• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2015 Hype! Jan 30-Feb 1 Results, brackets and videos are up!

bowl

Smash Cadet
TY, now I remember the pools controversy. I strongly hope Apex gets its stuff together for 2015(esp 64).
I honestly doubt it since they will have another smash game and I'm sure between sm4sh and melee, we will have gf at 6 am

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I'm gonna offer to help them run it

offer's on the table but I doubt my contributions would make much of a difference

Cobrevolution

Smash Master

this was the schedule for 2014.

injustice got a noon spot, street fighter got 2pm, blazblue got 1pm, KoF got 2pm. for ****'s sake, these fgc side events got put on at noon.

Last edited:

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Well, I did say that with smash 4 coming up, 64 is either going to get cut or get ****ed in terms of scheduling and stream time. The latter being the most probable. Alex just has way too many games. He already has Melee, PM, 64, and maybe Brawl? Add smash 4 with the rest of the FGC games, and you've got a lot on your plate.

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
yeah honestly if 64 brought in more stream viewers (and entrants, tho that goes without saying), we should AT LEAST get noon. Then Brawl and Smash 4 to put people to sleep and save energy to get hyped again for Melee later on.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Why would I cut 64. I love the damn game.

There were issues but we can address them with help (just listing them and bringing it to Nintendude's and I attention makes it better)

FGC went from 6+ to 4 games

I won't promise anything but you will be given a primetime spot but At this point we are looking at Smash 4 + Melee at the end.

You guys know me I'll give you love but talk to me...tell me the concerns I'll address them

BTW I will try to be on this more

Edit:

Saw the thing about RR pools. As Apex get's bigger and bigger and more people enter multiple games it does become harder to do RR. I did them at Zenith cause I had brought all the PM / Melee setups and it was still a little rough.

Last edited:

Sedda

Smash Champion
@ Alex Strife Alex Strife

If you give 64 top 8 NOON on sunday at least, we'll be happy. If we can have a place to play friendlies without having to move around, we'll be fine.

Think of it this way. 64 has had the crappy morning spot for a couple of years now, but we still show a lot of support.
Our numbers have increased throughout the last three years, and apparently stream viewership was great during top 8 at Apex 2014. Hell, we were at 5.5k at Zenith (55 entrants only). It's gonna be a lot more than that at Apex. It wasn't too long ago when even Melee was struggling to get those numbers... Plus, we will probably have some amazing japanese players at Apex again, and HOPEFULLY the peruvians will show up. This is gonna be the most stacked 64 tourney ever.

Also, Fireblaster posted a sceencap of the number of views the fgc stuff was getting on youtube compared to 64 GFs, and 64 always does better.

If other FGC games get better timeslots because they deserve them, so be it. I was under the impression that that was the case, but I was basically proven wrong by everybody here. Throw 64 a bone. It's just a fact that it performs better at Apex.

None of this is to say that we don't appreciate Apex. If you can't have RR pools because of the number of entrants and the popularity of the games, cool beans. We like more players too. I'm excited to go for the first time next year, but I think 64 has earned a better spot by the support its players show every year.

ALEX PLS

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
@ Alex Strife Alex Strife , you know we love you and everything you've done for us as a community with apex...you've successfully created a platform on which every region that plays 64 can gather and compete, and open up doors of opportunity for our players. we've had so many cross-continental communications and travels in the time since apex 2013...it's unbelievable, really. apex is THE event to travel for and it's what sets up players to travel elsewhere.

i think our attitude about apex can be summed up by this statement of sedda's
This is gonna be the most stacked 64 tourney ever.
strife, we've said this three years in a row. that's pretty damn amazing, in my opinion.

RR pools is understandable. i think the main issue with zenith '13 - apex '14 was that we were told we'd have pools at apex, but the only pools we were familiar with were RR. so it was a bit of a surprise that we'd have the less optimal format. regardless, we don't begrudge you for lack of RR at an event the size of apex.

pools details can be worked out later. i am personally in favor of top 16 being bo5, or top12 at the least. however, i know there are time constraints. but that isn't something that has an overbearing need to be discussed.

the FGC thing is really the only thing that leaves me slightly bitter. i just don't feel that the FGC regards apex like they do other events and other nationals, while we, the 64 community, look at it as the quintessential tournament experience of the year. i believe that 64 deserves a better timeslot than other FGC games.

ideally, we want our players who make it to the finals to perform well, for the sakes of themselves, the community, and the crowd, both in person and on stream.

in terms of stream: with an early a.m. timeslot (say, 10am again), we lose pretty much all west coast/mountain viewership, because very few sane people wake up at 7/8am on a saturday. europe isn't affected too badly, as they are viewing at 3 or 4 pm, while japan (if they even watch) tune in at 11pm or midnight.

normal people, of course, will say, "well if you know you have to wake up, you should go to bed early!"
but normal people don't go to smashfests. they don't know that it is nigh impossible to go to sleep at the most stacked and diverse smash event of the year. everyone is amped up and energized, usually. early morning smash means lowered reflexes because of fatigue, bad moods, hunger, all the stuff that adds to a poor performance.

we're not asking for a sweet primetime spot like melee gets. we'd just like something that will be best for our players and our viewers. i don't think that 10am is the best choice. anywhere from noon to nighttime would be great.

to be honest, i thought being ushered into those corner rooms at apex '14 was fine (not including being kicked out at nighttime). we pretty much localized all of the 64 players, held a teams tourney in one room and had friendlies in the other. honestly, i don't have a problem with our finals being on saturday and devoting the rest of the weekend to friendlies, in an area that isn't hectic and packed.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Overall I had a great experience at apex 2014. Morning stuff is not good, and I think people have made a good case for why we deserve a better time slot.

The biggest problem I have with our tournaments is how slow they run. Even at zenith where we had 2 hours to do 7 man round robin pools we had trouble. Number of reasons this happens:

1) People who don't primarily play 64 don't show up for ****. They are busy with other games, they don't care, who knows. Seems like a general problem at these things for players that are entered in multiple events, but its magnified for us because 64 is more of a side event for most of these kinds of players. I'd rather not start mass DQing people if it can be helped, so it would be nice to be able to somehow get a hold of these players at the events. Shears may have a solution to this with the program he's been making that might optimize tournament organization in general. Also the system with which people are called could be improved. The main issue is we generally just have no idea if a player is playing another game or not. This could be done better.

2) Next ones on us. People from within this community just disappear when they need to be playing games. No mention to anyone, they are just there one minute, and the next no one knows where they are. People will go get food, people will go take ****s, go for a walk, whatever. We realllly don't want to start DQing people from our own community, we're too small for that. People in this community, get your damn **** together at tournaments. If you have pools from 1-3, go eat at 11:00, then take ****, then go for a walk, and show up ready to sit your ass down and play your matches. You just have to be responsible for 2 continuous hours, its not that hard. If we really want to have a better pool/bracket set up with more preliminary games (i.e. RR pools), we need to show that we are capable of finishing the tournaments on time as is. No TO in their right mind would give us MORE games when last year at Apex went waaaaaaaaay late on day 1. Find who you need to play, and play them. If you absolutely have to go pee or something, make sure you tell someone who needs to know so they don't waste time looking for you and instead get another match going. If you were one of the last people playing your pool matches, and it wasn't because your name is Knitephox, your opponents fell under category 1, or you had scheduled stream matches, this is talking to you. No reason anyone should have been playing pool matches after 1 hour and 15 minutes.

3) Stream schedule, or lack thereof, held things up at Apex 2014. Zenith this year was MUCH better with this. The schedule was great (though i'll john about 1st set on stream no warmup all day lol), and for the most part made sure only good matches were on stream during pools. Not sure we did as great a job during bracket, but I think it was pretty good. We need to do this at Apex as well and identify which matches are going on stream. None of that first come first serve get a game on stream don't care if its good or ****ty stuff we did at Apex 2014.

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
Hi, I'm new to the forums but I've been following competitive Smash for about a year now. I really enjoyed watching the videos of SSB from Apex 2014. I wish I could come to Apex this year but I live so far south that a college kid like me can't afford to go. With that in mind, I still want to watch the stream and see the SSB matches. My concern is that I'll miss out on the 64 hype. So, will there be separate streams available for each Smash? I just want to see some of the 64 matches.

Side note: I want to help support the SSB community in any way possible. How can I get involved?

Sedda

Smash Champion
Hi, I'm new to the forums but I've been following competitive Smash for about a year now. I really enjoyed watching the videos of SSB from Apex 2014. I wish I could come to Apex this year but I live so far south that a college kid like me can't afford to go. With that in mind, I still want to watch the stream and see the SSB matches. My concern is that I'll miss out on the 64 hype. So, will there be separate streams available for each Smash? I just want to see some of the 64 matches.

Side note: I want to help support the SSB community in any way possible. How can I get involved?
Stream time and stuff will be announced when everything gets scheduled. Top 8 will likely be on sunday.
Also, if you're from TN, find out if there are other Smashers around your area (Melee/Brawl) that are going. You could carpool with them and split the costs of gas. That's what most people are doing.

Komotonoto

Smash Journeyman
Is it just me or is it every ****ing time we go to a tournament some people decide to act weird or differently than they normally would..? As in, no one is really friendly I suppose.

malva00

Smash Master
Is BANE going to Apex? If not, maybe I will go to BANE's home instead of APEX if BANE is able to play on console.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Omg this game is so awesome.
dude i was a huge perry fan but i've gotta say that i'm really loving the new avy

edit: oh and sedda i've been meaning to tell you

the micky avatar ****ing blows dude

2.3/10

edit 2: don't even get me started on z's either

pathetic

yo actually now that i think of it, most of your guys' avatars are ****ing horrible

cobr's is OK despite it being the exact opposite of irl cobr

sk is hit or miss

(miss you sk)

mixa's are good

aa's current is not bad

everyone else's are either really bad or MEH at best

edit #idk: after thinking about all of the bad avatars, sedda's isn't THAT bad

actually one of the better ones

but not GOOD by any means

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
this isn't the confession thread, but when i first started posting here i thought most ppl's avatars were really good
times change

Sedda

Smash Champion
wut

im talking avatars here komo. i dont ever trash talk about matches or anything.. im pretty sure im the one who always backs out if im lagging

Annex

Smash Ace
Every avy on this page is bum except for mine, komo's, combo's, and cobr's

also stand the **** back because I'm gonna up my avy game in like 2 days once it's POLISHED

btw what is isai's. someone please tell me

Komotonoto

Smash Journeyman
wut

im talking avatars here komo. i dont ever trash talk about matches or anything.. im pretty sure im the one who always backs out if im lagging
Who actually pays attention to avatars? What is this, Club Penguin? Society F495...

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
i dont even need an avatar this is basically an introspective art piece

DevMBC

Smash Ace
Looking at coming to the US for the whole of January and flying back to the UK after Apex. Should be confirmed pretty soon =)

Top Bottom