• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Chrom doesn't experience nearly as much hate in places with a more casual audience. Then again they'll clap their hands at any new character that comes along and looks cool.
Which is why Shulk will be well-received. He is a guy with a funky-looking sword that has many different abilities.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think it was any secret that Shulk will be well-received. Most characters turn out to be well-received. Chorus Men would be received pretty favourably if they had been revealed a few months ago.

Seeing a character in game does wonders for evaporating their detractors. There will still be a few people who decry Chrom post-reveal, but it won't be nearly as noticeable as it is now.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I just want closer at this point. I greatly prefer Robin, but I want whoever's the 3rd FE rep to be revealed already as Chrom's the only reason I'm opposed to that leak to begin with. If he's in then so be it, I just want to be done with that damned leak and with all the speculation. If not a FE character, then someone non-Gematsu. I love Shulk, but I can wait an extra month for him.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Seeing a character in game does wonders for evaporating their detractors. There will still be a few people who decry Chrom post-reveal, but it won't be nearly as noticeable as it is now.
That sort of depends on what Chrom is like as a fighter. If he ends up being a very unique character that can easily differentiate himself from the other Fire Emblem characters, I think most people would be happy with him. On the other hand, if the worst case scenario happens and Chrom ends up being a partial clone of Marth or Ike, then there's probably going to be a fair number of people that are left unsatisfied.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That sort of depends on what Chrom is like as a fighter. If he ends up being a very unique character that can easily differentiate himself from the other Fire Emblem characters, I think most people would be happy with him. On the other hand, if the worst case scenario happens and Chrom ends up being a partial clone of Marth or Ike, then there's probably going to be a fair number of people that are left unsatisfied.
That's true, I guess I just assumed he'd be fairly unique. :laugh:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Y'know, regarding people's expectations, I'm hoping that they'll pull a Rosalina with Chrom. As in people automatically assume that he will be nothing more than a clone and when they decide to show him, he will be better than expected.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Y'know, regarding people's expectations, I'm hoping that they'll pull a Rosalina with Chrom. As in people automatically assume that he will be nothing more than a clone and when they decide to show him, he will be better than expected.
I would like to hope so. Though with Rosalina, while she looked similar to Peach, she clearly displayed powers in the Galaxy games that were unique to her alone, which ended up being expanded upon when making her move set. They also incorporated a major part of her character (the bond she shares with the Lumas) into a gimmick that made Rosalina into one of the most unique newcomers we've seen so far.

Chrom, sadly, has the distinction of not only looking similar to another character from his series already on the roster (two, actually), but he also has the exact same abilities as them. The possibilities for differentiating himself from them are somewhat limited. I find it somewhat unlikely that we'll get a completely unique Chrom, unfortunately.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I would like to hope so. Though with Rosalina, while she looked similar to Peach, she clearly displayed powers in the Galaxy games that were unique to her alone, which ended up being expanded upon when making her move set. They also incorporated a major part of her character (the bond she shares with the Lumas) into a gimmick that made Rosalina into one of the most unique newcomers we've seen so far.

Chrom, sadly, has the distinction of not only looking similar to another character from his series already on the roster (two, actually), but he also has the exact same abilities as them. The possibilities for differentiating himself from them are somewhat limited. I find it somewhat unlikely that we'll get a completely unique Chrom, unfortunately.
Well, it isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility that they could create some kind of concept for Chrom that can resolve that problem, maybe something involving the Exalted Falchion.

Another K-2L Survivor

The Zebesian Swordsman
US / Somewhere in deep space. Probably the former.
NNID
The_Last_Taguel
3DS FC
2681-0963-8959
Well, it isn't entirely out of the realm of possibility that they could create some kind of concept for Chrom that can resolve that problem, maybe something involving the Exalted Falchion.
I'm not remotely sure as to what such a concept would entail, but I'd REALLY love to see the Exalted Falchion shine on Smash Wii U

Hong

The Strongest
Would be strange to have a power 19/20 players won't even know exists on Chrom's sword, yet not have a power Ike uses automatically every battle he participated in his own source material.

More so Chrom uses the same sword as Marth, which had all the same powers, and Marth has appeared in three entries now.

And it's not like healing is a play style, so much as an ultra amazing rare mechanic in fighting games only offered at an obscene resource cost and always compliments the character functionality, so healing not being part of Marth's offence isn't much rebuke.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
but he also has the exact same abilities as them.
Redesigned Falchion (this actually means nothing, Falchion powers can't translate to Smash).
Horizontal Aether.
Semi-roughly style.

End

Marth and Ike doesn't have the same ingame battle/cutscenes animations as Chrom. They don't use horses or lances. And their playstyle in Smash don't match them at all (c'mon an slow Ike, no sword beam, no axes, no complete Aether? Marth with a tipper gimmick in the Falchion, Swordmaster skills and animations?). I forget, in the cutscenes we see Chrom wielding the Falchion with two hands, Marth and Ike are single-handed.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Part of the reason I'd still be super hyped to see Chrom on Monday (No offense to the big lug, but I'm on the Shulk train, and I can't sit on two trains bound for the same destination at once!) is that it'd be the end of the moveset decryers.

Oh how I can't wait for that. And I'm sure Chrom's trailer is going to be super hype as well.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Would be strange to have a power 19/20 players won't even know exists on Chrom's sword, yet not have a power Ike uses automatically every battle he participated in his own source material.

More so Chrom uses the same sword as Marth, which had all the same powers, and Marth has appeared in three entries now.

And it's not like healing is a play style, so much as an ultra amazing rare mechanic in fighting games only offered at an obscene resource cost and always compliments the character functionality, so healing not being part of Marth's offence isn't much rebuke.
I haven't played Awakening, so my knowledge on it is very little. I was thinking of it as more of a damage boost that is rewarded when hitting opponents rather than the healing factor it has.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
To bounce a crazy Rosalina esc original idea, Chrom could pull out Einherjar cards and act as a summoner character, calling upon iconic unrepresented characters from FE. Sort of what people were expecting Pac-man to do when he was first revealed.

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I doubt Sakurai will give Chrom many gimmicks to distinguish him from Ike and Marth when Ike and Marth themselves are relatively simple concept wise. He'll probably be unique but mostly in the subtle details as opposed to bringing anything new concept wise or being radically different from his fellow FE swordsman. He'll be a "pseudo-clone" like Luigi, Falco, Lucas, and Wolf before him but he'll be fun regardless.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I doubt Sakurai will give Chrom many gimmicks to distinguish him from Ike and Marth when Ike and Marth themselves are relatively simple concept wise. He'll probably be unique but mostly in the subtle details as opposed to bringing anything new concept wise or being radically different from his fellow FE swordsman. He'll be a "pseudo-clone" like Luigi, Falco, Lucas, and Wolf before him but he'll be fun regardless.
From the trend of newcomers we've gotten so far, I'll be surprised if this is the end result.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I believe that Sakurai can make Chrom a unique character. He could play on some styles that Ike and Marth don't use... but I don't think that Chrom would be the best representation for both Awakening and Fire Emblem as a series. We have yet to see a magic user, and mages/magic is a big part of FE anyway.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Chrom being a semi-clone would be an utter waste of a FE spot, as it's not like he was a super late addition, he was at least planned before Sakurai had even narrowed the Pokemon rep down to Greninja.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I believe that Sakurai can make Chrom a unique character. He could play on some styles that Ike and Marth don't use... but I don't think that Chrom would be the best representation for both Awakening and Fire Emblem as a series. We have yet to see a magic user, and mages/magic is a big part of FE anyway.
So are lances and axes. Don't forget about them.

Hong

The Strongest
Personally I would love to see lances and staves before anything. Also, I think bows have a lot of potential.

Coincidentally, Chrom can interestingly enough reclass to use all but staves.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't think Chrom's going to be a semi-clone considering how early he was planned, and the current direction with newcomers.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I feel Chrom, along with Marth and Ike are the overarcing best representation of FE.

Even if Chrom isn't as unique as some other possible fighters, I won't deny that at all. But I feel since Awakening was a celebration of FE of sorts and Chrom IS the main star, Robin may be partly but in the end it is Chrom's game.

Marth and Ike also made some cameos with the strongest feeling, Lucina impersonated Marth, Ike's descendant is an unlock-able

I feel bringing all 3 together will be a huge just. Look at how far we've come, and I know they all have blue hair and swords. Not every lord has those qualities though but these 3 happen to be the ones with Multiple Games (except Chrom) and the main lord of the game that saved the franchise, that holds some significant weight (Funny as Awakening removed the weapon WT system) but thats how I feel.

I'd love other fighters heck even over Chrom but I feel he is the best choice.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I feel bringing all 3 together will be a huge just. Look at how far we've come, and I know they all have blue hair and swords. Not every lord has those qualities though but these 3 happen to be the ones with Multiple Games (except Chrom) and the main lord of the game that saved the franchise, that holds some significant weight (Funny as Awakening removed the weapon WT system) but thats how I feel.

Well, to be fair, blue hair is awesome.:p

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
From the trend of newcomers we've gotten so far, I'll be surprised if this is the end result.
It mostly depends on why Chrom would be considered. Unlike the other newcomers aside from Villager, Chrom is largely riding on the fact that he's the new main character in an franchise already established in Smash while the other newcomers are either from new franchises (and probably held to a higher standard to get their series represented), were picked for uniqueness over main character status or prominence, or is a character Sakurai personally helped develop. I don't think its wise to expect Chrom to be particularly unique if him being the main character of Awakening is the major reason for his inclusion. Sakurai has surprised us before but he's also disappointed us horribly (*coughGanondorf3Landmasterscough*)

The one thing that makes me doubt this is Sakurai deciding to retain Ike which seems strange to me if he was putting in Chrom so he might have something good for him (that or he might have cut Chrom early on and put in Robin :p).

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
A character who has been in development, technically, for over five years though?
True, I'm honestly surprised with how much change some people got and how little aka not at all Toon Link changed, but quite a number of people like how he works as is. Namely those who main him in Brawl.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I feel Chrom, along with Marth and Ike are the overarcing best representation of FE.

Even if Chrom isn't as unique as some other possible fighters, I won't deny that at all. But I feel since Awakening was a celebration of FE of sorts and Chrom IS the main star, Robin may be partly but in the end it is Chrom's game.

Marth and Ike also made some cameos with the strongest feeling, Lucina impersonated Marth, Ike's descendant is an unlock-able

Outside of advertising and being on the box art, Chrom and Robin are pretty much equal in importance as protagonists (I put much more weight in what happens in the game than the advertising). Robin's the first character you see after starting a new game, the first battle is Chrom and Robin teaming up against the supposed main villain, and the two are absolutely inseparable throughout the entire game always being there for one another out when the other is struggling.

I also feel that Robin contrasts Ike and Marth beautifully and would serve as a god foil to both while maintaining how well Ike and Marth serve as foils to each other already while the things that make Chrom a great character in his own right and distinguish him from Ike and Marth (how outgoing and how informal he is, his hero complex, his straight man tendencies, etc.) won't transfer over to Smash very well if at all so you're stuck with the obvious similarities while diluting how well Marth and Ike contrast each other already.

..........though Ike, Marth, and Chrom in a 3 Musketeers pose would be sweet.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Outside of advertising and being on the box art, Chrom and Robin are pretty much equal in importance as protagonists (I put much more weight in what happens in the game than the advertising). Robin's the first character you see after starting a new game, the first battle is Chrom and Robin teaming up against the supposed main villain, and the two are absolutely inseparable throughout the entire game always being there for one another out when the other is struggling.

I also feel that Robin contrasts Ike and Marth beautifully and would serve as a god foil to both while maintaining how well Ike and Marth serve as foils to each other already while the things that make Chrom a great character in his own right and distinguish him from Ike and Marth (how outgoing and how informal he is, his hero complex, his straight man tendencies, etc.) won't transfer over to Smash very well if at all so you're stuck with the obvious similarities while diluting how well Marth and Ike contrast each other already.

..........though Ike, Marth, and Chrom in a 3 Musketeers pose would be sweet.
I will concur, Robin would serve good. I think we both have our good points with Chrom and Robin. In the end I suppose its what Sakurai and IS decide would be best

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I will concur, Robin would serve good. I think we both have our good points with Chrom and Robin. In the end I suppose its what Sakurai and IS decide would be best
There was no meeting. No formal arrangement. Nothing planned. Just Toru Narihiro on the pavement outside of Bandai Namco headquarters on his knees, begging Mr. Sakurai to make Ike a good character as the security tried to take him away. :(

I for one believe Chrom will be the Wolf to Marth's Fox. I just hope he doesn't feel like a patched Ike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom