• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Fact of the matter is, Intelligent Systems is consistently advertising Chrom and Lucina. Monster Hunter being the latest example.

At this point in time, there is very little reason for them to have Sakurai add Roy UNLESS they are currently working on a remake of Roy's game. That is in my opinion his only chance of getting in over Chrom.

Of course I still have a hard time believing that is going to happen if they are STILL advertising Awakening characters.

There is a chance for Roy. But I firmly believe it is a long shot.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
HMMMM...

I kinda like the idea of an anti-projectile character. Like what has already been said, Pit's a good example of one. Lots of reflectors... and I totally love how Wings of Icarus can cancel out a lot of projectiles. And wingdashing provides so much utility... I'm gonna cry if it doesn't return. Seriously, wingdashing is one of my fave techniques in Brawl. :/

Anyway, we can spend all day coming up with different reflector ideas, and that's all fine and dandy, but I'd prefer some other unique anti-projectile moves -- something to differentiate Chrom. In my moveset, Chrom can pull out the Shield of Seals, which creates a slow moving, weak shock wave. Any projectile that hits the wave gets reflected, so it is a reflector (similar to Hsien-ko's gong in MvC3). However, absorbing/canceling projectiles is another idea. Similar to PSI Magnet, a move could absorb projectiles, and once absorbed, some sort of effect happens. Chrom could be powered up in some way, maybe buffing his defence or offence... or something cuz I'm kinda bad when coming up with ideas like this. No joke. But anything so it will be different than PSI Magnet.

Having a move that could absorb and "store" projectiles is another idea. Maybe the move could be released at any time, and the more moves it adsorbed, the stronger the damage (having a cap of how many attacks it can store). Perhaps if Chrom is a stance-user, the released power would have a different added effect depending in the current stance.

In many fighting games, characters have teleports, multi-hit attacks, and other moves that can cancel and punish projectiles. Not really sure how teleporting would work in Smash though... but yeah, using some standard moves could be an easier way of canceling projectiles.

Evasion is another idea. Perhaps Chrom could have a charge/dash move, that allows him to pass throw projectiles, attacking opponents if in contact. Or some sort of special roll move... Anything that would make him a good fighter to punish projectile users.

Um, yeah, these are just some ideas...

But I'm really eager to try out Villager's pocket move now, as it looks like a hilarious reflector lol.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Y'know, if Chrom would have a 'classical knight'-based moveset with his sword and shield, a la Monster Hunter-style, I'd be more willing to accept him. The shield he has is the Shield of Seals right? Marth obviously won't use it, so if Chrom can use it to set himself appart, am cool with that. I mean, the Shield of Seals is the damn blasted Fire Emblem itself after all.

It's sad that Monster Hunter can make Chrom look more appealing than Fire Emblem Awakening itself though.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Damn, I remember I made a post sometime ago with different ideas on how Chrom could use the Shield of Seals but the search function can't go that far back to find it, it seems. :( Oh well...

I think in the post I explained that if the shield were to be out all the time, I'd prefer it to function differently than Link's shield (because now we technically have two sword users with the same shield mechanic).

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Monster Hunter Chrom can't make his cape wave without air when he attacks, so he's automatically less cool.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Monster Hunter Chrom can't make his cape wave without air when he attacks, so he's automatically less cool.
Do they have in-game footage of the costumes out?

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I still think Chrom is likely, but with the Rosalina reveal, it is being more obvious Sakurai is looking for unique fighters. Chrom is cool, but is he unique? I think Chrom is unique enough, but will Sakurai think so?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I still think Chrom is likely, but with the Rosalina reveal, it is being more obvious Sakurai is looking for unique fighters. Chrom is cool, but is he unique? I think Chrom is unique enough, but will Sakurai think so?
On the contrary, I think it helps Chrom more than it harms him. Before this, Rosalina was often viewed as a "Peach clone at best." Yet, Sakurai pulled through. I think he'll do the same for Chrom (perhaps making the stance-change idea a reality?).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
More like the combination of Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, and Rosalina making the prospect of Chrom seem a lot less appealing, and this feeling will probably get worse if newcomers continue to emphasize being diverse.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
On the contrary, I think it helps Chrom more than it harms him. Before this, Rosalina was often viewed as a "Peach clone at best." Yet, Sakurai pulled through. I think he'll do the same for Chrom (perhaps making the stance-change idea a reality?).
While I don't really think reps from one franchise have any effect on characters from others I'd tend to agree with this sentiment. Honestly though I think the argument that "He won't be unique enough" is a blatantly stupid argument to begin with, just because you as a player aren't clever enough to see how Chrom would be unique doesn't really mean jack squat. Sakurai has proven numerous time he can take a character and make them unique, and there are more than enough elements of Fire Emblem not employed by either of the existing characters that he could easily have a cool and unique moveset.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
More like the combination of Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, and Rosalina making the prospect of Chrom seem a lot less appealing, and this feeling will probably get worse if newcomers continue to emphasize being diverse.
How so? Sakurai has been shown to go out of his way to bring in unique fighters. If he could do it for Rosalina, then why not Chrom? Why is it that you can't picture Chrom being diverse, in spite of the fact that two weeks ago, people would have said the same about Rosalina? Just curious, is all.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
How so? Sakurai has been shown to go out of his way to bring in unique fighters. If he could do it for Rosalina, then why not Chrom? Why is it that you can't picture Chrom being diverse, in spite of the fact that two weeks ago, people would have said the same about Rosalina? Just curious, is all.
First off, I will say that people jumping onto the idea that Rosalina guaranteed to be a clone of Peach were kind of jumping the gun, mainly because in context both girls don't sport the same abilities. Unless there was some sort of game where Peach had divine powers beyond comprehension I'm missing here or something. In fact, I would compare Rosalina to Zelda more then Peach. But still, the gameplay by using Lumas as a secondary fighter was something that caught me off guard, though at the same time I do appreciate the idea because it basically provides the Super Smash Bros. equivalent to the likes of Eddie & Zato-1 from Guilty Gear or Carl & Nirvana from BlazBlue.

Anyway, I do think people labeling Rosalina as a clone were kind of jumping the gun too soon regardless. In fact, I would easily say that for Rosalina more so then Chrom, mainly her abilities are more distinctive and obvious, while with Chrom you need to do a little fancy dissection work in order to say the same thing, and even then in some cases you could say that other characters could do the same thing but better. I will however say that with gameplay elements from other fighting games are being taken into consideration, I want to see a Chrom and Lucina duo played in a style reminiscent to the Marvel vs. Capcom assist mechanic.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
First off, I will say that people jumping onto the idea that Rosalina guaranteed to be a clone of Peach were kind of jumping the gun, mainly because in context both girls don't sport the same abilities. Unless there was some sort of game where Peach had divine powers beyond comprehension I'm missing here or something. In fact, I would compare Rosalina to Zelda more then Peach. But still, the gameplay by using Lumas as a secondary fighter was something that caught me off guard, though at the same time I do appreciate the idea because it basically provides the Super Smash Bros. equivalent to the likes of Eddie & Zato-1 from Guilty Gear or Carl & Nirvana from BlazBlue.

Anyway, I do think people labeling Rosalina as a clone were kind of jumping the gun too soon regardless. In fact, I would easily say that for Rosalina more so then Chrom, mainly her abilities are more distinctive and obvious, while with Chrom you need to do a little fancy dissection work in order to say the same thing, and even then in some cases you could say that other characters could do the same thing but better. I will however say that with gameplay elements from other fighting games are being taken into consideration, I want to see a Chrom and Lucina duo played in a style reminiscent to the Marvel vs. Capcom assist mechanic.
Fair enough, haha. The MvC duo mechanic does actually sound pretty interesting. Care to elaborate?

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
just beat Awakening. i definately want Chrom in Smash now :D
Play lunatic+ and say that again.... :troll:

In all seriousness, hi chrom supporters. I'm not a supporter but I might be if you guys had some interesting moveset options to dish out.

I'll be lurking as usual.

Fair enough, haha. The MvC duo mechanic does actually sound pretty interesting. Care to elaborate?
Its the tag team thing Fastblade, him and I were talking about, not a dual character but a switch out character. here's what he said, they were talking about this in the fire emblem thread btw and a bit on the prediction thread, if you want to see it for yourself.

"Well, hypothetically speaking, it would be an interesting mechanic for potentially extending combos or providing defense by switching between characters. I mean you could simply stick with Lucina, but say you need to break the opponents relentless beatdown on you, you can switch to Chrom to break the opponents momentum and strike back. Alternatively, you can cause more creative chains by constantly swapping between characters in order to achieve a relentless beatdown, kind of how it works in Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Of course, there is always the concern with balance..." --Mr. Habanero.

I'm sure he'll say more when he wakes up or something.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The MvC duo mechanic does actually sound pretty interesting. Care to elaborate?
For quick context, the varies games in the Marvel vs. Capcom games starting with X-Men vs. Street Fighter, allowed you to pick two or three characters at once. However, you only control one character at a time while the others are in reserve, and you can either swap between characters or summon one of them as an assist to inflict additional damage.

Chrom and Lucina are a pair, but only one is at play at a time. For example, you'll start with either Chrom or Lucina and just like any other character they have specials, tilts, aerials, throw, etc. at your disposal to control, but each character has their own properties to play with, while the other character not in control stays in the background. The main catch though is the ability to swap between characters with additional offensive and defensive purposes, basically something along the lines of a Zelda/Sheik or Pokemon Trainer style but with a lot more utility. You can use the swap to break the momentum of the opponent, or use the swap to preform an additional extra attack and extend combos. You could also use the other character as an assist in order to preform an action or two.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
For quick context, the varies games in the Marvel vs. Capcom games starting with X-Men vs. Street Fighter, allowed you to pick two or three characters at once. However, you only control one character at a time while the others are in reserve, and you can either swap between characters or summon one of them as an assist to inflict additional damage.

Chrom and Lucina are a pair, but only one is at play at a time. For example, you'll start with either Chrom or Lucina and just like any other character they have specials, tilts, aerials, throw, etc. at your disposal to control, but each character has their own properties to play with, while the other character not in control stays in the background. The main catch though is the ability to swap between characters with additional offensive and defensive purposes, basically something along the lines of a Zelda/Sheik or Pokemon Trainer style but with a lot more utility. You can use the swap to break the momentum of the opponent, or use the swap to preform an additional extra attack and extend combos. You could also use the other character as an assist in order to preform an action or two.
Oh wow, that's quite enticing. If they get in as a duo, something like this would be cool to see. As far as their properties, I'm guessing Chrom focuses more on strength while Lucina's more about speed? I'm guessing weight differences would also be present, right?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Now that I think of it, combining both characters (Chrom and Lucina) should be able to kill two birds with one stone and make the character overall very interesting. That way, Fire Emblem would be able to have as much reps as possible whether we have either Ike and/or Roy. After all, both characters are equally promoted if they both appear in a Monster Hunter game and a Shin Megami Tensei crossover.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I actually really like that idea. It sounds like it could work well, and would not only differentiate the two from Marth and Ike, but from the entire roster. I like it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just wanted to say that I'm in the process of putting a new Special on my Chrom moveset, as well as refreshing it a bit. Just to give Zero a status report. :p

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Just wanted to say that I'm in the process of putting a new Special on my Chrom moveset, as well as refreshing it a bit. Just to give Zero a status report. :p
Have you tried yourself on a stick? I hear its very delicious, I wanna eat you now. :awesome:

In all seriousness though, thank you buddy. Although, you don't have to do this for me.... take your time with things, i'm always lurking everywhere.... if there's a thread that says guests: 1 .....that's usually me.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Chrom and Lucina could be clones of each other. You only play as one.

When you use a special move, if you press B with the right timing during the move a swap will occur for potential extra damage. You then play as that character. Both share percentage damage.

Hong

The Strongest
I always assumed that a Chrom/Lucina team would be the first idea that comes to mind. It is a matter of whether or not they want to devote the vast technical resources that are required for it.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Chrom and Little Mac are two such characters that need a mechanic in order to get in.

The tag team mechanic with Lucina is the only way I see Chrom being able to really stand out.
The star punch mechanic is the one of limited ways I see Little Mac adding something worth anything to the roster.

Otherwise, Chrom is a popular character that slashes and Little Mac is a popular character that punches.

Chrom has it even worse because there are other blue haired sword Lords with Fire Emblem abilities already in the game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think Chrom and Little Mac are two such characters that need a mechanic in order to get in.

The tag team mechanic with Lucina is the only way I see Chrom being able to really stand out.
The star punch mechanic is the one of limited ways I see Little Mac adding something worth anything to the roster.

Otherwise, Chrom is a popular character that slashes and Little Mac is a popular character that punches.

Chrom has it even worse because there are other blue haired sword Lords with Fire Emblem abilities already in the game.
Ironically enough, they're the two new characters I most want to see.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Sakurai already tried to create a tag-team mechanic for Diddy and Dixie in Brawl, and he ended up scrapping Dixie because he couldn't make it work without a vast amount of time, work, and effort. While they've been working on it for almost as long as Brawl, and likely longer, plus with Namco's help, they could perhaps make it work with Chrom and Lucina, but I have some doubts that Sakurai would attempt doing that again with a different duo, especially if that's a lot of unnecessary development time to implement the tag-team feature he couldn't make work last around that could be put into other characters or features. And as Bowserlick said above, without that, Chrom is just another blue-haired sword user, and while he has lances and axes to set himself apart, it may not be as innovative and unique/diverse a moveset as we've seen with the revealed newcomers as well as a few veterans as well, which Sakurai seems to be going for this time around.

That being said, if Chrom is in, with or without the tag-team mechanic, I won't mind and will be excited to see how Sakurai makes him unique.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hey guys! Due to a computer issue, I've been unable to get on the Boards for a while. In the down-time, I did some posting in Miiverse for fun. During the time there, I actually decided to update the playstyle idea I had for Chrom, and put it on Miiverse. Since I can access the site now, I'll copy/paste it over here for you guys to see.

Idea: Chrom gets in with a stance-change mechanic that lets him switch between using the Falchion and the Spear depending on the situation, to make him more diverse.

Essentially, in Falchion mode, he's stronger, heavier and focuses on staying alive (with an added healing mechanic). Spear mode allows him to be faster and have more reach and a projectile at the expense of weight and power. His specials take on new properties, as well. The others are pretty much stat changes with different aesthetics, though, for time purposes.

The Down Special would allow Chrom to change his weapon, his playstyle referencing the gameplay in Fire Emblem in the fact that he uses the right weapon to strategically fit the situation.

While the Side and Up Specials, are vary depending on the weapon, Chrom's Neutral Special stays the same. It's the Shield of Seals, which then ignites in holy fire. Chrom holds the shield in front of him and rushes forward. Unlike other "charge forward" moves, this move takes the foe WITH Chrom. He doesn't stop unless the player jumps or hits a ledge. This move does flame damage and upward knockback, as to be avoidable. If held for too long, Chrom takes some minor burn damage. As a callback to Awakening, Chrom's Shield of Seals Neutral Special would be called "Rightful King."

Chrom's side special and up special are the two halves of Aether divided: Luna and Sol, respectively. In Falchion mode, Luna is similar in appearance to Ike's Quick Draw, but has the effect of Marth's Shield Breaker. He rushes forward and causes light damage, but ignores the effect of shields. This move causes NO KNOCKBACK, however, and has some ending lag. In Spear mode, Luna is instead a a projectile attack in which Chrom lobs his spear in an arc at the opponent. The arc can be controlled, and he tosses it like a javelin.

Chrom's Up Special is Sol. During Falchion mode, Chrom uses his Exalted weapon to swing himself upward. If it hits a foe, you'll even recover a bit of health, similar to Ness and Lucas' down special. During Sol in Spear mode, Chrom leaps upward (higher than Falchion mode) and descends in a diagonal fashion. While easier to use and hit with, Chrom cannot heal in Spear mode, so pick wisely.

For fun, Chrom's Final Smash is Dual Strike+. In this, he calls in the (cloaked) Avatar and Lucina, who help Chrom beat down the opposition.

