• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013 Info Dump!

t3h Icy

Smash Master

Doubles Results!

1st: Mew2King/Armada
2nd: Hungrybox/Plup
3rd: Shroomed/PPU
4th: DoH/Mango
5th: MacD/Vanz, Leffen/Ice
7th: Javi/Aza, L0zr/Dr.PP
9th: Westballz/Hax, Bam/Vwins, Kage/Eggm, StriCNYN3/Colbol
13th: Dazwa/KevinM, Frootloop/Kels, DJ Nintendo/Alukard, Lovage/S2J
17th: The Moon/G$, Taj/Wobbles, Tope/Cyrain, Scar/SFAT, Redd/Bladewise, Tirno/Arc, Kirbykaze/Alan, Zeldafreak/Darkatma
25th: Milkman/Tafokints, Reno/Cactuar, Codi/Knut, V3ctorman/Axe, Wenbo/Vist, MT/Vudujin, Strawhat Dahean/Overtriforce, Toph/TAI
33rd: Sneak/Eve, Strong Bad/Okami, Dayoshi/Vish, TheLake/Nakamaru, QERB/Arjun, Silent Wolf/Zhu, Diakonos/Idea, Ratking/Eggz, CaptainCrunch/?, PB&J/Wizzrobe, Mafia/MattDotZeb, Hyuga/Rockcrock, Kradi/Obsoleet, Tect/Sanuzi, Stabbed/?, Arty/Scythe

Full bracket here!: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10722276/Smash/doubles_apex_2013.png

Pre-Apex Information and Stuff

On Friday, Prog is hosting an invitational low-tier, high item, all stages tournament featuring Armada, Mango, Dr. PP, Axe, Hax, Javi, and Shroomed! See the tournament details here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=332248 It will be livestreamed on Internet Explorer's twitch channel here: http://www.twitch.tv/InternetExplorer6 For some friendlies involving those housed by Internet Explorer (including Armada, Dr. PP, M2K, Kou and more!), check out the archives of his livestream too!

ARMADA vs MANGO
DR. PP vs JAVI
HUNGRYBOX vs MEW2KING
KIRBYKAZE vs AXE

(hopefully)

Apex 2013 begins this weekend! With just 10 shy from breaking the entrant record, but arguably the toughest ever, Apex is quite possibly going to be the greatest Melee tournament in history! With powerful players all over the US, from above in Canada, from way down low in Mexico and South America, to across the ponds with Japan and Europe, only the absolute best in the world will be able survive to place high in the 128-man death bracket!

Most people will agree that the top players will likely consist of Mango, Armada, Dr. PP, Hungrybox, Mew2King, Javi, Kirbykaze, Shroomed, Axe, Hax, and a whole collection of others, but with all the potential match-ups and opponents, anything can happen! Armada's place as world champion may be on the line or it might be made that much stronger!

So this thread is for those of you at home following along and watching the stream. Any updates, anything of interest, or just a spot to type about the hype in all caps goes here. Feel free to let us know on anything you find out, and if word is just going around and you're not sure, let us know that too so we can keep things as factual as possible. I'll try to keep this post updated as the tournament progresses. Mind you though, I may be busy Saturday evening, but I'll be able to do everything Friday and Sunday.

Right now, it's still just a few days before the tournament, but there's lots of information out already, and lots to talk about and outcomes to predict. Plus, it's easier to help sort out the main thread.

Please keep this thread Melee-only. Brawl, Project M, Smash 64, and the FGC games can be posted about elsewhere or just use the main thread, whatever. Likewise, for questions regarding transportation, TO stuff, etc should go into the official Apex thread. Any questions regarding the Melee Pools, Bracket, or tournament in general, definitely feel free to ask!

The USA vs World Crew Battle will be:

:falcomelee:(Captain) Dr.PP
:falcomelee:Mango
:jigglypuffmelee:Hungrybox
:sheikmelee:Mew2King
:pikachumelee:Axe
:icsmelee:Wobbles
:falconmelee:Hax
:drmario:Shroomed
Alternates: :foxmelee:SFAT, :falcomelee:Westballz

VERSUS

:peachmelee:(Captain) Armada
:peachmelee:Vwins
:foxmelee:Javi
:foxmelee:Leffen
:sheikmelee:Kirbykaze
:sheikmelee:Overtriforce
:marthmelee:Ice
:falcomelee:Bam
Alternates: :ganonmelee:Kage, :marthmelee:.jpg

Both teams are incredibly stacked with many of the world's elite players and will be a hell of a show!

Top players attending Apex include but definitely not limited to:
:marthmelee:.jpg, :luigimelee::falcomelee:Abate, :peachmelee:Alan, :samusmelee:Alukard :peachmelee::younglinkmelee:Armada, :pikachumelee::falcomelee:Axe, :sheikmelee:Aza, :falcomelee:Bam, :peachmelee:Bladewise, :foxmelee::marthmelee:Cactuar, :foxmelee:Colbol, :foxmelee::falcomelee:Cyrain, :jigglypuffmelee:Darc, :sheikmelee::peachmelee:Darkatma, :falcomelee:Dayoshi, :marthmelee::sheikmelee::foxmelee:Diakonos, :foxmelee::samusmelee::bowsermelee:DJ Nintendo, :peachmelee:DoH, :falcomelee::marthmelee:Dr. PP, :foxmelee:Eggm, :foxmelee:Eggz, :peachmelee:Eval, :falcomelee:Frootloop, :falconmelee:Gucci, :falconmelee:Hax, :marthmelee:HBK, :jigglypuffmelee:Hungrybox, :jigglypuffmelee:Hyuga, :marthmelee:IB, :marthmelee::sheikmelee::foxmelee:Ice, :linkmelee:J666, :foxmelee:Javi, :marthmelee::sheikmelee:JesiahTEG, :ganonmelee:Kage, :falcomelee:Kounotori, :foxmelee:Kels, :sheikmelee:Kirbykaze, :foxmelee:L0zr, :foxmelee:Leffen, :linkmelee:Lord HDL, :foxmelee:Lovage, :peachmelee:MacD, :falcomelee::foxmelee::falconmelee:Mango, :sheikmelee::marthmelee::foxmelee:Mew2King, :falcomelee:NamiNami, :icsmelee:Nintendude, :sheikmelee:Overtriforce, :peachmelee:Paju, :marthmelee:PewPewU, :samusmelee:Plup, :sheikmelee:Reno, :ganonmelee:Rockcrock, :falconmelee:S2J, :falconmelee:Scar, :foxmelee:SFAT,:drmario:Shroomed, :foxmelee:Shuta, :foxmelee:Silent Wolf, :sheikmelee:SilentSwag, :linkmelee:Skler, :foxmelee:Soten, :foxmelee:Sol, :falcomelee:Stab, :marthmelee:Strawhat Dahean, :falcomelee:StriCNYN3, :falcomelee:SUNG666, :foxmelee:T. Webb, :sheikmelee:Tafokints, :marthmelee::mewtwomelee:Taj, :foxmelee:Tect, :marthmelee:TAI, :falcomelee:Th0rn, :marthmelee:The Moon, :zeldamelee:The Lake, :sheikmelee:Tope, :foxmelee:Toph, :icsmelee::ganonmelee:Trail, :yoshimelee:V3ctorman, :peachmelee::sheikmelee::foxmelee:Vanz, :falconmelee:Vish, :luigimelee:Vist, :luigimelee:Vudujin, :peachmelee:Vwins, :foxmelee:Weon-X, :falcomelee::falconmelee::foxmelee:Westballz, :icsmelee:Wobbles, :falcomelee:Zavage, :falcomelee::foxmelee:Zhu

Apex Bracket Pools (subject to change):
Due to the sheer number of them and all the changes, I won't update them, but instead give seed listings after each is complete. Also, the 128-man bracket should be using Challonge, so it will auto-update.
Pool 1:
Pool 2:
Pool 3:
Pool 4:
Pool 5:
Pool 6:
Pool 7:
Pool 8:
Pool 9:
Pool 10:
Pool 11:
Pool 12:
Pool 13:
Pool 14:
Pool 15:
Pool 16:
Pool 17:
Pool 18:
Pool 19:
Pool 20:
Pool 21:
Pool 22:
Pool 23:
Pool 24:
Pool 25:
Pool 26:
Pool 27:
Pool 28:
Pool 29:
Pool 30:
Pool 31:
Pool 32:

Apex Doubles Bracket to come later!

OoC players include:
Austrailia: CAOTIC, Tid
Canada: Attila the Hun, Bam, Bernal, Coffeeblack, Diakonos, Eternal, Europhoria, HammerTime, IB, Idea, Jethrotex, Jxian, Kage, Kirbykaze, Lamb, Nakama, Sanuzi, Silas, Snow Shard, Tect, Vwins, Weon-X
Europe:
Finland: Loota, NamiNami, Paju
Germany: Ice
Russia: Eikelmann
Spain: Overtriforce, Strawhat Dahean
Sweden: Armada, Leffen, Volvagia
UK: AC
Japan: Dayoshi, Gucci, Kounotori, Shuta, So-ten
Mexico: .jpg, Aza, Javi, JC, Jordy, Meme, SOUL, Zavage
Puerto Rico: Eval, Lord HDL, MIZU
South America:
Brazil: Banze
Chile: Nekokatsu

Some notable mid/low tier players include:
:dkmelee:DK: Green Ranger, Phish-it, Strong Bad
:gwmelee:G&W: QERB
:linkmelee:Link: Internet Explorer, J666, Lord HDL, Skler
:luigimelee:Luigi: Abate, Vist, Vudujin
:pikachumelee:Pikachu: Axe
:yoshimelee:Yoshi: V3ctorman
:zeldamelee:Zelda: TheLake
As well as :younglinkmelee:Armada, :bowsermelee:DJ Nintendo, :mewtwomelee:Taj, :bowsermelee:Warriorknight

Notable, good, and/or popular players NOT in Melee and/or attendance include but not limited to:
Amsah, Blunted Object, Captain Jack, Chillin, Chu Dat, Cosmo, Darkrain, Dashizwiz, Dieslow, EX, Fly Amanita, Hanky Panky, Hugs, Insane Crazy Guy, Iori, Isai, Jman, Ka Master, Ken, Linguini, Lucky, Niko, OTG, PC Chris, Pikachad, Raynex, Remen, Silent Spectre, Sion, Tuga, Unknown522, Yu

Other notes:
-Isai is in attendance, but only for Smash 64.
-Bracket Pools are fully played out EXCEPT Grand Finals. This creates seeds 1st through 4th, all of whom enter the 128-man bracket in Winners'.
-Friday is all of Doubles and other various games. Saturday is Pools and USA vs World Crew Battle. Sunday morning is Singles up to the top 8 (halting at Winners' Semis and Losers' Eighths), and the top 8 is played Sunday night.
-Apex is in the Eastern Timezone (UTC-05:00)

Official Apex Partners:

Official Apex Sponsors:

t3h Icy

Smash Master
My pool predictions from 1st to 4th:

1: Armada, L0zr, ?, ?
2: Axe, NamiNami, Vish, Copycat
3: M2K, Stabbed, Banks, RoH
4: PP, Reno, Alan, ?
5: Hax, Diakonos, Sung, Blackchris
6: Silent Wolf, Moon, Tect, Yay
7: Bam, Scar, KevinM, Rayku
8: Eggm, Redd, Paju, ?
9: Vanz, Lord HDL, Abate, Bones
10: Overtriforce, Eggz, Eval, D1
11: Hbox, Nintendude, Tafo, Europhoria
12: Javi, Trail, Toph, Idea
13: KK, MDZ, Hyuga, WarriorKnight
14: Mango, HBK, TAI, Green Ranger
15: PPU, DoH, Silentswag, ?
16: Colbol, S2J, Jesiah, ?
17: Bladewise, Kou, Swift, ?
18: Leffen, DJN, L, Okami
19: Lovage, Plup, Juggleguy, Sensei
20: MacD, Kels, Phish-it, Strong Bad
21: Kage, Light, Soten, Skler
22: Ice, Tope, Rockcrock, Sol (toughest pool imo)
23: Stric, Vman, .JPG, Velocity
24: Cactuar, Weon-X, ?, ?
25: Darkatma, Zavage, Mafia, ? (easiest pool imo)
26: SFAT, Vudujin, Vist, ?
27: Shroomed, Cyrain, Aza, ?
28: Taj, IB, Zeldafreak, Winston
29: Vwins, Frootloop, ?, ?
30: Westballz, Gucci, TWebb, ThePrime
31: Wobbles, Strawhat Dahean, Shuta, G$
32: Zhu, Thorn, Zavage, ? (needs fixing; 2x Zavage)

Pools got changed lol.

Djent

Smash Champion
Teh Icy, I love you for making these threads, and I dedicate this song in your honor. That being said, I'm very excited for several matchups:

Pool 5 - Hax :falconmelee: vs. Diakonos :marthmelee:
Hax has historically struggled in the :marthmelee: matchup (see: HBK, IB) and has a tendency to go to Losers' early. However, his performance against The Moon at NEC XIII tells me that he's improved his matchup knowledge considerably.

Pool 6 - Silent Wolf :foxmelee: vs. TheLake :zeldamelee:
Remember Apex 2010 when TheLake took Shiz's :falcomelee: to last game, last stock in pools? He hasn't slowed down since, and while SW is one of the best :foxmelee:s in the nation he's at a significant matchup knowledge disadvantage.

Pool 7 - Scar :falconmelee: vs. Rayku :sheikmelee:
Both of these players have had stellar performances in the past, but I haven't seen much from either in recent years. I'm sure they're both still deadly, and it will be interesting to see who gets away with the coveted 1st seed.

Pool 9 - Vanz :peachmelee: vs. Abate :luigimelee:
Vanz has a lot of :luigimelee: experience, having at least a 1-1 record with Vudujin's :luigimelee:. Abate won't be able to pull any gimmicks off, but he may not need them. He's a phenomenal player looking to make his breakout on the national stage.

Pool 12 - Javi :foxmelee: vs. ESAM :samusmelee::foxmelee: vs. Idea :jigglypuffmelee: vs. Trail :icsmelee: vs. Toph :foxmelee:
Good God, why the **** is this pool so stacked? :eek: Javi is a known killer and will almost certainly take the 1st seed, but here are 4 other players who could easily get top 2 elsewhere. What the **** is gonna happen when they all get put together?!?

Pool 16 - S2J :falconmelee: vs. Colbol :foxmelee:
I can't believe this set is actually happening in pools, especially because both of these players are seeded. S2J has shown he has the capacity to take down top :foxmelee:s, but Colbol will be looking to finally show his A-game at the national level.

Pool 18 - Leffen :falcomelee::yoshimelee: vs. DJ Nintendo :randombrawl:
There's a very good chance this set will contain some obscure, barely-played matchup. Both of these players can easily make top 32, so getting that first seed is going to matter a lot for both of them. I expect this set to surprise me no matter what.

Pool 19 - Lovage :foxmelee: vs. Plup :samusmelee:
Plup made waves last Apex in doubles with Hungrybox, but placed a disappointing 33rd in singles. We all know this kid's good, but he's going to have to prove himself against one of the best :foxmelee:s in the country, and one who certainly knows the :samusmelee: matchup. Imma choke a ***** if this one doesn't get streamed.

Pool 21 - Kage :ganonmelee: vs. Skler :linkmelee:
Kage's :ganonmelee: has fallen to one Hero of Time before, but I think he has learned his lesson. I don't know how much Skler plays anymore, but I assume he still knows what he's doing. This match should be featured on the main stage, and probably played out on Hyrule Temple.

Pool 22 - Ice :sheikmelee::marthmelee: vs. RockCrock :ganonmelee::dkmelee: vs. J666 :linkmelee: vs. Tope :sheikmelee:
This is another one of those pools that I just can't believe is happening. Seriously, if you're not one of these 4 players you should be verrry worried about getting out at all. I suspect Ice will take top seed due to his proficiency at the :sheikmelee: ditto, but only if he abuses NTSC cheese on the winner of RockCrock vs. J666.

Pool 23 - StricNYN3 :falcomelee: vs. V3ctorman :falcomelee::yoshimelee:
I expect this will be an epic :falcomelee: ditto. Stric has a victory over Axe in the :falcomelee: matchup however, which may prompt V3ctorman to attempt his other character. If he does, he'll be fighting an uphill battle...we'll see what happens!

Pool 26 - Vist :luigimelee: vs. Vudujin :luigimelee: vs. SFAT :foxmelee:
Seriously, this is happening? Two of the best :luigimelee:s in the country face off in the same pool, and before Winners' Finals at that. Whoever wins this epic battle will still have to get through SFAT, which may lead to a low-traction rematch for 2nd seed!

Pool 32 - Zhu :falcomelee::foxmelee: vs. Th0rn :falcomelee:
Another epic :falcomelee: ditto - a matchup that both of these players are incredibly proficient in. I would have counted each of these guys to get 1st seed, if not for the fact that Winners' Finals are likely getting played out now.

I'm really excited for these matches, especially since Alex Strife recently made the decision to play out WF and LF instead of stopping at LSF. This is a big decision, and makes these predictions all the more hype! :reverse: I'll be watching this thread closely, though I'll be traveling on Friday/Sunday unfortunately.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
People are sleeping on Abate. He's gonna get 1st seed in his pool.

Also Colbol vs. JesiahTEG will be hype. Jesiah wrecks spacies. Pool 16 is one of the harder ones in general. Loser of Milkman and Nakamaru plays loser of Colbol and Jesiah to make it out. Milkman and Naka are both legit.

Djent

Smash Champion
I'm not sleeping on Abate. The guy's been on my radar since he got 13th at Zenith 2011. He's just gonna have to beat someone who 1) knows how to beat :luigimelee: and 2) has always done fantastically at nationals.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Well, pools got changed up anyway. They're all updated and Challongified now. :D

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Doubles Bracket is sort of up, but it's still under construction so I'm not posting it here yet.

.Ðempt

Certified Ponch
Pool 4 (my pool) is going to be pretty interesting since I only recognize two of the names on there, other than myself.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
I'm sure people are wondering whether or not Kage The Bull has implemented shield dropping into his game. I'll be on the lookout - he could possibly place top 8 if he has!

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
@KevinMDaBess

Follow him cause he's swag.

My pool prediction for mine is tentative based on how good Dayoshi is and if he can do damage in losers but currently I think it will be

1. KevinM
2. Scar
3. Bam
4. Rayku

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
You can find friendlies with M2K, leffen, Armada, IE, Volvagia, Kou, and some more in the twitch archives:

http://www.twitch.tv/InternetExplorer6

for anyone interested. I bet there will be more streams/players soon, because IE is housing a lot of players I think haha.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I just realized that I'm an idiot and I did the timezone differences backwards for myself, so I can't really put stuff in the OP since I'm busy for most of today, lol.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
OCRemix just released an APEX 2013 album!

From their Facebook:
SURPRISE FREE ALBUM RELEASE! Apex 2013: Straight to the Top!
DOWNLOAD! http://ocremix.org/info/Apex_2013:_Straight_to_the_Top

To celebrate the Apex Tournament Series 2013 fighting game tournaments going on THIS WEEKEND at Rutgers in New Brunswick, New Jersey, 10 talented ReMixers including director DarkeSword put together a short album featuring arrangements of ALL 10 games featured at the event! http://apex-series.com/

Get the album & watch the stream on http://ocremix.org/ for music & fisticuffs from:

• Super Smash Bros.
• Tekken Tag Tournament 2
• Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
• Persona 4 Arena
• Super Smash Bros. Melee
• Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
• The King of Fighters XIII
• Super Smash Bros. Brawl
• SoulCalibur V
• Pokémon Black & White 2

Be sure to camp out at http://ocremix.org/; we're streaming action from Apex ALL WEEKEND! GET HYPE! FIGHT!

Top Bottom