• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
GJ.

I'd be saying the same thing...... If ya know.... he'd actually stand out. switching to lance in a stance change isn't enough, I need a bit more.
eh i hardly ever used the lances with him. but i understand. i wouldnt say he's my favorite character in the game, that would be Tharja, but i do like him and moveset wise he can be made different enough from Marth easily.

Hong

The Strongest
Possible outcomes for playable Chrom:
a) Chrom & Lucina pair up. Probably the best, because it is the most original and reflects the source material.
b) Chrom and the Shepherds.
c) Chrom replacing Ike. This is the reason why I never mention Chrom.

I would be impressed if they can think of an outright original fighting style for Chrom that is not one of the above. I have come up with a few, but I always end up just wanting to apply it to Ike or basically repackaging the character, since Ike clearly has some design issues.

And honestly, if we have one, I don't want the other. Fire Emblem is capable of SO much more.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If they can't do anything good with Chrom, they may as well not even add him as far as I'm concerned.

Definitely Marth and Ike come first. Then add Chrom for the third character is what I think will most likely happen.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Chrom is like the new Winder Waker Link.

People expecting a lot of unorthodox attacks to be used and denying the factor that the character would have any relation to another character.
I'm a little more than half way through Awakening and this pretty much seems to be the case. He even has the same signature moves as Ike so making him completely unique will probably be a stretch. Despite this, I don't see Ike getting cut and, if anything, Chrom would probably be modified to be similar to how Wolf plays in comparison to Fox.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I did remember that Hotfeet444 gave him a wind gimmick of some sort along with the lance trade out a while ago. But, it wouldn't make any sense or isn't good enough. The duo option is the best option so far.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Kinda going off of this, but all the same, I think some people give Sakurai too little credit. Chrom has definite options, here, I feel.

Hong

The Strongest
I was certainly able to make a fresh character with Chrom, but I felt it would be better to adapt it to Ike, since his design just doesn't work as players improve. :/

I mean if people want to see what I came up with, I am willing to type it up again.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Go for it, Hong! I'm all for seeing more potential sets.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Kinda going off of this, but all the same, I think some people give Sakurai too little credit. Chrom has definite options, here, I feel.
Gahaha, it's pretty easy to give Sakurai too little credit, that guy makes some really questionable decisions.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I myself think that if some people honestly expect Roy to be less of a clone, then it's just as easy to make Chrom just as less of a clone, blue hair or not.

Not saying you are hard for Roy @ FlareHabanero FlareHabanero . It's for the people who make that comparison.

I just think it's silly. Give Roy fire because he can be unique, but don't give anything to Chrom because he isn't going to use it. Wut.

I mean I get the idea that Sakurai would leave him with the Falchion and do something there, but if we're going by uniqueness, Chrom using the Falchion alone is a bad idea.

Really though, with the amount of advertisement and exposure Chrom get's I wouldn't be surprised if we see him, and I don't think people should be either. I'll eat my words if his moveset sucks. But I would probably be disappointed as well. Glad to play as Chrom. But disappointed.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Having a character you want be god awful is a terrible thing, and actually encouraging it at any capacity is bloody ********. You actually think I was excited that Sonic sucked horribly in Brawl? Hell no, that really pissed me off and I refused to pick Sonic because of it. It's also why I hated Mewtwo, and held a really nasty grudge against the character for a long time.

But Chrom's and Roy's fate are going to be the same, so might as well pick the character with more contrast.

Hong

The Strongest
My moveset is enclosed below.
My Chrom places higher emphasis on aggression than any swordsman before him. Unlike Marth or Meta Knight, it is not a choice or a play style: It is the way the character is designed. Without putting on constant pressure, Chrom's poor defensive game is exposed and he becomes easy pickings. He can move very quickly thanks to Rout, but his mobility is offset by slower attacks. He is the Captain Falcon of swordsmen.

Specials
B: Rightful King
Chrom holds up his sword as it is enveloped with a blue flame, becoming more intense with time. When adequately charged, Chrom benefits from the "Rightful King" effect. While empowered, all of Chrom's sword strikes are traced with blue flame and his specials are significantly faster. Rightful King decays over time, but all damage dealt refreshes Rightful King.

Rightful King can also be activated immediately after any other special to deal a powerful attack, at the cost of expending the effect.

B Forward: Rout
Chrom lunges forward at great speed. By default this travels roughly a third of Final Destination, but the Special can be cancelled with almost any action, including other attacks, jumping, and grabbing. The only thing that cannot be done out or Rout is shielding, and Rout can only be used once every three seconds.

Rightful King can be activated during Rout to deal a powerful diagonal slash with great launch power.

B Down: Counter
Chrom blocks the enemy's attack with his arm, sending them off balance. Chrom suffers only half the damage of the blocked attack and no knockback, and can immediately act after a Counter. Compared to Power Shielding, this is better for close-ranged counterattacks and can be used in the air, but Power Shielding is still better for projectiles.

Rightful King can be used to deal a counterattack if it pleases you, resulting in a shoulder-check with low launch trajectory.

B Up: Aether
Much like a certain mercenary, Chrom throws his sword into the air and leaps after it before coming down with a mighty slash. Like with Yoshi's eggs, the player can dictate where the sword is thrown by angling the control stick.

At the end of the attack, Rightful King can be used to cancel it with a quick back-flip-cut. In spirit of the series, this heals Chrom for half the damage dealt and has high shield damage.

Final Smash: Awakening
Chrom plants the Falchion in the ground. Blue flames erupt from the ground, and anyone unfortunately enough to be caught is stunned. Chrom then seizes the initiative to deal a great many blows on his enemy. The image of the Fire Emblem can be seen in the background, with each of its gems glowing in succession during the attack. At the end, a trademark character cut-in occurs (with suitable dialogue) before Chrom deals the final blow.

Smash Attacks
Forward: Holds the Falchion to his side in both hands, pointed ahead, before shoving it forward with all of his might.
Down: Leans backwards, holds out his sword and rotates 360°, damaging anyone around him.
Up: Delivers a sword-uppercut. This has a smaller hit-box, but comes out fast.

Aerials
Neutral: Performs a corkscrew, sword swishing around 360°. Short range, but good coverage.
Forward: A forward drop-kick, commonly seen in SSB64.
Back: Leans backwards and goes for an elbow. For what this lacks in range, it has a deadly low launch trajectory.
Down: Downward flip-kick, best explained as an inversion of Fox's upward aerial.
Up: Holds the sword upwards for a bit. This functions much like a "sex kick", so it is strongest as it comes out.

Normals
Neutral: A horizontal sword slice. Hit the input again for a follow up sword thrust.
Forward Tilt: Holds his sword out and twirls it around in a circle to the side. Great coverage.
Down Tilt: A single low spin-kick.
Up Tilt: Quick back-flip-sword-cut.
Dash Attack: Leaping knee.

Grab
Pummel: The Falchion is sheathed during Chrom's grab, leaving an arm free to punch his enemy in the face.
Forward: Kicks the enemy away, draws his blade and strikes them in one quick motion, inspired by iaido.
Back: Tosses them backwards to his side and jumps to deliver a drop-kick.
Down: Slams them on the ground and leaps into the sky off-screen, and returns to deliver a powerful piercing attack.
Up: Tosses them up, draws Falchion from its sheathe and thrusts it upwards into his foe.
That's what I got.

Truth be told, I don't think designing new Fire Emblem characters is hard at all, really.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
My Chrom places higher emphasis on aggression than any swordsman before him. Unlike Marth or Meta Knight, it is not a choice or a play style: It is the way the character is designed. Without putting on constant pressure, Chrom's poor defensive game is exposed and he becomes easy pickings. He can move very quickly thanks to Rout, but his mobility is offset by slower attacks. He is the Captain Falcon of swordsmen.

Specials
Chrom holds up his sword as it is enveloped with a blue flame, becoming more intense with time. When adequately charged, Chrom benefits from the "Rightful King" effect. While empowered, all of Chrom's sword strikes are traced with blue flame and his specials are significantly faster. Rightful King decays over time, but all damage dealt refreshes Rightful King.

Rightful King can also be activated immediately after any other special to deal a powerful attack, at the cost of expending the effect.

Chrom lunges forward at great speed. By default this travels roughly a third of Final Destination, but the Special can be cancelled with almost any action, including other attacks, jumping, and grabbing. The only thing that cannot be done out or Rout is shielding, and Rout can only be used once every three seconds.

Rightful King can be activated during Rout to deal a powerful diagonal slash with great launch power.

Chrom blocks the enemy's attack with his arm, sending them off balance. Chrom suffers only half the damage of the blocked attack and no knockback, and can immediately act after a Counter. Compared to Power Shielding, this is better for close-ranged counterattacks and can be used in the air, but Power Shielding is still better for projectiles.

Rightful King can be used to deal a counterattack if it pleases you, resulting in a shoulder-check with low launch trajectory.

Much like a certain mercenary, Chrom throws his sword into the air and leaps after it before coming down with a mighty slash. Like with Yoshi's eggs, the player can dictate where the sword is thrown by angling the control stick.

At the end of the attack, Rightful King can be used to cancel it with a quick back-flip-cut. In spirit of the series, this heals Chrom for half the damage dealt and has high shield damage.

Chrom plants the Falchion in the ground. Blue flames erupt from the ground, and anyone unfortunately enough to be caught is stunned. Chrom then seizes the initiative to deal a great many blows on his enemy. The image of the Fire Emblem can be seen in the background, with each of its gems glowing in succession during the attack. At the end, a trademark character cut-in occurs (with suitable dialogue) before Chrom deals the final blow.

Smash Attacks
Forward: Holds the Falchion to his side in both hands, pointed ahead, before shoving it forward with all of his might.
Down: Leans backwards, holds out his sword and rotates 360°, damaging anyone around him.

Aerials
Neutral: Performs a corkscrew, sword swishing around 360°. Short range, but good coverage.
Back: Leans backwards and goes for an elbow. For what this lacks in range, it has a deadly low launch trajectory.
Down: Downward flip-kick, best explained as an inversion of Fox's upward aerial.
Up: Holds the sword upwards for a bit. This functions much like a "sex kick", so it is strongest as it comes out.

Normals
Neutral: A horizontal sword slice. Hit the input again for a follow up sword thrust.
Forward Tilt: Holds his sword out and twirls it around in a circle to the side. Great coverage.

Grab
Pummel: The Falchion is sheathed during Chrom's grab, leaving an arm free to punch his enemy in the face.
Forward: Kicks the enemy away, draws his blade and strikes them in one quick motion, inspired by iaido.
Down: Slams them on the ground and leaps into the sky off-screen, and returns to deliver a powerful piercing attack.
Up: Tosses them up, draws Falchion from its sheathe and thrusts it upwards into his foe.
That's what I got.

Truth be told, I don't think designing new Fire Emblem characters is hard at all, really.
I like this a lot. Doesn't even dip into the other options, yet gives him chances to be very different all the same.

He would be like the Wolf of Fire Emblem.

Hong

The Strongest
I like this a lot. Doesn't even dip into the other options, yet gives him chances to be very different all the same.

He would be like the Wolf of Fire Emblem.
Thanks!

More than anything I focused on what could be fun while still being true to Chrom, and a product that is original came out naturally, which is the way it should be.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord

Specials

Smash Attacks

Aerials

Normals

Grab
That's what I got.

Nice moveset man, I'm digging the Rightful King gimmick.

What about something different than the staple counter though? You said he'd be more offensive oriented, so maybe a charge attack or some other thing (I can think of stuff, I'm just tired :scared:).

Also, is his Aether supposed to be like the spin attack in Awakening? The one he used against "Marth."
The sword going up could be a single hit, but it'd become a multi-hit spin on the way down with a powerful blow as he hits the ground.

Hong

The Strongest
Nice moveset man, I'm digging the Rightful King gimmick.
Thanks!
What about something different than the staple counter though? You said he'd be more offensive oriented, so maybe a charge attack or some other thing (I can think of stuff, I'm just tired :scared:).
That is why I made a Counter you would want to use against someone who uses an offence AGAINST YOUR offence! It with-holds the symbolism of Fire Emblem characters being able to Counter in battle, but instead of actually protecting the character, it opens up more offensive opportunities. It is more about control than anything, and well suited to be paired up with Rout.

It is possible that Rightful King could be mapped to the same button and Javelin could become his new neutral B, though.
Also, is his Aether supposed to be like the spin attack in Awakening? The one he used against "Marth."
The sword going up could be a single hit, but it'd become a multi-hit spin on the way down with a powerful blow as he hits the ground.

Though it is entirely possible he could do many spins on the way down.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Thanks! That is why I made a Counter you would want to use against someone who uses an offence AGAINST YOUR offence! It with-holds the symbolism of Fire Emblem characters being able to Counter in battle, but instead of actually protecting the character, it opens up more offensive opportunities. It is more about control than anything, and well suited to be paired up with Rout.

It is possible that Rightful King could be mapped to the same button and Javelin could become his new neutral B, though.

Though it is entirely possible he could do many spins on the way down.
I know what the mercenary's is like, but I was thinking of Chrom's move wrong. In this video he jumps really high with sword in hand, then comes down with multiple spins:

Rightful King could be mapped to down-B, but instead of the javelin how about a "Fire Emblem Shield" move. It's a chargeable shield-bash (or blast) that acts as a counter while charging it. The downside could be that it can only be an attack if fully charged, and also have some cooldown to prevent spamming for counter properties (if cancelled before attack). I dunno, that's just one idea of many. I'm not trying to criticize your moveset, but it'd be nice to see something fairly different from the FE counter.

Hong

The Strongest
Even if you were criticizing it (which you aren't), I wouldn't have any problem with that, friend. :)

Those are all solid ideas.

I did have a whole different kind of Chrom in my mind before, so perhaps when/if I ever present that, that will be a good chance to incorporate some of your awesome ideas into the moveset.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Even if you were criticizing it (which you aren't), I wouldn't have any problem with that, friend. :)

Those are all solid ideas.

I did have a whole different kind of Chrom in my mind before, so perhaps when/if I ever present that, that will be a good chance to incorporate some of your awesome ideas into the moveset.
Thanks man! But yeah, I only say that because this is the internet lol. Things get taken the wrong way too often, and I tire of debates.

I would definitely be interested in seeing whatever other ideas you have though. Hell, half the time I think the community should be designing the official movesets.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Awesome idea, Hong! I'm adding it to the OP as we speak.

Hong

The Strongest
Thanks. ^~^ Feel free to get rid of the non-moveset part of the post. Spoilers within spoilers cause truncating.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I'm feeling like making a moveset too. You can expect one from me later today (gonna do some things first).

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I think it's safe to say Chrom is pretty much a shoe-in for this game. I'd be shocked if he didn't make it. He has my full support.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Chrom is one of the few characters i think is very likely to be playable. He will have an apperance in the Shin Megami Tensei Crossover and he is a costume
in Monster Hunter. I would prefer Lucina but i wont complain if he gets in.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'm a little more than half way through Awakening and this pretty much seems to be the case. He even has the same signature moves as Ike so making him completely unique will probably be a stretch. Despite this, I don't see Ike getting cut and, if anything, Chrom would probably be modified to be similar to how Wolf plays in comparison to Fox.
You know, when translated into Smash, Chrom's Aether would be a completely different move in both animation and function from Ike. That said, if Chrom makes it in,I'll be amused if people see his Aether as a clone move of Ike's despite only sharing a name in common in this particular context.

D

Deleted member

I may rather see Robin at this point instead of Chrom, but I'm thinking that a stance system/weapon switch would be interesting to see. To me, at least.
For example, Chrom can switch between "Sword Mode" and "Lance Mode" or whatever.

Could even be extended to the Reclassing, and have Chrom switch from "Lord Mode" to "Cavalier Mode" to "Archer Mode", etc.

Hong

The Strongest
I'm feeling like making a moveset too. You can expect one from me later today (gonna do some things first).
One move I really liked but couldn't fit into my build is a charging strike, far different from the others. Chrom would be able to hold B to charge, but still run around at full speed while doing so. To make it better, he would be able to cancel it with a roll or grab for sexy mixups.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
One move I really liked but couldn't fit into my build is a charging strike, far different from the others. Chrom would be able to hold B to charge, but still run around at full speed while doing so. To make it better, he would be able to cancel it with a roll or grab for sexy mixups.
So like a running, super charged, Dedede jet hammer :troll:? Sounds stylish!

Btw I actually finished my moveset earlier. I'm hoping to type it up tonight (but I'm doing college work first). I added some cool features to him revolving around the Exalted Falchion (both visually and moveset-wise).

Hong

The Strongest
So like a running, super charged, Dedede jet hammer :troll:? Sounds stylish!
I honestly completely forgot that move existed. I got the idea for mine from this.
Btw I actually finished my moveset earlier. I'm hoping to type it up tonight (but I'm doing college work first). I added some cool features to him revolving around the Exalted Falchion (both visually and moveset-wise).
Awesome. Looking forward to it. ^~^

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Lol no.

No one is really a "shoe-in" for this game, just letting you know so you don't get your hopes up 2 high. Just in case.
Exactly Zero, you shouldn't get your hopes 2 high for Lyn Erika :troll:.

Chrom's gonna be in kekekeke my new main's here :awesome:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Exactly Zero, you shouldn't get your hopes 2 high for Lyn Erika :troll:.

Chrom's gonna be in kekekeke my new main's here :awesome:
Just saying whatever we get, we should be ok with.

Lyn's gonna be in a smash game anyway, so the joke's on you. kekekekekekekeke :awesome:

Mirron

Smash Journeyman
Eh, if Chrom doesn't make the jump to playable rep for whatever reason (though I think he's immensely likely), then I don't really see him not being an Assist Trophy, I'd guess he'd get that at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom