• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Somebody on Screwattack suggested Id~Purpose as his theme.
The "Id" songs typically follow your avatar. I don't think we could call them Chrom's theme even if we wanted to.

My initial thought was to take something upbeat but going the more Eternal Bond rout (labeled Ike's theme in brawl) I sorta think Destiny has a nice fit for chrom.
Maybe its just me, but after listening to it with this idea in mind, I feel like it matches Chrom's personality pretty well.
Ablaze version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy039eKE5eo

It also contains awakenings main melody which... actually can be seen as a reason to choose it or deny it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I always associated Divine Decree and Don't Speak Her Name with Chrom, personally.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Id Purpose was my favorite from Awakening. But I think if Chrom has an actual theme, it would probably be given to him.

I still think Purpose will get into the game as additional music. It's just too epic to pass up.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
I always associated Divine Decree and Don't Speak Her Name with Chrom, personally.
What about Destiny-Ablaze? That song is both epic and perfect for Smash. I could defenitely see that or Don't speak her name! as a Chrom "theme".

Give Chrom an interesting sword based move-set (with chargeable magic based swings I guess) alongside a Bow and Lance and he would be a great character

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Give Chrom an interesting sword based move-set (with chargeable magic based swings I guess) alongside a Bow and Lance and he would be a great character
My only question is...why add the magic? It sort of just seems tacked on. Then again, Ike had a fire magic effect on his Neutral Special, but that was only due to Sakurai not wanting to give him Ragnell's ranged attack. I just don't see it necessary to give Chrom magic, personally.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I have a question? When do YOU think Chrom would be revealed as a newcoming starter? Whenever they release a new trailer for Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem or on the first anniversary of Fire Emblem Awakening's Japanese release?

My only question is...why add the magic? It sort of just seems tacked on. Then again, Ike had a fire magic effect on his Neutral Special, but that was only due to Sakurai not wanting to give him Ragnell's ranged attack. I just don't see it necessary to give Chrom magic, personally.
It is just his charge up attack effect, like the fire for Roy and Ike

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I have a question? When do YOU think Chrom would be revealed as a newcoming starter? Whenever they release a new trailer for Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem or on the first anniversary of Fire Emblem Awakening's Japanese release?
Whenever, because there is no pattern.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If I had to guess? April 18th of 2014. It's the day before the 1-year anniversary of Fire Emblem Awakening.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sorry for the Double Post, but I've just been meaning to give an update on the "surprise" I said I'd put in the OP. Well, it'll take a bit longer, because of RL things getting in the way.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Whenever, because there is no pattern.
There is definitely a pattern. Peach is the only character so far announced Post E3 without a game release being tied to it. Peach was announced because of the Mario Bros. anniversary.

However, i'm not entirely sure that we'll see newcomers revealed in random updates. I feel as if we're getting them in bursts, via Nintendo Direct trailers.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I would have to assume that's more then likely the case since they previously mentioned having trailer similar to the first three for the newcomers be kind of odd to just randomly have them appear on the site on a random day.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hypothetically, let's assume that newcomers are only shown in clumps during special events. If this is the case, do you think Chrom will be in the next clump, and if so, with who?

I'd imagine it would be in a trailer with Ridley and Little Mac, perhaps. Mainly because the three of them have stage evidence going for them.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It's hard to say, it seems to me that Megaman and Wii Fit Trainer were announced early on to get people talking sp I assume they will wait until they feel a reason to raise hype again. Since we haven't had any other newcomers it's hard to say if there is any pattern at all.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Hypothetically, let's assume that newcomers are only shown in clumps during special events. If this is the case, do you think Chrom will be in the next clump, and if so, with who?

I'd imagine it would be in a trailer with Ridley and Little Mac, perhaps. Mainly because the three of them have stage evidence going for them.
The only situation I can see where there is a clump would be for next year's E3 reveal. My guess is he (or whoever there Awakening rep is) would be revealed along with Little Mac, and one more less likely character (ala Wii Fit Trainer and the Villager).

I could see the Awakening being the FE starter similar to how Ike was the FE starter, so I could also see Chrom being revealed as a standalone character. Maybe even the first newcomer reveal, considering FE has no reps as of this moment.

Morbi

Scavenger

I think that Roy would be revealed in the Mewtwo clump. Perhaps with a character like Dr. Mario. A Melee returning veterans clump. Oh wait... is this the Chrom thread? :troll:

In all seriousness, I think that Chrom might be revealed alongside another sword user. Just for a neat little pattern. I am not entirely sure who. I don't want to say Shulk, but I might have to.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Roy's My Boy, but I'm not a shear bias person. I'd love it if Chrom got in. (Even if it is over Roy)
I'm pretty much that way. I'd personally take Chrom over Roy, but I wouldn't mind if one got in over the other. Just as long as Marth and Ike stay, haha.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Thanks there, Mr. Jones. And don't post anything that can get Venus fired. ;)

Anyway, I'm planning something for this thread. Just need a bit more time, haha.

?????????????

Smash Master
Yay Chrom!

...I actually don't think I ever took a look at the thread before. I'm doing a little more exploring around now. A supporter I am!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yay Chrom!

...I actually don't think I ever took a look at the thread before. I'm doing a little more exploring around now. A supporter I am!
Glad to have you on board, haha. You've been added to the support list.

Anyway, to freshen up some discussion...to everyone here, what's the consensus on a "favorite" Final Smash option for Chrom? Lots of ideas seem to be thrown around.

?????????????

Smash Master
Glad to have you on board, haha. You've been added to the support list.

Anyway, to freshen up some discussion...to everyone here, what's the consensus on a "favorite" Final Smash option for Chrom? Lots of ideas seem to be thrown around.
Well, I'm new, so I don't know everything that's been thrown around. But I like the ideas that incorporate Lucina as a Dual Support; either as a one-blast/combo team attack, or as a pseudo-assist trophy.

Hyal

Smash Cadet
Lucina on her own doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I actually support Chrom, or him being paired with her unlikely but whatever. But as for the final smash, A Team Attack between father and daughter OR Chrom and Robin would be awesome.

In general tho: Marth, Ike and Chrom seems ideal to me. If Sakurai feels generous, Roy too.

Add me to the list of supporters please :>

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well, I'm new, so I don't know everything that's been thrown around. But I like the ideas that incorporate Lucina as a Dual Support; either as a one-blast/combo team attack, or as a pseudo-assist trophy.
I would say post your idea for a Chrom moveset. I really liked your ideas from the Roster thread earlier. It made me realize what they could do with him. Let's just say I was stiffer than I was before. And that's saying something considering I have Scoliosis :troll:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Why is everyone so desperate for a tag team between Chrom and Lucina anyway? That's like begging for technical complications and balancing nightmares.

You remember the last time we got a tag team duo? You remember the game breaking chain grabs?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Why is everyone so desperate for a tag team between Chrom and Lucina anyway? That's like begging for technical complications and balancing nightmares.

You remember the last time we got a tag team duo? You remember the game breaking chain grabs?

Yea I myself would rather Chrom be on his own. I don't really see the need for Lucina to be involved whatsoever.

Hyal

Smash Cadet
Well, I wouldn't call it desperation... Maybe it seems like the only way to include the most relevant change in fe mechanics? The dual attacks, I mean. I haven't finished the game, but it was really cool and I liked it a lot. Or maybe that's the only way to include her at all? As I said, I prefer Chrom over Lucina, so I am not saying she doesn't have any chance but who even knows with this game.

IN THE END, i think you're completely right about the balancing issues. So maybe only the final smash? in the end not relevant to competitive matchs but eeeehh

?????????????

Smash Master
I would say post your idea for a Chrom moveset. I really liked your ideas from the Roster thread earlier. It made me realize what they could do with him. Let's just say I was stiffer than I was before. And that's saying something considering I have Scoliosis :troll:
Okay.

The context here was last night, I was posting in the roster thread on why I would like Chrom as a character. I was...challenged? Encouraged? Inspired?...to describe an idea for an original moveset for Chrom, the way I envisioned it.

This was my response. I was a little tired when I wrote it, so there's a couple words I would change reading it now...but I do like it:

I'll do my best to describe it, but I'm a little tired.

The animations that Chrom has in Awakening and the cutscenes that display the battles of both Chrom and Lucina show the specific kinds of manuevers I mean. Because Lucina says that she learned her moves "from her Father," I think it's completely reasonable to incorporate her attacks into Chrom's moveset.

When looking at Chrom's in-battle animations, he jumps a lot (which isn't too uncommon for Fire Emblem Lords), and he angles his sword in arcs that look...very uncomfortable for his arm. Some of his battle animations seem to directly contradict what Marth does: For instance, when he rushes forward to strike, he stabs at an upward-diagonal angle, as opposed to Marth who slashes. When Chrom strikes upward, he slashes TOWARDS HIMSELF at an arc to essentially "uppercut" the opponent with his blade, and follow through outward to pull the opponent in.

When looking at the various cutscenes through Awakening, their are a lot of other moves that I find inspiring. One of the first we see is a fight against the Risen in the beginning. One of the small details that I find interesting in how he fights in this cutscene is how he uses two hands to strike with a forward slash for more power. Ike does something similar sometimes, but it's a bit more unusual with Chrom's smaller blade. In several cutscenes, when Chrom is able to use more power (such as when an enemy is being held off), he switches to a two-handed style that's much more straightforward than his regular way of fighting.

The most impressive display, though, is the cutscene of his fight against Lucina in Arena Ferox. Chrom's iconic pose comes from the way he (and Lucina) masterfully swings his sword around both of his arms in a pinwheel like pattern. Along with the two-handed fighting style, I think this shows that Chrom is fairly proficient in fighting with both of his arms, and makes use of switching arms (sometimes even throwing his blade) to get around his opponent. I think the most impressive manuevers in this fight are one in which Lucina combines a jumping roundhouse kick, followed by a sideways arced forward slash, and an incredible manuever performed by both Chrom and Lucina in which, from an aerial position, they rapidly front-flip while swinging they're blade toward the opponent. Stylistically, it DOES look similar to Ike's Aether in Brawl, but they are able to angle the attack in a way to launch themselves at their opponent.

Using these moves and animations as influences, I think Chrom can have an incredibly athletic fighting style that makes use approaching the opponent through leaping attacks/kicks and attacking by arcing his blade in unusual angles as he slashes, while being able to perform combos by rapidly swinging his blade as he switches hands, as well as more powerful moves where he uses both arms to slash in a forward arc (as opposed to a downward slam). Special moves can make use of the more "specified maneuvers" Chrom has displayed, such as the rapid front-flip spin and rapidly spinning the blade around both arms.

As for the Final Smash, I like the idea of making use of Fire Emblem Awakening's "Dual Support" system, where other characters jump in for team attacks. In this specific example, Lucina appears from a portal, and the duo perform a team attacks on the opponent; this example is entirely based on a cutscene early in the game.

I hope this was the kind of thing you were looking for. And thank you!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Okay.

The context here was last night, I was posting in the roster thread on why I would like Chrom as a character. I was...challenged? Encouraged? Inspired?...to describe an idea for an original moveset for Chrom, the way I envisioned it.

This was my response. I was a little tired when I wrote it, so there's a couple words I would change reading it now...but I do like it:
Nice. I've never seen someone pay that much attention to the cutscenes for inspiration. Much better compared to the other observations that were made.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Okay.

Mind if I add that to the OP? With credit to you, of course.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'd be flattered!
Nice! It's always good to add more good playstyle ideas to the OP, y'know?

That goes for anyone else who may want to post one, too! :p Haha, glad to see the thread's off its hiatus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom