• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
You guys almost got me super excited... :laugh:

But SMT x FE is apparently moving along on schedule (Yamagami couldn't give more details at the Codename S.T.E.A.M roundtable). I still have faith that we'll see this game... eventually.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
According to an article on Gamerant, the Smash Roster was finalized a few years back. When FE13/FEA was released, developers were afraid it was going to bomb and be the last of the series, if I recall correctly. Chrom is my most wanted addition to Smash 4, as I loved Awakening. But, if that's all true isn't it possible they just put Ike back in with a redesign instead of the lord of the most current game to be safe? Fire Emblem has always had 2 slots since Melee and always had the most recent lord (sort of, poor Micaiah), seeing as Ike is still here... I'm not sure how much hope we have for my favorite Fire Emblem character, aside from a leak. I mean if the roster was decided 2 years ago when FEA's success wasn't predicted, why would they put Chrom in the new Smash Bros?

I'm going to be honest, I pretty much made an account here just to discuss this worry and hopefully have some of you change my mind about him having low chances.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
According to an article on Gamerant, the Smash Roster was finalized a few years back. When FE13/FEA was released, developers were afraid it was going to bomb and be the last of the series, if I recall correctly. Chrom is my most wanted addition to Smash 4, as I loved Awakening. But, if that's all true isn't it possible they just put Ike back in with a redesign instead of the lord of the most current game to be safe? Fire Emblem has always had 2 slots since Melee and always had the most recent lord (sort of, poor Micaiah), seeing as Ike is still here... I'm not sure how much hope we have for my favorite Fire Emblem character, aside from a leak. I mean if the roster was decided 2 years ago when FEA's success wasn't predicted, why would they put Chrom in the new Smash Bros?

I'm going to be honest, I pretty much made an account here just to discuss this worry and hopefully have some of you change my mind about him having low chances.
...Besides the fact that both Marth and Ike's character pages link you to Awakening's page? I dunno. Chrom is also one of my most wanted newcomers. The rest of the other Chrom supporters will most likely do a better job than I do.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Even under that scenario, they could have added Chrom as a "last hoo-rah."

But in order to ease your worry, I have two words. Gematsu Leak. :D

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Their Japanese character pages link to the Japanese websites for both Radiant Dawn and New Mystery of the Emblem.

EDIT: But I mean, that leak's all we have to go on, and they mean to tell me that Chorus Men will be a playable character?

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413

Don't worry, Sakurai said that he chose Greninja before Pokemon X/Y released and that his popularity had nothing to do with his choice. And then there's Roy that was released in Melee before his own game came out.
Sakurai normally contacts Gamefreak for Pokemon and Intelligent Systems for Fire Emblem, so he will most likely want to include a character from the most recent game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Their Japanese character pages link to the Japanese websites for both Radiant Dawn and New Mystery of the Emblem.

EDIT: But I mean, that leak's all we have to go on, and they mean to tell me that Chorus Men will be a playable character?
Yes, they will be. After all, the Sneaking Spirit was shown in Smash Run. Why would Rhythm Heaven of all series get an enemy without a playable character, when all enemies in Smash Run come from series with playable characters? :p

That should ease your worry about Chrom. I hope, haha.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Would they just play like Ice Climbers or something? I don't have anything against it, I'm just unfamiliar with Rhythm Heaven, so I'm not sure how they would fight.

I am feeling a bit better about Chrom, still slightly going through panic and whatnot, but I am aware that Sakurai (was it Sakurai?) said at one point, or at least implied they have more characters to reveal.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Would they just play like Ice Climbers or something? I don't have anything against it, I'm just unfamiliar with Rhythm Heaven, so I'm not sure how they would fight.

I am feeling a bit better about Chrom, still slightly going through panic and whatnot, but I am aware that Sakurai (was it Sakurai?) said at one point, or at least implied they have more characters to reveal.
I believe it was someone at the Treehouse who said it, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, if you want to learn more about the Chorus Men, check out their thread! It's really well run and informative, and full of posters who can help you visualize their potential, even if you haven't played Rhythm Heaven.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
@ D Deviddo First off, welcome to the Smash Boards!

On the sales thing: Awakening hit Japan in April 2012, with really impressive sales (first week passed Radiant Dawn's lifetime sales in Japan). SSB4 development began months later in June 2012. So I don't think the sales thing would stop anyone; In fact, that's probably the best thing Chrom has going for him besides a leak.

Adding on to that, I'm pretty sure Brawl's roster (save Sonic) was finalized in 2006 (I've heard in June, though I can't find a real source on that part). That wasn't the same year Brawl development began. So when it comes to finalizing SSB4's roster in 2012, Sakurai could have been lying and added more in 2013 :troll:

Honestly, I'm completely set on the idea Chrom is in (I'd give him 100% chances). The mentioned sales thing, getting Greninja in with popularity not yet playing a factor, and Sakurai definitely getting recommendations from IS give him a decent chance at being picked at the start of development. Being a Gematsu believer also might help.

However, despite me being completely convinced he's in, after Ike was revealed, I tend to pretend he's not joining (look at the avy) because of the golden "2 FE Reps max" rule. I do this so that I can still get a burst of excitement for the day he gets revealed.

And when he gets revealed, I hope Sakurai will redeem himself and get our Lord in the pic that he should have been in:

(At this moment, all Chrom fans thought their dreams were to come to life. Until...they scrolled down the page.)

Last edited:

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
@ D Deviddo First off, welcome to the Smash Boards!

On the sales thing: Awakening hit Japan in April 2012, with really impressive sales (first week passed Radiant Dawn's lifetime sales in Japan). SSB4 development began months later in June 2012. So I don't think the sales thing would stop anyone; In fact, that's probably the best thing Chrom has going for him besides a leak.

Adding on to that, I'm pretty sure Brawl's roster (save Sonic) was finalized in 2006 (I've heard in June, though I can't find a real source on that part). That wasn't the same year Brawl development began. So when it comes to finalizing SSB4's roster in 2012, Sakurai could have been lying and added more in 2013 :troll:

Honestly, I'm completely set on the idea Chrom is in (I'd give him 100% chances). The mentioned sales thing, getting Greninja in with popularity not yet playing a factor, and Sakurai definitely getting recommendations from IS give him a decent chance at being picked at the start of development. Being a Gematsu believer also might help.

However, despite me being completely convinced he's in, after Ike was revealed, I tend to pretend he's not joining (look at the avy) because of the golden "2 FE Reps max" rule. I do this so that I can still get a burst of excitement for the day he gets revealed.

And when he gets revealed, I hope Sakurai will redeem himself and get our Lord in the pic that he should have been in:

(At this moment, all Chrom fans thought their dreams were to come to life. Until...they scrolled down the page.)

Actually, you made me feel better as well. I like your avatar, btw. Makes me want to give that pooy guy a hug. Uh...no homo, though. *coughs*

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
By the way, I'm not keen on people setting themselves up for disappointment with expecting something else.

I mean, my expectations are abysmally low, but at the same there is nothing worse then people setting themselves up for disappointment when it can be easily avoided.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Anyway, if you want to learn more about the Chorus Men, check out their thread! It's really well run and informative, and full of posters who can help you visualize their potential, even if you haven't played Rhythm Heaven.
Thanks for the advertising Opo. ;)

With the Sal Leak around speculation has becoming boring and repetitive, and I'm honestly not expecting any newcomers outside of Gematsu (Mewtwo doesn't count). That being said I find it more fun and exciting to discuss how characters will play, rather than who will be in the game.

I've always thought that Chrom would act as a sort of middleman to Marth and Ike. Medium weight, medium strength, high speed, decent recovery. This is probably the most boring direction that Chrom can take and I know Sakurai will do something cool with him.
I had a moveset in mind that I'll try to post soon. Of course I don't know what Chrom's gimmick will be, so I don't know what his moveset will be either.

IronFish

Smash Ace
Thanks for the advertising Opo. ;)

With the Sal Leak around speculation has becoming boring and repetitive, and I'm honestly not expecting any newcomers outside of Gematsu (Mewtwo doesn't count). That being said I find it more fun and exciting to discuss how characters will play, rather than who will be in the game.

I've always thought that Chrom would act as a sort of middleman to Marth and Ike. Medium weight, medium strength, high speed, decent recovery. This is probably the most boring direction that Chrom can take and I know Sakurai will do something cool with him.
I had a moveset in mind that I'll try to post soon. Of course I don't know what Chrom's gimmick will be, so I don't know what his moveset will be either.
The problem is, with custom move for each character, most of the things Chrom would do, would be covered by Marth and Ike's custom specials for the most part.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The problem is, with custom move for each character, most of the things Chrom would do, would be covered by Marth and Ike's custom specials for the most part.
Oh well, I guess we have to cut Falco.

And you don't know that. Sakurai could have something amazing and unique in store.
I don't know, you don't know, nobody knows. We'll have to wait and see.

Because Chrom is in the game, of course.

IronFish

Smash Ace
Oh well, I guess we have to cut Falco.

And you don't know that. Sakurai could have something amazing and unique in store.
I don't know, you don't know, nobody knows. We'll have to wait and see.

Because Chrom is in the game, of course.
IF the leak is true. For me it just has to many holes in it to be fully believable.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
IF the leak is true. For me it just has to many holes in it to be fully believable.
- No Rosalina
+ 8/11
+ Rhythm Heaven enemy in Smash Run
+ Wii Fit Trainer
+ Mii Fighters "guessed" by name

"Holes"

No Rosalina is literally the only thing against it at the moment.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Too bad Chrom is not GAR/10 like Sol, because that would work in that case.

IronFish

Smash Ace
- No Rosalina
+ 8/11
+ Rhythm Heaven enemy in Smash Run
+ Wii Fit Trainer

"Holes"
-Greninja decided from the start of development, so "X/Y pokemon" is stupid.
-Vague names like "Animal Crossing Guy" could of meant Resseti or Tom Nook, not just Villager
-Why not just leak everything at once?
-Proximity to big Smash news
-No Xenoblade enemy (Though Shulk is probably in)

The Leak isn't real until Sakurai, or some other Nintendo exec says so themselves.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
To each their own.

You'll see in two months.

August Direct will likely reveal yet another Gematsu newcomer.

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Middle man may not work. Many Marth users are saying that he feels slow compared to his previous incarnation, so that niche seems gone.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
-Greninja decided from the start of development, so "X/Y pokemon" is stupid.
-Vague names like "Animal Crossing Guy" could of meant Resseti or Tom Nook, not just Villager
-Why not just leak everything at once?
-Proximity to big Smash news
-No Xenoblade enemy (Though Shulk is probably in)

The Leak isn't real until Sakurai, or some other Nintendo exec says so themselves.
I'm sorry, but this reeks of denial. We don't know when the list was made, so that covers Greninja. "Guy" generally refers to a male human. Resetti and Nook aren't human. The leaker obviously didn't know all the info at once. The proximity thing makes no sense as a detractor, and the last bit is inconclusive, as other series are also missing enemies (like Fire Emblem, Wii Fit, Animal Crossing, and I think StarFox). And obviously the staff wouldn't address the leak. Look, I get it, you dislike Chrom. But at this point you're just filled with too much denial to ignore the solid evidence because of a few minor "inconsistencies," if you can even call them that.

Anyway, I had a horrible dream that Frederick was shown instead, and was given a...different name. I think it was Jacques. Why did I have two Chrom dreams in a row? :confused:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'll be glad when we can have Chrom-related threads that don't have pointless detractors in it. Just like I'll be glad when I can post in a Shulk thread where it's creator isn't also lurking.

And @ FlareHabanero FlareHabanero We're adults here, or at least I am, so disappointment happens. You get over it. Bashing people's expectations when it gets them excited for something is terrible, and you ought to know that.

And I agree with Opo here @ IronFish IronFish , I'm really sorry things aren't looking up for Robin, because I support both characters, but when I can expect the same "You Chrom supporters are going to be disappointed too!" vibe from every single one of your posts in this thread, it just becomes a problem.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
And @ FlareHabanero FlareHabanero We're adults here, or at least I am, so disappointment happens. You get over it. Bashing people's expectations when it gets them excited for something is terrible, and you ought to know that.
If you want me to lie and say that Robin is a guarantee to show up and Chrom is not going to be seen at all so people can get all hyped up despite the unavoidable fate, then no.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I'm sorry, but this reeks of denial. We don't know when the list was made, so that covers Greninja. "Guy" generally refers to a male human. Resetti and Nook aren't human. The leaker obviously didn't know all the info at once. The proximity thing makes no sense as a detractor, and the last bit is inconclusive, as other series are also missing enemies (like Fire Emblem, Wii Fit, Animal Crossing, and I think StarFox). And obviously the staff wouldn't address the leak. Look, I get it, you dislike Chrom. But at this point you're just filled with too much denial to ignore the solid evidence because of a few minor "inconsistencies," if you can even call them that.

Anyway, I had a horrible dream that Frederick was shown instead, and was given a...different name. I think it was Jacques. Why did I have two Chrom dreams in a row? :confused:
That post reeks of more denial, most of those are valid points, you just worship the leak like a religion, because Chrom's chances are going down if you disregard the leak. Did you see how much Robin's support went up after after Ike's conformation? Can we just forget about the leak? It makes speculation boring.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If you want me to lie and say that Robin is a guarantee to show up and Chrom is not going to be seen at all so people can get all hyped up despite the unavoidable fate, then no.
You know I'm talking about the people who want to see Chrom. Don't even!

@ IronFish IronFish Just stop. No one's "worshiping" the leak. I'm getting a bit tired of all the strawmen.

Also, it doesn't matter how much Robin's support went up, clearly, since all characters were decided long before then. I don't doubt how much people want Robin, because again, I think he'd be cool too, but honestly bringing that up does nothing but leave more potential for unecessary conflict.

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Ok so I came here to say that I recently went from being like "I'd prefer Robin but Chrom would be cool" to actually supporting Chrom possibly in the acceptance stage of the Gematsu leak, but I just find it hilarious that most of this discussion involves people I'm ignoring. So... yeah. It's pretty petty too so I kinda regret seeing what they said.
But yeah, +1 Chrom supporter right here.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't think anyone can be "in denial" when believing the Gematsu Leak.

It makes speculation boring, but speculation is predicting what is likely to happen.
We aren't going to ignore it because it has a few newbies that you aren't fond of.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I don't think anyone can be "in denial" when believing the Gematsu Leak.

It makes speculation boring, but speculation is predicting what is likely to happen.
We aren't going to ignore it because it has a few newbies that you aren't fond of.
You say that yet don't realize most likely that the leak is just a guy "predicting what's likely to happen", either that or a guy who knows a little bit about the game.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Ok so I came here to say that I recently went from being like "I'd prefer Robin but Chrom would be cool" to actually supporting Chrom possibly in the acceptance stage of the Gematsu leak, but I just find it hilarious that most of this discussion involves people I'm ignoring. So... yeah. It's pretty petty too so I kinda regret seeing what they said.
But yeah, +1 Chrom supporter right here.
Someone else who ignores non-constructive discussions! (Most of them...) *High-five*!

Honestly I just wish all the newcomers had been announced already, because it's just going to be the same back and forth "That's not confirmed and is probably bull**** because *insert one specific reason that's easily dismissable given the nature of leaks.*" and a rebuttal of "Sigh. I guess we'll wait and see." And when Party #2 is right in the end, it's just going to be unfortunate for Party #1.

@ IronFish IronFish I suppose exactly predicting "Mii Fighters" was just another accident. Do people who dispute the leak actually understand anything about probability?

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Let me say it right here.

I am not going to trick people into thinking the wrong way just to be horribly disappointed, because that will make the roster reveal sting more. Hence why I'm going out of my way to do the opposite by saying "accept it now or regret it later". This more so has to do with making sure supporters of Robin don't become devastated and use Chrom as the scapegoat, not hating on Chrom.

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Someone else who ignores non-constructive discussions! (Most of them...) *High-five*!

Honestly I just wish all the newcomers had been announced already, because it's just going to be the same back and forth "That's not confirmed and is probably bull**** because *insert one specific reason that's easily dismissable given the nature of leaks.*" and a rebuttal of "Sigh. I guess we'll wait and see." And when Party #2 is right in the end, it's just going to be unfortunate for Party #1.

@ IronFish IronFish I suppose exactly predicting "Mii Fighters" was just another accident. Do people who dispute the leak actually understand anything about probability?
Yeah, to be honest that's part of the reason why I was going through the 5 stages of grief with the Gematsu leak. It really killed speculation, cause then people could just go "NO NOT HAPPENING CAUSE IT'S NOT GEMATSU" but I've just kind of been accepting it because I supported Shulk anyway, if Chrom gets in Awakening gets some representation at all (plus I'm sure Sakurai can do something unique with him, "lil mac only punches") and Chrous Men could be pretty cool, especially in the event that they have a rhythm-based moveset.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Let me say it right here.

I am not going to trick people into thinking the wrong way just to be horribly disappointed, because that will make the roster reveal sting more. Hence why I'm going out of my way to do the opposite by saying "accept it now or regret it later". This more so has to do with making sure supporters of Robin don't become devastated and use Chrom as the scapegoat, not hating on Chrom.
I see now. How...unexpected of you. I certainly agree, because I was already fed up enough with Lucario and Greninja being scapegoats for Mewtwo. Chrom's situation is worse yet. I'm glad we can agree on that, at least!

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace

I honestly think the leaker only has half of the information, but seriously how did he(or she) get Wii Fit Trainer and get Mii Fighters, but have to be so vague with "Animal Crossing Guy" and "X/Y Pokemon", or not get Rosalina?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I honestly think the leaker only has half of the information, but seriously how did he(or she) get Wii Fit Trainer and get Mii Fighters, but have to be so vague with "Animal Crossing Guy" and "X/Y Pokemon", or not get Rosalina?
I'm tired of answering the same question, it's likely impossible to know how the information was gained, as pretty much every single leak is. Sometimes, they miss small details, despite being accurate. All of this will surely fall on deaf ears, but objectively there's more going for the leak than against it.

And frankly, getting "Mii Fighters" (Which I've never seen anyone predict and you haven't either) specifically right (Which by the way implies updated information, meaning everything else is still current.) should've been a nail in that coffin for anyone with common sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom