• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
It took me this far to notice the Great Lord outfit covers Chrom's right arm. Facepalm to myself.

Last edited:

Rosalina&Greninja

Smash Apprentice
So I went to look up more about Chrom and I come across this picture

Talk about sexy, ALT PLEASE!

Also, Is that a tat on Chrom shoulder? I'm not really fond of those.

IronFish

Smash Ace
Rosalina just kind of proves Chrom is going to be get rotten tomatoes out the gate on his debut no matter what he does. :/

It's no secret that I have other Fire Emblem characters I rather have more. Of course. I've been playing since the third game in the series. That said, he's still a great character from a great game, which has a host of fans waiting for him. A fan-base that has doubled since the debut of his game, and would just love to see him, or really any star from Awakening appear. I want to see Chrom, in full HD, with Matthew Mercer on point in at least SOME fashion.
>Chrom revealed
>Matthew Mercer isn't VA
>Tom Kenny

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The customization she has with her specials gave people a sour taste, there is a fear she may be overpowered due to bias, and some folks just simply see her a boring.

I don't exactly disagree with her being underwhelming to be honest.
I thought her trailer was underwhelming considering the over-abundance of Special Moves demonstrated didn't give off a coherent playstyle. In other words, quantity over quality.

I hope Shulk doesn't get the same treatment as Palutena.

I think his default look will be Lord, with Great Lord as an Alternate Costume. Though, I think he might still use the Exalted Falchion either way.
People say Chrom can't be unique, right? He can be the only FE character with a sword and shield. Link has a sword and shield but his move set is mostly made up of items and basic attacks from Zelda games. Giving Chrom something unique with both the Falchion and the Fire Emblem wouldn't be too hard.

It's better than giving him a lance and dropping the Falchion entirely.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Im eager to see what he will do with chrom, and more then likely once those who dont want him see his moveset they might shut up once and for all.

Hong

The Strongest
Chrom still has a lot of territory to fill, either as an offensive character, or more obscurely has some defensive play style options as well. Strange that the idea of him being balanced comes up so often.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
You know, I maaaay just make a Chrom moveset variant to incorporate the Vor and Noch of Blossfechten along with custom moveset ideas. Shoutout to @ Pacack Pacack .

It would be before Monado Monday or Rhythm Monday or Chromised Monday or what have you. That is, if I am I for it later.

Last edited:

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
July 15th is the release anniversary of Fire Emblem: Tharcia 776 and New Mystery of the Heroes.
In Japan, the Character reveal will be taking place one hour before midnight on the 14th.

Maybe Chrom will be revealed?

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
July 15th is the release anniversary of Fire Emblem: Tharcia 776 and New Mystery of the Heroes.
In Japan, the Character reveal will be taking place one hour before midnight on the 14th.

Maybe Chrom will be revealed?
"Anything Can Change!"

...Okay, that was bad. I'm sorry.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Oh come on, it's the topic title and a quote of the character the topic is talking about!

I'd say it's perfect.

Morbi

Scavenger
I have come to support my allegiance to Lord Chrom. I do believe that he is the most likely Gematsu leak character to be revealed. Hopefully, he surprises everyone including the Shulk fans! :dazwa:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Chrom and Shulk are my two most wanted characters for this game, sometimes I view Chrom as my #1 most wanted, and other times I change my mind and want Shulk as my #1 character, so I'll be a happy man regardless tomorrow.... Unless the Chorus Men are shown...

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Yo guys, still spot for another supporter? I've been a quiet one (because FE-debates don't interest me), but nonetheless, I'm just wanting to see 'em all naysayers be (hopefully) blown away by creativity that can be put on Chrom's apparently bland character and looks. I remember being pretty irked by these kind of arguments against him...

I don't think he'll be shown today though.

Last edited:

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
The leaker may have spoken but remember, fellow shepherds. Anything can change, hopefully. ^-^

I actually don't mind what newcomer we're getting, but let's hope it's our character.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Even with Sal's most recent tip, just thought I'd leave this treat here. Would like to get it into the OP ASAP, with formatting fixes to remove the awkward dupe spoiler.

Playstyle
Chrom is a midweight rushdown fighter, pressuring opponents into submission and limiting them from reversing his momentum. His attacks come out quick and have good damage. However, they prioritize a slight offensive edge to compensate for decreased speed. Not as quick and light as Marth. Not as powerful and heavy as Ike. His medium weight & attack power along with some mobility options give him stable room to duel opponents.

Chrom's specialty is dueling opponents preferably one-on-one. This is assisted by his Swatch and Stark mechanics on his standards & aerials. These gimmicks only activate with hitbox collisions for characters only. Which one registers depends on the amount of frames Chrom's attack has against the first opponent hit. These create comboing, escaping, and punishing opportunities from Chrom to capitalize on.

Swatch: "Strong force", increases frame lag for his opponent. Registers if Chrom's attack has less frames remaining than opponent. Cosmetically indicated by an orangish-red flash upon the blade. Considered to be acting out of nach.
Stark: "Weak force", cancels ending lag on his attack. Registers if Chrom's attack has more frames than opponent. Cosmetically indicated by a teal flash upon the blade. Considered to be acting out of vor.

Mastery of these mechanics means that mains should learn the frame data on Chrom's attacks in order to match the desired effect when clashing certain characters' attacks.

Attributes

Height: Slightly taller than Marth
Weight Class: Medium Heavy
Walk/Run/Fall Speed: 4 to 10/6 to 10/5 to 10
Traction: 6/10
# of jumps: 2
Wall Cling/Jump?: No
Crawl?: No

Legend

→, ↘, ↓, ↙, ←, ↖, ↑, ↗, - Knockback Angle

↻ - Knockback equals direction of attack
□□□■■■■□□□ (□□□) - Present Windup, then Hit, then Cooldown, (landing lag for aerial-based attacks)

() - Indicates cancellable frames (usually used within moves)

[] - Indicates sweetspot

Special Moves
Neutral Special - Leaping Slash → > ↗ > ↘
Chrom holds out his Falchion for a charge. When he releases the charge, he will jump forward in an arc that becomes longer with charge and do an overhead slash. The longer he charges, the farther he jumps and the less transparent a glow of blue flames will be on his Falchion.

Instant (w/o charge): Chrom jumps a space right in front of himself. The arc is parabolic and takes 1 ½ seconds to execute.
■■□□
½ charge: Chrom jumps in an arc roughly two Stage Builder blocks in front of himself. □□■■■■□□
¾ charge: Chrom jumps in an arc roughly four Stage Builder blocks in front of himself. □□■■■■■□□
Full charge: Chrom will jump roughly half the length of Final Destination. The arc will be high enough that large projectiles can be avoided during the jump. □□□■■■■■■■□□□
Additionally, at any point during the jump, Chrom can end it by falling with his sword raised out. You can do this by pressing down and the attack button.

Customs
Mantis Leaping Slash → > ↗ > ↘: After charging, Chrom rapidly rotates his body with Falchion outstretched, hitting multiple times before landing (Taken from Two Falchions.)
Indefatigable
Leaping Slash → > ↗ > ↘: After charging, Chrom initiates the jump slash as normal, but with super armor. Upon landing, Chrom's strike will bury the opponent. Using your falling attack to cancel this move also buries.
Chrom occasionally does this attack in Fire Emblem: Awakening, usually when at a fair distance, critically striking, and in the Fire Emblem: Awakening Puzzle Swap panel and the Two Falchions cutscene, where he fights Marth. Also a known nitpick that Awakening's character animations are abundant of jump attacks.

Side Special - Dual Strike →
Chrom does a downward diagonal slash before bounding forward and drawing another slash back. His Falchion glows with blue flames as he slashes. Both strikes cannot be cancelled, but the speed into the second slash can be executed quicker by tilting forward and pressing special button again.
□□□□■■(■■)(□□□) > □□■■■■□□□□
> Aether →

If the second slash is done during a short point of frames in the animation, Chrom will swing his Falchion to hold it overhead with both hands and slashing forward with reddish-orange flames. It will hit with a sparkling effect that glows bright before fading out along with the lifesteal sound when Aether hits in Awakening. Chrom can transfer his damage from 3%-8% between him and heal for the same amount from the opponent’s damage he hits.
□□□□■■(■■)(□□□) > [□□]□■■■■■□□□□

Customs
Axel Dual Strike: Chrom's second strike has him rotate Falchion's tip 5 times in quick succession for chip damage.
Upper Slash Dual Strike → > ↑: Chrom's second strike is angled upwards, causing the direction of knockback to be upwards and slightly more powerful.

Dual Strike is an ability first learned in the Lord class. This ability premiered in Fire Emblem: Awakening with the advent of the Pair Up system.

Aether is an ability learn by Great Lords at Level 5 in Awakening and by the Occult Scroll to Lords and Heroes in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, the game it was introduced in. It alternates the effects of the Sol and Luna skills by a percentage of the enemy’s Skill stat. It’s iconicity to the Super Smash Bros. series is as Ike’s Up Special.

Up Special - Javelin Carousel
Chrom takes out a javelin, rapidly spinning its handle overhead. Upon startup, Chrom will be suspended in place for a second before coptering up. The javelin is only an inch bigger on both sides than Chrom horizontally. Chrom holds out the javelin until he makes contact with a ledge, surface, or does an aerial or special attack.
□□□□□■■■■■■□□□□ (□□□)
> Attack Button + Left/Right/Down while tilting: Javelin Toss ↻

Chrom throws his javelin to his left side, right side, or below him depending on the direction the control stick is held along with the attack button. The javelin travels in a straight path, continually curving downwards the more distance it gets. It causes knockback upon hit.
□□□■■□□□ (□□□)

> Attack Button + Left/Right/Down while holding: Javelin Lunge ↻ □□□□■■■■■□□□□ (□□□)
Chrom lunges to his left side, right side, or below him with his javelin pointing out.

Customs
Burning Javelin Carousel: Chrom spins his javelin in a fiery ring, causing greater damage and knockback. He may let go of the javelin any time to send himself freefalling, but the javelin will copter upwards for a few seconds.
Cyclone Javelin Carousel: Chrom spins his javelin faster than normal, propelling him higher and blowing opponents back with a wind hitbox.

Once Chrom promotes to Great Lord (or Paladin for that matter), he gains the ability to use Lances. Javelins are lances which can attack at either close or at distance. Being the first lord in the Smash series to use an alternate weapon other than a sword, this would differentiate him a fair bit.

Down Special - Counter →
“Think again!”, “Have another!”

Chrom blocks in front of him with the Fire Emblem. If he is hit at the right time, he performs an obtusely-angled slash from above his shoulder to in front of him in the direction he was hit. □□□[□□□□□]□□□ > ■■■■■□□□□

Customs

Phalanx Counter: After being hit, Chrom dashes in the direction he was hit, hitting multiple times.
Reverb Counter: After being hit, Chrom stays in place as the Fire Emblem blows a pulse of magic fire to send opponents back.

Every Fire Emblem character featured in Smash so far has a Counter as their Down Special, where they respond after being hit by an attack with another. Furthermore, the slash arc and direction vary from lord to lord.

The eponymous Fire Emblem is a mythical object that takes many forms depending on the game it is featured in like a MacGuffin. In Awakening, it takes the form of a shield used as the crest for the Ylissean royal family which has six beads containing the elemental powers of Naga.

Final Smash - Fate of Falchions → > ↻ > ↖, ↗
“Now…”

Chrom raises his Falchion over his head as it glows with blue flames. He then does a massive dashing slash forward at a medium length. This Final Smash activates when it makes contact with an opponent, where they are suspended in blue haze before Chrom.

A rift portal (the one in the second cutscene of Awakening) opens above the space over the opposite end of Chrom before closing, where Lucina in her Masked Marth outfit drops down.

“As one!”

Chrom and Lucina perform a volley of fierce, blue flaming slashes, doing so while they rotate around the opponent and other opponents who contact them (like being stuck in Link‘s Triforce Slash.) After 8 seconds, Chrom and Lucina draw their Falchions by their sides before slashing across in a blue glowing X, causing massive damage and knockback to the opponent and whoever else is caught in it. They land precisely with Lucina saluting in with a bow of her head and a hand over her chest before fading away in a blue flicker.

Chrom and Lucina are pitted in a rivalry of sorts in the early chapters of Awakening. They share a father-daughter relationship and both wield the Falchion, although from different periods of time. Their united sword combo is reminiscent of a scene in the Awakening intro movie where they are briefly shown fencing swords. I guess you can consider her cameo as a “consolation prize” to her fans if she isn’t included in the game.

Grapples
Pummel: Chrom knees his opponent to where the shin should be. →
■■
Down Throw - Pair Up > Assist/Guard
A nod to the Pair Up system introduced in his game (although not necessarily in the same function,) Chrom shoves his opponent behind his side, where they will be suspended in stuttering idle and walk animations as they are paired. The opponent will follow Chrom a certain distance for 4 seconds before regaining control of themselves or when Chrom moves too far away for them to keep following. Chrom cannot do any other action besides ground movement until he “throws” the character by tilting the control stick where they will dash before him and take damage from any attack in that direction or tilting the control stick plus the attack button, where they will do the first hit in their Jab.

Forward Throw: Chrom quickly winds his arm back before tossing his opponent forward. ↗ □□■■■□□□
Back Throw: Chrom backhand tosses his opponent. ↖ □□■■■□□□
Up Throw: Chrom quickly winds his arm below him before tossing his opponent above him. ↑ □□□■■■□□□□

Standard Attacks
Jab: Chrom delivers a forward slash, then swiping back diagonally upwards before sweeping his opponent off his feet with a two-hand diagonal downward slash. →
□□□■■■□□□ > □□□■■■□□□ > □□□□■■■■□□□
Dash: Chrom does a wide forward slash that reaches out before going across his shoulder. ↗ □□□□□■■■■■□□□□
Forward Tilt: Chrom rotates the hilt of Falchion, scrapping before him with its blade. (Taken from Two Falchions.) →
Up Tilt: Chrom slashes a quick arc above his head. ↑ □□□■■■■□□□□
Down Tilt: Chrom sweep slashes Falchion towards where the feet should be on the opponent. →
Forward Smash: Chrom draws back Falchion to his side before thrusting his arms in a massive lunge. Propels himself forward slightly with greater distance when fully charged. (Taken from Two Falchions.) → □□□□□(□□□□□)■■■■■■□□□□□
Up Smash: Chrom crouches before hoping up for a fierce uppercut slash, bounding slightly in the air before regaining footing. ↑
Down Smash: Chrom sweeps his Falchion below him, then behind him. (Like every freakin' swordsman before him.) →, ← □□□□(□□□□□)■■■■■■■□□□□□□■■■■■■■□□□□
Get Up: Chrom slashes his Falchion around him as he gets to his feet. ←, → ■■■□□
Ledge: Chrom lunges the tip of his Falchion forward. → ■■□□

Aerial Attacks

Neutral Air: Chrom crouches with Falchion outstretched, rapidly rotating his body in a multihit attack. (Like Meta Knight's Neutral Air, taken from Two Falchions.) ↖, ↗ □□□■■■■■■■□□ (□□)
Forward Air: Chrom raised Falchion overhead and slashes downwards. ↗ > ↘ □□□□■■■■■□□□ (□□)
Back Air: Chrom jabs with his other hands before thrusting his Falchion behind him. ↖ ■■■□□□□■■■■■□□□ (□□)
Up Air: Chrom does an uppercut slash in a wide arc. ↑ ■■■■■□□□□ (□□□)
Down Air: Chrom stabs the Falchion down between his legs, falling towards the bottom of the stage for a second. Gains fair distance and can spike if whipped out during the startup frames. ↓ [□]■■■■■■□□□□□ (□□□)

Taunts
Up Taunt: Chrom bows as he puts the jewel in the handle of the Falchion before his left eye as he closes them solemnly. The symbol of the Ylissean royal family puffs out in blue flames before Chrom draws the sword to its default stance.
Side Taunt: Chrom steps forward as he extends the Falchion outward, saying “Anything can change!” before spinning Falchion by the handle back to his side.
Down Taunt: Chrom stabs Falchion into the ground, places both hands on the handle, and kneels down facing the screen, saying “My strength is yours.” as if he is speaking to the player.

Special Thanks
@ Pacack Pacack for inspiring the Swatch and Stark mechanics in a brilliant post detailing the principles of Blossfecthen.
@Conren for the frame bar idea inspired off of your MYM Anna moveset.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Nope, he's a Final Smash for Lucina.
Chrom De-confirmed, because Captain Falcon.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Lucina is a marth clone, Chrom is a final smash, and no monado Monday

This is the darkest timeline

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Seems silly that Chrom is just a final smash. If he's gonna have a model why not just make him an alt Costume for Lucina? They share the same fighting style anyways. Lucina is cool too though it always came down to wanting one of those two the most. Preferred Chrom more but I can live with Lucina and Laura Bailey's sweet voice. Robin though looks bland as **** to me. Confirmed exactly why I didn't want him in that a generic Robin kills everything I like about the character. Easily the newcomer I'm least excited for.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Wow, didn't see that coming for you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom