• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
You know, it's pretty interesting that out of the three major characters in Awakening, Chrom's voice actor is the only one that has commented on the possibility of voicing a character in Smash. The way in which he (jokingly, of course) further discussed Chrom's hypothetical FS after telling the audience to stay tuned and see what could happen in the future reminds me of the discussion Sakurai had concerning Pac-Man's hypothetical FS.
The very thought that the "proposal" Final Smash could be real just hit me... and I think that's amazing! Oh, sure, the shippers, yaoi fans and SJW will try to ruin it for the rest of us... but I think it could be a lot of lighthearted fun!

The real question? Why will this cause Chrom's opponent to die? Will Chrom get rejected each time? Will he blast them out of the stage with a broken heart? Will the pure embarrassment of it all be enough for the opponent to commit stage suicide? WILL PEOPLE FLY AWAY MEANINGLESSLY?!

Last edited:

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
I had a sort of moment of clarity related to Chrom recently. It was initiated by this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPyjCU3Yr4w

Chrom really does have a lot of exposure. The only other Nintendo character whose weapon had been referenced in this series at the time I first saw this video was Link. (Now they have Honedge, too.) But this video made me realize after a while that Chrom is pretty much a Nintendo all-star already. His Smash Bros. inclusion is/was probably a lot more inevitable that a lot of us realized.

inb4 Honedge for Smash :p

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The very thought that the "proposal" Final Smash could be real just hit me... and I think that's amazing! Oh, sure, the shippers, yaoi fans and SJW will try to ruin it for all of us... but I think it could be a lot of lighthearted fun!

The real question? Why will this cause Chrom's opponent to die? Will Chrom get rejected each time? Will he blast them out of the stage with a broken heart? Will the pure embarrassment of it all be enough for the opponent to commit stage suicide? WILL PEOPLE FLY AWAY MEANINGLESSLY?!
All of the above. That FS alone will make it 10-1 in Chrom's favour vs Jigglypuff.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I had a sort of moment of clarity related to Chrom recently. It was initiated by this video:

Chrom really does have a lot of exposure. The only other Nintendo character whose weapon had been referenced in this series at the time I first saw this video was Link. (Now they have Honedge, too.) But this video made me realize after a while that Chrom is pretty much a Nintendo all-star already. His Smash Bros. inclusion is/was probably a lot more inevitable that a lot of us realized.

I just wanna say... those videos are AWESOME. Man, Falchion looks like a million bucks. He does an amazing job on all these pieces. I think over an hour went by watching all these and I just didn't care. It was absolutely mesmerizing.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

Thanks for the video, this is very entertaining and educational. Awakening's Falchion is a really neat design, so it's really cool seeing it replicated in real life. The guy seems like a great uploader.

This makes me genuinely excited to see the character on strong hardware in HD, especially the sword.

Last edited:

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Yeah, they're pretty cool videos. I haven't actually watched all of them, but the ones I have watched were a lot of fun. I think the first one I watched was for the keyblade. I was immediately interested in seeing how actual blacksmiths would interpret a weapon like that.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yeah, they're pretty cool videos. I haven't actually watched all of them, but the ones I have watched were a lot of fun. I think the first one I watched was for the keyblade. I was immediately interested in seeing how actual blacksmiths would interpret a weapon like that.
Yep. I take metal work classes, so seeing how they forge these swords is very interesting.

It's a shame they're not exactly functional, haha. That Falchion looks like it could easily break. Still really neat and awesome looking!

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Notice when they try to use it by hitting various objecting and you'll see the blade keeps jiggling.

It's pretty much just for show. That other replica looks really great though.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
Notice when they try to use it by hitting various objecting and you'll see the blade keeps jiggling.
I'm pretty sure that's how a sword functions. Movies and stuff make us believe swords are too hard, but actually they jiggling in order to not broke.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'm pretty sure that's how a sword functions. Movies and stuff make us believe swords are too hard, but actually they jiggling in order to not broke.
I haven't seen a real life sword for a real long time but I definitely don't remember anything like that.

Well I guess it doesn't matter. I don't really know much about blades, so someone else could fill us on that.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Not only do blades need to wiggle in order to not break/get damaged (one of the reasons diamond would actually make a terrible sword), but we're seeing the blade in slow motion, so we notice the wiggle a bit more.

Though, admittedly, it's still wiggling a bit much, imo.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I've now learned quite a bit about swords. Thanks for that, guys! :laugh:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I've now learned quite a bit about swords. Thanks for that, guys! :laugh:
You're welcome <3

Wikipedia words it perfectly:
"A good sword has to be hard enough to hold an edge along a length which can range from 18 in (46 cm) to more than 36 in (91 cm). At the same time it must be strong enough and flexible enough that it can absorb massive shocks at just about any point along its length and not crack or break. Finally, it should be balanced along its length so that it can be wielded effectively."

Of course, the flexibility also makes it so all the force isn't transferred into your arm. If it was, then you'd eventually damage your arm's bones, muscles, or even nerves.

Last edited:

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
I kind of wish Chrom having blue hair and using a sword wasn't a legitimate argument for why he shouldn't be playable in Smash.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I kind of wish Chrom having blue hair and using a sword wasn't a legitimate argument for why he shouldn't be playable in Smash.
Okay, he was originally in Awakening meant to be a cross between Marth and Ike in every way, from personality, to the way he looks, to fighting style. With both Marth and Ike both playable, and with custom moves, he is just a little redundant. It would be fine, and not a valid counter argument, if he weren't from Fire Emblem I and other people would be okay with him, its just it would be like haveing three animal pilots with blasters representing Star Fox.

Last edited:

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Chrom's moveset doesn't have to be a clone's moveset, and that argument could be used for a lot of things. Having 3 plumber-like characters playable in Smash is dumb because they all have mustaches and overalls.

I apologize if the way I put that sounds rude in any way shape or form.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Okay, so you know how the StarFox characters say different things to themselves in their victory screens? What if Fire Emblem characters did something similar? What would you want Chrom to say to Ike and Marth? Or them to Chrom? Or each other?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The problem is that it's the wrong wording.

It should more so be "My problem with Chrom is that his design takes a lot of inspiration from Marth and Ike, which is why I'm doubting he's going to be original.", because in the past I've rarely seen "blue hair and sword" being used as an argument for Ike, or more recently Takamaru.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Okay, so you know how the StarFox characters say different things to themselves in their victory screens? What if Fire Emblem characters did something similar? What would you want Chrom to say to Ike and Marth? Or them to Chrom? Or each other?
If Ike is saying something, it needs to be something incredibly cheesy that can be memefied like he was back in brawl.:awesome:

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman

It should more so be "My problem with Chrom is that his design takes a lot of inspiration from Marth and Ike, which is why I'm doubting he's going to be original.", because in the past I've rarely seen "blue hair and sword" being used as an argument for Ike, or more recently Takamaru.
See, I can understand this worry, especially since you specified. I've no doubt that if Chrom were to get in, he wouldn't by a clone like say, Roy and Marth were to each other.

If for whatever reason Chrom didn't get in, and Nintendo's reasoning had something to do with Ike and Marth already being in -- then why did they not just remove one of the two so Chrom could have a chance in the Smash spotlight? Not saying that Chrom not being in is going to happen, but if it does and that is their reasoning, I'll be a little peeved.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

I still don't understand how the blue hair and sword argument even remotely works for Takamaru.

Such blue. Very hair. Much sword.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
See, I can understand this worry, especially since you specified. I've no doubt that if Chrom were to get in, he wouldn't by a clone like say, Roy and Marth were to each other.

If for whatever reason Chrom didn't get in, and Nintendo's reasoning had something to do with Ike and Marth already being in -- then why did they not just remove one of the two so Chrom could have a chance in the Smash spotlight? Not saying that Chrom not being in is going to happen, but if it does and that is their reasoning, I'll be a little peeved.
As much as I want Chrom, I'd feel cheated if he came at the expense of Ike and Marth. Hence why I'm ecstatic that both are back.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, if Chrom ended up not getting in, and that was the reasoning Sakurai provided, I think it would make sense. Though I suppose that depends on whether or not there's actually an Awakening character in the game. If they decided, for example, to use Robin as a representative of Awakening, I think that would make a lot of sense. On the other hand, if Awakening did not receive a character at all, I would find that to be an odd choice.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Yeah exactly, my thing is that Ike had his spot in Brawl, him being back is fine and dandy but if his inclusion has anything to do with Chrom somehow not making the spot, that would be, for lack of more appropriate wording, unfair to fans of Chrom.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yeah exactly, my thing is that Ike had his spot in Brawl, him being back is fine and dandy but if his inclusion has anything to do with Chrom somehow not making the spot, that would be, for lack of more appropriate wording, unfair to fans of Chrom.
Any character not getting in would be unfair to the supporters of said character. Disappointment is inevitable, and it has to happen to someone. That's just how this works, really.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
It isnt a legit argument against him, its a claim only about his physical appearance and his weapon. Without even seeing how he plays in this game that argument holds no meaning, in any situation.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Even with seeing Chrom in the game, I wasn't impressed with his attacks.

Then again, Fire Emblem: Awakening in comparison to past titles had lackluster attacks in general.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Any character not getting in would be unfair to the supporters of said character. Disappointment is inevitable, and it has to happen to someone. That's just how this works, really.
I mean in terms of, at least with FE characters, new protagonists are constantly being released, if Chrom is in this Smash, then for the next Smash naturally the FE14 protag should get in before Chrom is even thought about returning. By this same thought process, Micaiah was cheated out of a Smash spot, but it sounds like she wasn't very popular or something and that's why she didn't get in? Just, I feel Smash spots for FE characters should mainly focus on who the main protag is of the most current game.

Yeah, I have a heavy bias for Chrom, but if Smash 5 is ever a thing and Chrom gets in over a potentially new FE rep and he already appeared in Smash 4, that would be incredibly unfair and I wouldn't be okay with that.

EDIT: I ramble heavily and I apologize.

Last edited:

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
I mean in terms of, at least with FE characters, new protagonists are constantly being released, if Chrom is in this Smash, then for the next Smash naturally the FE14 protag should get in before Chrom is even thought about returning. By this same thought process, Micaiah was cheated out of a Smash spot, but it sounds like she wasn't very popular or something and that's why she didn't get in? Just, I feel Smash spots for FE characters should mainly focus on who the main protag is of the most current game.

Ike is the main Lord of Radiant Dawn, not Micaiah. And Brawl roster was decided in 2005, that's why Ike has his Path of Radiance design.

Yeah, I have a heavy bias for Chrom, but if Smash 5 is ever a thing and Chrom gets in over a potentially new FE rep and he already appeared in Smash 4, that would be incredibly unfair and I wouldn't be okay with that.
If the next FE is another remake I can see Chrom returning or if is Awakening related (hopefully no, Awakening's plot doesn't have potential for a sequel or prequel.)

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Ike is? I thought he wasn't introduce until late game or something? I'm sorry, I never played the games starring Ike.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Ike appears in the third part of Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, where the story focuses on Ike and the Greil Mercenaries.

Though I said that's the third part of a four-part structure, Part III: Intersecting Vows is the meat and potatoes of the game, while the sections before and after are shorter. Part I: Silver-Haired Maiden and Part II: Of Countries and Kings basically set up the events for Ike and the Greil Mercenaries, while Part IV: Gods and Men wraps it up.

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430

Micaiah was most likely skipped over due to what other posters have said, and the fact that smash development was well under way when her game was released. I've heard that IS recommended Ike, I've also heard that Sakurai had set a slot aside for a heavy swordsman. I'm wondering: Did he tell IS he wanted someone to fill that role, and they said that Ike would be ideal? Or did they recommend Ike regardless and Sakurai decided to kill two birds with one stone? We'll never know though given my luck I've missed an interview or misread something.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Alright, thanks for clearing that up for me, you two. Hopefully I made my main point abundantly clear with my senseless ramblings, though.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
How about featuring Jigglypuff in Chrom's trailer like Mr. G&W was in Pac-Man's trailer? It would be a good reference to Mercer's joke.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom