• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
At the rate this is going, Chrom might be the newcomer out of all revealed so far I'm the most excited about.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
At the rate this is going, Chrom might be the newcomer out of all revealed so far I'm the most excited about.
Care to share how you personally see him working?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I have never played Awakening, so I wouldn't really know. But I liked the idea of him playing more like Melee / Brawl aka 'aerial Marth'. I kinda see him being a jack of all trades, but woth a sword. Also could potentially have a tipper, causemit's Falchion after all.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
I'd much rather Chrom not play anything like Ike or Marth. I can see him as the assumed middleweight sword fighter that most attribute him to be, but hopefully a special or smash or something that utilizes javelins or a spear weapon of some sort to even further make him unique, of course the Falchion should be his main. A Final Smash that's not "Critical Hit!" would be preferable too, something akin to class changing or utilizing his shepherds would be amazing.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Pretty sure Chrom is going to share relations with Marth or Ike by virtue of his design purposely taking characteristics of varies characters with the Lord class, and the case of Marth making connections due to the bloodline.

I know it sucks, but you got to keep in mind that Chrom is designed to be a homage, not an exception.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I just found out that Chrom is apparently supposed to be about 19. Can't say I've ever thought of Chrom as a teenager...

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I just found out that Chrom is apparently supposed to be about 19. Can't say I've ever thought of Chrom as a teenager...
With the Lyn's age debacle and the way Robin has two kid builds but only adult voices, I've stopped trying to pay any credence to age in Fire Emblem loooooooooong ago.

I bet you if they localized Fuuin no Tsurugi, Roy would suddenly become 18.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Gratz to Chrom supporters, by the way. I'm not a supporter of him, but that's just how it works.
But...he hasn't been confirmed at all...

And don't say it's because of the Gematsu leak. That thing can go jump off a cliff. I support Chrom and all, but it's leaks like this that make me want to toss my lunch. And I know it's been said so many times, but please take all leaks with a grain of salt.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
But...he hasn't been confirmed at all...

And don't say it's because of the Gematsu leak. That thing can go jump off a cliff. I support Chrom and all, but it's leaks like this that make me want to toss my lunch. And I know it's been said so many times, but please take all leaks with a grain of salt.
No reason to. Gematsu's proven ironclad over a year and a half.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Sheesh, what else would it take? Do you really think Chrom is any less likely than the Chorus Kids?
Um...I never said Chrom isn't likely. It's the leak itself I have a problem with. It has some of my most wanted newcomers on it, sure. But that doesn't mean I should believe it right off the bat.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Um...I never said Chrom isn't likely. It's the leak itself I have a problem with. It has some of my most wanted newcomers on it, sure. But that doesn't mean I should believe it right off the bat.
Every mote of evidence that exists points at it being absolute truth. The least likely part of the leak to be true has solid evidence backing them up.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Every mote of evidence that exists points at it being absolute truth. The least likely part of the leak to be true has solid evidence backing them up.
Either way, it's not going to change my opinion on the leak. You have your opinion, I have mine. Let's just leave it at that.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I've though about it, and I won't be super POed if Chrom is in smash, still hold my same views on his likeliness and the leak's validity, but I will be okay if he is in smash, at least I'll likely get Shulk, a character that's grown on me. That and I like Mathew Mercer's voice.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Is it weird that the biggest reason I'd actually want Chrom is because Matt Mercer seems like a genuinely cool guy? Seriously, the guy is a big Smash Bros and RPG fan so I actually think that would be cool.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I also think Mercer's a really cool guy, so that kinda adds to Chrom's appeal.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I also think Mercer's a really cool guy, so that kinda adds to Chrom's appeal.
Yeah, loved him in "There Will Be Brawl", (even though i didn't know he was Chrom's VA at the time). The guy's amazing.

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace
Yeah, loved him in "There Will Be Brawl", (even though i didn't know he was Chrom's VA at the time). The guy's amazing.
I liked that web series, but some of the character deaths were unnecessary, the ending was confusing, and Kirby and Meta Knight looked like inflated potatoes.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Wait wait wait. How did I NEVER NOTICE that was the same VA for Chrom?! Geeze what how? I feel slightly foolish, and yes he was great as both Ganondorf and Kirby.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I bet you if they localized Fuuin no Tsurugi, Roy would suddenly become 18.
That's gonna be awkward if Roy still looks the same but hey, we could blame his young looks on the dragon blood LOL.

Although the thing about Lyn is that she looked older than 15 to me. I didn't really mind that her age was bumped up.

But Chrom's ~19 huh? I always thought he was around 17. Chrom needs to get a new line that's meme worthy like a bunch of Ike's lines lol.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
If Chrom's playable, then I want him to change between weapons over the course of the match. Or more specifically, he should use spears as part of his moveset. I don't like the idea of him being a middle-ground between Marth and Ike.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
People need to go into more detail about the jack-of-all-trades subject, because contrary to popular belief there is varies ways you can interpret that.

Hong

The Strongest
People need to go into more detail about the jack-of-all-trades subject, because contrary to popular belief there is varies ways you can interpret that.
Sort of like the shotos from Street Fighter. The three classics have tools for every situation, but still very clear strengths and weaknesses. Esepcially Akuma.

Mario and Wii Fit Trainer are both very well rounded characters, but WFT has her own defining gimmick outside of just being statistically well-rounded and suited for every situation, that being she has to take time to live healthy life style. She is a "jack of all trades", but is without a doubt still a defensive character compared to Mario.

To go back to your question, personally I see Chrom as a heavily offensive character instead of anything balanced. If he's not putting on pressure, has a short life-span. Like Little Mac, he has a short life expectancy when things aren't going his way. In my moveset, which can be found in the OP, I went with the direction of emphasizing mixups in a way that will work in Smash Bros, and even gave Chrom some tools to maintain a level of threat against projectile users, without allowing him to be an exceptional camper on his own.

None of this "stronger than Marth" or "faster than Ike" rubbish. Every character should be built from the ground-up based on what the product could benefit from most.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You can have a heavy emphasis on offense, but still have balanced attributes. In that case it's got to do more so with what tools a character has in order to achieve that, like a move that can punch holes in the opponent's defenses and allow a oppertunity to preform rushdown tactics.

I would argue that having a more balanced compromise between speed and power is more of a benefit then a hinderence, due to the factor of lacking weaknesses that can be exploited. Which is more helpful in fighting games then other genres.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Plot twist: Marth was made slower so Chrom could be the fast one.
Seriously, though, I see Chrom being more of an aerial character, especially now that Marth's aerials have been nerfed.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Plot twist: Marth was made slower so Chrom could be the fast one.
Seriously, though, I see Chrom being more of an aerial character, especially now that Marth's aerials have been nerfed.
I'm still peeved about Marth's nerfed aerial game. *gets buried under a ton of salt*

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Pretty sure Chrom is going to share relations with Marth or Ike by virtue of his design purposely taking characteristics of varies characters with the Lord class, and the case of Marth making connections due to the bloodline.

I know it sucks, but you got to keep in mind that Chrom is designed to be a homage, not an exception.
Pretty much. At the very least, I expect him to have a counter.

Anyways, how about a semi-humorous trailer for Chrom.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Anyways, how about a semi-humorous trailer for Chrom.
All the Pics of the Day in which Sakurai shipped two characters were just practice for Chrom.
Chrom's trailer will start with Peach sitting at a small two person table. The view is from behind Peach, so you can't who she's with. Zoom in on the table top, a man's hand grabs Peach's while the other hand slips a ring on her finger. It then zooms out and shows Chrom's face.
"CHROM
Proposes!"
Mario then runs up, looks shocked, and stares angrily at Chrom.
Gameplay montage involves Chrom fighting Mario while Peach watches, Chrom fighting Link while Zelda watches, Chrom doing some taunt in front of Zero Suit Samus, Chrom running up to Rosalina and then stopping and looking at her intently, and then Chrom KOing Pit and then running up to Palutena.
Cut to Marth standing in the middle of Battlefield. Chrom runs up to him, looks at him, and walks away.

:troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom