• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
They can ****in' deal with it. I suffered through fear of a Mii reveal long enough.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
So who wants to guess a potential final smash for Google Chrom?
I'm going to take this opportunity to rip my Final Smash concept out of my moveset:

Final Smash - Fate of Falchions
“Now…”

Chrom raises his Falchion over his head as it glows with blue flames. He then does a massive dashing slash forward at a medium length. This Final Smash activates when it makes contact with an opponent, where they are suspended in blue haze before Chrom.

A rift portal (the one in the second cutscene of Awakening) opens above the space over the opposite end of Chrom before closing, where Lucina in her Masked Marth outfit drops down.

“As one!”

Chrom and Lucina perform a volley of fierce, blue flaming slashes, doing so while they rotate around the opponent and other opponents who contact them (like Link‘s Triforce Slash.) After 8 seconds, Chrom and Lucina draw their Falchions by their sides before slashing across in a blue glowing X, causing massive damage and knockback to the opponent and whoever else is caught in it. They land precisely with Lucina saluting in with a bow of her head and a hand over her chest before fading away in a blue flicker.

Chrom and Lucina are pitted in a rivalry of sorts in the early chapters of Awakening. They share a father-daughter relationship and both wield the Falchion, although from different periods of time. Their united sword combo is reminiscent of a scene in the Awakening intro movie where they are briefly shown fencing swords. I guess you can consider her cameo as a “consolation prize” to her fans if she isn’t included in the game.

I thought of an interesting way to incorporate the Pair Up mechanic too. Unlikely you say? Well its not like I'm supposed to give a **** about that:
Grapples
Pummel: Chrom knees his opponent to where the shin should be.

Down Throw - Pair Up > Assist/Guard
A nod to the Pair Up system introduced in his game (although not necessarily in the same function,) Chrom shoves his opponent behind his side, where they will be suspended in stuttering idle and walk animations as they are paired. The opponent will follow Chrom a certain distance for 4 seconds before regaining control of themselves or when Chrom moves too far away for them to keep following. Chrom cannot do any other action besides ground movement until he “throws” the character by tilting the control stick where they will dash before him and take damage from any attack in that direction or tilting the control stick plus the attack button, where they will do the first hit in their Jab.
Mind control, son!

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I'm going to take this opportunity to rip my Final Smash concept out of my moveset:

Final Smash - Fate of Falchions
“Now…”

Chrom raises his Falchion over his head as it glows with blue flames. He then does a massive dashing slash forward at a medium length. This Final Smash activates when it makes contact with an opponent, where they are suspended in blue haze before Chrom.

A rift portal (the one in the second cutscene of Awakening) opens above the space over the opposite end of Chrom before closing, where Lucina in her Masked Marth outfit drops down.

“As one!”

Chrom and Lucina perform a volley of fierce, blue flaming slashes, doing so while they rotate around the opponent and other opponents who contact them (like Link‘s Triforce Slash.) After 8 seconds, Chrom and Lucina draw their Falchions by their sides before slashing across in a blue glowing X, causing massive damage and knockback to the opponent and whoever else is caught in it. They land precisely with Lucina saluting in with a bow of her head and a hand over her chest before fading away in a blue flicker.

Chrom and Lucina are pitted in a rivalry of sorts in the early chapters of Awakening. They share a father-daughter relationship and both wield the Falchion, although from different periods of time. Their united sword combo is reminiscent of a scene in the Awakening intro movie where they are briefly shown fencing swords. I guess you can consider her cameo as a “consolation prize” to her fans if she isn’t included in the game.

I thought of an interesting way to incorporate the Pair Up mechanic too. Unlikely you say? Well its not like I'm supposed to give a **** about that:
Grapples
Pummel: Chrom knees his opponent to where the shin should be.

Down Throw - Pair Up > Assist/Guard
A nod to the Pair Up system introduced in his game (although not necessarily in the same function,) Chrom shoves his opponent behind his side, where they will be suspended in stuttering idle and walk animations as they are paired. The opponent will follow Chrom a certain distance for 4 seconds before regaining control of themselves or when Chrom moves too far away for them to keep following. Chrom cannot do any other action besides ground movement until he “throws” the character by tilting the control stick where they will dash before him and take damage from any attack in that direction or tilting the control stick plus the attack button, where they will do the first hit in their Jab.
Mind control, son!
I love this Final Smash concept. Kudos

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Is it strange I thought you were Hong? That is until I noticed the zoom is different on your avatar. :crazy:

But yeah, thanks. Out of all my movesets, I'm particularly proud of how my Chrom came out.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Is it strange I thought you were Hong? That is until I noticed the zoom is different on your avatar. :crazy:

But yeah, thanks. Out of all my movesets, I'm particularly proud of how my Chrom came out.
We have quite different avatars too.. and names :p no biggie though.

I just hope Chrom uses that spinning blade move he uses in the scene vs Lucina at Ferox

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well, we may get Shulk for Monday... but we can still hold onto a FE Newcomer!

#FireEMonday

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
By the way, does anyone have the page where that guy posted on that German Sword style and how Chrom can use it?
I thought you loved me enough to remember my name </3

Here it is:

"Why not give him the Blossfechten fighting style? Blossfechten is the Germanic martial art of fighting two-handed with a longsword when wearing minimal armor (there's a different fighting style, Harnischfechten, that encompasses armored swordplay, and it's one-handed, so a distinction is made between them). It would be accurate for the kind of character he is while also giving us a completely new fighting style.

There are five principles in blossfechten that the art is built upon. Vor, noch, swach, stark, and Indes. The words mean before, after, weak, strong, and meanwhile/interim.

Vor is offensive actions and nach is defensive actions. In blossfechten, a combatant must attempt to be in the vor (on the offensive) as much as possible. Since this is "unarmored" fighting, even one hit can be fatal, and being in the vor is preferable because you're more likely to hit first and less likely to be hit. Nach is more reactive; focusing on responding to the decisions made by the one in vor.

Swatch and stark are relating to how much force is applied in a bind of swords. Neither one is better. Swatch and stark simply contrast/compliment one another. Swatch is countered with stark and stark with swatch (strong force counters weak force and vice versa).

Indes is basically mindgames. Wikipedia says it well. "At the instant of contact with the opponent's blade, an experienced fencer uses 'feeling' (fühlen) to immediately sense his opponent's pressure in order to know whether he should be "weak or "strong" against him. He then either attacks using the "vor" or remains in the bind until his opponent acts, depending on what he feels is right. When his opponent starts to act, the fencer acts "indes" (meanwhile) and regains the "vor" before the opponent can finish his action."

Now, applying that to Smash Bros. is fairly simple. It can be implemented as an unoffensive gimmick (like Marth's tips).

How? Simple. Give him a special mechanic which motivates him to clash attacks with his opponent by making it cancel his attacks' ending lag (make it possible to attack immediately after) and/or make it increase frame lag for his opponent (making it easier to hit them) to put you into an advantage and let you combo them (essentially getting the opponent into nach and you into vor). This mechanic would then be built upon the swatch and stark contrast of "weak force counters strong force and strong force counters weak force". What I mean is that Chrom will have to clank his weak moves with his opponent's strong moves and clank his strong moves with his opponent's weak moves. And, of course, the moves would still have combo ability because hitboxes don't affect clashes too much. Only genuine hits. So if he's on the offensive already, he already has the advantage. This gimmick just helps him to get there."​

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I thought you loved me enough to remember my name </3

Here it is:

"Why not give him the Blossfechten fighting style? Blossfechten is the Germanic martial art of fighting two-handed with a longsword when wearing minimal armor (there's a different fighting style, Harnischfechten, that encompasses armored swordplay, and it's one-handed, so a distinction is made between them). It would be accurate for the kind of character he is while also giving us a completely new fighting style.

There are five principles in blossfechten that the art is built upon. Vor, noch, swach, stark, and Indes. The words mean before, after, weak, strong, and meanwhile/interim.

Vor is offensive actions and nach is defensive actions. In blossfechten, a combatant must attempt to be in the vor (on the offensive) as much as possible. Since this is "unarmored" fighting, even one hit can be fatal, and being in the vor is preferable because you're more likely to hit first and less likely to be hit. Nach is more reactive; focusing on responding to the decisions made by the one in vor.

Swatch and stark are relating to how much force is applied in a bind of swords. Neither one is better. Swatch and stark simply contrast/compliment one another. Swatch is countered with stark and stark with swatch (strong force counters weak force and vice versa).

Indes is basically mindgames. Wikipedia says it well. "At the instant of contact with the opponent's blade, an experienced fencer uses 'feeling' (fühlen) to immediately sense his opponent's pressure in order to know whether he should be "weak or "strong" against him. He then either attacks using the "vor" or remains in the bind until his opponent acts, depending on what he feels is right. When his opponent starts to act, the fencer acts "indes" (meanwhile) and regains the "vor" before the opponent can finish his action."

Now, applying that to Smash Bros. is fairly simple. It can be implemented as an unoffensive gimmick (like Marth's tips).

How? Simple. Give him a special mechanic which motivates him to clash attacks with his opponent by making it cancel his attacks' ending lag (make it possible to attack immediately after) and/or make it increase frame lag for his opponent (making it easier to hit them) to put you into an advantage and let you combo them (essentially getting the opponent into nach and you into vor). This mechanic would then be built upon the swatch and stark contrast of "weak force counters strong force and strong force counters weak force". What I mean is that Chrom will have to clank his weak moves with his opponent's strong moves and clank his strong moves with his opponent's weak moves. And, of course, the moves would still have combo ability because hitboxes don't affect clashes too much. Only genuine hits. So if he's on the offensive already, he already has the advantage. This gimmick just helps him to get there."​
That's awesome.... That would make Chrom a bit more unique.

Now, Chrom fans, I need your help. I'm not too familiar with Ike, and I've heard how similar the two are, so how do they differ?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
That's awesome.... That would make Chrom a bit more unique.

Now, Chrom fans, I need your help. I'm not too familiar with Ike, and I've heard how similar the two are, so how do they differ?
Well, Ike can shoot energy waves from his sword and use axes. Chrom can use lances, and at the end of Awakening he can spend a turn to use the Falchion to heal a portion of his HP.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Well, Ike can shoot energy waves from his sword and use axes. Chrom can use lances, and at the end of Awakening he can spend a turn to use the Falchion to heal a portion of his HP.
Given that Chrom is a mix of the Lord class is not out of place to give him moves and abilities of unrepresented Lords.
Like riding a horse (to reference Sigurd or Ephraim for example) he has the Cavalier line anyway. A Javeline projectile could be cool. And of course, the convoy.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I could imagine Chrom getting a healing move... hey, that'd be unique... :/

Hong

The Strongest
I could imagine Chrom getting a healing move... hey, that'd be unique... :/
Wii Fit Trainer already has about as much healing as would be acceptable in a fighter.

Granted, if Chrom has a heal, it could come at the cost of some character-exclusive resource.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Wii Fit Trainer already has about as much healing as would be acceptable in a fighter.

Granted, if Chrom has a heal, it could come at the cost of some character-exclusive resource.
Wait, WFT can heal? I thought she only had a charge move.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Wait, WFT can heal? I thought she only had a charge move.
Yes, Wii Fit Trainer's Deep Breathing move heals her slightly. Based on that, as well as the fact that Chrom's healing ability comes so late in the game (and isn't really a focus in the story or gameplay), I find the possibility of Chrom using a self-healing technique to be pretty unlikely.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I can see Chrom's healing as a sort of passive mechanic. Since he's brash and offensive in style, he'd focus on rush down, and then try to combo foes by forcing them into the air for juggles. If a string goes on long enough Chrom heals a bit of health. As a drawback, his light armor makes it easy for him to be knocked away, and his longer ranged attacks (Javelin Toss and a Shield Blast down smash, maybe) don't heal, as they don't use the Exalted Falchion.

Hong

The Strongest
I am just going to call Chrom and Shulk being revealed together in the same trailer in an epic clash of mystical steel.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
I am just going to call Chrom and Shulk being revealed together in the same trailer in an epic clash of mystical steel.
"This mighty clash happened after Shulk said "Together now!" as Glee Club started singing epic background music. Sakurai then talked for the leftover minute, claiming there is still more newcomers hidden in the game, and confessing that he was the Gematsu tipper the entire time.
The Gematsu 3 then received their individual character sub-forum's, and Smash Boards lived on in peace until launch. Other fans knew their newcomer could still join the battle. They knew, that hope...will never die."
-The Smash Board fan-fiction that will never come true.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Am I the only one that finds it very ironic that the two most hated characters out of the remaining Gematsu Trio are the ones that are the polar opposites in so many different ways (serious vs comical, previously expected vs previously unexpected, conventional vs. unconventional, etc.)?

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Am I the only one that finds it very ironic that the two most hated characters out of the remaining Gematsu Trio are the ones that are the polar opposites in so many different ways (serious vs comical, previously expected vs previously unexpected, conventional vs. unconventional, etc.)?
Dude, that's an interesting point. I can imagine that actually makes people more excited for the middle-ground Shulk.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Shulk's pretty serious...
Yes, but.. compare:

Chrom
- has a large hatebase
- looks visually similar to existing characters
- could have a similar playstyle to existing characters
- pretty conventional selection for a new character

Shulk
- has a sizeable fanbase
- looks somewhat similar to other characters but also is distinctive
- could have similar playstyle to existing characters, but probably will not
- somewhat unconventional, but also satisfying selection

Chorus Men
- had basically no fanbase
- looks nothing like any other the other characters
- will not have a similar playstyle to the other characters
- pretty unconventional choice for a Smash character

I think Shulk is the easiest one for everyone to agree on, and thus why I think he's getting the most support of the remaining 3 Gematsu characters.

Let me also clarify, that if Lucina was out of the picture, Chrom would replace her in my signature.. I actually do really like the character.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And the completely ironic thing is that I want Shulk the least of the Gematsu leak trio. I still want him, but not as much as Chrom or the Chorus Kids.

So anyway, just try to keep it civil no matter what happens Monday, okay guys? This thread's usually good about that, but just in case, haha. :laugh:

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Yes, but.. compare:

Chrom
- has a large hatebase
- looks visually similar to existing characters
- could have a similar playstyle to existing characters
- pretty conventional selection for a new character

Shulk
- has a sizeable fanbase
- looks somewhat similar to other characters but also is distinctive
- could have similar playstyle to existing characters, but probably will not
- somewhat unconventional, but also satisfying selection

Chorus Men
- had basically no fanbase
- looks nothing like any other the other characters
- will not have a similar playstyle to the other characters
- pretty unconventional choice for a Smash character

I think Shulk is the easiest one for everyone to agree on, and thus why I think he's getting the most support of the remaining 3 Gematsu characters.

Let me also clarify, that if Lucina was out of the picture, Chrom would replace her in my signature.. I actually do really like the character.
I'm pretty sure what's said for all of them can really be argued for, well, any of them.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
And the completely ironic thing is that I want Shulk the least of the Gematsu leak trio. I still want him, but not as much as Chrom or the Chorus Kids.

So anyway, just try to keep it civil no matter what happens Monday, okay guys? This thread's usually good about that, but just in case, haha. :laugh:
No, we must have WAR and PAIN and SUFFERING!

:troll:

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
I thought Chrom just has a large hatebase here on Smashboards while Robin has quite the following. Everywhere else I go, it's "Chrom this" and "Chrom that.":upsidedown:

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
I thought Chrom just has a large hatebase here on Smashboards while Robin has quite the following. Everywhere else I go, it's "Chrom this" and "Chrom that.":upsidedown:
It seems to be that way. Most people I know physically (IRL) want Chrom in, with Lucina normally as a second place.
"Robin? You mean that guy from Bat-"
*explains*
"Oh. How would that work?"
...Most if them also don't seem to get the appeal for MU if they can't customize the look.

Anybody have similar comments from non-internet people?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Chrom doesn't experience nearly as much hate in places with a more casual audience. Then again they'll clap their hands at any new character that comes along and looks cool.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
My two best friends want Chrom in above all else, one being that he's played the game (and is inlove with it), the other understands our points about the character and agrees that Chrom deserves a spot in the roster, but online I mostly see that people want Lucina, Avatar, and Anna. With comments like "Oh god Chrom is such a terrible choice let's get a female FE rep or the really interesting [Avatar]."

Hong

The Strongest
I don't know. It might be region-specific.

Chrom has his fans, but Japan likes Lucina a lot, as do the developers of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom