, is something worth considering. In the first post I made about this subject I asked whether or not the police was aware of the whole situation. It's important to have a proper investigation about this situation.

However, we can't ignore the fact that Strife did not say a word about that, and things posted by him are being presented as evidence alongside the testimony of several victims.

While I agree that judging a situation like that after hearing only a side of the story is wrong, Strife did have and still has the chance to defend himself. He didn't. And nothing indicates he will.

You still need to calm down though. Insults only lower the quality of your arguments.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Now that, is something worth considering. In the first post I made about this subject I asked whether or not the police was aware of the whole situation. It's important to have a proper investigation about this situation.

However, we can't ignore the fact that Strife did not say a word about that, and things posted by him are being presented as evidence alongside the testimony of several victims.

While I agree that judging a situation like that after hearing only a side of the story is wrong, Strife did have and still has the chance to defend himself. He didn't. And nothing indicates he will.

You still need to calm down though. Insults only lower the quality of your arguments.
Being colorful has no impact on the truth of a situation. Please take a few weeks off the boards to mull this over.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
Being colorful has no impact on the truth of a situation. Please take a few weeks off the boards to mull this over.
No. You have presented no arguments to convince me.

Do you understand that even if you're arguing in favor of a reasonable solution to the situation, you cannot properly express your point of view and instead decide to mindlessly and pointlessly insult everyone who disagrees with you?

Don't try to use those bad arguments against me, the truth is that they simply won't work.
If you can't calm down and have a civil discussion, take a few weeks off the boards.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
No. You have presented no arguments to convince me.

Do you understand that even if you're arguing in favor of a reasonable solution to the situation, you cannot properly express your point of view and instead decide to mindlessly and pointlessly insult everyone who disagrees with you?

Don't try to use those bad arguments against me, the truth is that they simply won't work.
If you can't calm down and have a civil discussion, take a few weeks off the boards.
I am not mindlessly insulting anyone. :) Your holier-than-thou **** is what is actually will not work. If the concern is the ridicule, people can simply take care to avoid saying something worthy of ridicule. Meanwhile, each of you are further steering the conversation away from Apex, Alex, or his alleged victims because you are getting your knickers in a tight twisted wad over something unrelated. Can you ever say anything relevant? If not, maybe the forums aren't for you at all, and you should close your account.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
If anyone looks above this post, they'll know my point was proven right.

Anyway, to stay on topic, what happened to Strife after he stepped down from Apex?

Last edited:

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
What?

I thought the drama was done with him stepping down from Apex and whatnot.

Have you already cast the line and fish for them dramas already?

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
What?

I thought the drama was done with him stepping down from Apex and whatnot.

Have you already cast the line and fish for them dramas already?
The problem is that he was accused of being a pedophile. If he was just a good TO that went bad and lazy, I'd agree that the kick from Apex was enough. But he's facing far, far worse accusations.

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
Well, the thing is that this kind of situation is only for the victims to decide whether he should be punished for his actions or not.
There's probably nothing that anyone else that wasn't directly (or even at all) implied to the events that followed at this point.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord

IMO, if they haven't taken proof of pedophilia to the police, they don't have any, and it's just a powerful lie designed to instantly get everyone on their side, or at least against this guy. After all, who would stick up for a pedophile?

If they really are lying about any of this, an apology will not suffice. This is grounds for a defamation lawsuit.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
IMO, if they haven't taken proof of pedophilia to the police, they don't have any, and it's just a powerful lie designed to instantly get everyone on their side, or at least against this guy. After all, who would stick up for a pedophile?

If they really are lying about any of this, an apology will not suffice. This is grounds for a defamation lawsuit.
Uh, kiwi gave pics of her logs with strife from when she was 14..

Being a pedo isn't a crime though, acting on it is, and while this is certainly acting on it most of these crimes don't actually go to the police for a variety of reason, in this case it's in the victims' hands and their decision.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Uh, kiwi gave pics of her logs with strife from when she was 14..

Being a pedo isn't a crime though, acting on it is, and while this is certainly acting on it most of these crimes don't actually go to the police for a variety of reason, in this case it's in the victims' hands and their decision.
A picture of an AIM log isn't exactly a challenging thing to fake. It's unthinkable that someone would go to the smash bros community instead of the police with real evidence of something like that. Use your brain.

ninrok

Smash Cadet
NNID
rokninja

In the adult world, you get treated like you are a grown *** person capable of reflection and critical thinking and handling criticism. Coming on heavy has nothing to do with emotional state. It has a lot to do with matching the volume of idiocy, however.
Oh please.

In the "real adult world", you discuss things without resorting to name-calling and swearing at everything like a middle-schooler who just discovered what a four-letter bomb is.

It's actually an ironically juvenile way to handle things, but I digress.

A picture of an AIM log isn't exactly a challenging thing to fake. It's unthinkable that someone would go to the smash bros community instead of the police with real evidence of something like that. Use your brain.
It's not that unthinkable when you're 14.

I feel like some of you have this strange inability to put yourself in the victim's position. A LOT of these sorts of replies are why things of this nature go unreported until it's too late.
Also, the police aren't always able to do somehing about it.

Could it be an elaborate fake? Sure, and certainly if that were to be found out, she would get tons of well-earned disdain.

What better evidence is she going to get about an inappropriate chat than the chat log, though? I'm legit curious, what is it that you want her and the other victims to produce that would prove it happened? It was how long ago? And in that particular case there would be no other physical evidence. All it would be is "he said she said".

And again, that's not even factoring in al the other accounts that others have put forth. For all of the effort it would take to coordinate all of that and the risks if it were ever found out... That seems very much not worth it.

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
It's not that unthinkable when you're 14.
She isn't 14. Neither are any of the other people making claims. Again, apparently this was important enough for us to see now, but not the police at any point.

Oh please.
I feel like some of you have this strange inability to put yourself in the victim's position. A LOT of these sorts of replies are why things of this nature go unreported until it's too late.
Also, the police aren't always able to do somehing about it.
This is BS that kids today are being brainwashed into in order to make "listen and believe", or rather "guilty without trial" an acceptable attitude. As recently as the 90's when I was growing up, kids were taught what's what, and to always go to an adult with serious problems like that.

What better evidence is she going to get about an inappropriate chat than the chat log, though? I'm legit curious, what is it that you want her and the other victims to produce that would prove it happened? It was how long ago? And in that particular case there would be no other physical evidence. All it would be is "he said she said".
From what I've read, it's an image, not even a real log, although that would be equally easy to craft. Here's another thought: how many AIM logs do you have archived on your computer? Do you even have a computer from that era that is still functional? For what possible reason could she preserve a log like that with no intention of showing it to the police?

And again, that's not even factoring in al the other accounts that others have put forth. For all of the effort it would take to coordinate all of that and the risks if it were ever found out... That seems very much not worth it.
I give no weight to the cry of a mob, and neither should you. You act like it's a huge crowd of people, but all we got was some questionable claims and evidence from a few people, and secondary accounts through others. One of the lead TO roles is on the line (and the money that comes with it), and unsurprisingly, some people who want it (chibo) contributed to the pileup. False scandals of this type have happened with far more claimants to people far more important than Alex Strife, so don't pull that crap "it's too big to be a conspiracy" defense.

You need to do some serious reading about the presumption of innocence, and why we have it.

Last edited:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Yes it can be faked, but it photoshopped chat logs tend to be rather obvious unless the person doing it is really obviously. Combined with how many similar stories.

You know, in Saudi Arabia it takes 2 women to testify against a man, how many will it take to satisfy you?

Why? Would would you assume they'd go to the police?

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Yes it can be faked, but it photoshopped chat logs tend to be rather obvious unless the person doing it is really obviously. Combined with how many similar stories.

You know, in Saudi Arabia it takes 2 women to testify against a man, how many will it take to satisfy you?

Why? Would would you assume they'd go to the police?
Actually, under sharia law, two women also require a man to testify, but that doesn't matter since I follow the Justice system of the United States of America, which is based on the presumption of innocence. Having one, ten, or a hundred testimonies doesn't matter if they are full of holes and don't make sense. To convict someone, they must be guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

I gave lots of reasons to doubt his guilt. Asking me ridiculous questions like you just did does not successfully deflect reasoning. You have to actually explain why my suspicions are unfounded. If you can't do that, and still presume his guilt, you are just another fanatic who is satisfied to destroy lives whenever it suits your twisted feelings.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Actually, under sharia law, two women also require a man to testify, but that doesn't matter since I follow the Justice system of the United States of America, which is based on the presumption of innocence. Having one, ten, or a hundred testimonies doesn't matter if they are full of holes and don't make sense. To convict someone, they must be guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

I gave lots of reasons to doubt his guilt. Asking me ridiculous questions like you just did does not successfully deflect reasoning. You have to actually explain why my suspicions are unfounded. If you can't do that, and still presume his guilt, you are just another fanatic who is satisfied to destroy lives whenever it suits your twisted feelings.
You gave reasons why it's possible that it's innocent, you've given no evidence that the chat logs are forged, nor casted doubt on any of the stories of anyone involved, you just stated it's possible and gave no supporting evidence.

So you can understand why we see no reason to agree to your view of events.

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
You gave reasons why it's possible that it's innocent, you've given no evidence that the chat logs are forged, nor casted doubt on any of the stories of anyone involved, you just stated it's possible and gave no supporting evidence.

So you can understand why we see no reason to agree to your view of events.
agreed. Strife is a douchebag who was perverted. I experienced his attitude firsthand. No evidence proves anything good about that clown. Or apex for that matter.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
Right up there with "I'm not racist but..."

If you're starting a statement with that the statement is probably ****ish and you should reconsider your views, people don't usually preface non-****ish statements with something like that.

A guy sexually harasses women, MUST BE A CRAZY HOMOSEXUAL AMRIGHT? :awesome:

Seriously that makes 0 sense and to associate upstanding non-straight members of the smash community like myself with his atrocious behavior is ludicrous.
He is a homosexual cause was messing with transgenders. There still men, they just look like women. Or he's's a pedophile cause he tried to get at a 14 year old girl. Im not talking bout the community, just him. And im not reconsidering s@@@

Last edited:
Top Bottom