Generally, Chrom's playstyle would involve switching his weapon to fit the situation: Falchion for power and durability, or Spear for reach and speed, separating him from Marth and Ike. Chrom's positives and negatives both stem from his adaptability. He NEEDS to use the right thing at the right time, or he'll suffer. Anyway, that's just how I see Chrom working in Smash. I feel he'd make a great Stance guy, a classic fighting game archetype that Smash Bros. currently lacks.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Nice moveset. ^~^

Welcome back, friend.

I have never lost my love for Chrom, but I am always reluctant of public displays of adoration for the character since it is likely to start a ****-storm one way or another. :/

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I am still a Chrom supporter, but I will despise his inclusion if it takes Ike from me.

Ike is one of my homies now...and I know nobody here really wants that. But I will say, Chrom still has his chance to be unique, and I think a lot of people shoot him down because they get hard over Roy and don't have enough imagination.

Again, if Sakurai is to ask Intelligent Systems, I guarantee that they will request Chrom. It's a no brainer. Their next big game is SMT X FE, and if Chrom is the main FE character, then there's no freaking doubt he's their choice.

Sakurai is a creative guy, and he has a team. They will most certainly come up with something.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Chrom was never my homie, because unlike the brainless barnacles at GameFAQs I can quite clearly see through this thinly veiled scheme. It has nothing to do with Roy or a lack of imagination, it has to do more with seeing that he's providing nothing to the table when it's pretty clear that being distinctive is being heavily emphasized. Why the hell should I crawl towards Chrom? We already have Marth and Ike, who pretty much take whatever niche Chrom would of done. Also why should I go to Chrom, when I can go for Takamaru and Shulk and get better results? If it's because of the success of Fire Emblem: Awakening, then that is a pretty piss poor argument. Can't use the bias that Chrom was my first Lord and as such would be attached to him, because that's not the case at all. Can't even use the argument that he's a very well developed character, because he's very underdeveloped.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Chrom was never my homie, because unlike the brainless barnacles at GameFAQs I can quite clearly see through this thinly veiled scheme. It has nothing to do with Roy or a lack of imagination, it has to do more with seeing that he's providing nothing to the table when it's pretty clear that being distinctive is being heavily emphasized. Why the hell should I crawl towards Chrom? We already have Marth and Ike, who pretty much take whatever niche Chrom would of done. Also why should I go to Chrom, when I can go for Takamaru and Shulk and get better results? If it's because of the success of Fire Emblem: Awakening, then that is a pretty piss poor argument. Can't use the bias that Chrom was my first Lord and as such would be attached to him, because that's not the case at all. Can't even use the argument that he's a very well developed character, because he's very underdeveloped.
Nobody said you have to like or support him. That's the power of an opinion. Nobody can stop you from hating him, and I certainly won't either.

However, the Fire Emblem spotlight is on Chrom and Lucina. The idea that Sakurai would pick somebody (if we even get a newcomer mind you) over Chrom or Lucina, uniqueness be damned, is a little mind boggling.

Obviously, he isn't going to pick a random lord like Sigurd or Alm. But Sakurai may still be going to Intelligent Systems, and like it or not, Chrom is an icon of Fire Emblem now. Nintendo is making the effort to show him off. Whether that will translate into Smash or not is a whole other thing. But thinking it's going strictly by uniqueness is something that will only lead to surprise and disappointment.

Not to mention that if Sakurai goes to Intelligent Systems and says to them, "Alright. Show me what you got.", the developers there are going to show him Chrom and Lucina. I doubt that they would care about Robin even. They just want to print money for themselves. Because on the surface Chrom appears to be just another blue haired swordsmen (which I can partially agree with to be completely honest), they will surely make the argument that he isn't.

That's just how I look at it.

You know me Xenoblaze. I am an avid Shulk supporter. I agree that he has immense amounts of uniqueness. All I am saying is that Fire Emblem is in a predicament at the moment. Whether Sakurai pursues a character is up to him. But expecting uniqueness out of Fire Emblem (at least to me) is a waste of time and energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom