• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm actually excited to see what cool gimmick Sakurai has in store for Chrom.

It's happened with everyone else, I'm positive Chrom will have something.

Any ideas?

Reginleif

Smash Ace

Any ideas?
He summons Lucina from the Future and together they dual strike every opponent :)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm still thinking it'll either involve Dual Strike somehow, given that was a new series mechanic introduced in Awakening, or healing via Sol/Aether. Sure Ike didn't get that, but the way Sakurai designed Ike, healing wouldn't have really fit what he was going for.

@ FlareHabanero FlareHabanero Come on, man. You'll be getting Shulk anyway, but this continued badgering of the Chrom supporters is about as productive as BKupps' complaints about the roster. Just stop.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
@ FlareHabanero FlareHabanero Come on, man. You'll be getting Shulk anyway, but this continued badgering of the Chrom supporters is about as productive as BKupps' complaints about the roster. Just stop.
I'll stop once people stop pretending Wind Waker Marth is this demigod that can't do wrong, when there's easily more wrongs then rights.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Any ideas?
Have a previous post!

Why not give him the Blossfechten fighting style? Blossfechten is the Germanic martial art of fighting two-handed with a longsword when wearing minimal armor (there's a different fighting style, Harnischfechten, that encompasses armored swordplay, and it's one-handed, so a distinction is made between them). It would be accurate for the kind of character he is while also giving us a completely new fighting style.

There are five principles in blossfechten that the art is built upon. Vor, noch, swach, stark, and Indes. The words mean before, after, weak, strong, and meanwhile/interim.

Vor is offensive actions and nach is defensive actions. In blossfechten, a combatant must attempt to be in the vor (on the offensive) as much as possible. Since this is "unarmored" fighting, even one hit can be fatal, and being in the vor is preferable because you're more likely to hit first and less likely to be hit. Nach is more reactive; focusing on responding to the decisions made by the one in vor.

Swatch and stark are relating to how much force is applied in a bind of swords. Neither one is better. Swatch and stark simply contrast/compliment one another. Swatch is countered with stark and stark with swatch (strong force counters weak force and vice versa).

Indes is basically mindgames. Wikipedia says it well. "At the instant of contact with the opponent's blade, an experienced fencer uses 'feeling' (fühlen) to immediately sense his opponent's pressure in order to know whether he should be "weak or "strong" against him. He then either attacks using the "vor" or remains in the bind until his opponent acts, depending on what he feels is right. When his opponent starts to act, the fencer acts "indes" (meanwhile) and regains the "vor" before the opponent can finish his action."

Now, applying that to Smash Bros. is fairly simple. It can be implemented as an unoffensive gimmick (like Marth's tips).

How? Simple. Give him a special mechanic which motivates him to clash attacks with his opponent by making it cancel his attacks' ending lag (make it possible to attack immediately after) and/or make it increase frame lag for his opponent (making it easier to hit them) to put you into an advantage and let you combo them (essentially getting the opponent into nach and you into vor). This mechanic would then be built upon the swatch and stark contrast of "weak force counters strong force and strong force counters weak force". What I mean is that Chrom will have to clank his weak moves with his opponent's strong moves and clank his strong moves with his opponent's weak moves. And, of course, the moves would still have combo ability because hitboxes don't affect clashes too much. Only genuine hits. So if he's on the offensive already, he already has the advantage. This gimmick just helps him to get there.​

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Copy and paste Roy's moveset and pretend it's a new character.
You mean Marth's moveset? :troll:

Listen guys, I can understand not wanting Chrom, but you're not going to get anywhere if you go to his SUPPORT THREAD to complain about him. People who do this are either looking for attention or really want to get into an argument.

@ Pacack Pacack
That sounds really complicated but very interesting.

I'm personally thinking we're going to get some Power meter-ish gimmick for Chrom.
Something similar, not identical. No KO punches for Chrom.
I don't play a lot of FE (I have played it though) so I'm not sure what could really work. I just have the image in my head.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
You mean Marth's moveset? :troll:

Listen guys, I can understand not wanting Chrom, but you're not going to get anywhere if you go to his SUPPORT THREAD to complain about him. People who do this are either looking for attention or really want to get into an argument.

@ Pacack Pacack
That sounds really complicated but very interesting.

I'm personally thinking we're going to get some Power meter-ish gimmick for Chrom.
Something similar, not identical. No KO punches for Chrom.
I don't play a lot of FE (I have played it though) so I'm not sure what could really work. I just have the image in my head.
It's not really that complicated, is it? It's just clanking taken to another level.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'll stop once people stop pretending Wind Waker Marth is this demigod that can't do wrong, when there's easily more wrongs then rights.
"Just stop" coming into a support thread and trashing the character. Regardless of a character's positives or negatives, it's just a **** move and doesn't do anything constructive. Unless your sole reason for even considering posting here is to disrupt conversations, repeat conflicts and make people angry for no reason, there's no reason to even post here.

C'mon, you're smarter than that. And no one thinks he's a "demigod". Did you do this in the "Wind Waker Link" threads pre-Brawl?

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Copy and paste Roy's moveset and pretend it's a new character.
Even if that were the case, they're gonna have to makes some changes, like to the standard moves, to make the tipper actually work, or else Chrom's gonna suck ****.

I understand that having a reverse tipper could work if implanted right (and some people liking the idea of a reverse tipper on a character), but even then, I'm not fond of Roy (or any other character) having mechanic like that. I would rather have Marth keep a tipper gimmick, and have Sakurai come up with something more original, not just "reversing" an existing gimmick.

I've always said that if Chrom's chosen, I'm sure Sakurai thinks he could bring something new to the table. Sure, there's a chance Chrom may share some moves from existing characters (and I'm a little skeptical myself), but with all the newcomers we've seen so far, I'll wait and see until he's revealed.

MewKwota

Smash Rookie
Is it not too late to join the Support List?
I'm still new to the forums, but I've been supporting Chrom mentally for the longest time and kinda wanted to make a mark on that.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Is it not too late to join the Support List?
I'm still new to the forums, but I've been supporting Chrom mentally for the longest time and kinda wanted to make a mark on that.
Just here to support him. He’s been my most wanted before SSB4 was even revealed, but I guess that’s kind of obvious.
Welcome to the boards and to the Chrom support thread, fellow Chromrades!

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Just here to support him. He’s been my most wanted before SSB4 was even revealed, but I guess that’s kind of obvious.
Love your nick and your signature.

Is silly but I have high expectations for Chrom's crowd chant, it's tradition at this point. "Roy's Our Boy" "We like Ike"....except Marth ¬¬

Morbi

Scavenger
I have not been the most consistent Chrom supporter, he was one of my most wanted; however, after rediscovering Awakening, I fell in love with Robin. Albeit that sentiment seems fairly unlikely at this point, so I am excited about Chrom once again.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Why not support both, like I do? If Robin doesn't get in, and Chrom does, then that'll make us happy...right? It could even work in reverse and we'd still be happy.

I know I'd totally lose it if either of them were confirmed.

But I won't say no to Lucina, either...

Morbi

Scavenger
Why not support both, like I do? If Robin doesn't get in, and Chrom does, then that'll make us happy...right? It could even work in reverse and we'd still be happy.

I know I'd totally lose it if either of them were confirmed.

But I won't say no to Lucina, either...
That is a great idea; there is no reason that I cannot support both characters. In the event that either is confirmed, there would be absolute excitement. Unfortunately, I always find myself adhering to favoritism (despite enjoying Chrom and Robin equally, as characters).

Hong

The Strongest
In general I think the idea that Robin supporters have been trashing the Chrom thread have been exaggerated. The biggest opponents of the character support Robin because of the idealistic sense that they want anyone from Fire Emblem but Chrom, yet you won't find them in the Robin thread. Chrom got trashed pretty hard when Ike was revealed and Robin got more believers, but it looks to have subsided. Especially after the e3 reveals were true to the supposed leak, and people have gotten used to the idea of accepting Chrom and just waiting to see how he'll play.

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Y'know what, put me down as a supporter. Chrom would be pretty cool *signs nonexistent petition* Besides, he's pretty much in if you believe Gematsu.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Warning Received
"Just stop" coming into a support thread and trashing the character. Regardless of a character's positives or negatives, it's just a **** move and doesn't do anything constructive. Unless your sole reason for even considering posting here is to disrupt conversations, repeat conflicts and make people angry for no reason, there's no reason to even post here.

C'mon, you're smarter than that. And no one thinks he's a "demigod". Did you do this in the "Wind Waker Link" threads pre-Brawl?
Hey, I can't help it that all Chrom supporters are brain dead idiots that have never played video games before who are going to rewarded for being stupid.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Lets all be honest. Some of you like Chrom. Some of you hate Chrom.

Then Sakurai shows his trailer, showing a fighter who got the same love as Mega Man, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Pac Man, Rosalina, Palutena and even freaking Miis with a diverse moveset that looks fun and suddenly, love or hate him, you'll welcome him to Sm4sh with open arms for the amazing work Sakurai put into him. He's surprised me three times already, and at this point, I'd be surprised if Chrom didn't look fun.

Hail to the Waifu Taking King, Chrom for Smash 4!

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
So uh... I think this is a question that should be asked. Maybe it has been already.
You Chrom haters that are coming in here, which FE games have you actually played to completion?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Lets all be honest. Some of you like Chrom. Some of you hate Chrom.

Then Sakurai shows his trailer, showing a fighter who got the same love as Mega Man, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Pac Man, Rosalina, Palutena and even freaking Miis with a diverse moveset that looks fun and suddenly, love or hate him, you'll welcome him to Sm4sh with open arms for the amazing work Sakurai put into him. He's surprised me three times already, and at this point, I'd be surprised if Chrom didn't look fun.

Hail to the Waifu Taking King, Chrom for Smash 4!
I'm not buying into this "YOU'LL LEARN TO LOVE IT" crap, because there are still criticisms out there questioning the decisions for these characters.

My personal one are why the did they bother make three generic movesets for Mii Fighters, why is Mega Man surprisingly underwhelming, and why does Palutena even have a gimmick that no one is going to use?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I'm not buying into this "YOU'LL LEARN TO LOVE IT" crap, because there are still criticisms out there questioning the decisions for these characters.

My personal one are why the did they bother make three generic movesets for Mii Fighters, why is Mega Man surprisingly underwhelming, and why does Palutena even have a gimmick that no one is going to use?
Of course there are always criticisms in relation to character designs and character choices. However it's more about for most people how those critcisms impact their enjoyment of the game as a whole. As far as your particularly complains though I can understand them, I'm just not ready to criticize until I see the finish product and see how all of that plays out, particularly with the custom moves.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration

Certainly, but just like you're entitled to your opinion, so to is everyone else. Difference is, why come here and try to cause problems for others. If you hate the characters, don't go to their threads, easy as that.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
I know Chrom is "another Lord", but frankly all the doom and gloom arguments are starting to reek of "I wish it was Robin".
I'm more on the, "I wish it were Tiki boat" myself :p. With that out of the way it'll be interesting how Chrom's custom moves will handle and how it may or may not encroach on those of Marth and Ike (Since Marth's neutral custom where he dashes already encroaches on Ike's side neutral, also this assumes Ike retains his side neutral from Brawl).

One possible idea for his custom counter could be that one of his shepherds acts as a background character, much like Pokemon Trainer in Brawl, and depending on which character it is the counter will act differently if performed successfully.

Default: Lucina. She jumps in to block the attack and performs a powerful melee counter.
Custom 1: Robin. Robin teleports in, parries the attack with his/her sword, and performs a ranged counter attack.
Custom 2: Sumia. Sumia quickly swoops in on her Pegasus to block the attack, she will then charge, attack, and carry the opponent upwards with weak consecutive attacks.

Vickand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vickand
What about not getting just Chrom but pairing him with someone... and no, I'm not talking about Lucina or Robin... I'm talking about Kellam.

He just appears from nowhere (well, he was there already but no one noticed :awesome:) and attacks!

Just kidding but Kellam defending Chrom from an attack creating an opening for an attack can be an original and funny counter that uses the dual pair from awakening

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
What about not getting just Chrom but pairing him with someone... and no, I'm not talking about Lucina or Robin... I'm talking about Kellam.

He just appears from nowhere (well, he was there already but no one noticed :awesome:) and attacks!

Just kidding but Kellam defending Chrom from an attack creating an opening for an attack can be an original and funny counter that uses the dual pair from awakening
Who's Kellam? I don't remember him :troll:
That mechanic could work, though, just look at Zelda's Phantom. Have Chrom summon Lucina, Frederick or someone else.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Honestly, it would make sense for Chrom to do something like that. It's a shame that discussing potentially-original movesets is a cardinal sin amongst people who come in here to *****.

Anyway, I've actually been thinking for some specials he could summon in the Shepards. Say for his Up-B Sumia flies in and catches him, and then does a loop. Or just lifts off the ground if you're standing on the stage. I really think at least one special where he calls in Robin/Lucina/Frederick and they do a dual-strike sounds good.

His Smashes and normal attacks could easily be his own, but I have high hopes for his specials.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'd personally like it if Chrom is more traditional, even with his specials.

I do like the idea of a support character in the background though.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
One summon move would be enough, in my opinion. I don't want him to be over the top with weird moves, I like mobility and combo potential.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, at the very least, something like Sumia + Pegasus as an Up special seems appropriate. All the other stuff can be whatever.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh God if Kellam was Chrom's Counter, like the Phantom in a way, I'd probably die, haha. :laugh:

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Honestly, it would make sense for Chrom to do something like that. It's a shame that discussing potentially-original movesets is a cardinal sin amongst people who come in here to *****.

Anyway, I've actually been thinking for some specials he could summon in the Shepards. Say for his Up-B Sumia flies in and catches him, and then does a loop. Or just lifts off the ground if you're standing on the stage. I really think at least one special where he calls in Robin/Lucina/Frederick and they do a dual-strike sounds good.

His Smashes and normal attacks could easily be his own, but I have high hopes for his specials.
I've been thinking of some cool summoning specials as well.

His Side-B, on the ground, would involve Frederick getting summoned slightly behind him (already running). Then Chrom would grab hold in a swift motion as Frederick barrels through the opponent(s). You can also choose to jump off in order to follow-up Frederick's attack with an aerial or whatnot. In the air, the attack would involve Sumia suddenly flying out and basically preforming the same actions as Frederick, but while descending throughout the move. [customizing would change the characters and properties of the attack]

His Neutral-B could involve a magic user summoning behind him to imbue his sword with energy. What I mean by this is that it'd be a chargeable sword beam, having Chrom release the stored magic in a stylish attack. The power of the move obviously depends on how long you hold the charge, but the attributes of the move depend on the magic user chosen (sure there'd be a "base" one, but customizing the move would give you a different person, and therefore a different effect). Feel free to speculate on what the different magic users would contribute to the move.

I have ideas for other specials and such, including ways of balancing them and etc, but I'll just share this for now :).

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I'd personally like it if Chrom is more traditional, even with his specials.

I do like the idea of a support character in the background though.
I personally hope Chrom is as interesting as all the newcomers we've had thus far. I want him to be anything but standard.

As I posted in the Lucina thread, I think Chrom should be breaking the rules and really bringing in fresh mechanics to the table. All the newcomers except Greninja have brought in systems, concepts and mechanics the series has never seen before. I think now that Bandai Namco are on board, it's a good as time as ever to hope the developers will really push the envelope when it comes to original fighters.

That is where I got the idea for Javelin. While Peach, Link, and now Pac-Man can summon items, no one* in Smash Bros has been able to summon a usable weapon that you can swing. There is so much potential to be had, like if custom special moves could replace it with an iron lance or heavy spear, for example. People have wanted to see a weapon other than swords represented, and this is a way.

*Not counting the ever-so-slight chance of Peach pulling out a Beam Sword.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom