• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hong

The Strongest
Chrom absolutely MUST utter "Gck-Gods!.. hnngh..." when launched at high percentages.

Bring back the days of trying to beat the demo on Lunatic without using Frederick.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As far as taunts, here's what I think:

Down Taunt: His victory pose in Awakening with the Falchion.
Side Taunt: His Falchion glows for a bit as Chrom holds it out.
Up Taunt: Lifts his Falchion and yells "Anything can change!"

Hong

The Strongest
I don't know about that. I really liked Niko Mar's "Now I'm angry!"

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't know about that. I really liked Niko Mar's "Now I'm angry!"
True. In all honesty, I forgot about it when writing the list, haha. The glowing Falchion taunt can definitely leave in its place, haha.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not meaning to double-post, but I just wanted to inform everyone that the OP has gone through a few changes, so hopefully there will be little to no typos now.

That being said, anyone else think we may get Chrom in April?

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
I'm really trying to care about this character, due to the fact I keep seeing him in signatures, I keep seeing videos about him. His movesets. Had to actually read the thread to know more about him.

I guess I'm just one of the few who don't care. Then again, my opinion doesn't hold much ground. I think I played two Fire Emblem games. To be fair, all the characters were extremely forgettable to me except this girl who had a white hood, and a blue haired thief. I liked them both.

As a Smash fan who wants an interesting character? My concern falls under the "Why should I care about this guy?". All he is to me, is another sword user. And granted, I like the unique move sets given to him. I'm sure Fire Emblem fans have their own reasoning for him.

But when I tried to look up different characters from the game, there are definitely some that come off as more of an interesting choice for a game like Super Smash Bros. Hell, even Lucina seems like something different. Sully looks like she could bring in a whole new style to the game.

I just feel there'd be alot more interesting picks, from the game Chrom starred in.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Not meaning to double-post, but I just wanted to inform everyone that the OP has gone through a few changes, so hopefully there will be little to no typos now.

I think its very likely. Little mac came two months after rosalina, that would put the next reveal in april. Plus its a significant month for fire emblem awakening itself.

Hong

The Strongest

Good stuff! Don't forget to take out the quote tags from my moveset so that it stops getting truncated.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just a fair warning, larger images should probably be collapsed.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Not here to cause havoc.

Just wanted to post this quote Hong said to see some perspectives at play.

Hong said:
Chronology of Awakening fan opinion

Pre-Awakening Release:
"Who's that? Is he the new main character? KROM FOR SM4SH!"

Awakening Release:
"Whoa, Chrom is cool. CHROM FOR SM4SH"

A month later after everyone has beaten the game:
"Lucina is cool. LUCINA FOR SM4SH!

But isn't she like Marth?"

Post Smash 4 E3 Reveal:
"Can't wait until CHROM IS REVEALED."

A few months later:
"So... How will Chrom play?

..."

Now:
"ROBIN FOR SM4SH!"

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
Maybe people should just take a step back, going off that thing Xenoblaze quoted and ask "Do we really need another Fire Emblem rep who uses a sword?

The game has so many different classes, that it almost makes the game seem like **** when all you put in is blue haired pretty boys/or red on occasion with swords.

The game is so diverse, I think they should start showing it.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Maybe people should just take a step back, going off that thing Xenoblaze quoted and ask "Do we really need another Fire Emblem rep who uses a sword?

The game has so many different classes, that it almost makes the game seem like **** when all you put in is blue haired pretty boys/or red on occasion with swords.

The game is so diverse, I think they should start showing it.
"Micaiah enchants the battlefield!"

Actually, I'd be fine with Micaiah if we can get more diversity. Heck, even Anna would be swell.

Oh, I would have plenty of renditions I would like to post, though I am not sure how well it would check up with the forum Code of Conduct.
Remember the Chrom's exalted asspad guys?

Because I certainly remember my meme right here.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
So here it is! I finally composed my moveset for Chrom. Guess you could say, it goes beyond just saying that I support him, especially with some of the more noisome arguments that come out of his support base. I'd appreciate it if you would archive it in the OP as well as critique it and tell me if there's anything I missed. After all, with your input, I may very well tweak some things:

[collapse=Captain Hotcakes' Moveset for Chrom]
Playstyle: Chrom is a mid weight rush down fighter who specializes in closing space and creating space for himself. He can weave in and out of fights as he pleases with the maneuvers of his Neutral Special and Up Special. He can also put you where he wants with an additional function of his Down Special. While he's no Marth, his attacks are quick and powerful for pressuring opponents.

Special Moves

Neutral Special - Leaping Slash

Chrom holds out his Falchion for a charge. When he releases the charge, he will jump forward in an arc that becomes longer with charge and do an overhead slash. The longer he charges, the farther he jumps and the less transparent a glow of blue flames will be on his Falchion.

Instant (w/o charge): Chrom jumps a space right in front of himself. The arc is parabolic and takes no more than a second to execute.
½ charge: Chrom jumps in an arc roughly two Stage Builder blocks in front of himself.
¾ charge: Chrom jumps in an arc roughly four Stage Builder blocks in front of himself.
Full charge: Chrom will jump roughly half the length of Final Destination. The arc will be high enough that large projectiles can be avoided during the jump.

Additionally, at any point during the jump, Chrom can end it by falling with his sword raised out. You can do this by pressing down and the attack button.

Chrom occasionally does this attack in Fire Emblem: Awakening, usually when at a fair distance, critically striking, and in the Fire Emblem: Awakening Puzzle Swap panel and the cutscene where he fights Lucina.

Side Special - Dual Strike+

Chrom does a downward diagonal slash before bounding forward and drawing another slash back. His Falchion glows with blue flames as he slashes. Both strikes cannot be cancelled, but the speed into the second slash can be executed quicker by tilting forward and pressing special button again.

> Aether

If the second slash is done during a short point of frames in the animation, Chrom will swing his Falchion to hold it overhead with both hands and slashing forward with reddish-orange flames. It has knockback and will hit with a sparkling effect that glows bright before fading out along with the lifesteal sound when Aether hits in Awakening. Chrom can transfer his damage from 5%-8% between him and heal for the same amount from the opponent’s damage he hits.

Dual Strike+ is an ability first learned in the Lord class which premiered in Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Aether is an ability learn by Great Lords at Level 5 in Awakening and by the Occult Scroll to Lords and Heroes in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, the game it was introduced in. It alternates the effects of the Sol and Luna skills by a percentage of the enemy’s Skill stat. It’s iconicity to the Super Smash Bros. series is as Ike’s Up Special in Brawl.

Up Special - Javelin Carousel

Chrom takes out a javelin, rapidly spinning its handle overhead. Upon startup, Chrom will be suspended in place for a second before coptering up. The javelin is only an inch bigger on both sides than Chrom horizontally. Chrom holds out the javelin until he makes contact with a ledge, surface, or does an aerial or special attack.

> Attack Button + Left/Right/Down while tilting: Javelin Toss

Chrom throws his javelin to his left side, right side, or below him depending on the direction the control stick is held along with the attack button. The javelin travels in a straight path, continually curving downwards the more distance it gets. It causes knockback upon hit.

> Attack Button + Left/Right/Down while holding: Javelin Lunge

Chrom lunges to his left side, right side, or below him with his javelin pointing out.

Once Chrom promotes to Great Lord (or Paladin for that matter), he gains the ability to use Lances. Javelins are lances which can attack at either close or at distance. Being the first lord in the Smash series to use an alternate weapon other than a sword, this would differentiate him a fair bit.

Down Special - Counter

“Think again!”, “Have another!”

Chrom blocks in front of him with the Fire Emblem. If he is hit, he performs an obtuse slash from above his shoulder to in front of him in the direction he was hit.

Every Fire Emblem character featured in Smash so far has a Counter as their Down Special, where they respond after being hit by an attack with another. Furthermore, the slash arc and direction vary from lord to lord.

The eponymous Fire Emblem is a mythical object that takes many forms depending on the game it is featured in like a MacGuffin. In Awakening, it takes the form of a shield used as the crest for the Ylissean royal family which has six beads containing the elemental powers of Naga.

Final Smash - Fate of Falchions

“Now…”

Chrom raises his Falchion over his head as it glows with blue flames. He then does a massive dashing slash forward at a medium length. This Final Smash activates when it makes contact with an opponent, where they are suspended in blue haze before Chrom.

A rift portal (the one in the second cutscene of Awakening) opens above the space over the opposite end of Chrom before closing, where Lucina in her Masked Marth outfit drops down.

“As one!”

Chrom and Lucina perform a volley of fierce, blue flaming slashes, doing so while they rotate around the opponent and other opponents who contact them (like Link‘s Triforce Slash.) After 8 seconds, Chrom and Lucina draw their Falchions by their sides before slashing across in a blue glowing X, causing massive damage and knockback to the opponent and whoever else is caught in it. They land precisely with Lucina saluting in with a bow of her head and a hand over her chest before fading away in a blue flicker.

Chrom and Lucina are pitted in a rivalry of sorts in the early chapters of Awakening. They share a father-daughter relationship and both wield the Falchion, although from different periods of time. Their united sword combo is reminiscent of a scene in the Awakening intro movie where they are briefly shown fencing swords. I guess you can consider her cameo as a “consolation prize” to her fans if she isn’t included in the game.

Grapples

Pummel: Chrom knees his opponent to where the shin should be.

Down Throw - Pair Up > Assist/Guard

A nod to the Pair Up system introduced in his game (although not necessarily in the same function,) Chrom shoves his opponent behind his side, where they will be suspended in stuttering idle and walk animations as they are paired. The opponent will follow Chrom a certain distance for 4 seconds before regaining control of themselves or when Chrom moves too far away for them to keep following. Chrom cannot do any other action besides ground movement until he “throws” the character by tilting the control stick where they will dash before him and take damage from any attack in that direction or tilting the control stick plus the attack button, where they will do the first hit in their Jab.

Forward Throw: Chrom quickly winds his arm back before tossing his opponent forward.
Back Throw: Chrom backhand tosses his opponent.
Up Throw: Chrom quickly winds his arm below him before tossing his opponent above him.

Standard Attacks

Jab: Chrom delivers a forward slash, then swiping back diagonally upwards before sweeping his opponent off his feet with a two-hand diagonal downward slash.
Dash: Chrom does a wide forward slash that reaches out before going across his shoulder.
Forward Tilt: Chrom draws out the tip of his Falchion for a quick thrust.
Up Tilt: Chrom slashes a quick arc above his head.
Down Tilt: Chrom stabs his Falchion towards where the feet should be on the opponent.
Forward Smash: Chrom holds his Falchion behind him before slashing above him in a wide arc and brings in down in his direction.
Up Smash: Chrom crouches before hoping up for a fierce uppercut slash, revolving slightly in the air before regaining footing.
Down Smash: Chrom sweeps his Falchion below him, then behind him.
Get Up: Chrom slashes his Falchion around him as he gets to his feet.
Ledge: Chrom lunges the tip of his Falchion forward.

Aerial Attacks

Neutral Air: Chrom crouches as he holds his Falchion out and spins his body a few times.
Side Air: Chrom slashes in front of him, turning around briefly.
Back Air: Chrom jabs with his other hands before thrusting his Falchion behind him.
Up Air: Chrom does an uppercut slash in a wide arc.
Down Air: Chrom stabs the Falchion down between his legs, falling towards the bottom of the stage for a second. Gains fair distance and can spike if whipped out during the startup frames.

Taunts

Up Taunt: Chrom bows as he puts the jewel in the handle of the Falchion before his left eye as he closes them solemnly. The symbol of the Ylissean royal family puffs out in blue flames before Chrom draws the sword to its default stance.
Side Taunt: Chrom steps forward as he extends the Falchion outward, saying “Anything can change!” before spinning Falchion by the handle back to his side.
Down Taunt: Chrom stabs Falchion into the ground, places both hands on the handle, and kneels down facing the screen, saying “My strength is yours.” as if he is speaking to the player.[/collapse]

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I actually really like it! I like the Neutral Special, in particular, as well as the Down Throw. I'll add it to the OP. :)

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Thanks, Opossum! While your at it, you can dd me to the support list as well. Chrom's been, like, my top support since pre-E3 speculation and no other support has made that waiver.

Personally, along with the two you listed, I'm proud of the Up Special. Really like how many of the other movesets are incorporating his skills and weapons in believable ways too. I'd love to play a Chrom subscribing to many of them (as well as mine, 'cuz snob appeal.)

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So are you guys thinking Chrom MIGHT be revealed in April? It's Awakening's second anniversary, and while not as significant as other anniversaries that month, (Super Metroid 20th, NnMj 28th) it could still be a good time.

Hmm.

Edit: Actually wait a sec, its the 24th anniversary of the series. Well, if we don't have Ike by then, we might get him then and Chrom or so at E3. Hmm...

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
It seems like it is pretty much between Pale Tuna, Tacky Tomato or a FE13 character for April reveal. Of course, Sakurai could just throw us a curveball and reveal something like Miis just because.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm still personally banking on April for Chrom. I think Ike would probably be shown later, like, closer to launch.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
TBH, the fact that Chrom (or any FE newcomer for that matter) has not been announced yet feels really excruciating. Especially since a new rep is highly likely.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Well, I guess another mocking sort of pet name I have is Captain Chromch. It just fits absurdly well with The Sheperds sometimes refering to him as their captain.

Don't give him ideas!

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Here I am!

So here it is! I finally composed my moveset for Chrom. Guess you could say, it goes beyond just saying that I support him, especially with some of the more noisome arguments that come out of his support base. I'd appreciate it if you would archive it in the OP as well as critique it and tell me if there's anything I missed. After all, with your input, I may very well tweak some things:

[collapse=Captain Hotcakes' Moveset for Chrom]
Playstyle: Chrom is a mid weight rush down fighter who specializes in closing space and creating space for himself. He can weave in and out of fights as he pleases with the maneuvers of his Neutral Special and Up Special. He can also put you where he wants with an additional function of his Down Special. While he's no Marth, his attacks are quick and powerful for pressuring opponents.

Special Moves

Neutral Special - Leaping Slash

Chrom holds out his Falchion for a charge. When he releases the charge, he will jump forward in an arc that becomes longer with charge and do an overhead slash. The longer he charges, the farther he jumps and the less transparent a glow of blue flames will be on his Falchion.

Instant (w/o charge): Chrom jumps a space right in front of himself. The arc is parabolic and takes no more than a second to execute.
½ charge: Chrom jumps in an arc roughly two Stage Builder blocks in front of himself.
¾ charge: Chrom jumps in an arc roughly four Stage Builder blocks in front of himself.
Full charge: Chrom will jump roughly half the length of Final Destination. The arc will be high enough that large projectiles can be avoided during the jump.

Additionally, at any point during the jump, Chrom can end it by falling with his sword raised out. You can do this by pressing down and the attack button.

Chrom occasionally does this attack in Fire Emblem: Awakening, usually when at a fair distance, critically striking, and in the Fire Emblem: Awakening Puzzle Swap panel and the cutscene where he fights Lucina.

Side Special - Dual Strike+

Chrom does a downward diagonal slash before bounding forward and drawing another slash back. His Falchion glows with blue flames as he slashes. Both strikes cannot be cancelled, but the speed into the second slash can be executed quicker by tilting forward and pressing special button again.

> Aether

If the second slash is done during a short point of frames in the animation, Chrom will swing his Falchion to hold it overhead with both hands and slashing forward with reddish-orange flames. It has knockback and will hit with a sparkling effect that glows bright before fading out along with the lifesteal sound when Aether hits in Awakening. Chrom can transfer his damage from 5%-8% between him and heal for the same amount from the opponent’s damage he hits.

Dual Strike+ is an ability first learned in the Lord class which premiered in Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Aether is an ability learn by Great Lords at Level 5 in Awakening and by the Occult Scroll to Lords and Heroes in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, the game it was introduced in. It alternates the effects of the Sol and Luna skills by a percentage of the enemy’s Skill stat. It’s iconicity to the Super Smash Bros. series is as Ike’s Up Special in Brawl.

Up Special - Javelin Carousel

Chrom takes out a javelin, rapidly spinning its handle overhead. Upon startup, Chrom will be suspended in place for a second before coptering up. The javelin is only an inch bigger on both sides than Chrom horizontally. Chrom holds out the javelin until he makes contact with a ledge, surface, or does an aerial or special attack.

> Attack Button + Left/Right/Down while tilting: Javelin Toss

Chrom throws his javelin to his left side, right side, or below him depending on the direction the control stick is held along with the attack button. The javelin travels in a straight path, continually curving downwards the more distance it gets. It causes knockback upon hit.

> Attack Button + Left/Right/Down while holding: Javelin Lunge

Chrom lunges to his left side, right side, or below him with his javelin pointing out.

Once Chrom promotes to Great Lord (or Paladin for that matter), he gains the ability to use Lances. Javelins are lances which can attack at either close or at distance. Being the first lord in the Smash series to use an alternate weapon other than a sword, this would differentiate him a fair bit.

Down Special - Counter

“Think again!”, “Have another!”

Chrom blocks in front of him with the Fire Emblem. If he is hit, he performs an obtuse slash from above his shoulder to in front of him in the direction he was hit.

Every Fire Emblem character featured in Smash so far has a Counter as their Down Special, where they respond after being hit by an attack with another. Furthermore, the slash arc and direction vary from lord to lord.

The eponymous Fire Emblem is a mythical object that takes many forms depending on the game it is featured in like a MacGuffin. In Awakening, it takes the form of a shield used as the crest for the Ylissean royal family which has six beads containing the elemental powers of Naga.

Final Smash - Fate of Falchions

“Now…”

Chrom raises his Falchion over his head as it glows with blue flames. He then does a massive dashing slash forward at a medium length. This Final Smash activates when it makes contact with an opponent, where they are suspended in blue haze before Chrom.

A rift portal (the one in the second cutscene of Awakening) opens above the space over the opposite end of Chrom before closing, where Lucina in her Masked Marth outfit drops down.

“As one!”

Chrom and Lucina perform a volley of fierce, blue flaming slashes, doing so while they rotate around the opponent and other opponents who contact them (like Link‘s Triforce Slash.) After 8 seconds, Chrom and Lucina draw their Falchions by their sides before slashing across in a blue glowing X, causing massive damage and knockback to the opponent and whoever else is caught in it. They land precisely with Lucina saluting in with a bow of her head and a hand over her chest before fading away in a blue flicker.

Chrom and Lucina are pitted in a rivalry of sorts in the early chapters of Awakening. They share a father-daughter relationship and both wield the Falchion, although from different periods of time. Their united sword combo is reminiscent of a scene in the Awakening intro movie where they are briefly shown fencing swords. I guess you can consider her cameo as a “consolation prize” to her fans if she isn’t included in the game.

Grapples

Pummel: Chrom knees his opponent to where the shin should be.

Down Throw - Pair Up > Assist/Guard

A nod to the Pair Up system introduced in his game (although not necessarily in the same function,) Chrom shoves his opponent behind his side, where they will be suspended in stuttering idle and walk animations as they are paired. The opponent will follow Chrom a certain distance for 4 seconds before regaining control of themselves or when Chrom moves too far away for them to keep following. Chrom cannot do any other action besides ground movement until he “throws” the character by tilting the control stick where they will dash before him and take damage from any attack in that direction or tilting the control stick plus the attack button, where they will do the first hit in their Jab.

Forward Throw: Chrom quickly winds his arm back before tossing his opponent forward.
Back Throw: Chrom backhand tosses his opponent.
Up Throw: Chrom quickly winds his arm below him before tossing his opponent above him.

Standard Attacks

Jab: Chrom delivers a forward slash, then swiping back diagonally upwards before sweeping his opponent off his feet with a two-hand diagonal downward slash.
Dash: Chrom does a wide forward slash that reaches out before going across his shoulder.
Forward Tilt: Chrom draws out the tip of his Falchion for a quick thrust.
Up Tilt: Chrom slashes a quick arc above his head.
Down Tilt: Chrom stabs his Falchion towards where the feet should be on the opponent.
Forward Smash: Chrom holds his Falchion behind him before slashing above him in a wide arc and brings in down in his direction.
Up Smash: Chrom crouches before hoping up for a fierce uppercut slash, revolving slightly in the air before regaining footing.
Down Smash: Chrom sweeps his Falchion below him, then behind him.
Get Up: Chrom slashes his Falchion around him as he gets to his feet.
Ledge: Chrom lunges the tip of his Falchion forward.

Aerial Attacks

Neutral Air: Chrom crouches as he holds his Falchion out and spins his body a few times.
Side Air: Chrom slashes in front of him, turning around briefly.
Back Air: Chrom jabs with his other hands before thrusting his Falchion behind him.
Up Air: Chrom does an uppercut slash in a wide arc.
Down Air: Chrom stabs the Falchion down between his legs, falling towards the bottom of the stage for a second. Gains fair distance and can spike if whipped out during the startup frames.

Taunts

Up Taunt: Chrom bows as he puts the jewel in the handle of the Falchion before his left eye as he closes them solemnly. The symbol of the Ylissean royal family puffs out in blue flames before Chrom draws the sword to its default stance.
Side Taunt: Chrom steps forward as he extends the Falchion outward, saying “Anything can change!” before spinning Falchion by the handle back to his side.
Down Taunt: Chrom stabs Falchion into the ground, places both hands on the handle, and kneels down facing the screen, saying “My strength is yours.” as if he is speaking to the player.[/collapse]
Here's how I imagine Chrom's Up Special:

Nice Moveset doh, dat booty!

I'm still personally banking on April for Chrom. I think Ike would probably be shown later, like, closer to launch.
I still have an extreme confidence that Chrom will be the next newcomer revealed. I had the same feeling for Little Mac before his reveal (but of course I only posted about it in the Smashcast skype chat :p ).

I also think that Ike will be a secret character. Just because, assuming they made Marth a starter this time 'round.

Also.....why am I not on the supporter list...:scared:.....

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Well hey, Smash has always been based around the suspension of disbelief, right? Who cares if Chrom never actually did that with a javelin or spear! :bee: I wanted Chrom to do something that deviated from the norm when it came to lance-based attacks.

Unlike Waddle Dee's heli-spear, (I'll be speaking from Return to Dreamland here) you don't just hold the charge with the attack button, hold up, and fly freely in the air. Chrom would stutter for a second after taking out the javelin and fly straight upwards. Also, I didn't picture him spinning the javelin so fast that it becomes blurred, unlike Waddle Dee. :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom