• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Outside of advertising and being on the box art, Chrom and Robin are pretty much equal in importance as protagonists (I put much more weight in what happens in the game than the advertising). Robin's the first character you see after starting a new game, the first battle is Chrom and Robin teaming up against the supposed main villain, and the two are absolutely inseparable throughout the entire game always being there for one another out when the other is struggling.
Not Lucina being paid complete dust when it comes to prominence.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Not Lucina being paid complete dust when it comes to prominence.
She's my absolute favorite character in Awakening. If she wasn't literally a female Marth, I'd probably be supporting her as much as I do Robin. If there's one thing I hope is true about the third leak, it's DLC so that we can have Chrom, Robin, and Lucina can kick ass in Smash Bros together.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
She's my absolute favorite character in Awakening. If she wasn't literally a female Marth, I'd probably be supporting her as much as I do Robin. If there's one thing I hope is true about the third leak, it's DLC so that we can have Chrom, Robin, and Lucina can kick *** in Smash Bros together.
5 characters for FE and 3 from the same game is a little too much don't you think?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yet Toon Link...
To be fair, this is due to Sakurai's view that Link and Toon Link should have the same specials "as a rule," noted by Brawl's Dojo, and that he feels having a younger Link is important, as he sees that as the "true" Link incarnation. We don't know if the same is true for Fire Emblem characters. At worst, Chrom may have Counter "as a rule." :p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I bet you anything Toon Link was made a semi-clone due to simplicity and then Sakurai just pulled that "rule" nonsense out of thin air. :p

Hong

The Strongest
It stings, because I liked Wind Waker a lot, that incarnation of Link, and all his mystical tools.

And to see none of that really represented? It just sucks.

I'm a huge Chrom fan, and I dread the thought that he's going fail to impress. Not just because he is like Marth and Ike, but because if this is Mr. Sakurai's mentality, then it's equally as jeopardizing for Chrom's potential as a unique fighter. It's a real shame because there's still so much out there for what a character can do in a fighting game.

I hope Bandai Namco will pull through.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The stance with newcomers is different this time around. Veterans remains to be seen for some.

Chrom being planned so early is nothing but a good sign though.

Hong

The Strongest
The stance with newcomers is different this time around. Veterans remains to be seen for some.

Chrom being planned so early is nothing but a good sign though.
Inversely, being planned from the start means that if they don't like a concept, they have a greater window of time to make adjustments.

Edit - That is not, just to Chrom, but the roster as a whole.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Seeing a character in game does wonders for evaporating their detractors. There will still be a few people who decry Chrom post-reveal, but it won't be nearly as noticeable as it is now.
We can only hope. I'm not even that big of a Chrom fan but I'm far past burned out on all the people here who think he's the worst thing ever and that they'll literally die if he's added. Some of it went away when Ike was confirmed it's still pretty common. As I mentioned in another thread, everyone expect Megaman and Little Mac has produced scores of martyrs with their reveals and its kind of a bummer. With Brawl, ROB was the only new character that was initially universally panned but just about everyone added for this game has been controversial. It's nuts.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I thought Villager was pretty universally accepted so far.

Poor Rosie and Greninja...

Hong

The Strongest
Rosalina just kind of proves Chrom is going to be get rotten tomatoes out the gate on his debut no matter what he does. :/

It's no secret that I have other Fire Emblem characters I rather have more. Of course. I've been playing since the third game in the series. That said, he's still a great character from a great game, which has a host of fans waiting for him. A fan-base that has doubled since the debut of his game, and would just love to see him, or really any star from Awakening appear. I want to see Chrom, in full HD, with Matthew Mercer on point in at least SOME fashion.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I thought Villager was pretty universally accepted so far.

Poor Rosie and Greninja...
Villager's detractors largely phased out within a month of him being revealed, just like Rosalina's and Greninja's. I don't see Mii's going away anytime soon and more and more people seem disgruntled with Palutena as time goes on. On the upside, objections to Pacman are largely heading out the door now too. From the way things look, Miis, Palutena, and Chorusmen/Marshall will probably be held as the "scapegoats" for this game just like ROB was for Brawl and Mr. Game and Watch and the Ice Climbers were for Melee.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And that's rather upsetting, admittedly. I can understand the Miis, but Palutena, and likely Chrom and the Chorus Kids, don't really deserve scapegoat status. :/ Ah well, what can you do, right? I'm happy with them at least, and I'm sure others are, too. :p

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
We can only hope. I'm not even that big of a Chrom fan but I'm far past burned out on all the people here who think he's the worst thing ever and that they'll literally die if he's added. Some of it went away when Ike was confirmed it's still pretty common. As I mentioned in another thread, everyone expect Megaman and Little Mac has produced scores of martyrs with their reveals and its kind of a bummer. With Brawl, ROB was the only new character that was initially universally panned but just about everyone added for this game has been controversial. It's nuts.
I blame the factor of people focusing way too much on only three characters, Mewtwo, Ridley, and K. Rool. Meanwhile other folks are drowned out and in extreme cases discriminated for putting their effort in other things. Which is causing this sense of being cheated on for quite a number of folks.

Also it doesn't help people are wanting character for the wrong reasons, which in this case is fallacious patterns and criterias. Also not keeping an open mind when it comes to playstyles is also another factor, which actually does help in the situations where you don't get Character X but you still get what you wanted with Character Y or making a character seem more appealing by taking advantage of both direct and indirect factors.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just hope Hubba at least gets a trophy mention. :laugh:

If in the extremely unlikely case that Chrom has a summoning move, I can see it being based off the Einherjar, but just using the Shepherds through them. Doesn't have to be that canon. :p

I think other options are more likely though.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Mii's do get too much hate, especially considering they're a gateway to cheaply get any humanoid character in the game, such as a sword-wielding Ganondorf. FE wise, that Includes the likes of Robin, Anna, and Gregor.

...except those with blue hair. Non-Chrom/Lucy fans don't understand how insulting that is. I think I will use that as a counter toward "(humanoid newcomer) should have gotten in over Chrom" detractors for now on.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mii's do get too much hate, especially considering they're a gateway to cheaply get any humanoid character in the game, such as a sword-wielding Ganondorf. FE wise, that Includes the likes of Robin, Anna, and Gregor.

...except those with blue hair. Non-Chrom/Lucy fans don't understand how insulting that is. I think I will use that as a counter toward "(humanoid newcomer) should have gotten in over Chrom" detractors for now on.
I get where you're coming from, but people shouldn't have to suffer with just a false representation of a character just because they can be made with Miis.

It reminds me of the most recent BitF comic, actually.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

So, Chrom should get in because you can't replicate his blue hair with a Mii?

At least you'd have Ike, who would look way more like Chrom than any blue-haired Mii ever could.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Villager's detractors largely phased out within a month of him being revealed, just like Rosalina's and Greninja's. I don't see Mii's going away anytime soon and more and more people seem disgruntled with Palutena as time goes on. On the upside, objections to Pacman are largely heading out the door now too. From the way things look, Miis, Palutena, and Chorusmen/Marshall will probably be held as the "scapegoats" for this game just like ROB was for Brawl and Mr. Game and Watch and the Ice Climbers were for Melee.
Wait, hold the phone... since when is Palutena not well received? Hasn't she always been one of the most wanted newcomers for this game?

Morbi

Scavenger
Wait, hold the phone... since when is Palutena not well received? Hasn't she always been one of the most wanted newcomers for this game?
Her trailer was not well-received by the community, there were not many detrimental aspects about the trailer, but people did not like it either. It showcased that her move-set is seemingly redundant without the use of 12 individual specials and her animations were seemingly stagnant. She was certainly one of the most wanted newcomers; however, people were more fond of Mii Fighters and Pac-Man from a presentation perspective. I am not sure how to tie this into Chrom to be honest. I can only hope that he does not have a similar model. If Shulk got the Palutena treatment, I would be fine as it would be reminiscent of his Xenoblade appearance. It would bother me if Chrom was presented in a similar fashion, ESPECIALLY, because he is more likely than not, going to be a swordsman with little diversity (not saying that he will not be unique, I am just saying that it will appear worse given the aesthetics).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The customization she has with her specials gave people a sour taste, there is a fear she may be overpowered due to bias, and some folks just simply see her a boring.

I don't exactly disagree with her being underwhelming to be honest.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
So, Chrom should get in because you can't replicate his blue hair with a Mii?

At least you'd have Ike, who would look way more like Chrom than any blue-haired Mii ever could.
You don’t understand. You can make a Mii the likes of Isaac and give him a sword. It would be great, especially since there's a blonde hair option. It appears most humanoid supporters have a cheap way of getting their characters through some form.
...Except us Chrom/Lucina fans. We can make a Mii swordsman that looks like him, but without a blue hair option, its not Chrom. It’s a man. With a cheap sword. Attempting to cosplay as Chrom. But not succeeding because his parents won’t let him dye his hair blue. We are the only humanoid supporters who can't take advantage of Sakurai's cheap character creator. Nintendo will not break the Mii tradition and allow blue hair Tomodachi Life does not count So therefore, Chrom deserves a spot the most.

Good enough :troll:

Morbi

Scavenger
You don’t understand. You can make a Mii the likes of Isaac and give him a sword. It would be great, especially since there's a blonde hair option. It appears most humanoid supporters have a cheap way of getting their characters through some form.
...Except us Chrom/Lucina fans. We can make a Mii swordsman that looks like him, but without a blue hair option, its not Chrom. It’s a man. With a cheap sword. Attempting to cosplay as Chrom. But not succeeding because his parents won’t let him dye his hair blue. We are the only humanoid supporters who can't take advantage of Sakurai's cheap character creator. Nintendo will not break the Mii tradition and allow blue hair Tomodachi Life does not count So therefore, Chrom deserves a spot the most.

If you use a Mii to emulate a character that is not on the roster, they are going to look like cheap cosplay regardless of whether or not there is a blue-haired option. I mean, there is not a white haired option, so maybe they should put Robin in instead? :troll:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
1. Complaining about her trailer
2. Complaining about her customization options
3. Complaining about "Sakurai bias"
4. Complaining about her "not being important/hype worthy enough to be shown at E3"

Also, I'd argue that she wasn't always someone who a lot of people wanted. Her popularity was lukewarm at best until the "leak" back in January (which ironically turned out to be fake) which led to a huge jump in her popularity. Since E3, her fanbase has taken a lot of potshots for the four things I mentioned but it may eventually cool down.

Last edited:

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
If you use a Mii to emulate a character that is not on the roster, they are going to look like cheap cosplay regardless of whether or not there is a blue-haired option. I mean, there is not a white haired option, so maybe they should put Robin in instead? :troll:
Robin has over 30 different possible face and hair color combos that can be cheaply replicated with a Mii. Chrom has zero. Bigger priority there :denzel:

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Palutena hate will definitely cool down with the upcoming batch of characters, people will find someone new to complain about.

Morbi

Scavenger
Palutena hate will definitely cool down with the upcoming batch of characters, people will find someone new to complain about.
Perhaps the new complaints will be directed at our favorite blue-haired Lord? One could only hope that Sakurai surprises us with Chrom's move-set and puts those fears to rest. However; if he cannot, Chrom is probably going to get a lot of flak.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

I agree with @ Morbi Morbi on this one, any Mii you make that is based on another character is going to look pretty pathetic compared to the actual thing, regardless of whether or not the hair color is right. And while I was kind of joking bout this earlier, if Chrom doesn't get in, you do have Ike, who bears a much stronger resemblance to Chrom than a Mii lookalike could. You can easily pretend that's Chrom, if you want to. Besides, in the event Chrom doesn't get in, it's possible that Ike will get a palette swap that gives him Chrom's color scheme, which would probably end up looking just like Chrom.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Perhaps the new complaints will be directed at our favorite blue-haired Lord? One could only hope that Sakurai surprises us with Chrom's move-set and puts those fears to rest. However; if he cannot, Chrom is probably going to get a lot of flak.
It seems like it happens in rounds.

Round 1 Wii Fit Trainer hate
Round 2 Rosalina hate
Round 3 Palutena/Mii hate
Round 4: ?

However once the game is released and everyone tries the newcomers the true hated/loved newcomers will be decided.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It seems like it happens in rounds.

Round 1 Wii Fit Trainer hate
Round 2 Rosalina hate
Round 3 Palutena/Mii hate
Round 4: ?

However once the game is released and everyone tries the newcomers the true hated/loved newcomers will be decided.
You forgot Greninja hate. Did you see how many Mewtwo fans got upset about that?

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
I agree with @ Morbi Morbi on this one, any Mii you make that is based on another character is going to look pretty pathetic compared to the actual thing, regardless of whether or not the hair color is right. And while I was kind of joking bout this earlier, if Chrom doesn't get in, you do have Ike, who bears a much stronger resemblance to Chrom than a Mii lookalike could. You can easily pretend that's Chrom, if you want to. Besides, in the event Chrom doesn't get in, it's possible that Ike will get a palette swap that gives him Chrom's color scheme, which would probably end up looking just like Chrom.
But us blue haired swordsmen-
Nah, don't mind me, I'm just readying ridiculous counters for the day when Chrom detractors visit after his confirmation :awesome:

Also, doesn't Marth look more like Chrom then Ike does? I showed someone a picture of Chrom in his swim trunks and she thought it was Marth...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Also, doesn't Marth look more like Chrom then Ike does? I showed someone a picture of Chrom in his swim trunks and she thought it was Marth...
Well, without any clothing on aside from swim trunks, I suppose it would be very east to mix the three up (I can't believe I'm actually talking about how they look in swim trunks...). Though while they're wearing their usual armor, I'd say Ike looks more like Chrom than Marth does.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
They better use his Great Lord design in Smash 4.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They better use his Great Lord design in Smash 4.
I think his default look will be Lord, with Great Lord as an Alternate Costume. Though, I think he might still use the Exalted Falchion either way.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, without any clothing on aside from swim trunks, I suppose it would be very east to mix the three up (I can't believe I'm actually talking about how they look in swim trunks...). Though while they're wearing their usual armor, I'd say Ike looks more like Chrom than Marth does.
I don't think it would be that hard.

You've got kawaii booty boy and macho beefcake, and a guy that goes between the two. It's like picking pumpkins in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom