• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

APEX Staff Releases Statement Regarding Alex Strife Controversy

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
As many people are already aware, several issues regarding APEX co-owner Alex Strife have come to light over the past twenty-four hours. In response to these alleged issues, Team Apex has issued a brief announcement this morning regarding the future of APEX 2015.

At this time, Alex Strife will be stepping down from his duties at Apex. We will be moving forward with Apex 2015.

As it stands Apex 2015 is the largest Smash Brothers tournament ever and the Apex staff hopes to bring you the best experience we can.

-----
Editor's Note

Hey everyone, The Derrit here. In light of today's events, I want to make something perfectly clear. Smashboards does not condone harassment of any kind. The Smash Brothers community has been built around a love of our game series, Nintendo, and each other. I've made several life long friends playing Smash, and I'm sure many people here have as well. While forum arguments do sometimes get heated, if you EVER feel threatened, targeted or harassed on Smashboards, contact a forum moderator. We will all do our best to resolve whatever situations come up. This is a community for everyone, and we plan to keep it that way.

My best,

The Derrit

D

Deleted member

I hope people on the outside don't think we're crazy psychopaths just because a handful are threatening people... It makes us look bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Good. I'm glad to know that this situation was handled appropriately and nothing really got out of control. I still hope for Apex 2015 to be a great event, both for people who are actually attending and those watching from home.

Jackzilla

Smash Rookie
Even if this stuff has been 'out there' for years, and it's disappointing that it's taken so long to address, I'm really proud of the community for rallying in defense of our own, and of the rest of the Apex team for responding so quickly and appropriately to the renewed attention to Alex's horrible behavior. That's good esportsing, and good personing.

Last edited:

ChalenB

Smash Rookie
Glad to see such a fast response to the issue. I hope we can all focus on how awesome APEX is about to be and move on together from this darker scene in our community.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
The things I heard from Alex Strife put a nasty pit in my stomach, I'm glad he is stepping down and I hope that we can all just forget about it and enjoy Apex regardless of this.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Wait, people were harassing each other here?

Considering we're in the Internet, I am not surprised.
He hit on a 14 year old girl and told her not to talk about it among other things. I would post links but I can't.
Even Killager would be disgusted by that.....
It's good knowing that we've got each other's backs. :)
Hello, fellow Villager

supascoot

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SupaScoot
He hit on a 14 year old girl and told her not to talk about it among other things. I would post links but I can't.
To add to this, the sources also indicate that Alex has done a ton of other thing, along with sexual harassment of multiple female smashers. He really got himself in deep with this, I doubt we'll ever see him again in this community

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
It saddens me to see news like this even happening. Good riddance to the guy.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
These past 14 hours

Idek

I just feel bad for all the people that suffered :/

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Funny how The Derrit said "built around a love of our game series, Nintendo, and each other." Most people like only one or two of the games and hate the rest. People here never shut up about Nintendo and Sakurai's design choices, and people here never shut up about each other.

Eionio

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0232-9517-9180
It's quite a shame things like this are happening. Smash is bigger now than it's ever been and to see stories like this is just bad for everyone. I feel for the people affected and I hope they can move on from this quickly along with the rest of us.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
He shouldn't be allowed back into the community after all of this.

Captain Zack

Banned via Administration
NNID
Chibi_Zack
There's douchebags in every community. Just because one douchebag exists doesn't mean everyone is. The Smash Community imo is still one of the best out there. Don't let this controversy hold the community down. Thank you.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It should be obvious that disgusting morons exist within every single community out there.

However, it's very rare for someone to do something this absolutely disgusting and sickening, and be so high up in power within the community in question. As well as just being a sick and terrible act on it's own, when it's been done by someone this high up in a huge community, it could potentially give it a bad name to some people. Furthermore, the guy probably knew his power could help him hide his actions and took advantage of that.

What's done is done, though. The guy's truth has been completely exposed, word will soon get out, he's no longer apart of APEX, and he probably won't be able to show his face in the Smash community very much anymore. Good riddance.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Heard about this last night, and glad it was resolved peacefully. Women should never be made to feel uncomfortable to game with us.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
We've said our peace.
Now, the best thing that could happen is a sincere contrition and real change of character from Alex Strife, yet I somehow doubt this will happen.
Hopefully, this situation humiliates him enough to become humble, rather than even more arrogant.

Crusina

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4768-7571-0177
The things I heard from Alex Strife put a nasty pit in my stomach, I'm glad he is stepping down and I hope that we can all just forget about it and enjoy Apex regardless of this.
No.

"forgetting" about problems like this is what causes them and lets them continue in the first place. She posted about him trying to pick her up when she was 14 five years ago. And people did nothing.

What you do is you learn and do your best to ensure it doesn't happen again, or that at least those people have somewhere to turn too.

You make Apex a better place because of it, you don't just sweep it under the rug. Change doesn't happen in silence, it happens with action.

You have to make Apex a place for everyone. Gaming is more diverse and inclusive then ever before, but it faces problems and we have to face them and acknowledge them.

Spazzy

Smash Apprentice
I understand him being banned from apex but idk it seems like everyone is over reacting about this subject. I don't feel like he should be hated on forever for being a douche.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I understand him being banned from apex but idk it seems like everyone is over reacting about this subject. I don't feel like he should be hated on forever for being a douche.
Hitting on minors doesn't warrant such a reaction?

Top Bottom