• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Damn, I always had this gut feeling that Chrom would be on the starter roster if he gets in, and Marth would be unlockable. However, with Marth's reveal, now I'm not sure Marth will be unloackble (though, at this point, I'm leaning towards Marth being a starter). I mean, it's possible that both Chrom and Marth could be starters... I'm not too sure now lol.

What do you guys think? And which do you prefer for Chrom? Of course implying that we're getting unlockables.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm betting you a thousand that Chrom will face Mara in Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem. I mean, the whole fight just speaks for itself. :troll:

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Damn, I always had this gut feeling that Chrom would be on the starter roster if he gets in, and Marth would be unlockable. However, with Marth's reveal, now I'm not sure Marth will be unloackble (though, at this point, I'm leaning towards Marth being a starter). I mean, it's possible that both Chrom and Marth could be starters... I'm not too sure now lol.

What do you guys think? And which do you prefer for Chrom? Of course implying that we're getting unlockables.
I think some of the revealed characters could still end up being unlockable. I think certain characters do need to be confirmed by Sakurai in order to reaffirm people's purchases.

If Chrom was in the game, I still think he will be a starter, not an unlockable. Perhaps they could go Marth and Chrom as starters, plus Ike as an unlockable?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Perhaps they could go Marth and Chrom as starters, plus Ike as an unlockable?
That's what I'm thinking, personally. Ike goes on to be an unlockable, Marth makes the jump to starter, and Chrom becomes a starter.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't really think they look that bad myself. Not to mention it's just more promotion for Chrom, Lucina, and Awakening.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Oh wow, and I just saw a promo vid of the costumes today. For those who haven't seen it:

It's pretty cool Awakening is getting some promotion. I think Chrom looks okay, but Lucina seems a little "off" to me haha.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
You know i never even thought of the possibility of chrom using the shield of seals in this game, even if it was just pulled out for defense in some way.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
By the way, since Chrom is guaranteed to happen and absolutely cater to the lowest common denominator possible much to the carnage of Fire Emblem fans, I'd say it would be a good idea to just simply hope for at least the best case scenario for how the character is designed, which I severely doubt at this rate. Gotta give up on expecting something else and at least try to make something out of this guy, which bloody sucks.

Bleh... this is really depressing. We should get something a lot better then this.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What's with the title?

Is Chrom Obama or something?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Chrom's big thighs look nice on those models. And that is where the compliments stop.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
I've never played Monster Hunter but if I can dress them up as Chrom, Lucina, or any Fire Emblem character count me in!

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If Chrom is the new Fire Emblem guy, I really do hope they do something good to make him a worthy addition. Saying it isn't possible is a crock, but the possibility is there, and I would be heavily disappointed if he wasn't his own character.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If Chrom is the new Fire Emblem guy, I really do hope they do something good to make him a worthy addition. Saying it isn't possible is a crock, but the possibility is there, and I would be heavily disappointed if he wasn't his own character.
I wouldn't worry too much. The worst I can see is semi-clone, honestly, and even I'm shaky on the likelihood of that. Or his Down B will be Counter again, because **** canon.:laugh: He definitely has enough to work with.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Chrom is like the new Winder Waker Link.

People expecting a lot of unorthodox attacks to be used and denying the factor that the character would have any relation to another character.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I myself am not really expecting use of a lance or anything unless Sakurai is purposely creative with Chrom. But in my opinion, if you can make Roy unique from Marth and Ike, then they can do it for Chrom too.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I myself am not really expecting use of a lance or anything unless Sakurai is purposely creative with Chrom. But in my opinion, if you can make Roy unique from Marth and Ike, then they can do it for Chrom too.
Very true. If Chrom doesn't do a weapon shifting moveset, I definitely like, for example, Pizzadudemanguy's idea for a more "athletic" swordplay that neither Ike nor Marth currently offer in Smash.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Very true. If Chrom doesn't do a weapon shifting moveset, I definitely like, for example, Pizzadudemanguy's idea for a more "athletic" swordplay that neither Ike nor Marth currently offer in Smash.
Marth and Ike, not athletic?

Something's not right there.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think that Chrom's chances are getting higher.
Of course there will be disagreements, but the fact that Awakening is an important game, he will be in SM x FE, and that he is in Monster Hunter prove that he is becoming more important than some give him credit for.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think that Chrom's chances are getting higher.
Of course there will be disagreements, but the fact that Awakening is an important game, he will be in SM x FE, and that he is in Monster Hunter prove that he is becoming more important than some give him credit for.
Which apparently makes him a good character.

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone ever suggested him as a anti-projectile character? Because he has access to quite a few skills that could be translated as such into Smash, like Aegis and Bowbreaker, and it would differentiate him from the existing Fire Emblem characters in Smash.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Which apparently makes him a good character.
I never said he's a good character. I don't think he's bad, but I like Marth and Ike better.
What I said was that he is being advertised quite a bit lately. Note that he is in Monster Hunter next to the likes of Mario, Luigi, and Link.
They could of added Roy, couldn't they? But they didn't. They didn't even add Marth or Ike, they added Chrom and Lucina.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Has anyone ever suggested him as a anti-projectile character?
You mean like (ironically) Pit?

Pit is a character that can retaliate against many projectiles. He's got two forms of reflection, Wings of Icarus can cancel out projectiles, Palutena's Arrow can cancel out other projectiles, and some of his standard attacks like his neutral aerial can cancel out weaker projectiles.

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
You mean like (ironically) Pit?

Pit is a character that can retaliate against many projectiles. He's got two forms of reflection, Wings of Icarus can cancel out projectiles, Palutena's Arrow can cancel out other projectiles, and some of his standard attacks like his neutral aerial can cancel out weaker projectiles.
Less retaliation, more negation. Like a wave of energy that abruptly cancels projectiles without doing damage, or something similar. Make him different from Marth and Ike, while also keeping him from serving as a worse version of Pit.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Marth and Ike, not athletic?

Something's not right there.
I think pizza explained it better than I could. I'd find the exact post, but I'm on my 3DS due to a computer breakage, so sadly my options are limited. I think I quoted it in the OP, if that helps.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think pizza explained it better than I could.
Pizza The Hutt said:
I'll do my best to describe it, but I'm a little tired.

The animations that Chrom has in Awakening and the cutscenes that display the battles of both Chrom and Lucina show the specific kinds of manuevers I mean. Because Lucina says that she learned her moves "from her Father," I think it's completely reasonable to incorporate her attacks into Chrom's moveset.

When looking at Chrom's in-battle animations, he jumps a lot (which isn't too uncommon for Fire Emblem Lords), and he angles his sword in arcs that look...very uncomfortable for his arm. Some of his battle animations seem to directly contradict what Marth does: For instance, when he rushes forward to strike, he stabs at an upward-diagonal angle, as opposed to Marth who slashes. When Chrom strikes upward, he slashes TOWARDS HIMSELF at an arc to essentially "uppercut" the opponent with his blade, and follow through outward to pull the opponent in.

When looking at the various cutscenes through Awakening, their are a lot of other moves that I find inspiring. One of the first we see is a fight against the Risen in the beginning. One of the small details that I find interesting in how he fights in this cutscene is how he uses two hands to strike with a forward slash for more power. Ike does something similar sometimes, but it's a bit more unusual with Chrom's smaller blade. In several cutscenes, when Chrom is able to use more power (such as when an enemy is being held off), he switches to a two-handed style that's much more straightforward than his regular way of fighting.

The most impressive display, though, is the cutscene of his fight against Lucina in Arena Ferox. Chrom's iconic pose comes from the way he (and Lucina) masterfully swings his sword around both of his arms in a pinwheel like pattern. Along with the two-handed fighting style, I think this shows that Chrom is fairly proficient in fighting with both of his arms, and makes use of switching arms (sometimes even throwing his blade) to get around his opponent. I think the most impressive manuevers in this fight are one in which Lucina combines a jumping roundhouse kick, followed by a sideways arced forward slash, and an incredible manuever performed by both Chrom and Lucina in which, from an aerial position, they rapidly front-flip while swinging they're blade toward the opponent. Stylistically, it DOES look similar to Ike's Aether in Brawl, but they are able to angle the attack in a way to launch themselves at their opponent.

Using these moves and animations as influences, I think Chrom can have an incredibly athletic fighting style that makes use approaching the opponent through leaping attacks/kicks and attacking by arcing his blade in unusual angles as he slashes, while being able to perform combos by rapidly swinging his blade as he switches hands, as well as more powerful moves where he uses both arms to slash in a forward arc (as opposed to a downward slam). Special moves can make use of the more "specified maneuvers" Chrom has displayed, such as the rapid front-flip spin and rapidly spinning the blade around both arms.

As for the Final Smash, I like the idea of making use of Fire Emblem Awakening's "Dual Support" system, where other characters jump in for team attacks. In this specific example, Lucina appears from a portal, and the duo perform a team attacks on the opponent; this example is entirely based on a cutscene early in the game.
This does not really give much insight on anything. Blah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom