• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2015 Hype! Jan 30-Feb 1 Results, brackets and videos are up!

Usopp

Smash Apprentice
hi, im pretty new to competitive smash. the only game i owned was brawl until recently. my roomate in college plays smash64 allll the time. i told him about tournaments and stuff and were both pretty interested in competing. ive been to some pm locals in nyc and i saw smash64 at zenith but i didnt play. if we go out to apex to compete in smash64 is there anything we should know about before we go?

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
you should know that on november 1st there will be a tourney in NJ at Yestercades in Somerville. and that maybe we'll have something at Nebulous eventually, in NYC.

basic ruleset: DL, congo, peach's, 5 stocks, bo3, ws+ bo5, pause is a stock or something like that with the fireblaster rule, loser picks stage then winner picks char then loser picks char.

Sedda

Smash Champion
hi, im pretty new to competitive smash. the only game i owned was brawl until recently. my roomate in college plays smash64 allll the time. i told him about tournaments and stuff and were both pretty interested in competing. ive been to some pm locals in nyc and i saw smash64 at zenith but i didnt play. if we go out to apex to compete in smash64 is there anything we should know about before we go?
http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-64-index-read-here-first.350305/

check that out. it has all the basic knowledge and resources of competitive smash 64. if you have any questions beyond that, ask away. hope to see you there!

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
I hope Isai wins, and uses Luigi

Do you have skillz?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Hey guys,

Just wanted to address some stuff for you guys.

In regards to the schedule and being on Sunday. That is something we are looking into HEAVILY. Our goal this year is to have most, if not all, smash games on Sunday. We also want to work in the FGC as well. Our reason for that is two fold.

#1 - Each year our FGC numbers grow. This helps establish us as a bigger player in the event market.

#2 - Big name players to watch/get into smash. As you guys remember Justin Wong was in the Smash 64 bracket (still wanna know who forfeit to him cause they were scared haha) but stuff like that can and will matter when they tweet out smash related content and such. Why is that a big deal? The REASON Evo considered Smash in that poll was because Ultra David, Yipes, etc. talked about Apex.

Now I know this is a smash-centric tournament to you guys but for me it is a celebration of all things gaming. You know we have artist alleys, indie games, etc. I am not saying smash wont be focused on ( once I announce what YOU guys are getting you will flip out ) but I want to ensure more casual players attend so that WE as a community all grow. It is not, to me, about Melee or PM or Any game, it is about SMASH as a whole. You guys know this and I will improve every year til we are PERFECT.

That being said I will do what I can regarding the pools. You know I am not going to make it Round Robin ( hence why ZENITH is round robin so I can make sure you guys get it somewhere ) but I will look into logistics and at least TRY. Remember Smash 4 will most likely have 1k and Melee might also so if I do RR for you it's fair to do it for them and RR with those numbers will kill us. I have to be fair to everyone.

Either way ask me questions via FB on my account or here :)

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Hey guys,

In regards to the schedule and being on Sunday. That is something we are looking into HEAVILY. Our goal this year is to have most, if not all, smash games on Sunday.

( once I announce what YOU guys are getting you will flip out )
I think all the players that make it to top 8 would prefer an after 2pm timeslot on saturday over a morning timeslot on sunday

Last edited:

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I understand but Sunday is going to be finals and Smash 64 should be there imo. Also more #s for you guys = more exposure. We will see.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Hey guys,

In regards to the schedule and being on Sunday. That is something we are looking into HEAVILY. Our goal this year is to have most, if not all, smash games on Sunday. We also want to work in the FGC as well. Our reason for that is two fold.

#1 - Each year our FGC numbers grow. This helps establish us as a bigger player in the event market.

#2 - Big name players to watch/get into smash. As you guys remember Justin Wong was in the Smash 64 bracket (still wanna know who forfeit to him cause they were scared haha) but stuff like that can and will matter when they tweet out smash related content and such. Why is that a big deal? The REASON Evo considered Smash in that poll was because Ultra David, Yipes, etc. talked about Apex.

Now I know this is a smash-centric tournament to you guys but for me it is a celebration of all things gaming. You know we have artist alleys, indie games, etc. I am not saying smash wont be focused on ( once I announce what YOU guys are getting you will flip out ) but I want to ensure more casual players attend so that WE as a community all grow. It is not, to me, about Melee or PM or Any game, it is about SMASH as a whole. You guys know this and I will improve every year til we are PERFECT.

That being said I will do what I can regarding the pools. You know I am not going to make it Round Robin ( hence why ZENITH is round robin so I can make sure you guys get it somewhere ) but I will look into logistics and at least TRY. Remember Smash 4 will most likely have 1k and Melee might also so if I do RR for you it's fair to do it for them and RR with those numbers will kill us. I have to be fair to everyone.

I'm sure you already know this but I'm willing to offer to help run the 64 side of things this year if the extra manpower would help make it better for everyone

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
I understand but Sunday is going to be finals and Smash 64 should be there imo. Also more #s for you guys = more exposure. We will see.
i think i speak for a lot of people when i say that we truly appreciate that.

i personally support a mid afternoon saturday slot as well, but sunday would be just as good, provided it isn't in the AM. even Noon would be fantastic.

also YOOOO @ Herbert Von Karajan Herbert Von Karajan altas horas is only 20 mins down the road

Beesy

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys,

I have a couple comments I'd like to make.
Firstly, I'm happy that you're concerned with running a great tournament, and impressed that you're focused on improving every year. I think that's a great attitude to have. I'm also glad you're interested in listening to the serious concerns we've had. In short-Thank you for your effort regarding improvement.

Secondly, I'd like to discuss the RR format. I've tried to keep on top of what you've said about it over the months, and I think I understand everything that's been discussed about it. Well I certainly don't want you to do something that won't work, and I don't want you to have more problems. I think RR would be great for us; I think it'd be a strong improvement for the tournament. I'd also like to challenge your claim of fairness. I noticed you said that you wouldn't do RR for 64 because it wouldn't be fair unless you also did RR for other, larger games, whose size can't accommodate it. I don't think there's any conflict with fairness there and I'd like to share a couple images that make this point. (get ready for pinterest!)

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/475903885594757755/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/475903885594757823/

I'd like for every community to have a great tournament, even if that means getting different things. I mean, since we're not the largest community we don't get the best time slot on the stream right? But that's not unfair at all. I totally understand that we can't all have the same things because we're not all the same. Our community doesn't have the numbers for the best spot, but we CAN (I believe) support a great RR pools format. I don't want to take anything away from other games/communities, I just want to have the best 64 tournament we can, which I think is widely agreed upon to be the RR pools format. I'd be interested to hear more thoughts from you on that (no rush though). And either way, I appreciate your time both in posting here and in reading my reply.

Last edited:

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
Yeah after Zenith's RR pool stuff I don't think it'd work for us, we're all a bunch of lazy pricks. Also it just felt like a different form of regular brackets so meh. But yeah having finals any time after NOON would be great for our champs since many of us like to party all night long.

I like that idea HERBERT.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
MLG did something like that for melee, but the pro bracket was decided ahead of time or something

how would we decide who's in "pro bracket"

and yeah. rr pools with large numbers...it'd be great, but i personally would prioritize later stream/top8.

Sedda

Smash Champion
they had to earn points winning tournaments, but im guessing you could decide whos in the pro bracket the same way you would seed (?) i like the idea. it would maximize the amount of really good matches

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
you could reliably seed like, 6 people or some****. otherwise i think there are wayyyyy too many close calls.

Sedda

Smash Champion
when in doubt, use rock paper scissors

but i think it would be worth a shot, though maybe 32 players is too much?

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
If I can contribute to TOing in any way that might help RR pools be a reality rest assured I will do it

I'm serious John

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Peru was a hyrule-only tournament with pools of 8 people, with 2 TV's per pool.
Thats 54 best of 3 sets, so 26 bo3 sets per TV
Pools took 4 hours to finish.
=> Average set lasted 10 minutes

The rules were:
You cant leave the venue until you are done with your pool matches

Went pretty smoothly because:
there was food in the venue right next to the setups
the tolilets were right next to the setups
pools were assigned to adjacent TV's
If a pool was finished early another pool could take their TV
Each pool had a person keeping track of the matches,
No watching other pool's matches until you are done with your own matches
All the TO had to do was make sure there were always matches being played on TV's, which was generally the case. (The TO didn't have to find missing people because everyone was responsible. Unlike at Zenith where there were 2 Apex staff signed up for 64 that never showed up to their pools. Thats ****ed up; they of all people should know where they need to be.)

Next I'll do some math on the required number of TV's for pools and stuff
Oh the bracket was 16 people, started around Midnight and the round before losers finals started at 4am. The problem with bracket was everyone wanted everything recorded so we recorded majority of the matches on just 2 TV's. Getting to top 8 should take 2 hours or less with 4-8 TV's

64 cap is pretty much doubled every year (and it always gets raised lol)
Assuming a cap of 256 people
Assuming a final bracket of 16 people
=> **** pools

RR Pools of more than 8 are dumb. The number of sets to be played for N players in a pool is N*(N-1).
So if I say lets use N+1 players, we have to play 2N extra sets. So going to 9 people is 16 more sets than a 8 person pool, at 10 minutes a set its going to take 5ever

The only way to make pools work is to have multiple pool rounds
Round 1 = 32 pools of 8 people. Top 2 come out => 64 people remaining. Round 2 = 8 pools of 8 people, top 2 come out to go into final bracket
A pool with 2 TV's takes 4 hours. To make it feasible you would need a minimum of 32 TV's, then have 2 flights for round 1 (16 pools at a time). So 8 hours for round 1, but then there 4 TV's per pool for round 2 so it would take 2 hours for round 2. So at most, to make a top 16 bracket it would take 10 hours.

Using a number of entrants = 176, you get 22 pools of 8, which reduces the TV requirement to 22 but it would still take 4 hours per flight in round 1. You would get 44 people for round 2, so you would do 4 pools of 11, 5 TV's per pool, so 110 sets / 5 tvs = 21 sets per TV = 210 minutes = 3.5 hours for round 2. Hopefully no one with TV's that are eliminated from round 1 leave. Top 4 in each pool come out in round 2 into bracket.

EDIT: I totally miscalculated the time pools took at peru, it started at 7pm and ended around midnight ( so 4 hours instead of 5 )

A schedule would have to look like:
Friday, 1:30pm First matches of Round 1 Flight 1 Pools start. Finished by 5:30pm
Friday, 6:30pm First matches of Round 1 Flight 2 Pools start. Finished by 10:30pm
Saturday, 1:30PM First matches of Round 2 pools start. Finished by 5:30pm
Saturday, 7:00PM 16 man bracket till top 8 or top 4 starts. Finished by 11:00pm
Sunday, 9:00am: Top 8 starts. Finished by 1:00pm

Last edited:

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Well I am more focused on how to give 64 prime time on Sunday cause that means more to me. Also working on a few things to help out.

For RR like I said it is more likely than not we will stick to our format but just modify it so that it is more fair for everyone. This is nothing against everyone but never say never.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Round robin vs bracket pools is honestly not that much of an issue compared to everything else mentioned. Just proper timeslots alone can make ssb64 at apex one of the best experiences

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
So how are people going to confirm for Apex, ehh Mic?

Also, kind of confirming unless I get another job after this job.

Olikus

Smash Champion
soooooooo

I guess its time to make an attendees list. Post here and I will update the OP.

Top Bottom